Apple yanks widget apps, likely to add feature to iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I thought we won WWII, so Australia is part of Europe and all our carriers are German...

...I see.

So what's the tethering settings under "Network".

How much is Google paying you for this?

Your astroturfing efforts are very low grade.

It is called "Tethering & portable Hotspot" under network

• Reply 42 of 176
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why is "Advanced Task Killer" the most popular application in the Android market?

Hey will I be able to sync the 5GB of iPhone Apps I own to an Android phone, like I'll be able to to a new iPhone when it comes out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justsomedude View Post

Apps have been taking advantage of multitasking on the Androids since day one, and what do you know the battery life is the same on the androids as is on the iPhones. So i guess battery is not an issue. Oh and let me add with the recent addition of flash support in the browser for Android the battery life is amazingly the same. So i guess its really the OS that matters. This thing just keeps on getting better and better.

• Reply 43 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What one app can slow down a MBP? Either you seriously need more memory or you don't understand what you are talking about.

Yes that article points out the problem with Androids implimentation of multitasking. Badly written apps have a negative effect on the phone. The iPhone won't allow apps to have this much control of the system. So badly written apps won't be allowed to do these things.

So are you telling me that my MBP with 4 gigs of ram cant suffer a kernel panic from a poorly written app? Come on lets not kid our selves. Ill admit its been 2 years since my last kenal panic but it does happen.
  • Reply 44 of 176
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    this thread has gone done the drain due to the troll. What's their obsession, or should I say compulsion, to have to come to apple forums to through their garbage?
  • Reply 45 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why is "Advanced Task Killer" the most popular application in the Android market?

Hey will I be able to sync the 5GB of iPhone Apps I own to an Android phone, like I'll be able to to a new iPhone when it comes out?

I can explain that it is because the number one adopter of Androids are split by Blackberryers and Windows Mobilers, and as you know they need task killers. it is simply not needed in Android.

I dont know about you but i can sync over the air, my 2.6 gigs of apps can be synced to my new Android phone over the air just be loging in to the new phone. Even if i loos my phone and get a new one all my stuff gets pulled from the cloud as i login to phone phone, apps , contacts, calender events ical events bookmarks, everything. Its an elegant system.
  • Reply 46 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

this thread has gone done the drain due to the troll. What's their obsession, or should I say compulsion, to have to come to apple forums to through their garbage?

I'm just exited about Android, and where i can i try to help spread the word that there is something better out there. Nothing personal against you or anyone hear.
  • Reply 47 of 176
    Quote:

Also let me add that Android is only in ver 2.2, and iPhone is in ver 4 and still Android just beat it in terms of sales this first quarter of 2010 in the US and Taiwan. Can you imaging what will happen when Android hits ver 4. WOW.

Android OS did not come about until the iPhone revolutionized the mobile industry. If they hadn't, Android would not exist. Heck, they even stole the whole unlock screen *slide the bar*.
  • Reply 48 of 176
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Allow me to explain, first it will multitask with very few native iPhone apps, like mail, safari, chat. When it comes too third party apps the devs will have to write in to the app the ability to go into a sleep state and then it will be up to the OS to determine when tha app wakes again to do what it needs to do. This is in starc contrast lets say on the Android platform where the apps decide when to do what it wants to do in the background, much like OS X, or Linux, or Windows does. Also no matter how the app is written and no matter what the iPhone thinks the app wants to do, it will never be able to have a continuous open state in the background as other apps are running to lets say for example receiving real time tweeter feeds. Android is years ahead in this respect, and much more.

If you are going to pretend to explain, at least do it properly. iPhone OS does not multitask in the sense that the app continues to run. When you leave the app, it enters a saved state, but app developers are allowed to make use of several APIs that will continue to run. Some of these include task finishing, voip, media playback, etc. So while the app is not running, the essential services still are and when you return to the app, it instantly comes out of its saved state. To the end user, the app was running the whole time, but it used the minimum needed system resources.

In iPhone OS, the app is responsible for calling the appropriate APIs so it is in control, not the OS. Completely the opposite of what you said. The only thing the OS would be responsible for is freeing up memory from saved apps if the iPhone runs low, and in this case, Android does the same thing. It's not that complicated of a system to understand, really.
  • Reply 49 of 176
    Quote:

I'm just exited about Android, and where i can i try to help spread the word that there is something better out there. Nothing personal against you or anyone hear.

Yay, an evangelical come to convert the barbarian hordes.
  • Reply 50 of 176
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Stick to the facts if you want to spread the word. Android is a really good OS, but it doesn't need you as its spokesman. Welcome to my ignore list, don't worry, you'll have plenty of company there.
  • Reply 51 of 176
    Quote:

Is Android a religion now? If I want an Android, I'll research it and buy one because I'm a big boy. I don't need you to cram your own OPINION down my throat in an APPLE tech site!
  • Reply 52 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

Android OS did not come about until the iPhone revolutionized the mobile industry. If they hadn't, Android would not exist. Heck, they even stole the whole unlock screen *slide the bar*.

Smart phones where around before the iPhone blackberry, win mobile. The slide bar looks similar yes, but the iphone is a slide swith, the Android is a slide button. also it was not mentioned in any law suites against Google so i dont think Apple cares. And while we are at it i can say that Iphone 4 will copy widgets just like the Android had from day one. So its a moot point.
  • Reply 53 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitelyimprobable View Post

Yay, an evangelical come to convert the barbarian hordes.

google has unleashed a tsunami of preachers... good luck to us and the moderators. We come here for some chit chat and to relax, but we are about to be flooded by zealots it seems.

Quote:

Most of just don't think android is any better, and it's extremely tiresome to shove it down our throats. I also despise google for a number of choices having to do with their privacy policy, their looting of advertising, their big brother attitude and demonization of apple, etc. etc.

I am sure if people are intrigued about android or find that apple doesn't cover their requirements there is an abundance of forums they can visit to hear about the glory of android. But do the decent thing, and spare us from all that here in these apple forums.
  • Reply 54 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If you are going to pretend to explain, at least do it properly. iPhone OS does not multitask in the sense that the app continues to run. When you leave the app, it enters a saved state, but app developers are allowed to make use of several APIs that will continue to run. Some of these include task finishing, voip, media playback, etc. So while the app is not running, the essential services still are and when you return to the app, it instantly comes out of its saved state. To the end user, the app was running the whole time, but it used the minimum needed system resources.

In iPhone OS, the app is responsible for calling the appropriate APIs so it is in control, not the OS. Completely the opposite of what you said. The only thing the OS would be responsible for is freeing up memory from saved apps if the iPhone runs low, and in this case, Android does the same thing. It's not that complicated of a system to understand, really.

Im sorry but the apps in Android can continue to ruyn in the background unlike the iPhone. lets not make up stuff here.
  • Reply 55 of 176
    Quote:

google has unleashed a tsunami of preachers... good luck to us and the moderators. We come here for some chit chat and to relax, but we are about to be flooded by zealots it seems.

Ha and this is just the beginning, it will be like Apple fanboys go on windows forums. Man payback is a bitch aint it.
  • Reply 56 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post

Is Android a religion now? If I want an Android, I'll research it and buy one because I'm a big boy. I don't need you to cram your own OPINION down my throat in an APPLE tech site!

And Android was born and it saw the world, and it said "Hello world" Ha.

Dont mean to cram, just speaking the truth.
  • Reply 57 of 176
    What apple fans go to windows forums? Are you deluded, 98% of the time the exact opposite happens.

Banning is also a bitch. Mods here use a gentle hand to moderate, but they are not too keen on trolling. You 've hijacked this thread, you are posting one post after the other...this is not polite behaviour.
  • Reply 58 of 176
    Quote:

Im sorry but the apps in Android can continue to ruyn in the background unlike the iPhone. lets not make up stuff here.

Have you actually read any documentation on the new APIs Apple is introducing for background processing? They describe pretty much what was just said.
  • Reply 59 of 176
    THIS IS TO ALL THE TROLLS:

We like our iPhones. We have already looked into the Android OS and were not interested. Heck, we may all still keep up with Android news because it's tech and it's interesting; but we like our iPhones. Android is open and has interesting features; but we like our iPhones. We have encountered dozens of trolls just like you who have come around Apple tech sites/forums/whatever and have tried to evangelize in the name of Android; but, we like our iPhones.

In conclusion, we like our iPhones. Eventhough you may not be excited about these new features to the iPhone OS/UI, WE ARE and we will continue to be. Apple may be late to the party, but history has shown that their implementation is better that their competitors. We are excited that everyday we get the chance to use an unbuggy operating system that has apps that don't manipulate the end user. Though Apple may be a closed system, it makes me feel safe everyday that noone is stealing my data.

Please leave the forums. You know why? Because, we like our iPhones
  • Reply 60 of 176
    Quote:

Most of just don't think android is any better, and it's extremely tiresome to shove it down our throats. I also despise google for a number of choices having to do with their privacy policy, their looting of advertising, their big brother attitude and demonization of apple, etc. etc.

I am sure if people are intrigued about android or find that apple doesn't cover their requirements there is an abundance of forums they can visit to hear about the glory of android. But do the decent thing, and spare us from all that here in these apple forums.

It is this reason why im hear because most of you dont think Android is any better, How else would you know that there is something better. Jobs wont tell you thats for sure, but anyway ill move on dont want to offend anyone, Just spreading some food for thought.