Apple's iPhone 4 "Retina" display claims spark controversy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Well, seeing how I've had vitrectomies in both eyes and have had both retinas lasered to death, I figure that the new iPhone 4 will match my retina's resolution just fine.

Since most guys can't even recall the color of their partners eyes, how the hell can they argue about resolution phone! Get a Life
  • Reply 42 of 178
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Well, since this silliness is brought up. I need my glasses anyway to see just about anything on my iPhone well. I grabbed my iPhone and measured the distance from my eye area to the device. What do you know 18 inches...

Not bothered...
  • Reply 43 of 178
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    glad to see everyone commenting on what kind of nonsensical fluff this is.
  • Reply 44 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

But not so fast, says Phil Plait from Discover, whose résumé includes calibrating a camera on board the Hubble space telescope. He's done the math too and finds that the 477 number applies only to people with perfect vision. For the vast majority of us, Steve's claim stands up to scrutiny; even folks with 20/20 eyesight wouldn't be able to tell where one pixel ends and another begins. So it turns out Apple can do its math, even if its marketing isn't true for every single humanoid on the planet.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/i...th-microscope/

Hmmm.... did you actually read the AI article, or jump in to post after just skimming the headline?

Hint: Para 5.
  • Reply 45 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewmmc View Post

Samsung say their display consumes 30% less than the retina display, but also that while there is only 5% or so difference in the perceptible quality, raising their display to the same level would increase it's power consumption 30%. Hence they are verifying Apple's claims. Both display technologies consume the same power at the same resolution, but Samsung's is a lower resolution and that's the only reason it consumes less power.

Yet, the battery life on the iPhone 4 is vastly superior (or, so Jobs says). I'll bet it was a well-thought out trade-off on Apple's part: how much incremental battery life versus how much incremental screen quality.
  • Reply 46 of 178
    These Eye Doctors must be very bored.
  • Reply 47 of 178
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Wow, a lot of you guys either have really long arms or need reading glasses. When I comfortable hold my iPhone it's about 11" (I just measured). 18" is almost at arms length.
  • Reply 48 of 178
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No, I don't think his comment is anymore accurate than Soniera's

Well, having owned an HTC Desire for a week (I took it back partly due to the poor display outdoors) it is abysmal in any amount of daylight (especially when there's sun). The iPhone display kills it, especially when it comes to ACCURATE colour reproduction.
  • Reply 49 of 178
    tankgajtankgaj Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wow, a lot of you guys either have really long arms or need reading glasses. When I comfortable hold my iPhone it's about 11" (I just measured). 18" is almost at arms length.

You must be a little person. It's 18" for me too.
  • Reply 50 of 178
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

?For the vast majority of us, Steve's claim stands up to scrutiny; even folks with 20/20 eyesight wouldn't be able to tell where one pixel ends and another begins?

My vision is much worse than average. My reaction to the 'retina display' was that: if this much progress has been made for the iPhone 4, then I'm looking forward to the day when the iPad will have an equivalent quality display. Yes, I know, the iPad screen is larger, and that poses a technical challenge to LCD manufacturers. Everyone will benefit to some extent if this accomplishment occurs.
  • Reply 51 of 178
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankgaj View Post

Not really. I'm 5'10" with 20/25 vision. I just measured it 3 more times. I fluctuate between 11" and 13".
  • Reply 52 of 178
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

It's not about whether the display lives up to expectations, it's about whether it matches the claims. When Apple ventures into this quasi-scientific data realm, they're setting themselves up for trouble.

This is precisely what scientists do, and frankly, calling it a kick-ass display would have clicked with me much more than all this nonsense about the retina.

Who do you think is creating this technology for Apple and providing these specs?? Bloggers?? This was made by scientists and technological engineers. It's also being disputed by a scientist, but one who happens to work for the competition, NOT an impartial one. His analysis is worthless.
  • Reply 53 of 178
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    These days everyone and their cousin is given a nice premium to write some garbage on apple, that's rebutted in minutes once it's out. The glass hardness test (where supposed materials engineers can't understand the difference between basic concepts such as hardness and strength), the display issue where supposed display experts can't factor in the average persons eyesight and refer to some user with bionic eyes.

Utter claptrap, everyone wants a piece of the apple pie, pun intended. A shame really that apple doesn't leave much space for them to take pot shots at them.

And a staggering amount of guests here reading this, 478 people, an unprecedented amount of people in my recent memory, possibly more than product launches.

I am sure a lot of them are expecting to read something negative they can take home to their companies, or blogs, or whatever. Much schadenfreude that they can't actually do that.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

These days everyone and their cousin is given a nice premium to write some garbage on apple, that's rebutted in minutes once it's out. The glass hardness test (where supposed materials engineers can't understand the difference between basic concepts such as hardness and strength), the display issue where supposed display experts can't factor in the average persons eyesight and refer to some user with bionic eyes.

Utter claptrap, everyone wants a piece of the apple pie, pun intended. A shame really that apple doesn't leave much space for them to take pot shots at them.

And a staggering amount of guests here reading this, 478 people, an unprecedented amount of people in my recent memory, possibly more than product launches.

I am sure a lot of them are expecting to read something negative they can take home to their companies, or blogs, or whatever. Much schadenfreude that they can't actually do that.

well said
  • Reply 55 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankgaj View Post

I'm not that person, but I'm 6'5" with 20/20 corrected vision (retested three months ago), and I find myself holding my phone at about 12". 18" is 75% of full arm's length of the average person (appx 24"), that seems excessive to me.
  • Reply 56 of 178
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The bottom line is that Apple used a bit of marketing double-speak

Anybody who believes a word that Jobs says without independent corroboration has not learned from history.
  • Reply 57 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No, I don't think his comment is anymore accurate than Soniera's

http://188.65.36.75/2010/05/21/samsu...ds-on-preview/

So we're supposed to take a review seriously that claims that Samsung's phone is 'as bright as the sun'?
  • Reply 58 of 178
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

who the heck holds their phone just 12" from their eye. 18-20 more likey, so IT IS A RETINA DISPLAY

You're just being facetious, right?

Thompson
  • Reply 59 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

who the heck holds their phone just 12" from their eye. 18-20 more likey, so IT IS A RETINA DISPLAY

Steve then, is full of it.

?It turns out there?s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels,? Jobs said.

His claim is 10 to 12 inches. According to you, he is nowhere near being accurate.
  • Reply 60 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Also take a ruler and put the end between your eyes.. then hold your phone at the 12 inch mark.. ya does ANYONE actually use it this close to their face?? (apart from people who won't admit they need glasses)

Steve thinks that people hold it at 10 inches.

?It turns out there?s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels,? Jobs said.