Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

Comments

• Reply 81 of 176
    600,000 iPhone 4s in 82,800 seconds (23-hour day because sale started at 1am pacific). That's 7.25 iPhone 4s sold PER SECOND.

More fun on June 24 when 600,000 people try to activate their iPhone 4 on the same day!

By the way, somebody needs to send that news story to Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer. You know, the Microsoft CEO that, in May of 2007, said that here was no chance that the iPhone would get any significant market share!

Mark
  • Reply 82 of 176
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

horrible argument. you can go many times into a house you are keen on buying and see it for as long as you want (or as long as the Realtor allows). You also do research on the community, schools, public transport, restaurants, bars, etc. This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

and the neighborhood and all that is the GSM, ATT, Apple, the banking system, the data coming in from the internet, call volume, geography where you are located, weather patterns, etc. it has all been around for you to research, but the house, like the phone, that you buy will be chosen largely based on assumptions you make, in addition to some facts. You don't know exactly when the water heater will fail, or when the dishwasher will leak, or if the termites will move in, or when the tree will fall in a storm, but you assume, based on imperfect knowledge when that will or won't be. Handling the phone rounds out your assumption process, as does user feedback, but your experience will ultimately be unique, proximal, but unique. Rationality is irrationality tempered by faith in your assumptions.

Quote:

Working in a job has nothing to do with paying for a product.

This is true if you place no value on your time and the expectation of effective compensation for it.
  • Reply 83 of 176
    Quote:

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.

I can understand why you might be cautious if you had never purchased an iPhone before, but Apple has such a relentless commitment to quality that I personally don't believe a "wait and see" attitude is necessary. I would never buy a first-generation car, but I have pretty much no such concern when buying an iPhone.

I've purchased every new model iPhone within days of it being released (if not the same day) and I've never had any significant issues. I can't remember the specifics, but I do recall a small software bug that affected me for a whopping couple of days before Apple patched it. Frankly, it was so small that I don't even remember what it was, only that it magically fixed itself before it even became an annoyance. If there ever was a hardware issue I'd simply get it replaced under warranty.

The only reason I held off on the iPhone G4 purchase is that I didn't want to sit there all day trying to get an order into an overloaded system. I'm patient, I can wait and be a productive employee in the mean time. ;-)

On a related note, I've used many of the recent iPhone wannabees out there and have no doubt whatsoever that the iPhone G4 is the device I want. The competing devices are...no competition at all.
  • Reply 84 of 176
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

let's start a rumor that the white iphone will have the option of 64gbs and trying to fit that extra memory is why it is not initially available.

that might allow you to experience some lauch day frenzy as well.

Please. By all means!

That will ensure that I will be able to pick up a black 32g at my leisure.
  • Reply 85 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Don't forget in the UK too. Now, if they can do it in the US that would be impressive and revolutionary. What a nice marketing point.

It's so odd that it's not unlocked in the US since it's still locked to AT&T in the US. It can't be used on Verizon or Sprint and I doubt many would by it at full price or cancel their AT&T account just to use it on EDGE on T-Mobile. If anyone didn't have to worry about an unlocked iPhone it's AT&T.
  • Reply 86 of 176
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

horrible argument. you can go many times into a house you are keen on buying and see it for as long as you want (or as long as the Realtor allows). You also do research on the community, schools, public transport, restaurants, bars, etc. This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

Working in a job has nothing to do with paying for a product.

Where are you getting this $2,200 from? Home many phones are you buying? Like everyone else has clearly stated, you have a 14 day return policy with Apple and 30 days with AT&T (unless you're an existing customer). I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 yesterday and there was absolutely nothing impulsive about it. If, by some bizarre chance, the iPhone 4 ends up sucking wind (which I'm sure it won't), I'll just return it and buy a 3GS to replace my existing 3G. Done and done. So easy a caveman could do it.
  • Reply 87 of 176
    daemonkdaemonk Posts: 49member
    Don't feed the troll.
  • Reply 88 of 176
    Quote:

Doesn't this just show how easily led consumers are in this country? Has anyone even touched one of these things before pre-ordering it blindly? Giving AT&T upwards of $2200 in total for a 2 year contract without touching the thing let alone seeing the bugs that arise, etc with the hardware and software update is insane.

How is that any more insane than, say, buying AAPL. You do some basic research, investigate, evaluate and make a decision from a position of knowledge, with the odds in your favor.

How many phones has Apple released prior to iPhone 4? Three!

How many of these have have been a resounding success? Three! (We have 3 2G, 1 3G, and 1 3GS)

Have I done my homework on Apple, the iPhone 4, the competition, other opinions? Yes!

What are the odds that we will be satisfied with the iPhone 4G? damn close to 100%

My (June 24) pre-order was accepted 04:49 PDT, yesterday.

This AM I ordered 4 more-- they ship July 2 for Delivery july 5-6.

I am quite satisfied with my investment!

• Reply 89 of 176
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.

Where the heck do you come up with $2,220? And if you're smoking something, please don't Bogart it.... pass it around!

My math works somewhat differently.

$299 + $18 = $317

Less payment for selling primo 3Gs - $299.

Total out-of-pocket for upgrading to iPhone 4 32G = $18
  • Reply 89 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Giving you the benefit of the doubt before rubber stamping you a troll...

1) Show us any evidence that anyone had to pay $2200 to pre-order an iPhone 4.

2) Tell us how the 30-day risk-free period of the iPhone 4 is not "trying it out first hand".

1) What's $90 a month x 24 months? Plus $199? Grab a calculator!

2) http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urn-policy.jsp

It's not exactly free (You have to pay a 10% restocking fee).

So is everyone who doesn't tow the Apple brand blindly a troll? I am a stock owner in Apple...
  • Reply 91 of 176
    dkludklu Posts: 1member
    Order?

Yesterday @ 7 am I got all the way thru the order process to submit order. I hit the submit order button and it sat and spun for a minute and then I got an error message.

This morning I got a CSS for I-phone e-mail from ATT. So I checked order status and I have an order number but the status says - in process - no ship date -1 ordered ? 0 shipped ? 0- backordered.

Is this an order?
  • Reply 92 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Where are you getting this $2,200 from? Home many phones are you buying? Like everyone else has clearly stated, you have a 14 day return policy with Apple and 30 days with AT&T (unless you're an existing customer). I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 yesterday and there was absolutely nothing impulsive about it. If, by some bizarre chance, the iPhone 4 ends up sucking wind (which I'm sure it won't), I'll just return it and buy a 3GS to replace my existing 3G. Done and done. So easy a caveman could do it.

Note that it's 14 days for all Apple products, expect the iPhone which is 30 days regardless where you bought it.
  • Reply 93 of 176
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Wonder how many weren't able to be sold due to server congestion?

Could Apple have announced iPhone preorders top One Million?!
  • Reply 94 of 176
    Quote:

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.

I got 3 letters for you - Q V C

• Reply 95 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daemonk View Post

Don't feed the troll.

Yep, he's trolling alright.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How is that any more insane than, say, buying AAPL. You do some basic research, investigate, evaluate and make a decision from a position of knowledge, with the odds in your favor.

LOL

He then contradicks his position again even after you make the astute AAPL comment.

Quote:

[...]

So is everyone who doesn't tow the Apple brand blindly a troll? I am a stock owner in Apple...

WTF!
  • Reply 96 of 176
    First of all, I think June is just my lucky month!

My birthday was June 11th

I was able to get in the apple system and pre-order my iPhone 4 on June 15th

and today I have officially become a US Citizen!

Amazing month! Can't wait to get my hands on this phone on the 24th of June!

Christian
  • Reply 97 of 176
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Doesn't seem like a lot for 5 countries. Maybe July pre-orders will be better.

600,000 preorders over the span of 2 weeks or 1 month would not be impressive.

But this was 600,000 preorders in less than one day. A day marked with tremendous technical difficulty.

To put this number in perspective. Motorola sold 250,000 droids in the first week of launch. Sprint sold 150,000 Evos in the first weekend of launch.

Apple yesterday sold 600,000 preorders in less than one day .... that's impressive.
  • Reply 98 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Wonder how many weren't able to be sold due to server congestion?

Could Apple have announced iPhone preorders top One Million?!

That's the rub, they were all sold. If there were no server congestions it would simply have been a shut out before most people got out of bed that day to check.

So in a way, there are plenty of people complaining about the issues that wouldn't have been able to pre-order at all. Personally, I was ready when they opened the stores so I'll bitch all I want.
  • Reply 99 of 176
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

600K orders is a small fraction of the total that "could be" if people could actually order. It took me 16 hours of trying (off and on all day) to successfully buy two phones, a bumper and a dock. Imagine the actual sales numbers if people could get in and actually buy things.

Sheldon

I really can't stand folks who complain about the site crashing because of the volume of orders. There isn't a company on the planet that could handle that many orders at once. You couldn't get through because there were literally tens of thousands of people trying to access the website at the same time. Show me one website that could handle that.

I tried once and would have gotten through, but had a past due bill to pay. I paid it. Then this morning I ordered a 16GB black iPhone 4. Yes, I'll wait until July 2nd for it to ship. But I won't be screaming at the screen in frustration for 16 hours, or moving into my local mall with a sleeping bag and a coffee maker for three days before. It gets here when it gets here,,shipped right to my door. I'll live with my 3G until then, while the rest of you crazies cry tears of blood about Apple's website and long lines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Yeah, from what I saw if you ordered through Apple's site the $18 upgrade fee was waived. But it seems that if you ordered through AT&T you were charged the $18 upgrade fee.

Never thought of that. I didn't pay one, come to think of it. Went through Apple. One thing that concerned me was that it listed my plan as this:

--unlimited data

--Voice (no changes)

--No text plan

The site also said changes could not be made to my Family plan through the website itself. Right now, I have all of the above, EXCEPT I do have unlimited messaging. I'm assuming that won't get messed up since I didn't make changes, but who knows. Once I get the phone I may opt for 2GB plan at $25/month. I really don't use close to that. Then again, I may start to with the new phone's capabilities, so perhaps I'll keep the unlimited data.
  • Reply 100 of 176
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:

1) What's $90 a month x 24 months? Plus $199? Grab a calculator!

2) http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urn-policy.jsp

It's not exactly free (You have to pay a 10% restocking fee).

I'm a stock owner of Apple too. I'm also a lawyer, a doctor, a rock star, and a yogi master. Thus, I can say any ignorant thing about all those subjects and pretend I'm not a troll.

If I could have, I'd have pre-ordered the phone. Maybe that would be foolish; after all, as I'm sure you'd agree, it's not like we know anything about the phone, the quality of Apple products, or even Apple itself. It's a blind gamble based on no research or previous experience with previous iPhones whatsoever!

I also don't have an issue with you mentioning the cost of the phone bill, because as we know, the iPhone is the only phone that actually have a phone bill. Even if it wasn't, does anybody really use a phone or the Internet anymore? What are we in? The Victorian era?

By the way, I was being sarcastic.