Apple's iPhone 4 "Retina" display claims spark controversy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 178
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I agree with Prof. Peadbody. The bottom line is that it's going to be significantly better than basically anything else out there, and a huge improvement over the 3G/3GS/Original iPhone.

Had Steve simply said that, there would be no controversy.
  • Reply 62 of 178
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Yeah, actually that's exactly where I view my phone from and no, I don't need glasses. I'd rather not extend my arm fully and try to use my phone from 20" away. That's uncomfortable and weird. I placed my phone a comfortable distance away from my face and guess what? That was about 13".

I measured my comfortable viewing distant with my 1st gen iPhone to be ~15 inches from phone to eye, but I got "old guy eyes" so YMMV. Can't wait to the see the new screen.

• Reply 63 of 178
    The competition is heating up.

I wonder how advanced Apple's new process, in order to make this display, is. Curious to know how much investment and time would be required in order for the competition to replicate or improve on it.

Any experts out there have a clue on this?
  • Reply 64 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msheredy View Post

Wow all these geek asses arguing over the nuances the human eye can see and what it can't see.

Naw. The argument is about Steve's (seemingly made-up) claims. He's the one who broached the subject with his comments.
  • Reply 65 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wow, a lot of you guys either have really long arms or need reading glasses. When I comfortable hold my iPhone it's about 11" (I just measured). 18" is almost at arms length.

Or you are 4'-11" and the others are 6'-1". Does it really matter? The phone is going to sell like crazy and it's gonna be awesome.
  • Reply 66 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

It's what happens to the image after it leaves the retina that matters.

For me, it goes straight to my groin, if it approves, then the brain gets to see it.

Made me chuckle
  • Reply 67 of 178
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Anybody who believes a word that Jobs says without independent corroboration has not learned from history.

That you don't like Steve Jobs much is obvious from your posts. That's fine.

It's getting a bit tiresome, though.
  • Reply 68 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

who the heck holds their phone just 12" from their eye. 18-20 more likey, so IT IS A RETINA DISPLAY

The only people that hold their iPhones at 18" or more are people over 40 who have left their glasses at home. Not that it makes a bind bit of difference.
  • Reply 69 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

But again, who holds their phone 12" from their face. I don't think many do.

Steve disputes your viewpoint:

?It turns out there?s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels,? Jobs said.

He thinks that 10 to 12 inches is the appropriate distance. If not, he wouldn't claim that the display exceeds the limits of human sight.

Or would he?
  • Reply 70 of 178
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:

Steve then, is full of it.

Quote:

Steve thinks that people hold it at 10 inches

Quote:

Quote:

The argument is about Steve's (seemingly made-up) claims.

See what I mean? Get a life, Ballmer!
  • Reply 71 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I agree.

It's also sad to see a doctor stake his supposedly scientific (unless he's a chiropractor) claim on the distance someone holds a phone away from their face when being used.

He was giving Steve the benefit of the doubt. Steve claimed 10 to 12 inches. He chose the lesser exaggeration to refute.

?It turns out there?s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels,? Jobs said.
  • Reply 72 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Since most guys can't even recall the color of their partners eyes, how the hell can they argue about resolution phone!

I love this forum. Please post more comments, Paul.

How indeed can they argue about resolution phone!
  • Reply 73 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

“It turns out there’s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels,” Jobs said.(my bold)

So more or less 95% of people would have a hard time seeing any pixels at approximately 12 inches. Its an amazing display. How scientific do you need to get? I can see why competitors would argue but who really cares? If anything the arguments are going to get everyone who bothers to listen to want to check it out for themselves. Apple wins.
  • Reply 74 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wow, a lot of you guys either have really long arms or need reading glasses. When I comfortable hold my iPhone it's about 11" (I just measured). 18" is almost at arms length.

Steve said 10 to 12 inches. These folks say he is just plain wrong.
  • Reply 75 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That you don't like Steve Jobs much is obvious from your posts. That's fine.

It's getting a bit tiresome, though.

Please stop reading my posts.
  • Reply 76 of 178
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Anybody who believes a word that Jobs says without independent corroboration has not learned from history.

(Edited for comment accuracy)

Anybody who believes a thing that Stevie says without laughing their head off has not learned from any or all of his posts.

personal attack removed - Mr. H
  • Reply 77 of 178
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Isn't this always what happens when you get a bunch of guys in the same room, they start arguing which has the bigger ****, the better ****, or the faster ****.

Just another pissing contest, as they say...
  • Reply 78 of 178
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Another question:

Has Apple an exclusive right to implement those screens? Otherwise there will be similar (LG) Android phones soon.
  • Reply 79 of 178
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    The Virgin Assphincter Security System is not going to go over too well.
  • Reply 80 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Apple always has to name their version of whatever technology, just like in Magic Mouse.

He should have just said it is a beautiful thing to behold and we call it 'Retina' and left it at that. They never said their mouse actually performed any magic. But he had to open up a can of worms with his sudo-scientific explanation. Some people, like Steve, are nearsighted and hold it close to their eyes and others are farsighted, like me, and I hold it as far away as I can. Everybody is different. I'm sure the screen will impress nearly everyone once they get their hands on one.