Apple's back-to-school promo packs less punch than years past

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday officially kicked off its 2010 back-to-school promotion, an annual sale where students and school faculty can buy a Mac with education pricing and get a free 8GB iPod touch, a device that now costs $199.



Shoppers can save $50 on a low-end MacBook, up to $200 on a MacBook Pro, $100 on a MacBook Air, and up to $100 on an iMac desktop when purchased with an education discount through the Apple Store. Each new Mac comes with a free 8GB iPod touch, a $199 value -- less than the hardware has cost during previous promotions. The $949 education price for the low-end MacBook is also higher than in years past.



The deal applies to new Macs bought with education pricing between May 25 and Sept. 7, 2010. Users will receive an online rebate for up to $199 in compensation for the second-generation 8GB iPod touch. Customers must submit their claim online within 90 days from when the order ships to be issued a rebate for the iPod touch.



Alternatively, customers can also receive $199 off a higher-capacity iPod touch or the 160GB iPod classic, $179 off a 16GB iPod nano, $149 off the 8GB iPod nano, a $99 discount for the stainless steel 4GB iPod shuffle, and $79 off the regular 4GB iPod shuffle.



Shoppers can buy through an Apple online store for education, retail store, authorized campus store, or call 1-800-MY-APPLE. Education discounts are available to faculty and staff of K-12 schools, as well as college students, professors, faculty and staff.



"Take a free 8GB iPod touch to school," Apple's promotional page reads. "Along with tons of other great features, iPod touch has built-in Wi-Fi for downloading thousands of games, movies, songs, apps, and amazing, free educational content from iTunes U."



Apple kicked off its back to school promo in late May in 2009, giving away an 8GB iPod touch that then cost $229. In 2008, the sale began in early June, when the 8GB iPod touch cost $299. As is the case this year, customers could also receive a rebate toward the purchase of other iPod models as well.







All shoppers -- students, faculty and otherwise -- can also save money on Macs through AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide, updated daily and included below:



«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    When I bough my mac in summer of 07 I got iPod video, which I think was around $250 at the time. While $199 might sound like a little bit less of a promotion, the price on the Macbooks also fell a good $100 since that time. So in effect you are getting $299, just 100 of it is instant and available during the recession.



    Since I am graduating next year I hope we see amazing upgrades to macs, iPods, Office and MacOS by next summer. It will be the last time I can use my education discount.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    You could cheat a little, since Apple doesn't really check if you really are a student when you go into the 'Education Store' at Apple.com.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post


    You could cheat a little, since Apple doesn't really check if you really are a student when you go into the 'Education Store' at Apple.com.







    That would be too much like Windows users to do.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post






    That would be too much like Windows users to do.



    That was pretty lame.





    And for the record, I'm a fanboi.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    benalexebenalexe Posts: 30member
    I purchased a macbook about 2 weeks ago. Will they honor it or should I return and re - buy?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post


    You could cheat a little, since Apple doesn't really check if you really are a student when you go into the 'Education Store' at Apple.com.



    That would not be nice.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post


    I purchased a macbook about 2 weeks ago. Will they honor it or should I return and re - buy?



    I'm in the same boat: purchased the new MacBook just days after its release. Anyone knows what the policy is?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    benalexebenalexe Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post


    I'm in the same boat: purchased the new MacBook just days after its release. Anyone knows what the policy is?



    I also am calling American express and going to check if that would be covered under buyer protection.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple on Tuesday officially kicked off its 2010 back-to-school promotion, an annual sale where students and school faculty can buy a Mac with education pricing and get a free 8GB iPod touch, a device that now costs $199.



    ...



    The deal applies to new Macs bought with education pricing between May 25 and Sept. 7, 2010. Users will receive an online rebate for up to $199 in compensation for the second-generation 8GB iPod touch. Customers must submit their claim online within 90 days from when the order ships to be issued a rebate for the iPod touch.



    ..there's the silver line right there..



    We all know, close enough for sure, that Steve Jobs will unveil a new iPhone generation on WWDC '10 next month. And along with that, most probably is also a new iPod touch, which is rumored to have a camera on its back.



    I wonder if the deal will also applies to the much rumored new model, if it does coming out soon after Jobs announced it and still in the promo time frame. That would be a great deal, eh? I'll definitely going to "cheat a little", well maybe it'll need more than a little, but hey it's worth it..
  • Reply 10 of 27
    navytimnavytim Posts: 1member
    Apple return policy on the receipt will show 2 weeks, unopened, with no re-stocking fee (10%). If someone want to return/repurchase, it can be done with just the receipt. It is 'returned' then sold back (manually entering the serial #, etc) then can scan in the iPod (now on the same receipt), and you can get the rebate online (do it before you leave the store).
  • Reply 11 of 27
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post


    ..there's the silver line right there..



    We all know, close enough for sure, that Steve Jobs will unveil a new iPhone generation on WWDC '10 next month. And along with that, most probably is also a new iPod touch, which is rumored to have a camera on its back.



    I wonder if the deal will also applies to the much rumored new model, if it does coming out soon after Jobs announced it and still in the promo time frame. That would be a great deal, eh? I'll definitely going to "cheat a little", well maybe it'll need more than a little, but hey it's worth it..



    The iPhone is introduced in June. iPods (including the iPod Touch) aren't updated until Sept. 8ish. The deal has never applied towards the new iPods, unfortunately.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    That was pretty lame.





    And for the record, I'm a fanboi.



    I was being truthful. There was a study done on how many Windows users were using pirated software compared to Mac users, and Windows users were more than 5 times as likely to steal software. Also, explain how Mac users account for around 30% of software sales when they only have a 5% world market share. Mac users buy, while most Windows users steal. I'm on Windows and I know how many people in my realm of my troubleshooting that have stolen software, and it's around 80%. I just thought this sounded a bit like the cheating on Apple's honor policy.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    I was being truthful. There was a study done on how many Windows users were using pirated software compared to Mac users, and Windows users were more than 5 times as likely to steal software. Also, explain how Mac users account for around 30% of software sales when they only have a 5% world market share. Mac users buy, while most Windows users steal. I'm on Windows and I know how many people in my realm of my troubleshooting that have stolen software, and it's around 80%. I just thought this sounded a bit like the cheating on Apple's honor policy.



    My personal experience agrees with you. I even noticed a huge drop in my personal piracy rate when I switched. It helps that OSX doesn't require you to install third party software to perform menial tasks. For a long time, Windows couldn't even convert to PDF without Acrobat, or play DVD's without a third party codec.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    tobiwantobiwan Posts: 71member
    Too bad you can't apply the $199 to the big iPod touch. I could get my 27" iMac and oversized iPod all at once.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    I was wondering if this thing is always us only, or if it will just take some time before it comes to other countries. So far I haven't found any information on either the UK, FR or DE store ...



    I was hoping to get a free iPod Nano.



    Edit: just did some research and found that the back-to-school went live on June 5th last year, so I will hopefully be able to get one then
  • Reply 16 of 27
    kensteekenstee Posts: 14member
    See below
  • Reply 17 of 27
    kensteekenstee Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post


    I purchased a macbook about 2 weeks ago. Will they honor it or should I return and re - buy?



    I'm in the same boat: purchased the new MacBook just days after its release. Anyone knows what the policy is



    Apple return policy on the receipt will show 2 weeks, unopened, with no re-stocking fee (10%). If someone want to return/repurchase, it can be done with just the receipt. It is 'returned' then sold back (manually entering the serial #, etc) then can scan in the iPod (now on the same receipt), and you can get the rebate online (do it before you leave the store).



    I also am calling American express and going to check if that would be covered under buyer protection.



    If you bought yours using the EDU discount on or after May 11 they will honor this offer. Just call 800-676-2775 with your order number. Just did. No rebate forms to fill out or any other hassles. Just choose what you want and it's yours..with free shipping no less!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post


    Too bad you can't apply the $199 to the big iPod touch. I could get my 27" iMac and oversized iPod all at once.



    If you're talking about getting the rebate applied toward the iPod Touch, I'm under the impression that you can get the $199 rebate when a more expensive iPod Touch is purchased.



    "It’s that time of year again! Apple’s throwing a bone (or, alternatively, trying to lock-in) green undergrads heading to college for the first time with their annual “Back to School” program, which nets eligible students a free 8GB iPod Touch (or $199 off any other iPod)."



    http://www.cultofmac.com/buy-a-new-m...od-touch/44407
  • Reply 19 of 27
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Apparently, people don't bother to look things up anymore and just assume away...



    Here's the relevant info from Apple's Promo PDF:



    iPod touch MC086LL/A, MC008LL/A, MC011LL/A -- rebate: $199

    iPod classic 160GB MC293LL/A, MC297LL/A -- rebate $199

    iPod nano 16GB MC060LL/A, MC062LL/A, MC064LL/A, MC066LL/A, MC068LL/A, -- rebate $179

    MC070LL/A, MC072LL/A, MC074LL/A, MC075LL/A

    iPod nano 8GB MC027LL/A, MC031LL/A, MC034LL/A, MC037LL/A, MC040LL/A, $149

    MC043LL/A, MC046LL/A , MC049LL/A, MC050LL/A

    iPod shuffle 4GB MC303LL/A $99

    (stainless steel) (Not available at Apple Authorized Campus Stores)

    iPod shuffle 4GB MB867LL/B, MC164LL/B, MC328LL/A, MC307LL/A, MC331LL/A, MC303LL/A $79



    For those who can't bother to figure out which particular models of iPod touch are the three listed, they are the current models (8GB, 32GB and 64GB, respectively).



    Bottom line, YES, you can apply the $200 rebate towards the monster iPod touch (the $400 64GB model).
  • Reply 20 of 27
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 432member
    This iPod touch discount wouldn't count towards an iPad, would it?
Sign In or Register to comment.