Foxconn to ship 24M next-gen iPhones with improved displays in 2010

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Foxconn, the manufacturer of Apple's fourth-generation iPhone, will ship 24 million units in 2010, with new LCD displays that include IPS and FFS technology for improved e-book reading capabilities, according to component makers.

Industry sources shared the information with Ming-Chi Kuo, analyst with Digitimes. The Taiwanese industry publication reported Monday that Apple's next-generation iPhone will adopt the same in-plane switching (IPS) technology for superior viewing angles on its LCD display as the iPad. The new iPhone display will also reportedly include fringe-field switching, or FFS, technology.

"By incorporating FFS technology, which enables a wider viewing angle and clearer visual quality under in sunlight, Apple is aiming to improve the handset's e-book reader functions and promote its iBooks store," the report said. "HTC's Hero smartphone has already adopted this technology."

Foxconn is expected to ship 4.5 million next-generation handsets in June alone. The report also reconfirmed that the next iPhone will have a 960x640 pixel double-resolution display. Screens will reportedly be supplied by LG Display and Prime View International.

But the report also claimed that the next-generation iPhone will include 512MB of RAM from Samsung. That specifically contradicts the markings on a leaked iPhone prototype from Vietnam that was dismantled and pictured last week. The labels on that phone's A4 processor indicated that it included 256MB of system RAM -- the same amount found in the recently released iPad.

Finally, Kuo said suppliers indicated the new iPhone's display panel is 33 percent thinner than previous generation devices, which will allow more space within the handset for larger battery modules, supplied by Simplo Technology and Dynapack International Technology. The larger battery was confirmed in Gizmodo's teardown of an obtained iPhone prototype, which found a battery 19 percent larger than the current iPhone's power supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Yowza!!!
  • Reply 2 of 101
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Maybe iPhone 5G will finally catch up.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

OLED is NOT better, it is useless outside.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

aiming to improve teh handset's

Yet another AI post with an obvious typo. I love this site, but these guys really need to have their worked proofed before they post. I agree, however, that "just because everyone is doing it" doesn't mean OLED is better. It's just like cramming more pixels into a camera - most manufacturers did it because ignorant consumers "knew" that more is better...
  • Reply 5 of 101
    OLED would not be better for all of the uses.

It may be better inside in the right light, but the technology being mentioned here will be a much better compromise, if it even is a compromise, than putting in an OLED screen.

This is great news for the iPhone.

I only wish that it had a 4.x inch screen like so many are getting now. 3.5 inch seems a tad small these days.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    jbro1999jbro1999 Posts: 38member
    awesome. 512MB of RAM??

I wouldn't buy if the 4G had a OLED screen.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Take it outside. Literally and figuratively.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

OLED would not be better for all of the uses.

It may be better inside in the right light, but the technology being mentioned here will be a much better compromise, if it even is a compromise, than putting in an OLED screen.

This is great news for the iPhone.

I only wish that it had a 4.x inch screen like so many are getting now. 3.5 inch seems a tad small these days.

I'm not letting myself become to excited about the new iPhone. Because, I don't think I can get the upgrade price from At&t. I purchased a refurbished 3G iPhone last July. I read the ai article about At&t allowing early upgrades... However - I checked my account and I am not permitted until 04/4/2011. Which doesn't make sense because I thought you get upgrade pricing per year? That would be 21 months with the same phone. Grrr...

From my account:

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 04/04/2011"

An iPhone 3GS would cost $399.00 right now.

Edit: Does this mean I get a small reduced price right now? I am so confused...
  • Reply 9 of 101
    The new iPhone needs 512 MB RAM if it is to play in the "great specs" arena with many other new phones. But considering that the iPad has only 256 MB and does a decent job, it may just come with only 256 MB and be okay.

Frankly, I don't know why the iPad didn't come with 512 MB.

There's no doubt in my mind that the next iPad "refresh" will have 512 MB at least.

Here's hoping the iPhone does have 512 MB.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimitrott View Post

Yes, Another LCD when everyone else is moving to OLED? Very disappointing. Has Steve not seen the Nexus One's display?

Nexus One? What's that?

The handset that Google is running away from?
  • Reply 11 of 101
    rd68krd68k Posts: 16member
    It might be possible that we will meet a second version of Apple A4 processor:

- Apple A4 with 256MB DRAM in lowest cost, 16GB, version of iPhone 4G as well as in iPad

- Apple A4 with 512MB DRAM in higher end iPhone 4G, with 32GB and, possibly, 64GB FLASH models

Multitasking and competition from Android...
  • Reply 12 of 101
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the report also claimed that the next-generation iPhone will include 512MB of RAM from Samsung. That specifically contradicts the markings on a leaked iPhone prototype from Vietnam that was dismantled and pictured last week. The labels on that phone's A4 processor indicated that it included 256MB of system RAM -- the same amount found in the recently released iPad.

Just because the stolen iPhone had the A4 with 256MB RAM does not mean that there are not other versions out there. I have seen prototype Macs in the wild with varying components right before shipping. They can get great value stress testing with all available models even if they do not match exactly the final specs. Remember that the unfortunate fellow that had his iPhone STOLEN was working on the radio.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:

The new iPhone needs 512 MB RAM if it is to play in the "great specs" arena with many other new phones. But considering that the iPad has only 256 MB and does a decent job, it may just come with only 256 MB and be okay.

Frankly, I don't know why the iPad didn't come with 512 MB.

There's no doubt in my mind that the next iPad "refresh" will have 512 MB at least.

Here's hoping the iPhone does have 512 MB.

I think the value of spec-comparison is vastly over rated. Why not speak in terms of what you want in terms of a result, as opposed to a means?

I understand if someone says "I hope the next revision of this device runs faster," but who cares how much RAM it has? Who is to say RAM is even the limiting factor? These are just conclusory statements that fail to articulate any real objective.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Lol I love when the RAM question comes up. Everyone weighs in with the, "If they don't double it this time, the phone will suck"

What geniuses and engineers we have! Good grief, go crawl in a hole, pls.

This iPhone will have 256 mb of RAM on the A4, because the iPad does. Plain and simple. No exception, no possibility of exception. Sorry, but it's truth.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    FFS , For *&% Sake Technology ......... Will there be LOL or ROFL tech as well?
  • Reply 16 of 101
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Apple are shipping nearly 30m devices with this display, and presumably a load of iPod Touches too.

OLED is okay for devices that ship a few million, but they can't be made in the necessary quantities.

In addition it isn't the miracle technology that it is hailed as, although it is very neat and has some real benefits.

I wonder if this is a real 640x960 display (real as in all R,G,B sub-pixels present in each pixel) - if so, that's a major improvement and incredible DPI.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Very happy to hear about IPS and FFS but I am not sure how much of this can be believed. I don't see IPS on a phone as important as it is on a tablet which is more likely to be viewed by others at varying angles. Plus, even on a small screen I think IPS would take up more power which is still the limiting factor of smartphones. Hopefully the 16.4% larger battery and specialized A4 and tighter silicon will substantially add to the battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The larger battery was confirmed in Gizmodo's teardown of an obtained iPhone prototype, which found a battery 19 percent larger than the current iPhone's power supply.

How are sites getting 19%? My calculations come out to 16.4% increase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Take it outside. Literally and figuratively.

First funny of the day. Good way to start the week.

Quote:

Of course it's small, it's a phone. I want something that fits in my hand and pocket comfortably. I think 3.5" was well thought out before they went with it. They could have gone with 4.x" from the start and had a lot more room for more HW and bigger battery, but they didn't. I don't expect that to change until they can make the screen bigger without making the footprint remain the same.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:

OLED is a joke. It doesn't use a backlit system. It relies on the material and that sh** doesn't last very long. ISP display with double resolution. Get out of town!

It will blow OLED away!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 101
    wally626wally626 Posts: 72member
    The Nexus One display is better than the current iPhone but it may not be as good as a new 960 x 480 LCD from Apple. The Nexus resoltuion is limited by the pixel technology to Quote Wikipeadia

Quote:

The Nexus One has a 3.7 inch AMOLED screen with PenTile matrix pixel arrangement.[36] The raster resolution is 800x480 pixels, however each pixel in the PenTile RGBG display has only two subpixels (red and green, or blue and green alternately),[37] rather than the three found in most displays. This gives it a total effective subpixel resolution of a 392x653 RBG display.[37]

The LCD display may also provide advantages in average power usage, thickness, oil resistance, day time use, touch layer sensitivity etc. and cost. We won't really know until it ships.

As far as update prices go, If I remember from last time AT&T gives you some price relief on a early upgrade but not as much as a two year or 18-month turnover. So instead of getting the new iPhone for $199 plus 2 yr contract, it may have been $299 plus 2 yr contract ( or even $399) but less then paying off the old contract or paying retail for the new phone.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    RAM = Ridiculous Argument Maker