Apple readies iTunes 9.2 release alongside iOS 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly nearing the release of iTunes 9.2, with the developer beta now labeled a Golden Master seed.



The new iTunes 9.2 includes a variety of new features and improvements, many of which are related to supporting devices running the new iOS 4, which will ship June 21 as a free update for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch.



Developer report the release adds media sync support for the new iPhone 4, as well as support for syncing iBooks to other iPhone and iPod touch models running iOS 4 and the new iBooks 1.1 app.



iTunes 9.2 also expands iBook app sync support to include the organizing and syncing of PDF documents, which the new version of iBooks will add support for alongside ebooks.



App organization also adds support for the new Folders feature in iOS 4, and the new release also speeds up the backup process when syncing an iPhone or iPod touch upgraded to iOS 4. The release also adds general performance updates to make scrolling through lists of media significantly faster.

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I downloaded the beta version to update my 3Gs to 4.0. It is more responsive than before. Now as for this gold master candidate seed, well that's another story.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    I downloaded the beta version to update my 3Gs to 4.0. It is more responsive than before. Now as for this gold master candidate seed, well that's another story.



    I just installed iTunes 9.2 and am updating my 3GS to IOS 4.0 GM (8A293). Are you having issues?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    iTunes syncing on my XP SP3 (on an Intel P4 mind) is very very sluggish. Building my i7 930 on ASUS X58 LGA1366 with Windows 7 system next week and hopefully with iTunes 9.2 64-bit will make this frustrating task a history.



    Though still waiting for the Mini to get updated with the latest i5 or i3 processor before I could say the same for my ageing PowerBook and PowerMac G4 systems. Come on, eh!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Why is a GM or a Gold Master called Golden Master in the Aplpe world? Or is it just the clueless bloggers?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post


    Why is a GM or a Gold Master called Golden Master in the Aplpe world? Or is it just the clueless bloggers?



    I believe there was written "Golden Master candidate" on his slide...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post


    Why is a GM or a Gold Master called Golden Master in the Aplpe world? Or is it just the clueless bloggers?



    Gold master is a standard term, with its roots in the recording industry, it was the master from which all other records were duplicated.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    802.11N and still no wifi sync.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
    .....
  • Reply 9 of 24
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    How much faster is it scrolling through media? The better my music collection gets the less desirable it is to actually look for something to listen to as it's slow to scan through if artwork is involved.



    It doesn't matter whether it's grid or coverflow, either way is jut too slow and there needs to be a lot more pre-caching of artwork or some other approach to make it fly again.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,580member
    Well the 4.0 GM build seems to be really smooth now, beta 4 was still a little sluggish in places but the GM build is fine.



    One thing I haven't seen posted about the iOS 4 software is accelerated scrolling. If you are scrolling quickly down a very long web page or list the scrolling accelerates. I tried this in 3.1.3 and it doesnt do it but 4.0 does.



    iTunes 9.2 is cool, it finally lets you organise your apps into folders.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    neat.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Yay for faster syncing, but does not change the fact its still USB 2.0. 3.0 is long overdue now.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Well the 4.0 GM build seems to be really smooth now, beta 4 was still a little sluggish in places but the GM build is fine.



    One thing I haven't seen posted about the iOS 4 software is accelerated scrolling. If you are scrolling quickly down a very long web page or list the scrolling accelerates. I tried this in 3.1.3 and it doesnt do it but 4.0 does.



    iTunes 9.2 is cool, it finally lets you organise your apps into folders.



    I am finding iTunes fast as lightening and iOS 4 GM sluggish still on my 3GS. Mainly revolving around folders opening and closing.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post


    I just installed iTunes 9.2 and am updating my 3GS to IOS 4.0 GM (8A293). Are you having issues?



    I don't have any issues with iTunes itself, in fact it's much smoother for me. For example, when I launched a tv show, it would have the spinning beach ball for a few seconds before it played. Now it plays instantly. As for the golden master candidate issues, I just noticed that when I typing, it doesn't always display the word I am typing. The cursor moves as if the text is there, and when I space to the next word I am going to type, the word shows up fine. This only applies to words that are longer than a handful of characters, like the word remember.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post


    How much faster is it scrolling through media? The better my music collection gets the less desirable it is to actually look for something to listen to as it's slow to scan through if artwork is involved.



    It doesn't matter whether it's grid or coverflow, either way is jut too slow and there needs to be a lot more pre-caching of artwork or some other approach to make it fly again.



    It's much smoother for me and I don't get spinning beach balls like I used to. Granted I have a relatively small library (1,051 songs/music videos), but I am happy with the performance improvements.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Has anyone seek a technical explanation yet for how iBooks will sync your content, current page, notes, etc., across platforms?



    I could certainly see Apple expanding that to wireless syncing of changes to iTunes playlists across your computer, iPhone, iPad, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    I am finding iTunes fast as lightening and iOS 4 GM sluggish still on my 3GS. Mainly revolving around folders opening and closing.





    With previous betas I found that once it got to GM it was best to do a full restore and NOT to restore any backups. After this everything should work fine.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post


    Why is a GM or a Gold Master called Golden Master in the Aplpe world? Or is it just the clueless bloggers?



    It is historical -- I think it has more to do with referring to a build as "Golden" than as if it were a gold master for a record. I do know this the story is documented on the web since it has been discussed on AI before.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    It's much smoother for me and I don't get spinning beach balls like I used to. Granted I have a relatively small library (1,051 songs/music videos), but I am happy with the performance improvements.



    Does no one take their NDA's seriously? With all the stuff that has been talked about before it is public perhaps some are forgetting that having prerelease software is a privilege, for the use of testing, not for discussing with the general public no matter how many have mentioned it.



    As a stock holder I do not appreciate rumors about features or performance of prerelease products as the analysts play havoc enough with their goofy soothsaying.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    It is historical -- I think it has more to do with referring to a build as "Golden" than as if it were a gold master for a record. I do know this the story is documented on the web since it has been discussed on AI before.



    Apple's been using it since at least 1988.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    As a stock holder I do not appreciate rumors about features or performance of prerelease products as the analysts play havoc enough with their goofy soothsaying.



    As a stock holder I would argue it's not a big deal, especially after AI opens the floodgates with an article on this still beta software.
Sign In or Register to comment.