Revised 2010 MacBook now supports HDMI with audio output

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All your daughters are old enough for me to date.

We will all miss you around here, assuming you get caught dating the pre-teen with the e-Mac.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:

No, you didn't. You wanted to add the port you want to suit your needs even though it's a technology designed for a media center, not a PC. So if you are suggesting that Apple add a port because one doesn't want to pay a few dollars for an adapter then that opens things up for every port to be added because someone already has a cable for it or doesn't want to pay for an adapter.

DP is much more adaptable than HDMI as every implementation I know of will also output HDMI/DVI signaling. It will not output analog but I don't think supporting any and every consumer whim is a requirement. We finally have audio over a high-bandwidth, future-forward PC display connection. That's sounds good to me. For an HDTV I'd rather see the AppleTV get revised, not try to turn my MBP into a makeshift media center. Right now, I just use TiVo over the network and it works great; it even supports AVI and MKV containers.

I don't know about others, but I've been waiting for months to buy a new Mac just because I want to be able to stream directly to my TV's through HDMI. I looked at the Rube Goldberg adapters previously required to combine video and audio and they were just too clugey. Plus, the only get analog audio. Now that Apple has finally made an acceptable Mini DisplayPort that includes audio, I am going to buy a new Mac. I suspect I'm not the only one. Although I am puzzled that now there is so little difference between the MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    It appears that there is no Audio input plug.

Of course one can use a USB headset, but for some applications a Mic/line input is desirable.

Too bad. Seems a shame to cut such corners!
  • Reply 24 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

We will all miss you around here, assuming you get caught dating the pre-teen with the e-Mac.

I saw 25yo and 31yo, nothing even close to a teenager.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncertain View Post

Although I am puzzled that now there is so little difference between the MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro.

For $200 difference (or $150 with education discount) I think the 13" MBP is a great up sell.

As Apple grows I think their very limited product line could hurt them. We're already seeing increased delays in updates after new CPUs become available. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a single model 15" MacBook, not unlike the iBooks coming in 12" and 14" sizes when the PowerBooks were 12", 15" and 17".
  • Reply 25 of 68
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well at least you have a good sense of humor about it all! Your daughter is a fortunate young lady!

My daughter is 25, in school and has a 13" MacBookPro with 4gig of RAM and 8hrs of battery life...I, of course, have the original intel MacBook!

You are lucky! MY daughter (at college) has MY original intel MacBook, and I am left with the single proc G5 Power Mac! (Was a hot item in its day but now a lil clunky with all I have running at one time.)
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

It appears that there is no Audio input plug.

Of course one can use a USB headset, but for some applications a Mic/line input is desirable.

Too bad. Seems a shame to cut such corners!

The Audio In is the Audio Out on the 13" MB and MBPs. Same goes for the larger MBPs, too, but they also have a separate Audio Out port. They are all both analog and optical.

They use the same 3.5mm jack in the iPhone so your headphones can support speakers and mic on same setup.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:

I saw 25yo and 31yo, nothing even close to a teenager.

bigdaddyp in post #3.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

bigdaddyp in post #3.

Ah. Didn't even recall that "daughter" mention.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Notice that big, ugly, hard-to-disconnect Ethernet port. Why Apple doesn't create a replacement along the lines of the MagSafe connector and open source it to the world is beyond me. A simple adapter would ensure backward compatibility in the few months before everyone rushes to this new and much more sensible standard.

The existing connector must be some 30 years old and had to have been designed to make it hard for non-IP staff to disconnect from their immovable PCs. It should have been killed off at least a decade ago.

I agree, I have wondered about that myself as well. But then again, how long before this port will be gone fore good too? I don't remember when I used it for the last time. In the mean time, WiFi is omnipresent. And if there is no WiFi, say in a hotel, I use my Airport Express.

I would give it another two years and then it will be Apple - who else? - as the first one to omit this port. Of course the PC world will laugh and cry at first again but like with the floppy disk and CD-player, leave it up to Apple to lead the way.

Jan
  • Reply 30 of 68
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
  • Reply 31 of 68
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I agree, I have wondered about that myself as well. But then again, how long before this port will be gone fore good too? I don't remember when I used it for the last time. In the mean time, WiFi is omnipresent. And if there is no WiFi, say in a hotel, I use my Airport Express.

Jan

Actually, Apple and Intel are supposedly working on an optical connector that will serve several puroposes. Known as "Light Peak", 10GBS is the estimated speed. Should replace firewire, ethernet and maybe every other connector that requires very fast speed.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Actually, Apple and Intel are supposedly working on an optical connector that will serve several puroposes. Known as "Light Peak", 10GBS is the estimated speed. Should replace firewire, ethernet and maybe every other connector that requires very fast speed.

And up to 100Gbps and beyond. But there seem to be many issues with this tech.

For starters, despite Intel's speed to get this going and their delay on USB3.0 support, there seems to be little evidence that LightPeak is close to be supported by anyone and USB3.0 chips are being shipped by the millions.

Another issue is the cost of adapters. Just look how much a cooper-to-cooper adapter costs from DP-to-HDMI. Just because LightPeak is protocol independent doesn't mean that an optical cable can bump a signal to a cooper cable. Adapters are historically much, much cheaper than convertors.

I wouldn't expect to see LightPeak for at least another year. Heck, OpenCL was ratified and adopted at light speed and I still can't find a single Apple product that uses it.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

any one knows whether mac mini has this new type of mini display with audio output yet?

I just bought the higher end configuration and it does nor put our audio over displayport.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Ah. Didn't even recall that "daughter" mention.

Just because we are living in the south doesn't mean that an older man dating a pre-teen is an acceptable societal norm...anymore.

I agree that the macbook line needs a 15" model but should keep a 13" model for the kids that need a thin and light portable. In the past some people have claimed that if you need a larger screen you need a "pro" model. I disagree, It could simply mean you are like me and getting old.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

i am not sure how "light peak" works as i did not read their spec. but the issue is not that fiber technology can not do 10gig or faster. it is electronics. regardless what speed, it has to convert to electronic signal from optical. the dispersion resulted from this conversion at 10g speed is hugh, thus at this speed, to do this electronic dispersion compensation is not a simple task, so an extra chip is needed. this will add more cost. so within couple of years, higher speed in optical on desktop pc is not feasible.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

I don't think I said add every port. But a typical life-span of a laptop before someone wants to upgrade it puts having HDMI out a timely choice as that's a port in your average consumers home that they can plug into their HDTV. Seems like reading the threads above Display Port isn't very adaptable as ports change and you still need to have the right hardware to even take advantage of it.

If there was proper cable support for mini-DP->HDMI (including audio), I think most people wouldn't need an HDMI port. The problem is that most of the 3rd party cables available today don't pass audio to the TV. Apple owes it to their customers to build a cable that "just works" to make this a non-issue for people.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple owes it to their customers to build a cable that "just works" to make this a non-issue for people.

This I agree with.

To add to that, I think Apple should have included audio to mDP when they first introduced it... along with an adapter.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    londorlondor Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Support for audio output over the Mini DisplayPort connector debuted with the latest generation of MacBook Pros.

No, it debuted with the latest generation of iMacs.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    So, how many audio channels are supported through the HDMI cable? 5.1?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Well it's good that the MacBook is getting a speed boost and hdmi support but it seems a little too close to the 13" MacBook Pro to me;

what I'd really like is the 13" MBP, and the MacBook Air in particular, to have the option of a built in 3G reciever when ordering online.