Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Hmm... things Netbooks do well that the iPad doesn't:

Quote:

1. Cost $400 or less.

At this point its been proven that cost is not that important of a factor in a products success.

Quote:

2. Run the same operating system, office programs, etc that their desktops/work computers do (most of the time without needing to pay for an extra copy)

Running a desktop OS on an 11" screen is not a plus. This is going to be one of primary reasons netbooks don't become a mainstream product.

Quote:

3. Let you type long reports, write long mails, etc on a physical keyboard without needing to carry around an extra plug-in keyboard

Typing on those tiny keys is not easy for long reports.

Quote:

4. Skype (maybe there is support for this now, but not last time I checked)

Skype works on the iPad.

Quote:

5. Connect to peripherals everywhere easily and without needing to take special cables from home

Seeing as there are different cables for different peripherals, what special cables are you talking about?

Quote:

6. Access file types currently unavailable on the iPad (flash, FLAC, MKV, i'm sure there are more)

There is no need to support every obscure file type. The iPad only needs to support the most commonly used.

Quote:

7. Show the screen at an acceptable viewing angle for working without holding it in your hands or propping it up against something.

This is an odd comparison. Its a tablet, its whole purpose is to be a screen with nothing else.

Quote:

Again, iPad excels at accessing information, but Netbooks and Macbooks will have it beat for content creation for a long time to come...

The iPhone already has a wealth of content creation apps. From creating music, to shooting/editing video, to drawing sketches. The iPad will be a better platform for these apps than the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

IAny college student I've talked to that owns a netbook constantly complains about it, and talks about how it wasn't worth the cost regardless of the price. They wouldn't take an iPad in place of it, but many of them have said to me: "man, I wish I bought a Mac". For those who want a small netbook just to have something lightweight to browse the internet with in their bag, I do think the iPad is the ideal solution. I still don't plan to buy one, but kids who don't even own/like Apple notebooks are really interested in the iPad around campus.

I agree. I was bitten by the netbook bug because I wear a lot of hats, and server administration is one of them. I needed something small and light to carry around with me, so I didn't need to constantly be popping out a huge 17" MBP every time there was a server problem.

It turns out the netbook was a total waste of money. It worked as a remote desktop client, but not much more than that. It crashed frequently, Outlook couldn't handle my large email inbox, and just connecting to VPN seemed to drive the system load far enough to kill battery life and drive up heat. And it was SLOW despite being a higher-end unit. One word: Yuck.

I'm sold on the iPad. It accomplishes everything I need it to do and plenty more, it makes my life so much simpler and less frustrating, I'm a speed demon at typing on it, and I am annoyed far less when I need to pull it out to fix something. Just taking it out of my bag makes people around me smile. Now I just need one with a forward-facing camera for video conferencing. And a built-in tricorder so I can detect neutrino emissions from cloaked enemy starships. LOL...
  • Reply 23 of 147
    I'm not so sure it will eat into the Touch all that much. They serve two very different functions. You cannot put an iPad in your pocket being the primary difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can see iPod Touch being less appealing than an iPad for sure if one had to select one or the other. Apple have to have planned for that but it certainly doesn't eat into iPhone sales. The question is will they phase out Touches or drop the price significantly. If they do the latter I can see both Touch and iPad selling well.

• Reply 24 of 147
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    44% of ipad users don't understand the ipad simply better suits their needs than a notebook.

I mean seriously, if the ipad can replace your notebook, it means you weren't doing anything too advanced with a notebook (that you can't do with an ipad.)

This is the niche market Apple has tapped perfectly.
  • Reply 25 of 147
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Man I hope they don't kill off the touch and replace it with the iPad. I like the ability to chose my network and plan and still be able to use an iPod for everything else but calling.
  • Reply 26 of 147
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Since buying my iPad, use of my iPhone and iMac has dropped off dramatically and I now use iPad 90% of the time. The iPhone is just a phone to me now and I haven't used an app or the data network since getting the iPad. My iMac gets turned on to sync my iDevices and occasionally surf the web but that's it. If it was possible to use iPad as my main/only computer, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I completely agree with you on this, with a couple of exceptions.

I don't own the iPad, but i have use one for an extended period of time. My biggest complaint about this device is the fact that i can't see my home network or access my home network wirelessly through the iPad. Why not? The Apple TV does this, why not use that technology for the iPad.

My second biggest complaint about this device is that it's not a stand alone device. Why not? If apple sold it with a base station, perhaps the keyboard, that functioned as a docking station that you could plug in a Network cable to, that would really be all you need as a computer, for most (i.e. people who only need a computer for surfing the net, reading typing email, skype, occational long emails and school homework). THis might be less than 50% of all computer users, but it seems like a no brainer to me. I think they will sell even more of these devices if it was a stand-alone device.

If i owned an iPad, it definately would 75% replace my PC. For people as decribed above, like my mom, it could be the only device they need.

My only other suggestion for 3rd party accessory manufacturers would be to make an accessory like the Apple-made Keyboard, but make it in such a way so that the iPad plugs into it and the keyboard can fold over the screen (like a Netbook); therefore, making it almost like a net book and you can place it on your lap to type long emails or whatever.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Well that is still pretty awesome it does what you want it to do! I still don't think I will ever feel like I don't need my notebook (it's my music hub, which I feel like I need complete control over at all times), but knowing it's good for note taking, you've seriously piqued my interest in getting one. What major are you? Math and engineering notes aren't worth the hassle on a notebook, but if note taking software exists where you could use something like a stylus that is accurate and neat, I'd be really interested.

I am majoring in Business Marketing and the incredible ease and rapidity with which I can create ad concepts, flow charts, diagrams and flyers is really amazing. I have a good deal of music as well, and you'll probably be glad to know you have full editing capabilities for all of your playlists. I did purchase a Pogo Sketch stylus for $10, but haven't used it much as it is basically only superior to my finger for painting. I haven't used it much and would say that my finger is good enough for basically anything I want to do on my iPad. The multitouch sensors are very accurate and extremely precise. I am keeping my Dell for a base station to sync and backup, but everything else is handled by my iPad.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I have found that the iPad has increased the usefulness of my MacBook despite the fact that I spend less time actually using it. Let me explain: One of my favorite things about the Mac has always been that the quality and simplicity of OSX and Mac applications allow me to do a better job of creating and organizing my data and content.

The result has been that I ended up with a great library of music with perfect cover art and metadata, a great library of movies, and a highly organized photo library. Before the iPad, however, all of this content was locked in my notebook and not in a particularly ideal place to enjoy all of that content and data. Now that I have an iPad, I am getting even more return on the time I spent organizing the digital goodies on my Mac.

I know from my tireless efforts to help non-geeks that most people really struggle with managing their data, even on a Mac. These people will always make a mess of a file system that gives them unfettered access. Truthfully, I think the average Joe out there will be better off with a device that combines the appliance-like functionality of the iPad with the productivity potential of a current notebook. I don't see any reason why these are mutually-exclusive concepts.

With the iPad we have a unique form-factor coupled with a unique operating/application system. I fully expect that the direction Apple intends to go will result in notebook-like form-factors running iPad-like OS/App combinations. Kind of like a microwave: put cold food in, hit button, take hot food out.
  • Reply 29 of 147
    They are different tools for different jobs. For all intents and purposes the iPhone OS does the exact same thing as the desktop OS. It supports third party applications with a compliment of API's designed for its user interface capabilities. The iPads user interface and capabilities are different from a desktop.

A desktop PC is not ideal to put into your bag and carry around. As well the iPad is not ideal for heavy duty processing. Both are different tasks and have different tools to accomplish them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

I am growing old probably. I just do not understand how an iPad can replace a fully featured pc with a full OS? How an iPad can replace an iPod (they talk of iPod touch so probably those people are now looking in classic/nano direction)?

• Reply 30 of 147
    I don't totally buy these numbers. The only way I can see an iPad replacing a notebook. Is if you have a desktop that's your primary machine and use the iPad as your portable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

44% of ipad users don't understand the ipad simply better suits their needs than a notebook.

• Reply 31 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Oh so many lining up to be disappointed. Interesting understanding of notebook function though. Hell some even do not undesrand word "function" in this "complex world" ;-)

Interesting understanding of the word disappointed. Ipad is a hit.
  • Reply 32 of 147
    All you have to do is look at how many Touchs Apple sells each quarter and that will answer your fears.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Man I hope they don't kill off the touch and replace it with the iPad. I like the ability to chose my network and plan and still be able to use an iPod for everything else but calling.

• Reply 33 of 147
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by y2an View Post

Katy "the worst Apple analyst" Huberty just doesn't get it again. You have to have a computer to use an iPad.

You also need electricity and a wireless network. So what's your point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elearn View Post

Of course, there is a chance that the survey is right. If it is then maybe people have been buying powerful computers because that's all they could buy. Now for the first time they are able to buy just enough computer to do the simple every day things an iPad is perfect for. If this is so then once the word gets out about iPad, I'm talking about iPad owners telling neighbors, friends, and family what they are doing then it's the computer companies that have nothing like the iPad on their horizons that should worry.

I suspect it's at least somewhat valid. If your mobile needs are limited, then the iPad can suffice quite nicely. I replaced a PowerBook with an iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

My second biggest complaint about this device is that it's not a stand alone device. Why not? If apple sold it with a base station, perhaps the keyboard, that functioned as a docking station that you could plug in a Network cable to, that would really be all you need as a computer, for most (i.e. people who only need a computer for surfing the net, reading typing email, skype, occational long emails and school homework). THis might be less than 50% of all computer users, but it seems like a no brainer to me. I think they will sell even more of these devices if it was a stand-alone device.

I keep hearing this critique, but I still don't understand it. I've been using my iPad constantly since Day One and rarely see any need to physically connect it with my desktop Mac. That's about as "free standing" as it gets.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The iPod Touch has not replaced the other iPods, each has its own niche, in both functions and target market. I believe it is the reason why Apple didn't simply place all the features of the iPhone in the iPod Touch, apart from the phone feature.

CGC
  • Reply 35 of 147
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

1. Cost $400 or less.

2. Run the same operating system, office programs, etc that their desktops/work computers do (most of the time without needing to pay for an extra copy)

3. Let you type long reports, write long mails, etc on a physical keyboard without needing to carry around an extra plug-in keyboard

5. Connect to peripherals everywhere easily and without needing to take special cables from home

6. Access file types currently unavailable on the iPad (flash, FLAC, MKV, i'm sure there are more)

7. Show the screen at an acceptable viewing angle for working without holding it in your hands or propping it up against something.

Those were a few things that came to mind... I know there are tons of things the iPad does better, but comparing them like Cook is is really a situation of Apples and Oranges.

Again, iPad excels at accessing information, but Netbooks and Macbooks will have it beat for content creation for a long time to come...

Once again, its not a matter of the iPad being a notebook or desktop replacement for everyone. Clearly a large percentage of users feel that the iPad does all of the things they actually do on a netbook, but more conveniently.

People on tech forums such as this really have a hard time getting their heads around the fact that they are a niche use case in the large scheme of things.

Apple's brilliance has been in realizing that developers and sysadmins are defacto employees, not the primary customer base.

I know that hurts developers' feelings, but its a fact. They're there to help Apple serve customers, not the other way around.
  • Reply 36 of 147
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

My guess is that is coming, but first things first. I see it as inevitable that the iPad will eventually gain user accounts, common file stores, etc., and will someday also stand on its own without requiring a sync to iTunes. But the OS and the device is still in its infancy, and for now it's still a fantastic device without that. Will it be even better once it breaks its notebook bonds? Sure. But it's really not that big a deal to sync it a few times a month when OS updates come out, you want to back up the device, or you want to sync pics or music from your desktop.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think your situation is not unique. I have a family member who is enrolled at the University of Michigan. He has been talking about getting a new Mac Book Pro to replace his old iMac. He decided to buy an iPad instead. The iPad, he says takes care of his mobile needs. He eventually will buy a new iMac for use at home.

I am thinking of doing something similar. Selling my Mac Book Pro, buying an iMac along with an iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm a college student whose 3 year-old Dell is dying. I was planning on buying a MacBook Pro for my last 3 years, but instead bought a 64gb WiFi iPad. Reason: cost difference was $600-$1000, and I love my iPod Touch and knew the iPad with iWork would be better than a laptop for me. Weight, battery life, and books all weighed heavily in my decision as well. I can say without doubt that I made the right decision, especially after the last month of school. Note-taking apps have helped immensely, and the 12-14 hour battery is amazing! I certainly love it, and it did cannibalize the sale of a MacBook Pro. I still love MBPs though. ;-)

• Reply 38 of 147
    daving313daving313 Posts: 97member
    Has anyone actually tried creating/working with a large spreadsheet on the iPad? We were torn on how to replace an aging Powerbook and were looking at a Netbook or the iPad. We also have a Macbook Pro at home, but needed a second alternative and something light for travelling.

The iWork spreadsheet app takes FOREVER to input anything. Using the keyboard of a netbook is SO much faster. I also spent only $300. No extra keyboard to buy, other adapters to buy to get photos off my camera, not re-buying all the apps I've already purchased for my iPhone, it already has a front facing camera, it handles Outlook very well (which blows away Mail on the iPad). I've had zero performance problems. It's nice to not feel gouged by Apple for every single accessory I need to make it more like a "notebook experience". There are also so many GOOD freeware alternatives to apps, where as the desire to create a GOOD free App Store application has gone the wayside. The iPad seems like a continue outpouring of money. So far I've had one upfront cost with my Netbook.

Don't get me wrong, I see a place for the iPad. I just don't see it replacing a Netbook/Notebook. Seems to be great for portable gaming and portable web browsing. But for content creation, content sharing (Bittorrent app for iPad?) it just doesn't seem to be a long term winner. Can you comfortably sit with a keyboard and an iPad on your lap anywhere (is the extra acce$$ory dock work on the lap as well?)? Also, the battery life argument isn't much of one, I get 11 hours on my netbook.

We also can sync a bluetooth mouse that we already own to our netbook for FLASH websites. Don't get me wrong, Flash may be going the way of the wayside, but by the time it's gone, we'll be on iPad generation 3 or 4. So in the meantime, it's nice to be able to access those kinds of websites. Ever try going to a local restaurant's website on an iPhone on the go? It's the most annoying thing in the world as most are done in Flash.
  • Reply 39 of 147
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is exactly what I think many people will do. I plan on doing it. I much prefer to wok on a desktop when a t home, but I needed the portability of a portable so I went with a Mac Book Pro. I can do all the things I usually do when traveling with the iPad: namely emailing, web surfing, taking notes, etc. So why would I buy a more expensive laptop when I can get a fuller features iMac and iPad for about the same price?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't totally buy these numbers. The only way I can see an iPad replacing a notebook. Is if you have a desktop that's your primary machine and use the iPad as your portable.

• Reply 40 of 147
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 101member
    Quote:

1. Cost $400 or less.

Those were a few things that came to mind... I know there are tons of things the iPad does better, but comparing them like Cook is is really a situation of Apples and Oranges.

Spoken like a true non-iPad owner.