Gizmodo affidavit says roommate's tip led police to iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, I choose to associate with honest people. I'm sorry you're more comfortable living with criminals.

All the facts available indicate that Chen knowingly purchased stolen property. In what state would that NOT be a crime?

Granted, it needs to be proven in a court of law that he actually did what everyone claimed, but all the facts available point in that direction.

So how much is Gizmodo paying you?

Once again you elect to edit to your choosing (I am actually too tired from having been up multiple nights working on month end closing and preparing for an audit to even play with you tonight, much less think of the correct vocabulary.). WHERE does it state CHEN made the purchase?

Not in the affidavit. It blatantly states CHEN'S BOSS was the one contacted in all cases.

Where are YOU getting YOUR facts?
  • Reply 42 of 309
    tipttipt Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

You're not a lawyer. The quotes would be admissible because they are statements by a party opponent.

I doubt it is an admission by a party opponent - It doesn't appear that she is a co-conspirator, but maybe it can be argued that she is.
  • Reply 43 of 309
    Once he realized exactly who the phone belonged to and refused to return it and only was concerned with cashing in... it went from officially lost to officially stolen and trying to profit from stolen items. Simple as that.

He deserves any penalties that follow. What an idiot.

His female roommate was smart to call in and let them know she had nothing to do with it, smart enough to know this could turn into a big issue and didn't want to risk any arrest, major fine, or possible jail time. Very smart of her.
  • Reply 44 of 309
    tipttipt Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

cool! Indeed IANAL, but I gather that Hogan can deny under oath having made the statements, but his actions are consistent with having made them.

If you're a lawyer, stormj, these forums need more of your input--especially if you know IP law!

If you're not a lawyer, then you need to disqualify yourself or not make forthright assertions about the law.

It's not really IP law you are arguing there, but rules of evidence. You can look up these rules. The rule regarding hearsay is rule 801 under the Federal Rules of Evidence - but just reading them cold might not give you much insight in how the rules are applied. California has its own set of rules. See here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html - Evidence.

Edit to add: search warrants can be obtained based on other people's statements, just need probable cause. Generally speaking, hearsay is an issue that is most relevant in the context of a trial or hearing. So it depends on what the context is.
  • Reply 45 of 309
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Once again you elect to edit to your choosing (I am actually too tired from having been up multiple nights working on month end closing and preparing for an audit to even play with you tonight, much less think of the correct vocabulary.). WHERE does it state CHEN made the purchase?

Not in the affidavit. It blatantly states CHEN'S BOSS was the one contacted in all cases.

Where are YOU getting YOUR facts?

Let's see:

Whose home was the search warrant for? Chen's

Who published the story and admitted to taking the phone apart? Chen

Who asked Apple for a letter from legal before returning the phone? Chen

Who eventually returned the phone to Apple? Chen

Now, explain to me how Chen did not take possession of stolen property.

Admittedly, his boss may also be in trouble, but that doesn't absolve Chen.
  • Reply 46 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan2236 View Post

Are you all too much of Apple fanboys to realize what a damn snitch that roommate is? Seriously, I would NEVER call the cops on my roommate unless he killed someone. Capital crimes are NO crimes to betray your friends for.

Personally, I would choose to have a better class of friends. My friends would never, ever do something that stupid and would not put me in a position where I feared I was committing a crime because of their stupidity and greed. If they did, they would no longer be my friend.
  • Reply 47 of 309
    And here I thought Gizmodo LOVED iPhone stories. I searched their page and didn't see any mention of this story today. I thought they would be all over anything iPhone 4g. What a bunch of D-Bags. So much for journalistic integrity.
  • Reply 48 of 309
    I'm actually sick of seeing Jason chen's face on google news in the thumbnail. That is one ugly dude.
  • Reply 49 of 309
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

I feel sorry for Chen. He was hung out to dry by Gizmodo. They gave him bad advice.

Chen is (eventually) going to get exactly what he deserves. That's the thing about character and integrity; if you have it, it'll show up at times like this when you really need it.
  • Reply 50 of 309
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

^^^^^Zealot.

Ignore.....ON!!!

Reread the AI ToS.

First, you don't get to make public attacks on people like that. Second, you don't get to publicly call out who you are putting on your ignore list. You agreed to those terms when you signed up for AI forums, and I -- for one -- would appreciate the added civility that abiding by the ToS would bring to this discussion.
  • Reply 51 of 309
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Are you all too much of Apple fanboys to realize what a damn snitch that roommate is? Seriously, I would NEVER call the cops on my roommate unless he killed someone. Capital crimes are NO crimes to betray your friends for.

She supposedly called as the phone was connected to her computer in an attempt to snyc it with itunes, and she feared she would be involved in the situation when she had nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 52 of 309
    Quote:

"Snitch".

As if thieves have honor...
  • Reply 53 of 309
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Are these same gullible people still giving Chen the benefit of the doubt? I wonder what will come of police reading the emails on his computer they confiscated?

Chen is a journalist = untouchable. Al Capone never had nothing on Chen, baby!
  • Reply 54 of 309
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

"Snitch".

As if thieves have honor...

Didn't Giz also "snitch" on Apple's top secret prototype?
  • Reply 55 of 309
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Considering that by using the roommates computer he was potentially making her an accomplice after the fact, she did the smart thing by calling. I am pretty sure most people would not consider you to be honest or smart.
  • Reply 56 of 309
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You do not understand the severity of a felony conviction. If you were in the same position, you might reconsider your position of remaining an accessory to a serious crime.
  • Reply 57 of 309
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Let me tell you something. If I am the room mate, why would I sacrifice my freedom for an idiot like Hogan . Are you willing to pay for her lawyers. Will you be the first one offering to take her place in a jail cell for x amount of years as well as, be the first one to help pay the massive fines the court will award Apple for her complicity and oh yeah, will you be the first one to offer her a respectable job when she gets out of prison??

Hogan had put her in that position unwillingly, he endangered her future knowing that if something goes wrong, she will unwittingly go down with him. So tell me, dan2236, why would the room mate protect Hogan ??
  • Reply 58 of 309
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    ... oh wait!
  • Reply 59 of 309
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Brian Lam wrote an email to Jobs stating that he knew it would cause lost sales. Not only that but, in the email, he was seemingly trying to blackmail Jobs into giving Gizmodo better access (in exchange for getting the phone back sooner) while trying to get confirmation that this was the next iPhone so they could go ahead with the story.

Yes, Gizmodo is in trouble and did all kinds of things wrong, but: why would Gizmodo "return" a phone to Apple if it was not Apple's in the first place?! Of course Lam needed to have it confirmed that it was Apple's property.

For all they knew, it was an elaborate hoax; the only indication they had that it was actually Apple's and not, say, a knock-off with some clever screen printing on the back, was Gray Powell's Facebook page — which in and of itself could have been a hoax, because no one at Gizmodo ever saw the device while it was still functioning, and they did not dismantle it until AFTER Apple confirmed it. Which was fucking stupid, frankly.
  • Reply 60 of 309
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted