AdMob CEO says Apple's iOS terms are not in best interest of consumers

Comments

• Reply 141 of 188
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Wah! Wah! Wah! Somebody change my diaper!

If Apple, they did at ine time, had the users best interest in mind we would have seen apple tv with dvr, mid range mac pro with express and pci slots, non ecc ram, i7, but alas it's about the $$$$..

With a iMac you can not upgrade anything non FireWire. It's a shame as the iPhone took over, apple took a dump on the pro and prosumers especially.
  • Reply 142 of 188
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Hmm, no. They don't want any "non-independent" competitor to collection ad performance data, i.e. statistics on their OWN ad campaigns.

If the new wording actually bares the "non-independent" AdMob from the iOs, the FTC will certainly see it -being not stupid- as an obvious anti-competitive behavior.

Hm, seen from this angle it sounds reasonable. However I don't know the exact terms of the agreement, and I understand why Apple would want to limit the data available to AdMob, being a Google company now.
  • Reply 143 of 188
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Great! Does this mean Google is planning to give away all their proprietary advantages too? I bet lots of people would like to peak into the Google search algorithms, PageRank, etc. It would be really terrible for customers if Google kept it closed. Everyone knows that competitors are supposed to help each other. At minimum I'm sure we'll see Google open GMail, Google Search, Buzz, etc to third party ad services. Apple can integrate iAds directly into google.com -- it's going to be magical.

Well according to Ives, ( a really cool guy and really Mr Apple), everything is magical. Lol.
  • Reply 144 of 188
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

So do your job AdMob and compete!

That's sort of the point. Apple just changed the rules so they CAN'T compete effectively. AdMob is effectively shooting in the dark when it comes to serving ads now instead of being to target the proper individuals with appropriate ads. That greatly reduces the value of advertising with AdMob.

How many men on this forum would like to be served up ads for tampons? And how effective is it to see an ad for a restaurant chain that doesn't exist anywhere near where you live? Those are a couple examples of what not having the user data will lead to.

It's really no different than if a TV network sold advertising slots and randomly threw ads into them. Then you end up with Cover Girl ads during UFC Fighting. Geritol commercials during Gilmour Girls. How quickly would advertisers abandon that network for one that would let them choose when the ad was going to be played?

That is what Apple has reduced AdMob to.
  • Reply 145 of 188
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually I would have agreed with you except I know from using an android phone that if you wish to use the GPS or any locations dependent application you grant Google the right to collect personal information. This is new on the recent android update (1.5 to 2.1), I suspected they were doing it all along in the past due to the uncanny ability to provide information which was specific to my location. They now just tell you they plan to collect this if you enable GPS location feature on the Android phone.

You can not opt out or op in, if you wish to use the GPS feature in the phone with an application like maps you automatically allow google to collect information about you. Unlike the iphone you can use the GPS chip or the Cell network to determine your location without having to give your rights away to share personal information. What apple found was that ads placed in free apps were in fact sharing that information to ad companies and companies like google. So yes apple is blocking google form personal information, and only allowing the information to be shared with mobile analytical companies to do market analysis and the apps has to allow you to op in not op out, which is good for us.

Google has made it very clear they made Android as a means to collect mobile user information and to place ads in front of you as often as they can. Apple obviously does not want that to be an iphone experience. Google whole business model is on their ability to place ad which are user specific so they get to charge advertisers more for this service. Apple obviously is not going to make that much.

I said this before, people are too willing to give out personal information in exchange to get someone free or what they think is free. I do not know for sure, but I willing to bet that Verizon and the other service provides are getting a cut of the ads fee for any Android phone in their networks. In the meant time Google knows everywhere that phone has been and what you have done with it.

Sorry, I thought your implication was that AdMod was doing it (collecting info without consent) on the iPhone. There hasn't been any claim of this, that I know of..Jobs mentioned only Flurry. If that is the standard on Android, then all ad services are guilty, not just AdMob. But only AdMob is barred from the iPhone (from using device/user info).
  • Reply 146 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's sort of the point. Apple just changed the rules so they CAN'T compete effectively. AdMob is effectively shooting in the dark when it comes to serving ads now instead of being to target the proper individuals with appropriate ads. That greatly reduces the value of advertising with AdMob.

How many men on this forum would like to be served up ads for tampons? And how effective is it to see an ad for a restaurant chain that doesn't exist anywhere near where you live? Those are a couple examples of what not having the user data will lead to.

It's really no different than if a TV network sold advertising slots and randomly threw ads into them. Then you end up with Cover Girl ads during UFC Fighting. Geritol commercials during Gilmour Girls. How quickly would advertisers abandon that network for one that would let them choose when the ad was going to be played?

Correct. By definition, it is anti-competitive. Does that mean it is illegal? Probably not. It seems strange that so many people are so disingenuously trying to make this a privacy issue, when Apple's own statements show that it is not. Yes, things like user acknowledgement is for user privacy. Barring AdMob is obviously not.

Remember before all the iPod kids came into the Apple world? Apple fans then were all about demanding companies not erect artificial barriers to competition and that they compete on merit, because we knew Apple was better. It was for lesser companies to avoid doing better and instead try to find ways to beat their rivals without actually having to compete with them. At the same time, the MS fans would come in and say that whatever MS did was simply real competition. They would ask "is MS expected to help their competitors?" They had rationalizations for anything MS did, regardless of how unfair it seemed. I guess those MS fans were fickle. It seems like they bought an iPod and converted.
  • Reply 147 of 188
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Diddums. Why should Apple be obliged to give a competitor a free ride? I do believe that there is around 72% of the smartphone market still there for AdMob to work with, not to mention their "monopoly" of Google advertising. Perhaps Google should let Apple put iAds on their search pages?
  • Reply 148 of 188
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

That's sort of the point. Apple just changed the rules so they CAN'T compete effectively. ... That is what Apple has reduced AdMob to.

Let's stop pretending that there is this entity known as AdMob that is just an honest competitor. AdMob is Google. You know, the people who make the mobile surveillance OS known as Android? A direct competitor of Apple? Google, the ones who want to collect every scrap of user and usage data off every iPhone they can place an Ad on so they can essentially spy on a competitors user base and how they use their phones, in addition to their usual privacy invasion bullshit.

So, this is what Google has reduced AdMob to, just another arm of their spy network. And all Apple has done is say, "If you compete with us, we aren't going to let you spy on our users and devices so you can figure out how to out-compete us."
  • Reply 149 of 188
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    AAD MOB WHO ????

ads on apple products ???

no apple factories in the usa or europe ???

slave labor at foxcom

red china still kills its dissenting voices and we love apple so much yet apple sleeps with commie red

china

hmmmm

50 bn in the bank ??

i wish a green peace type voice would slap steve

now apple is so green .. !!!

maybe apple could spread the jobs around and

leave red china sweat shops behind

maybe

baby

i guess the ipad will have video chat soon

i guess the nano phone will also have it too

maybe a foxcomm worker could video call me and show us his wonderful work day

maybe not

peace
  • Reply 150 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Remember before all the iPod kids came into the Apple world? Apple fans then were all about demanding companies not erect artificial barriers to competition and that they compete on merit, because we knew Apple was better. It was for lesser companies to avoid doing better and instead try to find ways to beat their rivals without actually having to compete with them. At the same time, the MS fans would come in and say that whatever MS did was simply real competition. They would ask "is MS expected to help their competitors?" They had rationalizations for anything MS did, regardless of how unfair it seemed. I guess those MS fans were fickle. It seems like they bought an iPod and converted.

You know, you need to learn to look at issues not even below the surface, but not as a reflection in a bad mirror. There are just absolutely no parallels between the way Apple does business and the way Microsoft did. The only similarity is that they are both in tech and Apple is now "big". But your mirror must reflect in black and white, because they aren't even the same color.
  • Reply 151 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You know, you need to learn to look at issues not even below the surface, but not as a reflection in a bad mirror. There are just absolutely no parallels between the way Apple does business and the way Microsoft did. The only similarity is that they are both in tech and Apple is now "big". But your mirror must reflect in black and white, because they aren't even the same color.

Actually, there are huge parallels. Putting up barriers to competition instead of competing on merit was something MS was famous for.

"____ attempts to bar _____ from their platform to avoid competing with them" and "____ using their clout to pressure partners not to deal with ____" could be headlines from 1995. Instead we see them today. I didn't like it was MS was the one in the headlines, but that sort of behavior was expected of them. Apple was and is better than that.

Apple fans are better than that too. Nouveau Apple fans are not.
  • Reply 152 of 188
    Quote:

Actually, there are huge parallels.

No, there really aren't. It just looks that way in your fun house mirror.
  • Reply 153 of 188
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

Let's stop pretending that there is this entity known as AdMob that is just an honest competitor. AdMob is Google. You know, the people who make the mobile surveillance OS known as Android? A direct competitor of Apple? Google, the ones who want to collect every scrap of user and usage data off every iPhone they can place an Ad on so they can essentially spy on a competitors user base and how they use their phones, in addition to their usual privacy invasion bullshit.

So, this is what Google has reduced AdMob to, just another arm of their spy network. And all Apple has done is say, "If you compete with us, we aren't going to let you spy on our users and devices so you can figure out how to out-compete us."

Do you actually believe the delusionally paranoid nonsense you rant about? Mobile surveillance OS? Spy network? Thanks for the good laugh this early in the morning.

P.S., you might want to adjust the position your tin foil hat. According to the Google spy network (gSpy for short, still in beta of course), enough of your head is exposed for the Mind Control Beam to get to you.
  • Reply 154 of 188
    Quote:

No, there really aren't. It just looks that way in your fun house mirror.

I guess you are right. They have different names so there must be no similarities. That is the gist of your argument, right? Or is it back to 'nuh uh'.

You say there are no parallels. But that really simply shows a willingness to avoid reality.
  • Reply 155 of 188
    Quote:

Do you actually believe the delusionally paranoid nonsense you rant about? Mobile surveillance OS? Spy network? Thanks for the good laugh this early in the morning.

P.S., you might want to adjust the position your tin foil hat. According to the Google spy network (gSpy for short, still in beta of course), enough of your head is exposed for the Mind Control Beam to get to you.

Anonymouse has and shows a tainted/skewed/bitter/paranoid view. You have to learn to take his posts with a gigantic grain of salt. He is, however, a very intelligent person. But he has a huge chip on his shoulder and it seems to distort his perception.

If you use the following assumptions with his posts, you will better understand:

Apple is always in the right, Google is the earthly embodiment of evil and is actively out to get him.
  • Reply 156 of 188
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

If you use the following assumptions with his posts, you will better understand:

Apple is always in the right, Google is the earthly embodiment of evil and is actively out to get him.

And with Tulkas, you might want to use the following assumptions with his posts:

Google is always in the right, Apple is the earthly embodiment of evil and is actively out to get him.

• Reply 157 of 188
    Quote:

Do I believe Google is a thoroughly unscrupulous company that is a threat to privacy? Yes. Am I a bit hyperbolic in my descriptions of them? Yes. Are you completely naive if you don't think they represent a problem? Absolutely
  • Reply 158 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And with Tulkas, you might want to use the following assumptions with his posts:

Google is always in the right, Apple is the earthly embodiment of evil and is actively out to get him.

Not at all. Apple does some great things. But I don't my being a fan blind me to the fact that they are capable of behaving the same as any other company, in some cases. Actually, my being a fan leads me to expect better of them. If I thought they were out to get me, I wouldn't have been purchasing and using their products for 3 decades and I wouldn't have actively 'evangelized' their products to many friends and family that ended up 'converting'.

Being an Apple fan doesn't mean having to be dumb. It doesn't mean having to rationalize anything they do that I might disagree with. That is much closer to a cultist's behavior.

As for google, I have no great love from them. They are just another company. If Apple were to crush them, by competing with them, I would love that, just as I loved to see how a resurgent Apple is beating or gaining ground against MS wherever they complete.

Anonymous is very open and honest about his resentment and hostility towards Google. Nothing wrong with that. But it does mean one should be aware that his views of them and circumstances around them will be tainted by those feelings.

Sorry John boy, wrong again.
  • Reply 159 of 188
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Ahem. From Section 3.3.9 of Apple?s developer agreement:

I spoke too broadly. Every iAd has the capability to "invade" your privacy, using the OP's criteria.

I understand that given the permission-based system, the "invasion" is voluntary. But with AdMob supported apps, there is no chance of privacy invasion.
  • Reply 160 of 188
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Sorry John boy, wrong again.

See how you almost behaved like a mature individual, right up until the end of your post?

Same old Tulkas...