Revised 2010 MacBook now supports HDMI with audio output

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I have to agree that HDMI has become a standard of today. It is totally puzzling that the iPad is supporting VGA and uses a 4:3 aspect ratio. How can it be a movie player and not employ a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I will get stones thrown at me, but I still think it is a shame ... Apple is based on what one man likes or doesn't like.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I have to agree that HDMI has become a standard of today.

As long as you can plug a cable with HDMI on one side to your TV and mini-DisplayPort into your Mac, what's the problem?

Why not run with the monitor standard that has great video backward compatibility to HDMI, vs. using the mediocre HDMI TV standard that has poor compatibility with higher resolution monitors?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

How can it be a movie player and not employ a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Because the 16:9 form factor doesn't exactly work for tablet computers? It would wind up either being too tall or too narrow. Have you held an iPad? Don't get so lost in the specs that you loose the utility of it.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

As long as you can plug a cable with HDMI on one side to your TV and mini-DisplayPort into your Mac, what's the problem?

the never ending nickle and diming of people
  • Reply 64 of 68
    applwow8applwow8 Posts: 1member
    Breathing all Contraries with the same Wind

According to the Caprice of the Mind.

But Billetdoux are constant Witnesses,

Substantial Records to Eternity.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

I don't think I said add every port. But a typical life-span of a laptop before someone wants to upgrade it puts having HDMI out a timely choice as that's a port in your average consumers home that they can plug into their HDTV. Seems like reading the threads above Display Port isn't very adaptable as ports change and you still need to have the right hardware to even take advantage of it.

Actually it's the other way around. Display Port is VERY adaptable as is Mini-Display Port. HDMI is much more limited. for the price you buy an extra HDMI cable to go to your computer to your "HDMI" you can also buy a Mini-Display port to HDMI port cable. It's really not that complicated. AND yes. it also supports HDCP protection so all Apple has to do is add the BluRay drives when they are ready to support BluRay.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Adding every port is not feasible so adding one more isn't either? Sorry, I don't see the logic there. What do you connect a computer to for display purposes? Answer: a monitor or a TV. HDMI is what every modern TV has. Being able to port video and audio to a TV from your computer is a pretty basic thing for consumers to want to do. The mini especially is perfect for an HTPC. So while adding every type of port doesn't make since, not adding HDMI makes no sense either?the two scenarios are hardly the same thing.

Yeah except MiniDisplay port supports Audio and Video. Apple hasn't until now (why..only they know) but Display Port has always had that option just like HDMI. Display Port is more scalable, and can run two displays off one port where as HDMI CANNOT. Display Port IS backwards compatible with HDMI, DVI, HDVI etc... and is HDCP compliant. More computer Monitors will start shipping with Display Port or Mini-Display Port regardless of what the Consumer TV manufacturers do. There are cables to carry Video and Audio from Mini-Display port to HDMI so it really doesn't matter.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Anyone who has photos, video, or multimedia presentations and wants to quickly connect their computer to a a big ol' HD TV would use HDMI. That is why you keep reading that people want to do it and is the "evidence" you see but don't acknowledge. Why should you want to buy "a media extender" (your assertion that "media extender" does a lot more is debatable) in addition to your $2000+ computer when the addition of one cheap-to-ad HDMI port would make it more feasible to do it on one device instead of needing two. The more money people spend on their computer, the happier they are when that computer does things other people can do with their less expensive computers. If you haven't seen evidence of that, you aint lookin' very hard. Let's say someone just bought an expensive Apple lap top, it's in their car and they have photos and videos on it they want to show Grandmom while visiting. With HDMI easy, without it too much of a pain. Yes, grandparents now days do have HD tvs too. How about in a business setting? The company you've been trying to set up a meeting with calls you up to give a pitch at their office. You bring your new lap top into their conference room that has a media set-up. No matter what computers they use, if they have an HD TV of some flavor in their meeting room (most do now days) if you have and HDMI out, one quick connection to an HDMI cable (they probably already have one attached to their HD TV) and you're smoothly up and running with your Keynote presentation, video, 3D walk-through, website demo, whatever. Without the HDMI output you look like a bozo trying to get your laptop connected to their HD TV or you have to ask everyone to huddle around you and do the "I can't see around the reflection on your laptop" dance." It happens every day. It is particularly important to show up with easy to use, has-all-the latest connections equipment if you happen to be in a technology oriented business, especially if your business is creating a variety multi-media presentation, like mine is.

Dude.. what' the difference in buying an HDMI to HDMI cable and a Mini-Display to HDMI cable? Zero
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This supports audio on HDMI:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...play-converter

Yeah but it's UGLY! how about just a regular Cable????