AT&T customers claim most dropped calls, least satisfaction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

What is everyone's signal strength from Field Test Mode? Mine is -90 to -113 most of the time here in NJ with my 3g on. When 3g is off, I do not have this issue.

To show your Field Test signal strength on your Iphone desktop on the top left corner, do the following:

Call: *3001#12345#*

The Field Test screen appears. The top left corner shows signal strength. Hold sleep wake until "slide to power off" shows up. Let go of sleep wake and then hold down the home button. You will now show the actual signal strength instead of bars. You can switch back and forth, but you at least now you now why you may have a dropped call. -50 is perfect signal strength and -113 is no coverage, terrible signal strength. Signal stength is misleading with the Bars because I show 2-4 bars even when my signal strength is over -100.

You can also force quit the field test screen and then you simply just tap on the bars. It will switch to the radio signal strength and vice versa so you won't have to type in that code each time you want to see your strength. This is mine right now:

• Reply 22 of 102
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    I agree that AT&T isn't as good as the rest but in my experience with verizon, they like to rape you on price. I had them for a long time and i got so frustrated that my bill was high and never the same. From month to month my bill would fluctuate and i was fed up.

If they get the iPhone, i think you will be shocked at what they will charge for data and texting. When they get their hands on the most prized phone in the US right now, there will be no stopping them. They will own your soul.

Also, i just don't see too power hungry companies that love control working well together. AT&T bent over for Apple and it saved their butt. Verizon won't do the same. They don't technically need Apple like AT&T did.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But my real question is WTH is killing AAPL? Is anyone going to try to convince me the Greece crisis has anything to do with Apple's stock, other than the market has been artificially pumped up and the effect is now drying up?

Is that a joke?

AAPL is up 100% in one year, and 25% in the last two months alone.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Ha! T-Mobile drops less than half as much as AT&T and is cheaper by at least $20 a month! For me, it's actually $30 a month cheaper, because I got grandfathered in For the record, I've had one dropped call during the last 2 years, though, so I guess either I'm lucky or T-Mobile has better reception than AT&T in Irvine and Fountain Valley. Sounds like a deal to my iPhone

Looks like Apple made a smart move dumping bad PR on AT&T, though. If they had tried building their own network, people would've been laughing or pointing fingers at Apple instead for excessive data usage. But of course, it's not the device that's actually consuming data, it's the users
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I agree that AT&T isn't as good as the rest but in my experience with verizon, they like to rape you on price. I had them for a long time and i got so frustrated that my bill was high and never the same. From month to month my bill would fluctuate and i was fed up.

If they get the iPhone, i think you will be shocked at what they will charge for data and texting. When they get their hands on the most prized phone in the US right now, there will be no stopping them. They will own your soul.

You mean like AT&T? If you price it out and max out the voice/data/text plans, they are exactly the same. The only difference is that they charge for visual voicemail.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    My wife and I live in the Seattle area and my wife HATES her iPhone because of AT&T's horrible service. She has been counting down the days until this summer when our two year contract is over. As soon as it is, she is going back to Verizon and taking me along with her.

I honestly don't have a problem with that. All we will be losing is cell service. And since she doesn't count as what we have as cell service, she isn't feeling is losing anything other than maybe a disease she is glad to be rid of.

We will be keeping our iPhones but they will become iTouches as we will still be able to use our iPhones for everything else when we have wifi.

We do plan on getting an iPad. I want to get the 3G version because of the GPS chip in it. No we won't be getting a 3G contract. My big question is whether the GPS chips works, or works well enough without a 3G account. That I don't know and no website has yet been able to answer that for me. That will determine if I waisted my money on the GPS program that I bought for my 3G iPhone which doesn't really run fast enough to run the GPS software anyway. The iPad would though, if the GPS chip works without 3G service.

That's my two cents worth.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    buckdutterbuckdutter Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post

Is that a joke?

AAPL is up 100% in one year, and 25% in the last two months alone.

But...but...the higher the price the better the company RIGHT??? How can Apple be going down when it is...like...the best company?
  • Reply 28 of 102
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Not only is the service mediocre, it's also good lord expensivo!!!

Seriously, can't wait to see the iPhone on any carrier, then we'll let them all compete to eat!
  • Reply 29 of 102
    garysturngarysturn Posts: 20member
    It's GSM, when AT&T was a CDMA network I never had any dropped calls, when they sold out to Cingular and switched to GSM the calls started dropping. I left Cingular and went to Verizon. Verizon was fine and I didn't have many problems. Then when the iPhone came out I switched back to AT&T. I don't have as many problems now as I did when they first switched to GSM but it is not quite as good as Verizon was. Verizon will have a lot of problems when they start switching to a full digital network, CDMA is more of an analog signal and is not as prone to drops but will fade in and out. GSM is all digital and it is either all or nothing. Verizon will be switching soon to a all digital network and they will have the same kind of problems while they build the new digital system. AT&T is way ahead of Verizon on the digital front so when Verizon starts to switch it will be Verizon that will be having the switching over problems of dropped calls.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

We do plan on getting an iPad. I want to get the 3G version because of the GPS chip in it. No we won't be getting a 3G contract.

They don't have a contract. It's month to month.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Does anyone know of a way to not pay the cancellation fee for a cell contract? I read from one of the forums in the WSJ that you can write a complaint to the FCC and then somehow be freed from your contract? Anyone have any magic way that they would like to share?

Cancel your contract, pay the termination fee, then sell the iPhone for way more than the cancellation fee was.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

...This is 2010, SHAME ON AT&T !!!! They'll be crying when they lose the EXCLUSIVITY of the IPHONE.

Maybe not. Maybe they'll be happy to have some of the burden lifted from their network. Personally, I hope that Verizon does get the iPhone. Arguments about whether Apple will invest in CDMA aside, it seems like a win-win situation for everyone. Apple will sell millions more iPhones and deal a serious blow to Android in the process, the strain on AT&T's network will ease, presumably giving those who stay on their network a better experience and all the Verizon holdouts will finally have their iPhones.

On a side note, I hardly ever drop calls except when I talk to my bro-in-law and only when he's driving home from work. So, despite the fact that our call gets dropped once every time we talk, I don't necessarily take that as a significant indicator of the quality of AT&T's network because there's obviously a factor on his route home that causes the problem.

Otherwise, I really can't complain about the network in my area as it has served me well during the past 16 months.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Not only is the service mediocre, it's also good lord expensivo!!!

The plan I had for my Blackberry Curve on Verizon before my iPhone was exactly the same price as my AT&T contract is now. Both providers charge $30/month for the data plan and the calling plan are pretty much the same as well.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But in March, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is currently working on a CDMA-capable iPhone

Do people actually still place any value in what they or their 'sources' have to say about a CDMA iPhone? Remember the Verizon iPad? The Verizon iPhone announcement at the iPad event? The CDMA iPhone rumors since like Christmas 2007?

I have a feeling if Apple makes one it will be at least 1 model behind whatever is available on GSM - for the sake of cost, and to encourage their partners who still carry an exclusive to continue providing a high subsidy on the device (for example AT&T paying an estimated $400 per iPhone in subsidy alone, not including compensation to Apple for new lines and upgrades). I also don't see Apple selling more than one carrier in their US stores anytime soon - they will stick with a "preferred" carrier for the sake of simplicity, and again to encourage the benefits they reap from having an exclusive partnership.

Also - it is very unlike Apple to have two of the same product with two sets of capabilities. With how much they have been advertising simultaneous voice and data lately, it seems like it would be back-peddling to have an iPhone that doesn't do everything the other does, even if it is on a carrier that gets better coverage. IF tethering ever does come stateside, it seems like it would not benefit as much being on CDMA since the phone could be a modem or a phone, not both simultaneously.

Maybe that is just me though. I for one would love for Verizon to get some version of the iPhone. I have enjoyed good service with AT&T and I would love to get even higher speeds with decreased network congestion. I will also really enjoy reading the forums when iPhones on Verizon aren't the second coming of Christ...then all the faithful who have held out that Verizon is the answer to all the iPhone woes will have no choice but to kill themselves because they will have nothing left to live for.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Maybe not. Maybe they'll be happy to have some of the burden lifted from their network. Personally, I hope that Verizon does get the iPhone. Arguments about whether Apple will invest in CDMA aside, it seems like a win-win situation for everyone. Apple will sell millions more iPhones and deal a serious blow to Android in the process, the strain on AT&T's network will ease, presumably giving those who stay on their network a better experience and all the Verizon holdouts will finally have their iPhones.

On a side note, I hardly ever drop calls except when I talk to my bro-in-law and only when he's driving home from work. So, despite the fact that our call gets dropped once every time we talk, I don't necessarily take that as a significant indicator of the quality of AT&T's network because there's obviously a factor on his route home that causes the problem.

Otherwise, I really can't complain about the network in my area as it has served me well during the past 16 months.

Well said, I doubt they will be crying really - they will leverage their 3G advantages (this does not include coverage :P), and I know they would really enjoy decreased network congestion and a break from the constant scrutiny of any iPhone related issues. Like I said in another post, I have a feeling AT&T will always be carrying the newest version of the phone, and that Apple will continue to sell only one "preferred" carrier in their stores. I honestly don't think AT&T would be hurting if they lost the exclusive - as long as they maintain a relationship as a preferred carrier - they could probably even get Apple to lower their prices on hardware to bleed a little less cash via subsidies.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    jbro1999jbro1999 Posts: 38member
    I'm not going to lie. I was a huge verizon fan. But I really wanted the iPhone. I have not had one problem with AT&T. I guess it depends on where you live.

I don't have the internet at home so my work gave me a Verizon air card. This thing is so SLOW. So slow that I jailbroke my phone so I can tether using AT&T. The different in speed is night and day.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    You mean AT&T's newer, gentler logo didn't solve it's shitty service problems? *Gasp*
  • Reply 38 of 102
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I own a 32G 3GS on Vodafone here in the bankrupt and staring communism in the eye UK.

Prior to my iPhone, I owned all manner of phones, including the excellent Sony Ericsson K800i, the very usable Nokia E71 and one or two others inbetween. Until the iPhone, I benefitted from a good signal and call quality wherever I went, within reason.

Since the iPhone, I get dropped calls several times a day and don't even get a signal in areas (and on trains) where I did with my prior phones - on the very same Vodafone network. Further, before I got my iPhone (in Feb 2010), when i was on calls to colleagues with an iPhone, the calls would also be dropped. It was almost like being in the 1980s. "I'm on the tr... Phut!"

...whitenoise...

"Hello?"

Can we not conclude that whilst the iPhone has a stunning usable GUI, and the app store has obsoleted boredom for eternity, it isn't really a very good phone? Perhaps AT&T do have problems, and here, Vodafone (and the other carriers) may not be perfect, but how do those with none iPhones get along? How is your HTC Desire? Your Nokia 1100? Your Palm Pre? Etc?

Truth is, Apple should have partnered up with Motorola in the design of the iPhone because like SE and Nokia, Moto have over 20 years experience in the nightmare that is wireless technology.

Tags de jour: Multipath distortion, shielding etc
  • Reply 39 of 102
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this data would be far more useful if the geographic location of each respondent was mapped to see where the calls were being dropped the most, as well as where customer satisfaction was the lowest.

nowhere in the original report does it mention where respondents were located.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    I just dont love my ATT service. been getting more and more dropped calls and crappy coverage.

problem seems to be worse not better now. don't know what to tell everyone here except i'd rather be on Verizon's network.

truth is that Apple ought to start letting all the mobile carries in USA offer service. just sell the hardware and let people choose what wireless carrier.

Apple is too focused on getting extra money each month from the service contract. let consumers get cheaper phone service. most people buy their iphone and keep for 2 years max anyway then upgrade.