44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 147
    "That's the second thing: the heavy lifting tasks like printing or importing/manipulating documents that the iPad and the current versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote just can't handle."

And that's my point exactly. When and if the next version that can 1) send documents to a networked printer, and 2) not screw up the formatting, and 3) you don't need a third-party app to print, is available, I'll have my credit card ready
  • Reply 42 of 147
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Even if the iPad doesnt do some of the netbook features, people need to realize non-IT people pretty much only consume content with computers. Before the ipad those people would buy netbook or cheap Pc's. Now they can buy an ipad instead.

Geeks tend to think flash/physical keyboard/full OS are a must and dont realize most people only want to consume content. This is where netbooks are getting hit.
  • Reply 43 of 147
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is exactly what I think many people will do. I plan on doing it. I much prefer to wok on a desktop when a t home, but I needed the portability of a portable so I went with a Mac Book Pro. I can do all the things I usually do when traveling with the iPad: namely emailing, web surfing, taking notes, etc. So why would I buy a more expensive laptop when I can get a fuller features iMac and iPad for about the same price?

Personally I think that the iPad will cannibalize MB sales but perhaps not so much MBP sales. But I also think that in many instances one MB will be replaced by several iPads. The price point makes it much more likely every family member will get one instead of fighting over dad's or mom's.
  • Reply 44 of 147
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Hmm... things Netbooks do well that the iPad doesn't:

You assume any of your factors matter to those that buy an ipad.

perhaps they don't.

Also, I find all these surveys to be rather bogus. They are often smaller groups, selected from a non random pool. and they never ask the questions that really matter

such as

1. Do you own a computer now?

2. Is your current computer a desktop or a notebook/netbook

3. did you/would you buy an ipad to replace either computer

4. before the ipad was announced were you considering the purpose of a portable computer

5. what functions are you/were you looking for when deciding whether to buy an ipad

6. is your existing computer a Windows or Mac machine

7. if Windows, would the ipad affect whether your next computer is Windows or Mac.

and so on.

instead we get some magazine that surveys their readers, gets 500 replies to a single question "did you buy/are you going to buy an ipad" and posts the 60% yes as if it is some huge insight

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

but kids who don't even own/like Apple notebooks are really interested in the iPad around campus.

text book companies pledging a huge shift into etexts by fall will push this. schools giving away ipads.

heck if Apple adds the ipad to the items you can buy with a rebate for their back to school promo, a lot of students will grab that macbook pro plus a 16gb ipad with $199 knocked off the price
  • Reply 45 of 147
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

At this point its been proven that cost is not that important of a factor in a products success.

How has that been proven? Don't you think price is part of the reason the Macbook outsells the Macbook Air?

Quote:

Running a desktop OS on an 11" screen is not a plus. This is going to be one of primary reasons netbooks don't become a mainstream product.

The already are a mainstream product.

Quote:

Typing on those tiny keys is not easy for long reports.

A lot of netbooks have basically full-sized keys. Still a lot better than typing an essay up on a tablet.

Quote:

Skype works on the iPad.

The same way it works on a netbook? Full-featured with video chat, conferencing, etc. etc?

Quote:

Seeing as there are different cables for different peripherals, what special cables are you talking about?

If you show up somewhere and need to print, chances are there is a USB on hand, same with a projector, external hard drive, etc. Probably no proprietary iPad cables around, though.

Quote:

There is no need to support every obscure file type. The iPad only needs to support the most commonly used.

Tell that to someone with a library of FLAC music on their home PC (quite common) and wants to take it with them, or to someone whose website is flash-based or has a flash-based content management system (quite common), or someone who wants to watch a DVD, or has some dvds ripped to MKV or another non-itunes format that they want to watch (also very common). There are plenty more examples of "obscure file types" that plenty of people might want to access away from their home pcs. I'm sure eventually there will be plenty of workaround apps (as long as Apple doesn't decide to reject them from the app store), but do you

Quote:

This is an odd comparison. Its a tablet, its whole purpose is to be a screen with nothing else.

True, like I said, Apples to Oranges, but in the context of this article and my original post, it is indeed an important difference for a lot of people.

Quote:

The iPhone already has a wealth of content creation apps. From creating music, to shooting/editing video, to drawing sketches. The iPad will be a better platform for these apps than the iPhone.

The iPhone, yet, but do you really think it'll replace the netbook or macbook for video editing, music recording, typing essays etc for most people?

Oh, I almost forgot in my original post, with a Netbook you can listen to music while having a spreadsheet, word document, web browser, email client and Skype open at the same time!

Again, I know it's apples to oranges, but the quote in the article that Netbooks do nothing well, and iPads do everything well is very misguided.
  • Reply 46 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You assume any of your factors matter to those that buy an ipad.

perhaps they don't.

The article is about iPads cannibalizing netbook sales, and for people considering one or the other, all of the points I made are 100% valid. That's why I don't think iPads will cannibalize a significant quantity of netbooks.

Definitely iPod touches and/or iPhones, though.
  • Reply 47 of 147
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I keep hearing this critique, but I still don't understand it. I've been using my iPad constantly since Day One and rarely see any need to physically connect it with my desktop Mac. That's about as "free standing" as it gets.

What i'm referring to is the fact that without a computer, you cannot own/use the iPad. It must be sync'd to some form of computer to function, or at least some device that runs iTunes. My issue is that many people, perhaps not the majority of computer users, don't need both a computer and an iPad, but just the iPad would suffice. Why not allow the iPad to be a device that doesn't need to be docked or sync'd to anything but a simple base station, or even the Time Capsule? That way you don't need a computer that sits unused. I've been wanting to buy my mom an iPad, but she doesn't own a computer. So she's out of luck, even thought the iPad is really all she needs.
  • Reply 48 of 147
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    It continues to amaze me and make me scratch my head all the time on some people's way of thinking. These people act like tha world revolves around their thinking and that it's all that matters and what's true. Apple sucks, the iPad is just a big iPhone, Apple products are overpriced, the Android is better, Windows suck, Adobe this and that, etc. I'm going to let you add to the list people bitch about.

Look, it's as simple as this. BUY WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU AND IS SUITABLE TO YOUR NEEDS.. and stop bitching about what people buy and like. What you think of the iPhone or Android, iPad or netbook or any other gadget is irrelevant to what others feel about it. Just because you don't find any use for the iPad for example or that the Android is better doesn't mean others feel the same way. Why should you care people bought this instead of that? It's not your money. If you don't like the way Apple does business then buy from another brand.

What Tim Cook thinks about the netbook is not a generalized statement from how I understood it to be. The iPad works for him and does a lot of better things for him that a netbook can't. Of course some people's opinion differs from his. Well he's Apple but the point is people who bought the iPad and didn't return it back to the store are happy with it. It works for them...

Anyways, regardless of how you feel about the iPad and if you think is a piece of crap, obviously at least over a million people (and growing) doesn't think the same way as you do and don't care what you think of the device.
  • Reply 49 of 147
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by y2an View Post

Katy "the worst Apple analyst" Huberty just doesn't get it again. You have to have a computer to use an iPad.

not completely true.

Saying you need a computer to use an ipad suggests that it is a tethered device. It is not. You use the computer to kick start it, load larger sized media like movies on it and back it up/update software. Otherwise, you don't need that computer.

And if you really want, the Apple stores will do the 'kickstart' for you. If you don't buy large media you are good there and if you really want to risk losing your stuff, that's on you. You don't have to back it up. As for updating your software, you could probably go to a Genius Bar and they would do it for you.

so you could use one without a computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

I am growing old probably. I just do not understand how an iPan can replace a fully featured pc with a full OS?

It won't. but that's not what it is for. Even Apple will tell you this

If you need full power you get a computer, if you need something for reading digital books, watching a movie during travel/morning commute, doing some quick emails, the ipad is an alternative to a notebook that is overkill for what you will do with it.

I have an imac in the studio for doing Final Cut, Logic, Maya etc. I don't need that stuff on set. What I need is my script pages, my storyboards, my wireframe vids of the shots etc. All of which I can carry on an ipad and juggle around very easily. Which is why I got the ipad and why I haven't returned it beyond switching to a 3g for when i'm out on the desert and need email without wifi access.
  • Reply 50 of 147
    lbrtradrlbrtradr Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm a college student whose 3 year-old Dell is dying. I was planning on buying a MacBook Pro for my last 3 years, but instead bought a 64gb WiFi iPad. Reason: cost difference was $600-$1000, and I love my iPod Touch and knew the iPad with iWork would be better than a laptop for me. Weight, battery life, and books all weighed heavily in my decision as well. I can say without doubt that I made the right decision, especially after the last month of school. Note-taking apps have helped immensely, and the 12-14 hour battery is amazing! I certainly love it, and it did cannibalize the sale of a MacBook Pro. I still love MBPs though. ;-)

I have a 21.5" iMac, a 13" Unibody MacBook, and a 32gb 3g iPad and love all three. My question is what do you plan on doing when your Dell finally takes it's last breath? You make it sound like that's right around the corner. How will you get the iPad updates, your personal music & DVD's moved over to the iPad, etc?
  • Reply 51 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Spoken like a true non-iPad owner.

Exactly. I ordered a 13" MB 2 weeks ago because I do type quite a lot while out of the house. Long emails, writing a lot of copy, etc is one thing. With a MB I can work with exactly the same interface as I do at home. I also need to be able to do basic work with Logic and Photoshop. I have a friend who got an iPad on day one, and I have never envied him while he sits in a cafe with his neck craned down typing out an email on his legs. I don't even want to imagine holding the iPad in a comfortable viewing position for a full movie...
  • Reply 52 of 147
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Everyone has different needs.

I could totally see someone using an iPad as their only computer if they had a parent, spouse, IT person or whatever that they used to sync off of and be their support "base". There are a lot of people who just want to browse, email, and generally consume only. For them the iPad may be perfect.

I know a lot of people who need a full computer, but not when they're away from home/office. For them, having the iPad as a second computer makes sense in addition to the desktop or even notebook that they keep at home/office.

Then there are people like me. I need a server (multi-core Linux), workstation (Mac Pro), casual desktop (iMac), large notebook (17" MacBook Pro), small notebook (13" MacBook Pro), and mobile (iPhone). I also happen to have multiple iPods: disposable to use in wet/rough environment (Shuffle), one to keep around when I don't want to plug in the iPhone (Nano), and one large library (iPod Classic).

I really didn't see a "need" for an iPad. I wasn't very attracted to the concept, especially when I saw it was iPhone OS only. When I actually got on in my hands, I realized that I *really* wanted one.

I ended up getting a 3G on my birthday from my girlfriend... she loves me... she really loves me!

It's fitting into my life in ways I didn't count on at all.

The ABC Player is totally awesome. If other networks jump on this, I could see using this a lot for watching TV. It really excels when you see apps that were originally for the iPhone, but have been enhanced for the iPad. Those apps usually show off what can be done with the extra real estate. The developers have spent time thinking about how to best utilize the space...it's not just bigger.

I had been thinking about getting a netbook and hacking OS X on to it, but netbooks really don't do the things you'd want them to do well at all...at which point I really need my 13" MacBook Pro or would be better served with my iPad...or even iPhone.

It's really funny to use the iPad for a while and then go back to using the iPhone. The iPhone feels really small and constrictive for a while when you do this.

Back to the "need"... When I sit down with a client and hand them the iPad, it's a totally different experience. They're getting something tangible that they can consume. It feels like as if it's in its final form as opposed to showing them something on a notebook that now in comparison feels like you're revealing how sausage is made.

The iPad is going to kill the netbook market, if it hasn't already.

It will be an additional device for a lot of people without cannibalization. However, for some percentage, it will be an option that is chosen over an iPod or notebook. Overall though for Apple, it adds to their ecosystem. The deeper you already are in their ecosystem, the more you'll be able to get out of the iPad.
  • Reply 53 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It continues to amaze me and make me scratch my head all the time on some people's way of thinking. These people act like tha world revolves around their thinking and that it's all that matters and what's true. Apple sucks, the iPad is just a big iPhone, Apple products are overpriced, the Android is better, Windows suck, Adobe this and that, etc. I'm going to let you add to the list people bitch about.

Look, it's as simple as this. BUY WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU AND IS SUITABLE TO YOUR NEEDS.. and stop bitching about what people buy and like. What you think of the iPhone or Android, iPad or netbook or any other gadget is irrelevant to what others feel about it. Just because you don't find any use for the iPad for example or that the Android is better doesn't mean others feel the same way. Why should you care people bought this instead of that? It's not your money. If you don't like the way Apple does business then buy from another brand.

What Tim Cook thinks about the netbook is not a generalized statement from how I understood it to be. The iPad works for him and does a lot of better things for him that a netbook can't. Of course some people's opinion differs from his. Well he's Apple but the point is people who bought the iPad and didn't return it back to the store are happy with it. It works for them...

Anyways, regardless of how you feel about the iPad and if you think is a piece of crap, obviously at least over a million people (and growing) doesn't think the same way as you do and don't care what you think of the device.

A forum is a place where people share thier thoughts and discuss ideas with others, sometimes people get protective of thier ideas and it gets out of hand. With that said, why do you read forums if you think everyone should just shut the heck up and deal...So with you line of thinking, i'm curious as to why you read forums? You obviously don't want to hear what people have to say, and don't think anyone's points are valid. So why are you commenting? One could argue that your comment isn't relavent either.
  • Reply 54 of 147
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'll be buying a 16GB iPad in a few weeks, but I still don't see how it could be a replacement for my MacBook Pro.

I'm going to be using it mainly as a consumption device and not a content creation device for many reasons (some of which have already been stated).

1) I've used an iPad on numerous occasions, but there is no way in hell that I can type as fast on the on-screen keyboard as I can on my 13" MBP.

2) My job involves dealing with large spreadsheets, writing long documents, and editing documents -- again, the on-screen keyboard is not a good substitute and takes up a good chunk of the screen in the process which is not ideal.

3) Buying an external keyboard alleviates the problems above somewhat, but it then defeats the purpose of the device IMHO and having to switch between touching the screen and using the keyboard to navigate = PISS POOR.

4) Can I print (properly formatted) to my Color LaserJet printer over the wireless network? Can I scan in documents from my wireless all-in-one printer to an iPad? Can I print my UPS, Fedex, and USPS shipping labels from the iPad? Nope (not as far as I can tell).

5) Can I access my photos on my D-SLR or P&S camera without an adapter?

6) Can I access my thumb drives or external HDD for content?

7) What would I use to program my Logitech Harmony One all-in-one remote? Magic?

8) Simple things like downloading files from the internet, downloading torrents of live shows (me likey The Dave Matthews Band), archiving documents, pictures, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the iPad -- I just don't see it as a notebook replacement (at least for the power user). I will use it to lounge on the chair, as a lightweight tablet for air travel, an eBook reader, and light email/document creation.

Now for someone who does nothing but Facebook, email, internet browsing, movie watching, light gaming, etc., I can totally see the iPad as being a notebook replacement.

However, I'd like to see a college student try to get by with just an iPad and no notebook/desktop and see how that goes (and no cheating by going to the computer lab)
  • Reply 55 of 147
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Exactly. I ordered a 13" MB 2 weeks ago because I do type quite a lot while out of the house. Long emails, writing a lot of copy, etc is one thing. With a MB I can work with exactly the same interface as I do at home. I also need to be able to do basic work with Logic and Photoshop. I have a friend who got an iPad on day one, and I have never envied him while he sits in a cafe with his neck craned down typing out an email on his legs. I don't even want to imagine holding the iPad in a comfortable viewing position for a full movie...

so your needs are clearly not met by an iPad. why bother going on repeated rants about why it shouldn't work for everybody else?
  • Reply 56 of 147
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think your situation is not unique. I have a family member who is enrolled at the University of Michigan. He has been talking about getting a new Mac Book Pro to replace his old iMac. He decided to buy an iPad instead. The iPad, he says takes care of his mobile needs. He eventually will buy a new iMac for use at home.

I am thinking of doing something similar. Selling my Mac Book Pro, buying an iMac along with an iPad.

That was my thinking. While finances are tight, I can do fine with just the iPad. When I have a bit more cash, I'll be buying an iMac for less than the difference between the cost of the MBP and iPad. I'll get more power for my buck and two devices each suited best for their purposes. The perfect solution.
  • Reply 57 of 147
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

What i'm referring to is the fact that without a computer, you cannot own/use the iPad. It must be sync'd to some form of computer to function, or at least some device that runs iTunes. My issue is that many people, perhaps not the majority of computer users, don't need both a computer and an iPad, but just the iPad would suffice. Why not allow the iPad to be a device that doesn't need to be docked or sync'd to anything but a simple base station, or even the Time Capsule? That way you don't need a computer that sits unused. I've been wanting to buy my mom an iPad, but she doesn't own a computer. So she's out of luck, even thought the iPad is really all she needs.

How can you sync the iPad to nothing? This is what I don't get about this argument. If you want to back up your desktop or laptop computer, or sync them, they have to be connected in some way to the backup device or the device to which it is going to be synced -- but I never hear that being described as a "dependency." Granted it would be better if the iPad could do this wirelessly, but really this is the only difference. The other is operating system updates, and initial setup, which currently do need a computer. The fact is, you could set up your Mom's iPad on your computer and give it to her. After that, what sort of syncing will she really need?
  • Reply 58 of 147
    enrigonzenrigonz Posts: 12member
    Those that can replace a notebook for an iPad aren't using the notebook for any type of content creation, maybe for emails, facebook, web browsing in general.

To me the iPad is an extremely expensive device for what it does and for what it is. Not saying is a bad device just lacking in so many departments I couldn't see myself justifying the purchase of one. Apple makes great computers, I have a couple but I really don't see the iPad as a computer replacement at all. Used as a complimentary device and things look better but still way to expensive. For the price of an iPad I was able to put together a Quad CPU Windows 7 desktop with 4 gigs of RAM (plan to upgrade to 8 soon) and a 23" LCD screen which I use for photo and video processing because my iMac got old and replacing it with another Apple desktop would have been 2 times the price.

Again.... great device the iPad but way overpriced just like everything else Apple makes.
  • Reply 59 of 147
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

A forum is a place where people share thier thoughts and discuss ideas with others, sometimes people get protective of thier ideas and it gets out of hand. With that said, why do you read forums if you think everyone should just shut the heck up and deal...So with you line of thinking, i'm curious as to why you read forums? You obviously don't want to hear what people have to say, and don't think anyone's points are valid. So why are you commenting? One could argue that your comment isn't relavent either.

Oh no, it's not the sharing of ideas and opinions that grinds my gear (I like reading them and respect those opinionated people who actually knows what their talking about and I've learned a thing or two from those comments), it's all the immature, childish, baseless comments that I'm trying to point out. You know, the Apple sucks, Adobe sucks, insults, comments full of bias that it makes no attempt at defending their comment. I guess they're called fanboys (I don't know, I don't see the need for one to be).

I should've made that clear. This isn't a personal attack to people who actually make real opinionated comments.
  • Reply 60 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

How can you sync the iPad to nothing? This is what I don't get about this argument. If you want to back up your desktop or laptop computer, or sync them, they have to be connected in some way to the backup device or the device to which it is going to be synced -- but I never hear that being described as a "dependency." Granted it would be better if the iPad could do this wirelessly, but really this is the only difference. The other is operating system updates, and initial setup, which currently do need a computer. The fact is, you could set up your Mom's iPad on your computer and give it to her. After that, what sort of syncing will she really need?

Not when she lives in another state. I'm talking about people (like her) that don't want to buy both a computer and an iPad to own an iPad (which my arguement state most average users only need). The iPad is dependent on a computer to operate. My thought was to create a device that sells with the iPad, like a docking station, perhaps the size of the Time Capsule (or something built into the accessory keyboard). This dock would then be connected directly to a router via CAT5 or WiFi. That way, when you dock your ipad, you can manipulate files and access content, like a computer currently does, but when you unplug it from the dock, it works as is currently does.