AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

Comments

• Reply 101 of 359
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hodgkin View Post

I really thought that ATT had gotten this whole thing "right" for the iPad. No contracts, buy on the device, reasonable rates, simple plans, easy upgrade path, blah, blah. What's surprising to me is that they're changing these plans SO soon after the introduction of the iPad. I mean, I suppose these plans are subject to change, but this is a pretty quick change -- it's barely been a month.

It was clear that the days of flat-rate unlimited data were over when Steve announced the new iPad data plans.

This shouldn't be any surprise.
  • Reply 102 of 359
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is is good news and a money saver for a lot of people. If you don't see the benefit of this, you're either part of the 2% of the affected heavy data user population or just shortsighted and just plain hate AT&T. Why should I have to pay $30 when I can only pay $15? The overage is also a game changer and very reasonable. This is actually good for both AT&T and Apple. This will get more people (who think the mandatory $30 data plan is too much), casual users at the expense of possibly losing a few people from the 2% population.

Sorry for you heavy data users but there's only a few of you. You're one the main the reasons why AT&T is doing this.

AT&T finally realized they've been overcharging their customers...

Stop defending this Crap, if they realize they were over chairing, why didn't then KEEP the "unlimited" (really 5 gig) plan and make a new plan for 1 gig for $15 and keep the "unlimited" plan. Allot of people would have switched to that plan and people who wanted "unlimited" (5 gig) would still be happy. I love how people are like I do use much data. Yeah maybe NOW you don't, but what happens once video chat comes out, or Itunes cloud, Sling box over 3g, Hulu, SKYPE Etc.. You don't realize the data you will be using. The iPad plan change is a SLAP in the face. this weekend I downloaded a movie off itunes on my iPad(since i was not at home) it was 1.4 gigs, I streamed the Celtics game using sling box (600 mb). Downloaded a GPS app (1.7 gigs) downloaded the Wired magazine app (500 mb) This was just one weekend!!!

This is BULL CRAP. AT&T Should be expanding their capacity on their net work not lowing their CAPs and charging MORE. They are just gouging now.

The Tethering plan is a F'ING joke! pay extra $20 for the same bits but get NO more data.

WTF do they really think we are stupid. This is Bull its time to switch.
  • Reply 103 of 359
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Only the most cultish of Apple fanboy will spin this ripoff as something good. The people who just purchased the iPad 3Gs with the happy promises of unlimited data plan are now finding out that Lord Jobs & AT&T have essentially lied through their teeth. Mass returns, class action lawsuits, FTC, you name it.

You are a moron. Most of us will save money on this plan, well if you count 98% as most. As for the iPad people, no one lied to them, anyone who purchased an iPad, or who buys one within the next week can keep the plans that were announced with the iPad release.
  • Reply 104 of 359
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

let's do a quick poll of the majority user population on the iPhone on ATT. How many do you think require/want tethering? Remember the MAJORITY of users, not just you ubergeeks - anyone? Yeah that's right - only a very small percentage actually want or need tethering. Stupid ATT for playing to the majority user profile!

Lets do another poll, how many iPhone users also have wifi iPad? How many require/want tehering? The thing has only been out a few months so there are no real statistics other than the fact it is selling like mad. Tethering to most people before the iPad was taboo but now, who knows. Being able to tether through my iPhone with my iPad is fantastic (MYFI) and I still use less then 2 GB a month.

Quote:

OK - next question. How many current iPhone on ATT users actually need unlimited data? Anyone - OK wait - put down the "freedom for the packets" signs you geeks. Again - look at the majority of users. They gain from this. ATT is just assigning costs where costs are actually incurred, after 3 years of "unlimited" data (OK yeah we know about the actual cap - stop being such a bloody pedant). Foolish ATT for saving the majority a little change!

Again, prior to the iPad and the soon to launch OS4, many users didnt, now with a whole slew of technology just dropped on us or getting ready to drop on us it is fair to say the montly usage is going to go up, AT$T knows this and sees a way to make more money, they know that 2% is going to increase rapidly.

Quote:

Now you all should have been on one network or other for some time - while they throw discounts out from time to time - how long do you think it will take for Verizon to change their tune and start charging more for their data plans? Especially if Apple releases an iPhone for Verizon (or the other networks for that matter)? Data is a cash cow for all of them and while they throw out the odd discount now and again, as smartphones become more generally popular they are going to line up to start milking the cow big time.

Not really. All it takes is one carrier to stay with unlimited and the others will soon have to go back. Back when cell phones first came out I paid $50 a month for 30 mins. As carriers increased data and eventually offered unlimited, all the rest had to follow suit. AT$T only gets away with this because they are the only ones carrying the iPhone, we have no other options if we want an iPhone. As soon as another carrier gets the iPhone they will want to draw customers, how will they do it, offer unlimited data and AT&T customers will flock. This is why AT$t raised the ETF and is trying hard to lock people into new two year contracts. They know customers do not have a choice but once they do they have allot to account for.
  • Reply 105 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

1. What kind of tethering? If it's only USB/Bluetooth then it's worthless. WiFi tethering is the only worthwhile way to go, and I have no plans to stop my iPhone from doing so.

From a performance standpoint a wired connection is always better than wireless.

Quote:

2. $15/200 mb is good, but not good enough. For people new to iPhone, who are leery about the extreme cost (given that they barely use data at all), this 200 mb a month should be FREE. That's right it should. Free. If you exceed the first 200 mb, then AT&T can charge you $15 for 200 more for the month. THIS would be useful for attracting all those 50 and 60 year olds who would love a phone they could actually see (nothing compares to iPhone) and could actually justify the cost.

I'm not sure you understand how this works. AT&T is in this to make as much money as it can. Giving away a premium service for free does not accomplish that goal.

The US mobile phone market is nearly saturated. The carriers are loosing the ability to add subscribers as revenue growth. Data is the future of carrier revenue. They want to get as many of their subscribers on data plans as possible.

Quote:

3. 2 gb/$25 is extortion, borderline criminal. This is going backwards, and its the worst news we have ever received in the life of the iPhone.

And somehow the world will keep spinning and life will go on.
  • Reply 106 of 359
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Are you sure that the iPad can be tethered? I've never seen any comments one way or the other, but it would not be surprising if it were somehow disabled.

Only through WIFI. Works great on my iPhone using MYFI.
  • Reply 107 of 359
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It was clear that the days of flat-rate unlimited data were over when Steve announced the new iPad data plans.

This shouldn't be any surprise.

Oh yeah, its was VERY CLEAR. when Steve took the stage and said UNLIMITED DATA for iPAD 3G on AT&T only $30. How could you think it he meant UNLIMITED DATA. I sure hell new he meant caped data for $25 a month. How could you not think that?
  • Reply 108 of 359
    jlsniujlsniu Posts: 7member
    So good for AT&T for making the 2% pay more. If it improves the network, then great. Although I though they are shooting themselves in the foot. So in easy numbers 1.9 million people have been "overpaying" by only using 200MB of data but still paying 30.00 a month. .1 million people have been going over 5GB and only paying 30.00. From AT&T's profits perspective, doesn't it sound like they were making more from the 1.9 million people who were underutilizing what they were paying for, by an extreme amount (90%), which would easily offset the .1 million who go over the 5GB.

Now from a customer's perspective, going from 5GB at 30.00 to 2GB at 25.00. That's what I'm pissed about. Great most of us use a lot less data. the 15.00 for 200MB should work for most. But if you do the math, the 2GB is a 60% decrease in the amount of data were are allowed. The price for for that 60% decrease is only about 12% savings. The 2GB plans should be more like 15.00 which would still be only a 50% savings for the 60% decrease of product. I'll give AT&T that because they are still making more profits, and I as the customer are getting a fair deal.

The tethering charge is ridiculous. That extra 20.00 should buy me extra data (up to 5GB like the laptop connect plans). Like people have said, tethering doesn't cost AT&T anything. The software is built into the iphone and has been in there for months already.

As for the iPad bait and switch,

I bought a 3G iPad and now want to return it. It isn't clear but I"m sure as soon as I stop using the 3G for one month, I'll be on the new plan when I sign up again.

This screams of "booo, we lost our exclusivity". I could imagine that AT&T struck a deal with Apple to keep the exclusivity in return for these lower ipad plans, and then their service sucked so Apple was able to get out of that contract... and this is AT&T's way of sticking it to Apple for reneging. Piss of the apple customers and they'll buy different phones. Especially if Verizon doesn't see the phone until November. Plenty of time to get Apple customers pissed off so they can get you to switch to another phone.

I also see this as a way to get more money. As much as you think you only use 200MB a month now. wait until you can multi-task and do video chat. That's numbers going up! And you'll pay AT&T a lot more for the pleasure of using the features of your phone.

I live in SF and the AT&T service is such crap! I replied to their "we put up new towers in SF" email announcement with, "it didn't work, now the service is worse. I now have 5 bars and drop a call where at least before the new towers, I had 2 bars and dropped a call and might think it was acceptable." --No response from AT&T.
  • Reply 109 of 359
    Quote:

This is is good news and a money saver for a lot of people. If you don't see the benefit of this, you're either part of the 2% of the affected heavy data user population...

Sorry for you heavy data users but there's only a few of you. You're one the main the reasons why AT&T is doing this.

AT&T finally realized they've been overcharging their customers...

If you read the information presented in other comments, the negatively affected percentage is 35%, and not 2%.

IOW, if you are together with a couple of friends, look left and right, because one of them is a "heavy data user".
  • Reply 110 of 359
    bait and switch.
  • Reply 111 of 359
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So now your story becomes that you speculated that AT&T would change data price structure in any way. Even though your implication is that they would raise the price. Your speculation said nothing about lowering the price.

I guarantee you this is directly because of LTE. They are lowering the costs of 3G so that more people get smart phones and data plans become the norm. This sets up for them to charge a premium for 4G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I know exactly what I meant and that was that via some means, the new iPhone would be less affordable than the current one. I didn't claim to have the ONE answer, just validity in speculating. You on the other hand did claim to have the one answer, and declared AT&T would change nothing before the arrival of LTE.

A point on which you were completely and totally wrong I should add.

So whether it was tiered data, more expensive unlimited data, or an add on fee for video chat, my point was that I wanted to wait and see what AT&T would do before the iPhone drops because based off the rising ETF fee, it is clear their direction was changing.

Some here are noting their current use. Others are catching on though and realizing, video chat, iAds, networked gaming, etc. it is all multiplying use and now that use is going to be more expensive.

• Reply 112 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Okay, actually I do get the point. AT&T is positioning itself to make a lot of money. What I don't get is why this is a good thing for consumers. \

Think of ATT as Apple. Folks routinely laud Apple's gross margins. They say it is good for Apple customers, for various reasons, like the continued ability to fund R&D.

So too increased profits at ATT are good for ATT customers. If one subscribes to the Apple way of thinking.
  • Reply 113 of 359
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

So the $20 per month for tethering pays for what exactly? Not the software on the iPhone... Not the software on the PC... Not the additional bandwidth... This is just another example of a carrier charging a ridiculous amount for something that should be included in the regular bandwidth costs.

It's a lot like how after I've gone through a two year contract with my subsidized phone, the monthly costs of the contract don't decrease. As much as I am loathe to see it, bring on the FCC and some congressional oversight. Consumers are getting raped AND they have limited choice.

Tethering should be free, there is no additional service provided. You could make an argument with an unlimited plan, but not for one with a hard cap.

Glad I'm in Canada. You guys should tell AT&T to shove it.
  • Reply 114 of 359
    Quote:

Cool! say, can you flip me that last doc you created on your Kindle?

Wait...what?? You didn't and you can't?

OK - well, never mind then.

I just made a cool flash video of my kids. Want me to flip that to your iPad?
  • Reply 115 of 359
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    what do you need tethering for if you have a smartphone?

and do you really need to be online so much?

people, get your heads out of your laptops and enjoy the outdoors a little. talk to someone face to face. lose some weight!!
  • Reply 116 of 359
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From a performance standpoint a wired connection is always better than wireless.

Absolutely not, in this case. USB limits performance to one device, that also has a USB port. Please see the infinite value in using WiFi tethering from an iPhone with a WiFi-only iPad....

Quote:

I'm not sure you understand how this works. AT&T is in this to Anne as much money as it can. Giving away a premium service for free does not accomplish that goal.

I'm not sure you understand how this works. For 3 straight years AT&T has only offered and required Unlimited data, for 20, then $30/mon. This was prohibitive to many potential customers. What AT&T wants is more subscribers, not more dollars per user. The $15 option is supposed to lure the person who wants an iPhone, but isn't a power user. It's a good idea, but I do not think it's aggressive enough. Maybe not 200 mb, but at least 50 or 100 mb should be FREE. Exceeding that amount would result in a charge, but this would be very useful for signing up more and more and more people of diverse mobile phone usage. Critical thinking skills, buddy.

Quote:

The US mobile phone market is nearly saturated. The carriers are loosing the ability to add subscribers as revenue growth. Data is the future of carrier revenue. They want to get as many of their subscribers on data plans as possible.

Yea, no kidding, see above.
  • Reply 117 of 359
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The name of this article should really be changed to:

AT&T nearly doubles the cost of 5 GB of data for users, from $30 per month to $55 per month

Exactly. These new plans won't work for heavy data users.

They also just gave their competition an excellent marketing advantage.
  • Reply 118 of 359
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

So the $20 per month for tethering pays for what exactly? Not the software on the iPhone... Not the software on the PC... Not the additional bandwidth... This is just another example of a carrier charging a ridiculous amount for something that should be included in the regular bandwidth costs.

My thoughts as well. It seems to me if you are going to have a data plan with caps then everything that uses data should be no extra charge, other than the data the services used out of your monthly allocation.

Tethering, texting, email, web browsing, etc., should all be free but the data they use would apply to your cap.

Hopefully, I can resist upgrading my iPhone when the 4G comes out. I will start shopping for Android phones on another carrier.

I love my iPhone. AT&T knows that others like me will pay their new fees to keep it. The only way to fight them is to prove them wrong. Android here I come.

-kpluck
  • Reply 119 of 359
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:

AT&T has replied on their Facebook page indicating that current customers may keep the $30/month unlimited plan even when they upgrade to a new iPhone:

"The good news for current customers who love their unlimited plan is this: they are not required to switch, even when it's time to upgrade to a new phone. So you are welcome to keep your unlimited plan "

SO THERE YOU GO! You can stop b!tching now.

FOR iPAD 3G USERS.. Sorry!

That will NEVER happen. They get too much enjoyment out of the constant whining for any reason at all apparently
  • Reply 120 of 359
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The name of this article should really be changed to:

AT&T nearly doubles the cost of 5 GB of data for users, from $30 per month to $55 per month

OR

ATT cuts the data plan price for the 98% of iPhone users 25 - 50%