Apple yanks widget apps, likely to add feature to iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

That would be the logical way to do it. To this date, I have yet to see Apple act logically about those sorts of issues. This is where having too much control to "craft an experience" starting making the company look like asshats in a much broader way.

You just have an axe to grind.

In Apple's eyes, they are acting logically at all times. From their point of view, if they are going to implement widgets system-wide, it makes sense to remove the other widget programs because they could confuse the user as to how to get at widgets, what they are and how they work. I'm not sure I disagree with them. Seems eminently logical to me.

I already have troubles with iPad apps where the designer has implemented something that is standard in other apps or to the OS, but they've chosen some different "creative" way that seems better to them. It usually isn't better for the end user.

A tap, or a double-tap should always produce the expected result. If there are going to be system wide widgets, then the small number of various implementations (all different from each other probably) should go.
  • Reply 22 of 176
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    removed
  • Reply 23 of 176
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justsomedude View Post

The new iPhone will not have true multitasking, sorry. It will fake it in a way to appear as if its multitasking, but it will take a big memory/processor hit as a trade off. Android is years ahead of the iPhone in this ability. And With Android beating the iPhone this year in sales in the US and in Taiwin, it is a matter of time before it comes out on top. And then we have the Google Chromium tablet about to come out, its been real Apple.

Quote:

Allow me to explain, first it will multitask with very few native iPhone apps, like mail, safari, chat. When it comes too third party apps the devs will have to write in to the app the ability to go into a sleep state and then it will be up to the OS to determine when tha app wakes again to do what it needs to do. This is in starc contrast lets say on the Android platform where the apps decide when to do what it wants to do in the background, much like OS X, or Linux, or Windows does. Also no matter how the app is written and no matter what the iPhone thinks the app wants to do, it will never be able to have a continuous open state in the background as other apps are running to lets say for example receiving real time tweeter feeds. Android is years ahead in this respect, and much more.

Quote:

Yes and froyo has native tethering for free.

I know you're just a troll, but for those that might actually *believe* this crap I have to mention that in fact the implementation of multi-tasking on iPhone OS 4 is almost identical to the multi-tasking on Android. The two systems work essentially the exact same way.

Your assertion that Android is "years ahead" in multi-tasking is classic trolling, and ill-informed. Almost none of the details you describe here actually work the way you describe them to work. You may sound like you know what you're talking about (except for the poor spelling), but you simply don't.

Also, iPhone has "native tethering for free" the same as Android, just not in the USA.
  • Reply 24 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You just have an axe to grind.

In Apple's eyes, they are acting logically at all times. From their point of view, if they are going to implement widgets system-wide, it makes sense to remove the other widget programs because they could confuse the user as to how to get at widgets, what they are and how they work. I'm not sure I disagree with them. Seems eminently logical to me.

I already have troubles with iPad apps where the designer has implemented something that is standard in other apps or to the OS, but they've chosen some different "creative" way that seems better to them. It usually isn't better for the end user.

A tap, or a double-tap should always produce the expected result. If there are going to be system wide widgets, then the small number of various implementations (all different from each other probably) should go.

I am sorry thats the oldest cop out excuse of them all, to say it will confuse users is saying people cant think. People need choice, not just what Jobs says for them to use. Jobs is really closing this Phone in terms of openness.

Android rules.
  • Reply 25 of 176
    I mean, come on, there must be a better way, Apple. These developers have spent time and money with the implicit agreement that you - although you are of course expected to act in your own best interest - you will still act like a good business partner. I guess not.
  • Reply 26 of 176
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It has tethering built into it. That does not at all mean the carrier will allow it to be free.

Quote:

Yes and froyo has native tethering for free.

• Reply 27 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know you're just a troll, but for those that might actually *believe* this crap I have to mention that in fact the implementation of multi-tasking on iPhone OS 4 is almost identical to the multi-tasking on Android. The two systems work essentially the exact same way.

Your assertion that Android is "years ahead" in multi-tasking is classic trolling, and ill-informed. Almost none of the details you describe here actually work the way you describe them to work. You may sound like you know what you're talking about (except for the poor spelling), but you simply don't.

Also, iPhone has "native tethering for free" the same as Android, just not in the USA.

No sir it is not the same. I urge you to look into it, maybe some youtube videos on the workings of the Android Multitasking process. There is a great video of a Dev that explains the process. if i find the link i will post. Not only is Android years ahead, the iPhone at its core kernel canot/does not do multitasking like Android does. Also the iPhone has tethering in Europe but its not native it is given by the carrier Deutsche Telekom for example in germany. Please dont lie.

Sorry if i come off as a troll but im just stating the facts, feel free to look up all that i have said. The truth hurts.

Android rules and is taking over, wait it already did.
  • Reply 28 of 176
    randel77randel77 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleisawesome View Post

Apple is out of control I mean, come on, there must be a better way, Apple. These developers have spent time and money with the implicit agreement that you - although you are of course expected to act in your own best interest - you will still act like a good business partner. I guess not.

Look out Jobs. They are becoming self aware.
  • Reply 29 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It has tethering built into it. That does not at all mean the carrier will allow it to be free.

It is free its a native part of Android OS, they cant stop it, unlike i guess ATT can. Well you dont hear T-mobile complaining do you, guess what im using it every day, and my bill is the same $75 unlimited, talk, text, and web.
  • Reply 30 of 176
    You are correct that their are key differences. But you do not accurately describe the difference.

Android does offer more freedom for apps to run in the background. The bad part about that is that poorly written apps are allowed to slow down the phones performance and drain the battery quicker.

Apple wants to avoid that problem by allowing the app to only do what it needs to do in the background instead of the full app unnecessarily using more resources than it needs and draining the batttery.

Google blames android battery woes on user practices and poorly designed apps

Quote:

Allow me to explain, first it will multitask with very few native iPhone apps, like mail, safari, chat. When it comes too third party apps the devs will have to write in to the app the ability to go into a sleep state and then it will be up to the OS to determine when tha app wakes again to do what it needs to do. This is in starc contrast lets say on the Android platform where the apps decide when to do what it wants to do in the background, much like OS X, or Linux, or Windows does. Also no matter how the app is written and no matter what the iPhone thinks the app wants to do, it will never be able to have a continuous open state in the background as other apps are running to lets say for example receiving real time tweeter feeds. Android is years ahead in this respect, and much more.

• Reply 31 of 176
    Also let me add that Android is only in ver 2.2, and iPhone is in ver 4 and still Android just beat it in terms of sales this first quarter of 2010 in the US and Taiwan. Can you imaging what will happen when Android hits ver 4. WOW.
  • Reply 32 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's done that since OS 1, thanks for this time wasting demonstration of your ignorance.

Quote:

Allow me to explain, first it will multitask with very few native iPhone apps, like mail, safari...

• Reply 33 of 176
    Android is an open source OS....remember that! It's free to be modified in any way the manufacturer chooses. No major carrier is going to allow free tethering.

People have been using free tethering with the iPhone too. You aren't talking about anything special.

Quote:

It is free its a native part of Android OS, they cant stop it, unlike i guess ATT can. Well you dont hear T-mobile complaining do you, guess what im using it every day, and my bill is the same $75 unlimited, talk, text, and web.

• Reply 34 of 176
    Quote:

That's a pretty classic line from Android supporters. iPhone OS 4 won't do multi-tasking in the same sense as a desktop OS but is trying to provide the benefits of multi-tasking in a more battery-efficient way. This includes putting apps into a suspended state and also allowing background processing in certain situations such as completing a task that takes a finite amount of time - finishing loading a web page, finishing loading mail/tweets - and also limited continuous background processing such as maintaining a VOIP connection.

There are things that this kind of multi-tasking won't do - the question is whether these things represent a serious limitation or whether the things that can't be done shouldn't really be done on a mobile device anyway - wanting to maintain a real time Twitter feed in the background is probably a good example. That question probably won't be clearer until the OS and applications to take advantage of it are actually released.
  • Reply 35 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are correct that their are key differences. But you do not accurately describe the difference.

Android does offer more freedom for apps to run in the background. The bad part about that is that poorly written apps are allowed to slow down the phones performance and drain the battery quicker.

Apple wants to avoid that problem by allowing the app to only do what it needs to do in the background instead of the full app unnecessarily using more resources than it needs and draining the batttery.

Google blames android battery woes on user practices and poorly designed apps

A bad app can even bring down my MBP, that article describes a few apps that drained more of the battery then they should have. That can be said about any OS on any platform. It says nothing about the key difference's on multitasking. It is the superior mobile OS.
  • Reply 36 of 176
    Quote:

Also let me add that Android is only in ver 2.2, and iPhone is in ver 4 and still Android just beat it in terms of sales this first quarter of 2010 in the US and Taiwan. Can you imaging what will happen when Android hits ver 4. WOW.

Actually I count Android 2.2 as at least the fifth major update.
  • Reply 37 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I thought we won WWII, so Australia is part of Europe and all our carriers are German...

...I see.

So what's the tethering settings under "Network".

How much is Google paying you for this?

Your astroturfing efforts are very low grade.

Quote:

Also the iPhone has tethering in Europe but its not native it is given by the carrier Deutsche Telekom for example in germany. Please dont lie.

• Reply 38 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitelyimprobable View Post

That's a pretty classic line from Android supporters. iPhone OS 4 won't do multi-tasking in the same sense as a desktop OS but is trying to provide the benefits of multi-tasking in a more battery-efficient way. This includes putting apps into a suspended state and also allowing background processing in certain situations such as completing a task that takes a finite amount of time - finishing loading a web page, finishing loading mail/tweets - and also limited continuous background processing such as maintaining a VOIP connection.

There are things that this kind of multi-tasking won't do - the question is whether these things represent a serious limitation or whether the things that can't be done shouldn't really be done on a mobile device anyway - wanting to maintain a real time Twitter feed in the background is probably a good example. That question probably won't be clearer until the OS and applications to take advantage of it are actually released.

Apps have been taking advantage of multitasking on the Androids since day one, and what do you know the battery life is the same on the androids as is on the iPhones. So i guess battery is not an issue. Oh and let me add with the recent addition of flash support in the browser for Android the battery life is amazingly the same. So i guess its really the OS that matters. This thing just keeps on getting better and better.
  • Reply 39 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitelyimprobable View Post

Actually I count Android 2.2 as at least the fifth major update.

It can be the 5th or the fifteenth, I am talking about the version build life of the OS, Android is half the life of iPhone and it is beating the pants off of it.
  • Reply 40 of 176
    What one app can slow down a MBP? Either you seriously need more memory or you don't understand what you are talking about.

Yes that article points out the problem with Androids implimentation of multitasking. Badly written apps have a negative effect on the phone. The iPhone won't allow apps to have this much control of the system. So badly written apps won't be allowed to do these things.

Quote:

A bad app can even bring down my MBP, that article describes a few apps that drained more of the battery then they should have. That can be said about any OS on any platform. It says nothing about the key difference's on multitasking. It is the superior mobile OS.