iPad 3G is SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile network in Japan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sashimi View Post

1. a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.

2. you cannot buy a unit only

3. you cannot buy a simcard

4. prepaid units are also carrier locked

1. true.

2. false. Nokia had been selling their devices in their B&M stores unlocked prior to pulling out. Their Vertu brand also currently sells units unlocked with no service.

3. false. It is common practice for foreigners to bring phones from overseas and use a local service.

4. true.

I understand the rationale behind protecting consumers and service providers from network abuse/fraud/etc. At the same time I also find that the Japanese government often needlessly regulates certain business practices in order to conveniently keep foreign competition out.

I agree with government regulation in booming industries (think Toyota), but I often wish METI and the likes would simply have some strategic foresight and give up on dying industries like that of the Japanese cell phone industry.

I also strongly hope that every mobile computer manufacturer here in Japan gets their collective asses kicked by the iPad. I sincerely hope that they learn a little something called innovation and putting Drucker into practice.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    So, I just wonder...

Do you think I could take my U.S. iPad to Japan and sign on to Softbank for one month at $40?
  • Reply 43 of 87
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is it too much for you to understand that Apple is not the one requiring locked phones in Japan?

At the time of the keynote, Apple believed that it would be true that the devices would be unlocked. Since then, something happened and they are not able to offer unlocked devices in Japan. Perhaps NO ONE in Japan would support unlocked devices. How is that Apple's fault?

So what should Apple do? Refuse to sell it in Japan? How is that better for consumers than allowing it to be sold locked?

Geez. Some people will attack Apple for the stupidest reasons.

I am criticizing Apple's business strategy of having exclusive deals with telecom carriers.

Now you seem to imply that this Japan situation is not a business decision on Apple's part, but a consequence of doing business in Japan. That it only coincidentally resembles Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T on the iPad and iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I am criticizing Apple's business strategy of having exclusive deals with telecom carriers.

Now you seem to imply that this Japan situation is not a business decision on Apple's part, but a consequence of doing business in Japan. That it only coincidentally resembles Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T on the iPad and iPhone.

Apple's business strategy has been extremely effective over the past 10 years. What evidence can you provide that you know more about business strategy than Apple?

Not to mention that it's apparently a requirement of doing business in Japan (see below). So Apple's choice was:

a. Sell iPads via the mechanism allowed by law in Japan, even though it requires that they be locked

or

B. Don't sell iPads in Japan at all.

Please explain how 'B' is better for consumers.

Quote:

if you have lived in japan. you should know some policies regarding cellular services here:

- a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.

- you cannot buy a unit only

- you cannot buy a simcard

- prepaid units are also carrier locked

so this is not apple, softbank or japan's fault. this is how the system runs here. due to some cellular abused before, a law have been enacted to protect consumers. i hope i clear something here.

Thank you for the clarification. So it's clearly not something Apple can control.

Given that it's the law there, then Jobs should not have said that they''d be selling iPads unlocked in all countries, though.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Are Apple being deliberately and nefariously restrictive, or not?
  • Reply 46 of 87
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Are Apple being deliberately and nefariously restrictive, or not?

We decided they are not.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple in Japan... pathetic. If I didn't absolutely love their devices, they would have lost me as a customer years ago for the way they operate here.

yes but is it Apple that made the choice or was it forced on them in order to get the needed clearance to import the ipad into the country. Like China did (or at least tried) with Wifi on the phones.

Quote:

Actually it's both: Apple signed a contract with SoftBank that lets them market the iPad in a certain way. Sure, it is SoftBank making the plans, but I would have thought (hoped) Apple could have pulled a little more.

so is it Softbank or Apple that you work for. since you are privy to the contracts that have been signed. Or is it standard in Japan for all contracts to be published in the local paper so everyone is an authority.

If this kind of openness is par for the course it is a wonder that Apple has any thing to do with Japan what with Job's "cult of secrecy"
  • Reply 48 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple in Japan... pathetic. If I didn't absolutely love their devices, they would have lost me as a customer years ago for the way they operate here.

I certainly see your frustration, but I think blaming Apple is silly. They have 7 stores in the entire country so it seems that if they want a physical presence they have to partner up. If they want to sell the 3G version they need carrier. I can't see Apple saying "we want to lock it in Japan and we don't care what SoftBank wants, this is how it's going to be".

Surely this was SoftBank's doing. Maybe Apple fought hard against it or maybe they didn't, it's irrelevant because the bottom line is Apple creating products you love specifically to make a profit so why begrudge a company that has a limitation in your country for that same reason to make a profit. Their whole purpose is to make a profit. Satisfying your needs is simply a means to that end. In this locking issue it's to satisfy SoftBank, also their customer.

Quote:

Presumably, at the time that he made the announcement, Jobs believed it to be true. Something happened in the next 3 months to change that. $hit happens.

And it is and was true. Apple wasn't speaking for the entire world's telcos on that stage in January. He was speaking about AT&T, the one carrier they had inked deals with.

The real kicker, I think the great (for US) pricing and no 1700MHz band for T-Mobile despite beiig unlocked is a strong indicator that the iPhone HD will only be usable on AT&T in the US. I'm fine with that, but I do hope it's also unlocked like the iPad as the only option in the US would be T-Mobile on EDGE, so AT&T would be safe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vodkaholik View Post

iPad in Japan:

All Models:

- Free WiFi access to Softbank Mobile's Hotspots(mostly McDonalds) for the first 24 months.

WiFi Models:

- Can be bought from the Apple Online store

- Above-mentioned free WiFi Access

WiFi + 3G Models:

- Can't be reserved online, only at stores

- Sim-Locked to Softbank Mobile

- Data Plan Prices:

-> Roughly $30 on a 2 year contract (Unlimited data plan);

-> Roughly $40 a la carte (30 days or 1GB of data, whichever comes first)

=========================---

Reserved the WiFi only model, then I'm planning on applying for the WiMax Mobile Internet Service at roughly $40 per month a la carte. Same price as the 3G but faster. Service areas are pretty limited but if you live in major/ key cities then there's no problem. The [free access to wifi hotspots serivce] for all models is pretty sweet though.

You get free WiFi through Japan, even on the WiFi model and without a contract for the life of the device?
  • Reply 49 of 87
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?
  • Reply 50 of 87
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Thanks for the insult.

I stand by my opinion that Apple Japan could be greatly improved and that that would help Apple do better business in this country. Whether it would have helped with SIMS specifically, I'm not entirely sure, but as a general opinion, yeah, I'll stand by it.

Why?

Quote:

As defined: Ignorance is where someone or something is uninformed. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same. The word "Ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware.

Any suggestion that Apple is sitting idly by and hasn't been attempting to address the business strategies as it applies to Japan in ludicrous. Japan has one of the most restrictive trade practices in the world. It is something that foreign interests have been confronting for centuries. And in the scheme of things not very well, and for a thousand and one reasons, a thousand and one tips on how to succeed and a thousand and one individuals to tell you how.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The iPad is unlocked in the US so your argument is already flawed (there is no exclusive deal for the iPad). There just are no other service providers that offer the same 3G technology. It will work on t mobile over EDGE, their 3G frequencies are not supported on the iPad.

In Canada you can use the iPad on 3 (or 4 depending on how you count) national carriers, and it appears that it will be unlocked in every country except Japan. Why do you insist on the illogical conclusion that Apple somehow wanted to lock it in Japan and only Japan?
  • Reply 52 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And it is and was true. Apple wasn't speaking for the entire world's telcos on that stage in January. He was speaking about AT&T, the one carrier they had inked deals with.

That was my original thought, too, but I checked the transcript and he did say that it would be unlocked around the world.

Either it was a mistake or something changed.

I personally don't think it's fair to crucify him even if it was a mistake. After all, there are hundreds of countries and Apple is trying to make generalizations so that people can understand the advice. If one country out of 200 requires locked phones, i's a little harsh to attack him for that one exception.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    theshepherdtheshepherd Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Why is it that people have to come out on attack as soon as there's ANY news about Apple?

Presumably, at the time that he made the announcement, Jobs believed it to be true. Something happened in the next 3 months to change that. $hit happens.

How come some people defend him no matter what he does?
  • Reply 54 of 87
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Why is it that AppleInsider's home page is being overwhelmed by flash based advertising that takes up over half of the width of the home page?

Are you sure it is Flash? Check the source code. You will probably not find Flash.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:

That was my original thought, too, but I checked the transcript and he did say that it would be unlocked around the world.

Either it was a mistake or something changed.

I personally don't think it's fair to crucify him even if it was a mistake. After all, there are hundreds of countries and Apple is trying to make generalizations so that people can understand the advice. If one country out of 200 requires locked phones, i's a little harsh to attack him for that one exception.

You're right. At 1h:14m:45s into the video he said that "All of iPad 3G models are unlocked" and he said this right after mentioning the International deals. He clearly implied that they'd all be unlocked, however, just prior to that he also stated that they "hope to have international deals in place in the June-July timeframe" then followed by, "and we're going to start on that tomorrow."

More wishful thinking than a statement of fact as it would be impossible to know what other carriers would require worldwide when you haven't even started shopping for carriers outside the US. Would have been best if he said that they we're trying to get all iPad 3Gs to be unlocked everywhere, but overall it's not a big deal.

PS: Bergermeister, if you want an unlocked iPad 3G just send me the money+tax+shipping and I'll send you one. No charge for my time.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    It does appear that softbank is subsidizing the ipad somewhat --- in terms of eating the 2 year interest payment.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/25169/
  • Reply 57 of 87
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    I am an Apple customer since my first computer ever -PowerBook 165c when it was launched- and I have since bought a Mac a year in average, I have bought countless iPods as gifts and for personal use since they hit the stores and I have always recommended Macs to lots of people, I say this because I want to make sure that you understand that I am not an Apple hater.

I was disappointed that the iPhone was locked to SoftBank but well... WTH... I can live with that, but the iPad also being locked to SoftBank is like if a MacBook would require you to sing a contract with ATT to be bought.

We want competition, we want better quality service and better pricing for internet access!

Quote:

if you have lived in japan. you should know some policies regarding cellular services here:

- a carrier is prohibited to sell unlock units.

- you cannot buy a unit only

- you cannot buy a simcard

- prepaid units are also carrier locked

Even if all of this was true -which is not- why is not available in other carriers -au, docomo, willcom"-?

SoftBank will not sell MicroSIMs alone to enable imported iPads, an all 3G iPads sold in Japan will have their SIMs.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Ah, you bring up a sad truth (and a dirty little secret)! Shhhhhh......
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnt View Post

SoftBank will not sell MicroSIMs alone to enable imported iPads, an all 3G iPads sold in Japan will have their SIMs.

Why is that a problem?
  • Reply 60 of 87
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Why?

Any suggestion that Apple is sitting idly by and hasn't been attempting to address the business strategies as it applies to Japan in ludicrous. Japan has one of the most restrictive trade practices in the world. It is something that foreign interests have been confronting for centuries. And in the scheme of things not very well, and for a thousand and one reasons, a thousand and one tips on how to succeed and a thousand and one individuals to tell you how.

Thanks again for your input, but I stand by my opinion that Apple could have done a lot more with their own systems (apple Japan, for example) that would have created a better environment over here for them. You can call me ignorant, my ideas ludicrous. I just know that if you call the Call Center about iPhone OS and they ask if that is an Apple product, they have a serious problem. If the Call Center can only manage to read the online help that Macs come pre-installed with and not provide any further assistance, they have a problem. When the call center refuse to accept a machine to be checked because nobody else has had the same problem, they have a problem. If you try to give feedback online, there is a checklist that lists up to an iTunes version 1 or 2 full version points ahead of what is current; there is a problem. When AJ was told of such a problem with their homepage and still haven't fixed it two years later, they have a problem. When they then repeat the same problem again on other feedback pages, they have a problem. When a customer places and order at an electronics shop and receives info from the shop that Apple got the order and will ship on a certain day and then suddenly Apple cancels the order and cuts ties with the shop, they have a serious problem. When retailers cringe at the thought of calling the repair center, they have a problem. When the B&M stores here that are run by A-USA say there is a problem with the call center, they have a serious problem. When the manager of the call center says she will have customer relations call a customer immediately and that call still hasn't come after two years, they have a serious problem. When a sales rep was told of the unreceived call and said he would have them call and the the call still hasn't come, they have a serious problem. When they decline some service option for a machine that is built to order as is recommended on their own online store site, they have a problem. When they suddenly tell a shop that they are installing a special counter and to make space for it, only to yank it a little over a year later at less than a week's notice, they have a problem. When they suddenly withdraw from almost all retailers very suddenly without providing reasons and without helping with floor stock, leaving them unable to explain to their customers what happened, they have a serious problem. When they inspect a computer at their repair center and certify it as OK only to have the customer decline to accept it because the screen is badly tilted, they have a problem. When they have never fixed the original iPod nano that has its titled screen, they have a problem. When four out of seven machines a single customer ordered in the past few years have needed replacement, they have a quality control problem. When a customer writes a request for help listing five questions regarding a possible security situation with iTunes and the iPhone systems here in Japan after having seen stories about bogus billing on the news and receives a rambling answer to one, they have a problem. Need I go on? I could give more example, but that should be enough.

Most of these are relatively simple things to fix internally. Yes, I base my opinion on experience. No, I don't work for them never have never will. No, I don't own stock and never will. I simply am a dissatisfied and frustrated customer who simply wants service on par with what I receive from every other maker I use here in Japan, and I think they have had plenty of time to fix a few of the internal problems they have.