Comedian Ellen DeGeneres apologizes for iPhone commercial parody

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

He has navy people working for him?

hehe

FYI - why yes, you don't know about NCIS? (they're a part of REACT)

or perhaps you should watch more TV?
  • Reply 62 of 149
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Regime Apple.

If they are trying to be unsymphatetic they are doing well the past few months.
  • Reply 63 of 149
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

The best way for Apple to have handled this would have been for Steve to appear on the show the next day to personally show Ellen how to use the phone. No interview, just a 30 second tutorial from teh Steve. And then give each audience member a phone or iPad. Could have been funny and fantastic ad/pr.

Amen. Handing out ipads to the public would be expensive though but yes, it be the best pr stunt :-)
  • Reply 64 of 149
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

perhaps someone needs to learn how to tell a joke :-)

Hehe... yeeeah, I thought it was kind of funny. Especially the opening joke where she presses the map. But ending with iPhone 3Gs logo and the corporate logo... I understand Apple's blood pressure must have boomed.

The way she apologized though I thought was very humble and down to earth. She didn't need to, no, but it's a nice gesture, good karma and she didn't at all make herself or Apple look bad. Apple was upset, and she got them to calm in a very humble and sincere way.
  • Reply 65 of 149
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    This happens pretty frequently.

Ellen's salary on American Idol is paid partially by Apple, and she forgot that when she did the parody.

Why do you think the American television news sugar coats the american oil industry and car industry, rarely names specific fast food restaurants when they're reporting about how awful they are, almost never expose how shitty health insurance companies are, etc etc.

Because they don't want to lose all that sweet money!
  • Reply 66 of 149
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

This happens pretty frequently.

Ellen's salary on American Idol is paid partially by Apple, and she forgot that when she did the parody.

Why do you think the American television news sugar coats the american oil industry and car industry, rarely names specific fast food restaurants when they're reporting about how awful they are, almost never expose how shitty health insurance companies are, etc etc.

Because they don't want to lose all that sweet money!

Every NATO allies News is brought to you by a conglomeration of corporations. Next.
  • Reply 67 of 149
    headrush69headrush69 Posts: 45member
    Considering we have no clue what Apple's or an Appe's employee contact with Ellen was seems a bit of jumping to conslusion here.

Could be a simple as "Hey, you know we are an advertiser for yours show, and we didn't think that iPhone parody was very funny considering simplicity is our #1 advertising point."

No threats, no lawyers, just a reaction which is normal.

Frankly I have no problem with iproduct parodies since they are generally funny, (aka Mad TV 1-2-3-4 parody), but saying iPhones are hard to use, that's funny, really?
  • Reply 68 of 149
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    A J O K E "Mr. Macintosh". Lighten the fu&^ck up. Jesus Christ (no not you Steve), life is pretty god damn short, you of all people should know this. If you can't find something funny in what people are saying about your products, then I suggest you take some more time off, and let others do this for you. Laugh and get on with the next part of your day.

Let folks ENJOY life and laugh a little. What is it going to hurt?

First off you got FREE air time, and then you got some MORE free air time, for that kudos.

Remember folks "Laughter IS the BEST Medicine"!

Skip
  • Reply 69 of 149
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Ellen The Degenerate at it again!
  • Reply 70 of 149
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    good stuff.
  • Reply 71 of 149
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Not sure who looks the bigger fool here, Apple for complaining or DeGeneres for apologizing.

Apple, because DeGeneres probably got a big fat cheque for it and the fawning followup.
  • Reply 72 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nothing to do with protecting Apple from comedians but remember Apple is a major sponsor of Idol where no doubt she is very well paid. So it was tactless for her to do the skit in the first place as it would be for any personality that makes money from a sponsor to make fun of their product. Perhaps this could explain the apology.

Except that she wasn't making fun of the product, she was making fun of baby boomers using technology. And it was spot on.

You and Apple both need a sense of humor. Apple is the one that comes off tactless and über-lame by making Ellen do an on-air apology.
  • Reply 73 of 149
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoopmac View Post

Not defending Apple's reaction, but my guess is that it comes down to the fact that Apple is a signature sponsor of American Idol. This must cost millions. Since Ellen is a judge of American Idol, they are probably not thrilled with her poking fun at their products.

Precisely.

For this reason I would never believe that Apple has been stupid enough to ask for public apologies, which only makes them look worse. A warning must have been enough.

So I suppose the relationship between DeGeneres and Apple has not become any better now that she did come back to the subject in public...

Glad she did it though - apologizing makes her seem a bit stupid at first, but as a sarcastic way to discomfort Apple a bit more after their dorky complaint, there is actually something cool about it.
  • Reply 74 of 149
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ellen might have been straying into a bit of misrepresentation here. It's not actually satire or parody, which are situations that no reasonable person would believe to be true. Ellen depicted the iPhone as hard to use (regardless of her intent), aping the Apple-style commercial, and then followed up with the iPhone 3G and Apple logos. We've got potential copyright issues, libel issues, etc.
  • Reply 75 of 149
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist View Post

Except that she wasn't making fun of the product, she was making fun of baby boomers using technology. And it was spot on.

You and Apple both need a sense of humor. Apple is the one that comes off tactless and über-lame by making Ellen do an on-air apology.

You need to read the first few words I wrote again, I stated I wasn't passing judgment nor defending Apple. I have an excellent sense of humor thank you. I was simply hazarding a guess at her reason for apologizing, i.e. perhaps a sponsorship agreement was in place ... I have no idea ... it was just a suggestion. There are numerous cases of celebs getting in trouble from sponsors due to things they say and do that are outside the guidelines of the conditions of sponsorship. BTW I come to this blog to chat with smart people with similar interests not jump down the throats of people I disagree with and make personal attacks.
  • Reply 76 of 149
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

Precisely.

For this reason I would never believe that Apple has been stupid enough to ask for public apologies, which only makes them look worse. A warning must have been enough.

So I suppose the relationship between DeGeneres and Apple has not become any better now that she did come back to the subject in public...

Glad she did it though - apologizing makes her seem a bit stupid at first, but as a sarcastic way to discomfort Apple a bit more after their dorky complaint, there is actually something cool about it.

Agreed, and it may not even have been Apple that recognized a potential sponsorship gaff (assuming that theory even has any legs) it could have been her own staff or Idol's.
  • Reply 77 of 149
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    If Apple really did complain, it's almost certainly misuse of corporate logos. Apple has to protect their trademarks or they lose them. The Apple brand is worth a TON of money which they have to protect.

Apple didn't complain about the other people who make fun of them - because the others didn't misuse Apple's trademarks by making their jokes look like a real Apple ad.

You folks are the ones who need to lighten up.
  • Reply 78 of 149
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

perhaps someone needs to learn how to take a joke :-)

Corrected.
  • Reply 79 of 149
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist View Post

Exactly. As I said before, this exactly mirrors my 60-year-old mom trying to use my iPhone. I'm sure some of you will respond back saying that "any idiot can use an iPhone", but not everyone simply "gets it" -- especially if you've never used a touch interface before.
  • Reply 80 of 149
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Come on, Apple bashers. This is not SJ writing from his iPad. This is someone deep in the bowels of the legal department being, well, litigious. The parody most likely crossed some legal boundary with logos and trademarks and likely has nothing to do with content. Some attorney did her job. That is what they are paid to do.

Naturally, Ellen did not come out and say that she crossed some boring, oblique legal boundary; she got as much mileage out of it as she could. That is exactly what a good comedian should do. Her apology was much funnier than the original joke. It wouldn't surprise me if there was no contact from Apple. The producers may have found that the joke fell somewhat flat, and found a way to spice it up.

Finally, if this was really a serious legal action from Apple, I think they would have demanded something more than an apology. This is not a playground. If they thought they were damaged, they would likely have demanded damages. People who are complaining that Apple should grow a sense of humor just don't get it. If Apple is really involved in this, then this IS Apple's sense of humor. It is some of the posters around here that should lighten up.