iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

Comments

• Reply 181 of 207
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Thanks for proving my point. You are not interested in rational discussion. You've made up your mind how other people think and refuse to listen to reality. That is classified as mental illness in most texts.

And the same can be said for you and your opinion for anybody who's the slightest bit critical of Apple....which in recent history has even included a moderator of this site, hardly someone who would not be classified as an Apple fan.
  • Reply 182 of 207
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

And the same can be said for you and your opinion for anybody who's the slightest bit critical of Apple....which in recent history has even included a moderator of this site, hardly someone who would not be classified as an Apple fan.

You're hallucinating. Again. I have criticized Apple myself on plenty of occasions. If the criticism is justified, I support it.

I simply don't accept mindless idiotic criticism that appears to be all that you're capable of.
  • Reply 183 of 207
    Quote:

My crack at the OEM choice was a simple wisecrack directed at a die-hard Apple fan who would normally pooh-pooh choice.

No, your 'wisecrack' was indicative of the mindless attacks that are all you seem to be capable of.

As a long-time Apple fan, I have ALWAYS been in favor of letting the user decide what to use. Remember when Macs were only a tiny percentage of computers? I was arguing vigorously that people should be able to choose the tools to use - and that Macs would have a larger share if that happened. I have also consistently allowed employees to choose whichever computer they wanted - even if I felt that a Mac would be a better solution.

In spite of your vitriol and attempts to hide from reality, Apple fans almost always argue for choice. I have never once in my 25 years of using Macs seen a Mac user arguing that people should be FORCED to use Macs or forbidden to use Windows. I've seen the opposite countless times.

You seem to think of choice in the same way Adobe does - as long as people choose the thing you want them to have, choice is OK. But as soon as someone picks something different than you, you pretend that they're anti-choice.
  • Reply 184 of 207
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

Why you need removable batteries

1. Because, it is easier to reset the phone when it hangs (RIM, nokia etc..,).

2. Because, we can carry 1,000 batteries and never require to charge. Only need another phone as a battery charger. Also, it will overcome the problem that the battery only last for an hour (Samsung, LG etc..,).

you forgot:

3. we want dust, dirt, sand, finger oil, and moisture to get inside the phone where they help things so much.

4. if we happen to drop it while foolin' with the battery, we might get lucky and damage something inside!

5. carrying an external juice pack for an iPhone on long trips that is easy to recharge is sooo hard compared to carrying an extra internal battery the same size that you can't easily recharge, because ... well, just because i say so and i'm a geek who knows everything, so shut up!
  • Reply 185 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

AppleInsider can provide good information. Good rumors. But it seems so increasingly biased towards Apple products that it loses all semblance of credibility. Even Apple's website is more balanced. If AppleInsider becomes nothing but an Apple cheerleader, it loses relevance and people will eventually ignore it as a source of news.

Dude, look around you. This isn't Wired or Ars Technica. Read the posts here. This is the house that the SJRDF built.

AI sells ads, and they know their audience.
  • Reply 186 of 207
    Quote:

Apple fans almost always argue for choice.

Let's find out how much Apple fans favor choice:

How many Apple fans here want the be able to choose whether or not they can use software made with languages other than C?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose where they buy their apps?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose which service carrier they get with their phone?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose apps like MyFrame? (see:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers )

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose from more than one model of phone?

How many Apple fans here who've criticized other systems have actually spent any significant time using them?

So far the posts I've read here from most Apple fans argue against why choice is even desirable. I look forward to having them prove me wrong on that....
  • Reply 187 of 207
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Right, I'm clearly trolling. Please learn how to read or, better yet, fall off a cliff. If I were a troll I'd bash apple.

Not so obvious troll is still a troll.
  • Reply 188 of 207
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Who's infected by the RDF is clear in my mind. I have a Mac at home. I am considering buying an iPad and I've owned an iPod or two. But I am the Apple hater for having an Android phone? Wow.

This what I personally dislike about most Apple fans: the smugness and the insistence that unless you swallow Jobs' load whole, you must be an Apple hater.

And by the way, I was referring to you specifically, not most of the Apple clan on here. You seem to be of a special breed of fanboy.

Troll some more, but somewhere else.
  • Reply 189 of 207
    Quote:

I never get the "FM Radio is useless." argument.

I don't see why Apple should not throw one in any more. The iPod and iTunes are established platforms now. I highly doubt a radio would really hurt iTunes sales these days.

It may not be iTunes sales. It may be an engineering issue - like trying to squeeze another chip onto the motherboard or energy usage (although this may not be the issue if the current radio chip already supports FM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Let's find out how much Apple fans favor choice:

How many Apple fans here want the be able to choose whether or not they can use software made with languages other than C?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose where they buy their apps?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose which service carrier they get with their phone?

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose apps like MyFrame? (see:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers )

How many Apple fans here want to be able to choose from more than one model of phone?

How many Apple fans here who've criticized other systems have actually spent any significant time using them?

So far the posts I've read here from most Apple fans argue against why choice is even desirable. I look forward to having them prove me wrong on that....

Sorry, you're confused (again).

The typical iPhone user couldn't care less about the things you're suggesting. They don't care what language is used to write the software. They don't even know what MyFrame is. They don't care where their apps come from. Those are choices that just don't concern anyone but geeks. Most iPhone/iPad customers simply want to be able to play music, use the camera, make phone calls, browse the web, etc.

As for your last question, I'd guess that at least 90% of Mac users have used Windows extensively at one time or another - typically because it's required by their job. Every iPhone user I know has used other phones, as well.

There are undoubtedly people on both sides - but very, very few who would never buy anything unless it came from Apple. They would have a very limited life - no mobile phone until 2008, no BD player, no other electronic devices, etc. Almost all Apple fans also buy products from other vendors, so we have the entire world to choose from.

OTOH, the significant number of people who insist that they would NEVER buy anything from Apple have a more limited selection (their selection might still be substantial, but it is more limited than someone who can buy from ANY supplier). So it's the "Apple will never see one penny of my money" group who has the more limited choice.
  • Reply 190 of 207
    Quote:

OTOH, the significant number of people who insist that they would NEVER buy anything from Apple have a more limited selection (their selection might still be substantial, but it is more limited than someone who can buy from ANY supplier). So it's the "Apple will never see one penny of my money" group who has the more limited choice.

What a strong point. I hate Lucky Charms so I guess I have a "more limited selection" when it comes to the cereal aisle.

::sarcasm::
  • Reply 191 of 207
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I never get the "FM Radio is useless." argument. How so? I don't have one on my Nexus One and I do miss it. I stream the local radio station morning show on my bus ride and/or sometimes stream the show just to listen for traffic updates on the way down to the car. It's ridiculous that my old dumbphone had it and the new phones today don't. I consider that going backwards.

I hate having to burn up immense amounts of data to do this. Thankfully, I have an unlimited data plan. But it's ridiculous to burn data and burden the network unnecessarily to listen to the radio.

iPhone/iPod users probably find a radio useless, because they don't have one. I bet opinions would change quickly if they were included. I've seen the same argument elsehwere where fans of other phones repeat the same argument too. Who needs a radio? Yet people who have them, do actually use them..

You're not burning up 'immense amounts of data' to stream local radio, and there are millions of folks who do this every day. You can also get traffic via streaming radio or via other means if you dislike the streaming option. There are any number of free services that will stream local radio stations, or stations from any decent sized city around the world for that matter. FM Radio is a pointless addition with a device that is always connected. Most radio stations stream at 32 kbps or some at 64 kbps which results in about 4-8 Kb/s. It would take many hours to amount to anything substantial, and most people aren't away from WiFi for that long.

Why put a dated technology into a device that's already been superseded by another?
  • Reply 192 of 207
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You're not burning up 'immense amounts of data' to stream local radio, and there are millions of folks who do this every day. You can also get traffic via streaming radio or via other means if you dislike the streaming option. There are any number of free services that will stream local radio stations, or stations from any decent sized city around the world for that matter. FM Radio is a pointless addition with a device that is always connected. Most radio stations stream at 32 kbps or some at 64 kbps which results in about 4-8 Kb/s. It would take many hours to amount to anything substantial, and most people aren't away from WiFi for that long.

Why put a dated technology into a device that's already been superseded by another?

I'm betting that very many folks DON'T do this. I'm saying this because I was really, really shocked at how little data most iPhone users are now claiming to use.

I stream Pandora every day for lunch. I've kept my iPhone on Tmobile even with just 2G data using the rates you've noted above at 8K/s all burn through 187.5 megs of data a month.

I've got wifi at work but they've got it locked down to only company devices. I'd love to find a way around it but there can indeed be a use for FM radio. The best reason I've read for it makes total sense. People go to the gym and jump on the treadmills but the overhead televisions aren't broadcasting sound unless you tune to a certain FM channel. This was exactly why Apple added it to the iPod nano. I've read that the hardware exists in the iPhone but hasn't been activated.
  • Reply 193 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm betting that very many folks DON'T do this. I'm saying this because I was really, really shocked at how little data most iPhone users are now claiming to use.

I stream Pandora every day for lunch. I've kept my iPhone on Tmobile even with just 2G data using the rates you've noted above at 8K/s all burn through 187.5 megs of data a month.

I've got wifi at work but they've got it locked down to only company devices. I'd love to find a way around it but there can indeed be a use for FM radio. The best reason I've read for it makes total sense. People go to the gym and jump on the treadmills but the overhead televisions aren't broadcasting sound unless you tune to a certain FM channel. This was exactly why Apple added it to the iPod nano. I've read that the hardware exists in the iPhone but hasn't been activated.

I've never been to a gym that doesn't include a headphone jack for the gym TV's, and I actively work out and have done so for about the last 15 years. 187 MB a month is nothing for usage, and in line with what I use now.
  • Reply 194 of 207
    Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, you're confused (again).

The typical iPhone user couldn't care less about the things you're suggesting.

Thank you for proving my point.
  • Reply 195 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Thank you for proving my point.

That you don't understand what freedom of choice really is and really like strawman arguments?
  • Reply 196 of 207
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    That's the refresh rate of the screen, system wide, it's restricted to 30fps making the phone's animations etc appear jerky and slow.

Video is @ 24 fps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

hilarious how they just sort of guessed at 20fps for the Evo's 720p video recorder. Where was that spec listed btw?

The threads I read at PPCGeeks have people complaining that they were getting ONLY 30.

• Reply 197 of 207
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

I've never been to a gym that doesn't include a headphone jack for the gym TV's, and I actively work out and have done so for about the last 15 years. 187 MB a month is nothing for usage, and in line with what I use now.

Are you serious? It must be a Texas thing. I've never even seen equipment have headphone jacks on them. Wouldn't that be a large liability issue and just a pain in the butt to call people out if someone screws it up with their headphones?

As for the 187MB, realize that is just the amount from streaming Pandora. There is still apps, email, and web use. I'm on Tmobile which is 2G data (limited to about 15Kps) since I get unlimited for $10 through them. If I actually had 3G data, I'd likely blow through a lot more.
  • Reply 198 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Not so obvious troll is still a troll.

You're entitled to your opinion, doesn't mean it's true though.
  • Reply 199 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Are you serious? It must be a Texas thing. I've never even seen equipment have headphone jacks on them. Wouldn't that be a large liability issue and just a pain in the butt to call people out if someone screws it up with their headphones?

As for the 187MB, realize that is just the amount from streaming Pandora. There is still apps, email, and web use. I'm on Tmobile which is 2G data (limited to about 15Kps) since I get unlimited for $10 through them. If I actually had 3G data, I'd likely blow through a lot more.

You must not get out into the gym much

Every gym with TV's and cardio machines in front of them all have headphone jacks. They are standard jacks. I've never heard anyone complain that they damaged their headphones in some way in all the years and all the gyms I've been through over the years. It's also a national chain. I doubt seriously they are that different by state.
  • Reply 200 of 207
    Quote:

You must not get out into the gym much

Every gym with TV's and cardio machines in front of them all have headphone jacks. They are standard jacks. I've never heard anyone complain that they damaged their headphones in some way in all the years and all the gyms I've been through over the years. It's also a national chain. I doubt seriously they are that different by state.

Not my gym (actually, both of the gyms I've used in the past 3 years are set up the same way). There are 5 or 6 TVs set up and each of them has an FM transmitter set to a different station. You can watch any of the TVs simply by tuning your FM radio to a given station.

I agree that FM would be nice to have, but not if there's a significant penalty in size, battery life, cost, etc.