Apple repeals no-cash policy, gives woman free iPad for her troubles

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After a San Francisco, Calif., news report highlighted a woman who was denied the ability to purchase an iPad with cash, Apple has reversed its policy and rewarded the woman by giving her the hardware for free.

Diane Campbell lives on a fixed income, and saved up money to buy an iPad from an Apple store in San Francisco. But when she attempted to purchase the device with cash, she was denied, based on an Apple policy designed to ensure the product is fairly distributed as the hardware is in short supply.

"Mr. Jobs, give a sister a break, OK?" she told the KGO-TV San Francisco news station. "I'm not going to go sell my iPad."

After the station featured Campbell's story, Apple responded. Ron Johnson, Apple's senior vice president of retail, spoke with the newscast to reveal that Apple would no longer continue its credit-only policy.

"It came to our attention that Diane, through your story was very interested in buying an iPad with cash," Johnson said. "And we made a decision today to change that."

Apple's original intent was to make sure that its policy restricting iPad preorders to two per customer was properly enforced. Apple has faced strong demand and limited supply of the iPad since it first launched in the U.S. on April 3.

Now, anyone can pay for an iPad with cash, as long as they set up their Apple account at the store. The iPad must first be connected to a PC or Mac with iTunes to be activated regardless.

Apple also sent two employees to Campbell's home to personally deliver her an iPad, free of charge. She excitedly thanked Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

"I am just so excited," she said to the ABC station holding her brand new iPad enclosed in Apple's official case. "Words cannot explain right now."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Another example of free advertising from Apple. Great story, great ending!
  • Reply 2 of 93
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    A great PR gesture! I am seeing news reports of this all over. What a "feel good" story.

You could not buy this kind of advertising!
  • Reply 3 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

A great PR gesture! I am seeing news reports of this all over. What a "feel good" story.

You could not buy this kind of advertising!

Sure you can. For the price of an iPad. Obviously. :P
  • Reply 4 of 93
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I went with my 12 year old nephew last week who cleaned out his savings account of good grade rewards, birthday money etc to buy an ipad. All cash. It was our second trip since the first time they were sold out and we had to sign up to wait for one.

I didn't know about the policy, but wasn't going to raise a fuss since I'm aware (from having done retail myself) that there's nothing illegal about the restriction. I was going to buy the ipad for him with my debit card and then go deposit his cash into my account on the way home.

But then I figured give it a shot and politely asked to speak to a manager. This by the way was an an LA store in an area that is rumored to get a lot of resellers trying to buy stuff.

I explained the situation to the manager who totally waived the rule and let Lucas buy his ipad himself, with cash. The manager even rang Lucas up himself, helped him activate the ipad and told him about a couple of games his son (who is about the same age) really likes.

Kind of makes me wonder if Ms Campbell actually spoke to a manager or just took her no and her indignation out the door and to ABC.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    She should have asked Steve Jobs to sign it, posted on eBay and made an even bigger profit IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    "designed to prevent ensure the product"

Should the word "prevent" be here?

"spoke with the newscast to reveal that Apple would no longer institute its cash-only policy."

Shouldn't this be "its no-cash policy" or "credit-only"

Honestly, please take a moment and read what you write before you post it. Or have someone else proof it. That's a pretty common editorial procedure.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I went with my 12 year old nephew last week who cleaned out his savings account of good grade rewards, birthday money etc to buy an ipad. All cash. It was our second trip since the first time they were sold out and we had to sign up to wait for one.

I didn't know about the policy, but wasn't going to raise a fuss since I'm aware (from having done retail myself) that there's nothing illegal about the restriction. I was going to buy the ipad for him with my debit card and then go deposit his cash into my account on the way home.

But then I figured give it a shot and politely asked to speak to a manager. This by the way was an an LA store in an area that is rumored to get a lot of resellers trying to buy stuff.

I explained the situation to the manager who totally waived the rule and let Lucas buy his ipad himself, with cash. The manager even rang Lucas up himself, helped him activate the ipad and told him about a couple of games his son (who is about the same age) really likes.

Kind of makes me wonder if Ms Campbell actually spoke to a manager or just took her no and her indignation out the door and to ABC.

What a nice gesture by that manager!
  • Reply 8 of 93
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Although I do generally get annoyed when someone who complains loudly gets special treatment, Apple did right thing here. I'm sure there are people like me who never ask to see the manager and would just walk away disappointed. Now thanks to her story making the news, all the stores will have better processes for dealing with cash customers.

Also it's good to hear that your Apple store treated you well without having to go any higher than the store manager.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    She can use the money she saved to buy a PC to activate, backup and update her iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    It says so on our money.

I had an idiot in an art store in San Francisco try to refuse to sell me a poster for cash, insisting on a credit card. When I offered to come back with the police, I got my poster...for cash.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Hey Jobs!!! I don't have money to buy a new 13" MacBook Pro, and I want it SO, SO BADLY. Send me one please. I swear I will notify any major news sites about my history, I SWEAR!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 93
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Apple would no longer institute its cash-only policy.

Institute? Don't you mean "continue?" Institute means to begin, not continue!

Who preefrood this article anyway? Some person in some offshore detention camp?
  • Reply 13 of 93
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I am a bit surprised that AI is getting to such stories so late. It was all over the web more than 24 hours ago....

In the meantime, it has been commented upon ad nauseam.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Darn.

I should have thought about complaining myself.

Still happy as clams with my purchase though.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    @ Wildcatherder

Quote:

Valid for all debts public and private

It says so on our money.

I had an idiot in an art store in San Francisco try to refuse to sell me a poster for cash, insisting on a credit card. When I offered to come back with the police, I got my poster...for cash.

Umm... yeah. Actually there is no legal requirement for a business or person selling something to accept your cash. They are required to accept your cash as payment for any prior DEBT -- but before there is a sale of goods, there is no debt. In other words, you're not attempting to pay an existing debt with cash when you buy something at a retail store.

If you bother to do a little research, you'll discover that it's perfectly legal for businesses to refuse to accept cash for purchases or services.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Pipped by slicedbread.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    quashquash Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Institute? Don't you mean "continue?" Institute means to begin, not continue!

Who preefrood this article anyway? Some person in some offshore detention camp?

With all these errors, Im forced to believe, Apple iPad spellcheck sucks, it needs a grammar check as well. These days people are so lazy to just read before posting their stuff
  • Reply 18 of 93
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcatherder View Post

It says so on our money.

Just because it is a valid form of payment does not mean a seller is legally obligated to take it. If he had called your bluff and you had taken your stunt to the police, I'm pretty sure they would have laughed you out of the building. That's exactly like threatening to sue a place because they don't accept checks or don't have a credit card machine. It's all the same money, regardless if it's paper, plastic, or whatever. It's the seller's right to accept or deny whatever he/she wants. If you don't like the policy, shop elsewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcatherder View Post

It says so on our money.

A debt, simply, is when you owe something to someone for providing you with something that has value. Apple does not have to accept your cash, extensibly refusing to serve you, because you have no debt with them, yet. This is similar to kicking someone out of your store for wearing a hat. It's a refusal to serve, which is quite legal.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    And I'm neither the only, nor the fastest, person who knows this and decided to respond.