iPad 3G is SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile network in Japan

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    No plans to move on. If only Apple would get it's act together here I'd be perfectly content. I want to support my local reseller as they have been good to me over the years and they need the business. My questions also keep them on their toes; most users around here are trying to figure out how to use iLife...

As with any of their first releases, the second always has some big improvements. I'll let you know how mine works out, then you can decide better. If I recall, you teach English. I used to be a EFL teacher so I'll give it a "for the classroom" test for you. What size groups and what ability level do you work with? I've taught pretty much all sizes and ability levels.

Thirteen days to go.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

No plans to move on. If only Apple would get it's act together here I'd be perfectly content. I want to support my local reseller as they have been good to me over the years and they need the business. My questions also keep them on their toes; most users around here are trying to figure out how to use iLife...

As with any of their first releases, the second always has some big improvements. I'll let you know how mine works out, then you can decide better. If I recall, you teach English. I used to be a EFL teacher so I'll give it a "for the classroom" test for you. What size groups and what ability level do you work with? I've taught pretty much all sizes and ability levels.

Thirteen days to go.

I teach nursery and kindergarten kids mostly (my main gig) but I also have small groups and private students of all ages from primary to secondary and adults as well.

I'll tell you what... I may be guilty of taking advantage of reverse discrimination in this industry, but this is a hell of a lot better job than being an underpaid, overworked Marketing Manager. The only problem is my resumé value if and when I ever return to the States. Might have to go back into retail if I do that.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    It can be a blast if you're working with the right school/people.

Twelve days to go.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'll tell you what... I may be guilty of taking advantage of reverse discrimination in this industry, but this is a hell of a lot better job than being an underpaid, overworked Marketing Manager. The only problem is my resumé value if and when I ever return to the States. Might have to go back into retail if I do that.

Whatever works, bro, it's cool. Here in Malaysia I won't be able to be promoted as quickly in government jobs and I won't make it far at all in predominantly-Chinese-language businesses. But I'm reversely discriminated when I apply for English-oriented advertising and design jobs, or being a trainer in retail/corporate environments. I've revealed my ethnic background before but I won't repeat it here. Situation in Malaysia is a little complicated.

Bottom line, you gotta do what you gotta do. Let the rest figure out how to treat you, that's their karma.

Did I feel a little guilty when I was in the SF Bay Area and perhaps people felt I was a little better at programming, due to my ethnic appearance and language skills? Maybe, but like I said, just go with the flow.

I agree if I go back to Australia or the US I might have a tough time though securing a decent position because of working in a 3rd-world country the past 5 years. But, well, my US work visa expired, my Australian residency visa is going to expire next year, so, well, back here with my aging parents (no other siblings here to "take care" of them), so... cest la vie.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Softbank, like all companies in Japan, uses lock-down systems. It's sad but that's the mentality in a Japanese company. Buy hardware in Hong Kong and use the sim card from softbank in Japan. That's the only way to get around these Japanese companies monopoly designs!
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I teach nursery and kindergarten kids mostly (my main gig) but I also have small groups and private students of all ages from primary to secondary and adults as well.

I said I would try the iPad out to see if it was classroom-ready. It is.

For small groups (I'd say a table of 5~6 adults, more kids) it would be fine as is for presenting. If you grab the VGA connector and a cable, then many TVs will connect to it for use with larger groups. My Hitachi at home doesn't have VGA, but most other makers do.

The iWork apps are very functional. There are a few pluses and minuses that, if you know they are there, you can work around them. If you add a drawing app like Sketchbook Pro, then you could literally get away with just having the iPad in you rucksack, except for printing.

The camera connection kit works very well, too, but photo editing will need another app; I'm looking for a good one.

The iPad is very easy to type on; I find it easier than my Mac's keyboard, but that might just be me. Drawing in SketchBook Pro is easy.

All in all, I think it's a great tool for teachers to have and could be put to many uses.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    bush2bush2 Posts: 4member
    I'd say that I made a responsible and well thought out decision. Well done. I will sent you mail about this.

community forums

Free Movies Online