Adobe fires back at Apple with open letter, new ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 361 of 447
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wonder if Adobe realizes how hypocritical they're being.

That statement is exactly what Apple is pushing for. Open standards that no one company can control.

Except that apple wants to be in control of all iPad and iPhone content. Must be developed on an Apple product, using a single-platform development kit. Not exactly open, either. h.264 isn't free to use either, and HTML5 is still a long ways away from being an agreed upon standard.
  • Reply 362 of 447
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    fair enough.

now - to the beach! summer has come to the rainforest!!
  • Reply 363 of 447
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oh... you can be dismissive: "obviously, you don't run a web shop."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i see what you did there... you're trying to turn the argument around. since i 'obviously don't run a web shop', shall we ask the group here? up to you to post the link...

I love his use of "web shop" to say how he's an expert that we should all follow blindly yet can't post a single source to back up anything he's said.

The use of the term "web shop" with nothing factual or detailed to back it up reminds me of this That Mitchell & Webb Look skit: Let's not get bogged down in so called research and internet jargon
  • Reply 364 of 447
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Except that apple wants to be in control of all iPad and iPhone content. Must be developed on an Apple product, using a single-platform development kit.

Apple is like a 5-star chef owned restaurant, and Steve is the chef. Just because you pay for your meal doesn't mean you get to go into the kitchen and change the recipe and cook it the way you like. His name is on it and you get it his way. You want it your way? Go to Burger King.
  • Reply 365 of 447
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i do invite you to go back to post you dismissed, and tell me where that applies...

ok, sure. Unlike the other guy who continually mouths off with nothing, I'll answer.

you said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tofino

i personally don't think that's the way to go. the days of frivolous eye-candy are over. i know there are some things you can do in flash that aren't yet possible (at least easily) to do in other ways. if you really look at usability though, i think there's always an easier, more efficient way to deliver information. how many times have you found the info you were really looking for on the google result page, without ever visiting the originating site?

restaurants are a good example. they often do their entire sites in flash, with mind numbing animated floating text and useless pan & scans. when you're just looking for their hours, address, and maybe want to have a look at their menus, why bother delivering goo to potential customers and block mobile users in the process? looks to me like somebody oversold them... we need to educate our clients and convince them that usability always trumps visual complexity. if they buy an iphone, they'll figure that out themselves rather quickly.

just my $0.02.

obviously, you don't run a web shop.

I said that because if you did, you'd know many clients come to you with preconceived notions of what they want. Especially places like clients, and god night clubs, are notorious. I have one that insists on flash cause he wants moving crap all over the place. It makes it a nightmare to update because, they don't have the budget for higher end cms-d flash. There's a prime example where css with wordpress used as a cms would be prime.

Doing this brings all kinds of people. That's why those cartoons of graphic designer vs client are dam popular. It isn't like all clients will listen to you.

So no that wasn't intended at all to be dismissive.
  • Reply 366 of 447
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Except that apple wants to be in control of all iPad and iPhone content.

Gee. That must be why Safari won't go to web sites unless Apple approves them. Or maybe it's why I can't get email that isn't approved by Apple.

Oh, wait. Those things aren't true. So much for your theory.
  • Reply 367 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love his use of "web shop" to say how he's an expert that we should all follow blindly yet can't post a single source to back up anything he's said.

The use of the term "web shop" with nothing factual or detailed to back it up reminds me of this That Mitchell & Webb Look skit: Let's not get bogged down in so called research and internet jargon

where's your sources to back "it" up LOL.

Back WHAT up. WHAT exactly, do you want backed up?

Still awaiting the explaination as to why you said I apparently said the flash player for mobile was PROVED. That's troll behaviour.

btw web shop is a term often used here. Look it up if need be.
  • Reply 368 of 447
    Anyway, what a lot of wasted time.

So we've learned that few want proof of a flash player, even though none exists beyond some demos of a beta, and they really hate flash.

and the world... is truly, a better place for it.

So go forth, and hate flash. it is after all. quite a noble cause. Enjoy!
  • Reply 369 of 447
    Sounds like someone had too much electric.
  • Reply 370 of 447
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Groove is pretty persistent - poor guy has been arguing his point for 9 hours straight.
  • Reply 371 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Groove is pretty persistent - poor guy has been arguing his point for 9 hours straight.

When you count in his lunch break it looks like Adobe isn't paying OT on this subject justyet. I wonder if they use their own accounts of if they rotate the same account between shifts.
  • Reply 372 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

takes two to tango.

it seems solipsism can only really hang on to the idea that I might be employed by adobe.

paranoia perhaps?

perhaps what drives him to make things up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by solipsism

You're the one claiming it's proven so we want you to prove it. Pretty fraking straightforward.

No one here has made claims about unannounced products so we wouldn't say that the next iPhone or iPad will or won't be better.

Most of here like to use facts that are backed up. You should try it sometime.

still hasn't addressed this lie, and generally, trolls don't.
  • Reply 373 of 447
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

...still hasn't addressed this lie, and generally, trolls don't.

Dude, if he was a troll, he'd have been banned about sixteen thousand posts ago.

And I totally support Apple in banning the porting of flash apps. More often than not, using a ported app is much like eating someone else's leftovers.
  • Reply 374 of 447
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    What part of Apple's letter do they not understand.

I thought Adobe had Google and HP and Palm and Nokia and Blackberry and Samsung as partners...

Why can't they leave Apple the hell alone.

Why is Adobe pestering Apple and not Microsoft? MS won't allow flash on Windows Phone 7 either.

Adobe loves Apple so much that they tried to destroy Apple with antitrust charges.

Who the hell do they think they are dealing with here...

Grow up Adobe!
  • Reply 375 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Dude, if he was a troll, he'd have been banned about sixteen thousand posts ago.

My very first reply to him I pointed out where is woefully incorrect and kept pointing it out, but he just keeps backtracking like a training circus chimp on a unicycle and saying that isn't what he meant or whatever trolls do to always prove their case without ever posting anything to backup their position. I think his first post on this forum was to TenoBell; it started off smarmy and condescending and then just continued on from there.
  • Reply 376 of 447
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

And I totally support Apple in banning the porting of flash apps. More often than not, using a ported app is much like eating someone else's leftovers.

I believe that is called "sloppy seconds" using the vernacular.

• Reply 377 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My very first reply to him I pointed out where is woefully incorrect and kept pointing it out, but he just keeps backtracking like a training circus chimp on a unicycle and saying that isn't what he meant or whatever trolls do to always prove their case without ever posting anything to backup their position. I think his first post on this forum was to TenoBell; it started off smarmy and condescending and then just continued on from there.

actually no. Here's my first post.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=72 Nothing really "smarmy" really. The discussion deteriorated from there from everyone involved.

And your very first reply to me you called me a kid looking for the ban hammer. Then you went on to call me a liar, and adobe shill.

So you never did reply as to why you are compelled to lie that people said something when they didn't. Regardless of how many post you have here, that's pretty low.

As I said, only trolls do that.
  • Reply 378 of 447
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

What part of Apple's letter do they not understand.

I thought Adobe had Google and HP and Palm and Nokia and Blackberry and Samsung as partners...

Why can't they leave Apple the hell alone.

Why is Adobe pestering Apple and not Microsoft? MS won't allow flash on Windows Phone 7 either.

Adobe loves Apple so much that they tried to destroy Apple with antitrust charges.

Who the hell do they think they are dealing with here...

Grow up Adobe!

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/201...ndows-phone-7/

I highly doubt adobe could hope to destroy apple with an anti trust. They should just put out a good player. End of story.
  • Reply 379 of 447
    nw3227nw3227 Posts: 16member
    Adobe has refuted virtually nothing in the Steve Jobs letter. That speaks volumes.
  • Reply 380 of 447
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Adobe is desperate to turn the tide of public opinion in their favor and against Apple. The problem? Most people don't care about Flash. They love the content that has been provided in Flash, but do they care about the technology itself? Not at all! If HTML5 or an app can fill the hole left by the exclusion of Flash, they're not going to toss out their iPad/iPhone just because certain code won't run on it.