Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    he he he Drug charges eh....... Do not mess with Apple!!!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 87
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,882member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

So not only are we a police state, we're a corporate owned police state.

Read a little before you open your mouth, will you? Snarky only works if it's based on truth.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

Well, you're not considering the fact that steve jobs could be behind this. That is how smooth he operates. Have you forgotten Gizmodo, and the Asian suicides?
  • Reply 24 of 87
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I can't wait until he argues in court that he can't be busted because he's a journalist.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I can't wait until he argues in court that he can't be busted because he's a journalist.

You're too late -- even weirder theories are already being offered right here.

Remember, even hacking, anti-Semitic druggie religious fanatics need love too.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    All this and still a Virgin.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Does the name Kevin Mitnick ring a bell??

I'd imagine the FBI is going to throw the book at this guy - if only cause they can't charge him with hacking.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for throwing the book at psychotic, racial cleansing, freak-tards.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Quote:

Of course.. because its completely unbelievable that someone already involved in criminal activities would be involved in other criminal activities..
  • Reply 29 of 87
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Well, I guess this means he will have to forget his role in the next Die Hard movie,

"Died Hard: The Ressurection".
  • Reply 30 of 87
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

"This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs!"

'nuff Said!
  • Reply 31 of 87
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Surprisingly, no, not much. A lot of these so-called security professionals are "reformed" hackers. A pretty weird bunch, though I don't suppose most of them are nearly as bizarre as this individual.

I think it is a real shame that someone with his apparent technical skills is so far off the mark in other parts of his life. It would have been great for him to have used his talents to a better, more constructive purpose. I suppose the acid & X (LSD and MDMA both have hallucinogenic effects, although opposite ends of the spectrum) indicate a desire to escape. The other controlled substances also probably had a lot to do with him not focusing on doing good. Not that everyone that has used or uses drugs will go down this path but it does appear to be a lifestyle for this bozo - not experimental or recreational use.

Do not get me wrong - I think they need to string the guy up by his 'nads - if he has any.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Well, I guess this means he will have to forget his role in the next Die Hard movie,

"Died Hard: The Ressurection".

You mean "Die Hard: The Intervention"
  • Reply 33 of 87
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Isn't it deliciously ironic that this guy is Gizmodo's poster child for beleaguered, security expert caught in the crosshairs of corporate greed and law enforcement while fighting the good fight?
  • Reply 34 of 87
    This guy left no asshole stone unturned. At least he's thorough. \
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Does the name Kevin Mitnick ring a bell??

One of the examples I was going to mention. At least Mitnick wasn't a complete nutter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think it is a real shame that someone with his apparent technical skills is so far off the mark in other parts of his life. It would have been great for him to have used his talents to a better, more constructive purpose. I suppose the acid & X (LSD and MDMA both have hallucinogenic effects, although opposite ends of the spectrum) indicate a desire to escape. The other controlled substances also probably had a lot to do with him not focusing on doing good. Not that everyone that has used or uses drugs will go down this path but it does appear to be a lifestyle for this bozo - not experimental or recreational use.

Do not get me wrong - I think they need to string the guy up by his 'nads - if he has any.

Seems like a case of the avenging angel syndrome. Of course we're overlooking the very real possibility that he was set up, that the drugs were planted in his home, and he never posted those hateful podcasts.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying ?The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust? and ?You killed my Lord. You will pay.?

You never know.

Judging by the referenced article, this is the Vancouver is in Washington State (across the bridge from Portland, OR) and not the Vancouver in BC, Canada. Perhaps, the editor should make a correction here.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You mean "Die Hard: The Intervention"

i was allowing for a pun on his religious ranting, so lets compromise

Died Hard: The Inquisition
  • Reply 38 of 87
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
  • Reply 39 of 87
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

WTF are you talking about, would it be better if they busted him for drugs and found out he was a baby killer, as long as that baby didn't belong to anyone rich or famous(?)

You miss the point. They just happened to go after him for possession and he just happened to be involved in the other event, so the point was the drugs were a front and they masked their true intentions with it. If he didn't hack, he'd be high right now, and if he didn't get high, they would have used another reason to arrest him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying “The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust” and “You killed my Lord. You will pay.”

You never know.

The articles I read (and admittedly not thoroughly) said the reason for arresting him was for possession of drugs, not for the hacking incident.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually as I understand it, they served a warrant to take his computers as part of an investigation into the ATT trick and what other hacking he's been up to, since it's going across state lines, affecting hundreds of thousands etc. According to at least one version of the story, he sold the email addresses he had gathered to the media (although he claims to have not kept a copy), so that probably didn't sit well either.

And when serving it the drugs were in plain site, which means that the Feds can seize them and act on them. Even if the warrant says nothing about drugs.

So even if they can't make the hacking or some kind of cyber terrorism stick, they have felony drug possession they can stick on him

Finally someone explains it instead of biting my head off. I hate reading about things like this right away because facts always get mixed up. So they in fact were at his house for the sole purpose of this hacking crime, and not for the drugs? That changes my perspective entirely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Read a little before you open your mouth, will you? Snarky only works if it's based on truth.

Read a little? I've read about 3 different articles on this. All 3 say the same thing: Arrested on felony drug charges.

Why wasn't he being arrested for hacking?

BTW, I'm typing, not opening my mouth. It's the internet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Well, you're not considering the fact that steve jobs could be behind this. That is how smooth he operates. Have you forgotten Gizmodo, and the Asian suicides?

I better not say anything else then! :O

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Of course.. because its completely unbelievable that someone already involved in criminal activities would be involved in other criminal activities..

Really? You think that's some sort of amazing point to make as a reply to what I said?

Had the drugs not been present, would he had been arrested for hacking? Just ask yourself that question, then ask yourself if the government even has the right to tell you what you can and can't put in your body. It wasn't a drug trafficking charge, it was a possession charge.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

OMG! He's a hobbit!

Even more oddly, the address listed in the booking is for an attorney in Arkansas.