iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

Comments

• Reply 141 of 207
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

So you're required to carry around 'game cartridges' for any complex 3D games, or do such games not exist on the Android platform?

I have a small'ish list of apps and games installed, 3 of which are over 100 MB, and two of which are over 200 MB. I have about a gig total in apps and games. I would be required to 'swap out a card' to work around this issue?

As to the touch screen issues, HTC is not without blemish:

http://www.techweet.com/2010/06/15/h...hscreen-issues

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Fix-...e-a_12041.html

http://www.techalps.com/android/htc-...ty-issues.html

What are you talking about? Game cartridge?

The removable memory is a tiny micro SD card which is inside the phone. Most folks never mess with it.

HTC makes the Nexus One and the Incredible and the EVO. The sensitivity issue they're talking about is when you're not holding the phone and even then, in dry climates. Not a typical occurrence. Doesn't affect most people.
  • Reply 142 of 207
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

How does it not look that way? Because I am willing to say good things about companies besides apple?

Look at your post from the side, troll.
  • Reply 143 of 207
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What is with this site an Android people? Who are you and why are you here? Nobody cares what you think, about your own phone, or the iPhone.

The AI chart was a great look at the basics, hardware wise. Software, there is no comparison. Apple's software ecosystem is decades ahead, and if you don't realize that, the iPhone probably isn't for you in the first place. So, no point in being here!

I'm here because I've been an iPhone user and admirer for 2 years. I develop iPhone apps. I have an iPod touch. I have a Macbook and a new Macbook Pro and also develop Mac software.

Just because I own and use many Apple products doesn't mean I do not recognize other good products when I see them.

And in general I am concerned when I see articles that are so biased that they serve more to confuse than inform.

iPhone still has some advantages. Android has its share of warts. They have very different philosophies. Hard to tell how it will shake out.

But its unfortunate when there is no one left in the middle that can discuss differences. It seems that the internet and media today thrive only on the extreme opinions. Thats how they get ratings. Thats how to get noticed. Provide a boring informational article that provides true information about competing products and no one will care or notice. Provide an overly biased article trying to plug one product and fanboys come out from all sides.

I can tell you plenty of bad things about Android, the phones and the ecosystem. But not the ones listed in this article. I can say lots of good things about iPhone, but not the ones listed in this article.

I wish there was a less inflammatory way to share accurate information.
  • Reply 144 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're right, the CCD doesn't matter because they don't use CCD. As for the size of pixels and BSI, they are important factors, but since the the iPhones use a larger pixel size than other phones you have to say how it doesn't matter if a phone can capture more or less photons. Well, at least your anti-Apple rhetoric is predictable

oops. CMOS. Thanks.

My point is that no matter how many or how few photons can be captured, it doesn't matter if the lens is not good quality. One can take a 100 megapixel picture with pixel density up the wazoo, but if you use a crappy lens, the picture will look like crap.

That is why I said that the only real test is the final picture quality, and not the specs of the pixel size.
  • Reply 145 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Android has no value to the average user, although a tiny percentage of "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks might like it.

Given that "fact", how do you explain Android's explosive market growth? All sold to the identified subset of geeks? I don't think that there are very many of those, and I think you agree with that.

So given that there are very few "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks out there, how are Android phones selling so fast?
  • Reply 146 of 207
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

... Google doesn't get it, either. Why do you think there are dozens of incompatible phones and phones still coming out with ancient versions of Android? Heck, phones are still being sold with Android 1.5 and no hope of getting 2.1, much less 2.2.

I actually think the fragmentation and vendors leapfrogging each other with phones, OS versions, features is intentional on Google's part. They don't want any one handset vendor to gain any advantage over any other, otherwise, they risk loosing some control of Android. By playing them against each other and feeding features to them piecemeal, Google keeps them pretty much where it wants them. As far as the developers and user experience goes, Google doesn't give a damn about that. They know they can always sucker developers in with their faux open approach and carriers will push their phones on unsuspecting users because it profits them to do so. It's all about Google keeping it's information collection operation fed and using Android to harvest data and rake in ad revenues.
  • Reply 147 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r6danl View Post

I also get over 24 hours on a single charge with nominal to heavy use.

BS. I call shenanigans. Everyone has read the reviews of EVO battery life.
  • Reply 148 of 207
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Given that "fact", how do you explain Android's explosive market growth? All sold to the identified subset of geeks? I don't think that there are very many of those, and I think you agree with that.

So given that there are very few "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks out there, how are Android phones selling so fast?

You mean buy 1 get 1 for free?
  • Reply 149 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Look at your post from the side, troll.

Right, I'm clearly trolling. Please learn how to read or, better yet, fall off a cliff. If I were a troll I'd bash apple.
  • Reply 150 of 207
    Quote:

That's exactly my point. 2.2 is out now and MAYBE my daughter will get 2.1. MAYBE.

Why did she get that phone when the Nexus One is available for ATT?

The Backflip is not a phone I would expect much from. It got lousy reviews, and it is sold with an old OS.

But it is cheap, and my guess is that in the budget category, pepole care less about having the absolute state of the art. Their intent is to compromise, and not to get the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 151 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsp View Post

One thing that many of you have failed to notice is that Google is a fifth columnist.

It has allowed the Android platform to be used as the springboard for Asian competitors to colonize the American tech marketplace. Look at the Android smartphones: Asian Android makers thump American Android players by miles. HTC's Evo leaves Google's Nexus One and Motorola Droid in the dust.

Uh...you do realize the Nexus One is a HTC Passion right?

And the iPhone is built in China?

Quote:

Asian players don't give a hoot about rhetorics such as "open" and "free choice" and they are happy that American players are tying their own hands and feet with such nonsense. They are getting a free lunch at the expense of American stupidity and naivety.

Asian competitors are learning fast and moving up the food chain while American players are content with the same mediocrity and lack of imagination. Soon another industry will be lost and Asian manufacturers will exact their pound of flesh from their former tormentor.

Wake me when China takes over the software industry from MS, Oracle, Google, Apple, IBM, etc.

Not saying it will never happen but there have been many past predictions that Japan and India would destroy the US in the tech dominance and now China. Strong competitors yes, but somehow, even with the fabs in Asia and big research and tech centers in Bangalore we still seem to be top dog.
  • Reply 152 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsp View Post

Asian Android makers thump American Android players by miles. HTC's Evo leaves Google's Nexus One and Motorola Droid in the dust.

The best selling Android phone is made by Motorola, an American company.

The "Google Nexus One" is made by HTC.

You may want to rethink your premises, and retest your conclusions against them.
  • Reply 153 of 207
    Why do people even bring up the Backflip? The phone is free with a new 2-year contract. You can even get the Droid for free after a new contract on Wirefly. The cheapest iPhone is an 8GB 3G refurb for 49.99 (hardware which is 2 years old).

I think comparing to the Droid X hardware (since it's not even out yet like the iPhone 4) would be much more fair and at the same price point. Really this hardware comparison should be between the Evo, Droid X, and iPhone 4. They are all coming out +/- 30 days of each other and at similar pricepoints.

The Droid is 8 months old and its hardware is being compared to a phone not even in public yet.

Fragmentation is much more due to carriers than Google. It's a downfall of having a choice in your provider and hardware and price point. Small price to pay for that choice to some.
  • Reply 154 of 207
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

How does it not look that way? Because I am willing to say good things about companies besides apple? I've given apple credit when it was due, just like I do with android. The people around here, for the most part, just spend time trying to rag on it blindly--often without even trying it. Personally, I like to keep an open mind. Except for Windows Mobile.

WinPhone 7 looks really good. In some ways much preferred over Android. Say what you want about MS but they are a dev centric company and there's a gazillion XNA/WPF/C# devs that are looking forward to developing with their native tool chains vs ObjC or Java.

XNA 4.0 and Win Phone 7 makes for a fairly compelling mobile game dev environment. Someone is doing the NeHe Tutorials for XNA 4.0 and WinPhone 7.

Even as a Java developer that does some JOGL, I'm more tempted by XNA/WinPhone 7 than going Android.
  • Reply 155 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

But its unfortunate when there is no one left in the middle that can discuss differences.

I think that some people here are very defensive, but for reasons I don't fully understand.

It has been proposed that some of them have blurred the line between the crap they own and their personal identities, so that if a bad point of their phone is mentioned, it becomes a personal insult. I've seen evidence of that here.

Another theory is that Apple was an industry rounding error for decades, and its fans constantly had to defend their choice of platform. Now that Apple has significant market penetration in non-computer products, they relive their past, but they now play the part of their former tormentors. That one seems more far-fetched to me, but I don't really know.

What I find especially amusing is how many of the former Apple defenses are now turned on their head due to the favorable market share that Apple has in its portable CE devices. For example, back in the days when there was relatively little software available for the Mac, a common defense was that Mac software was high quality, so that lack of variety in Mac apps meant nothing.

But now Apple sells billions of craplications for the iPhone, and the former "quality is better than quantity" defense is no longer applicable. Now the line is "More software, More choices: That is Better."

Another example: Back in the old days (and even today) people defend the Mac hardware against charges that it is not very powerful. But when the iPhone matured with the 3GS, it was easily among the best and most powerful hardware on the market, and Apple people magically started touting the iPhone's (then) unique and powerful hardware.

I find the mobile space to be very exciting right now, with lots of things turning upside down very quickly. Everything old (like cut and paste?) becomes new again. These days people are again arguing the merits of thin clients vs local storage, apps running on servers instead of the local hardware, open OSs versus locked-down ones, etc.

And pocketable computers are finally starting to become very, very cool. I bought my first one back in the mid-1990's, a Sony Treo, and today's choices make that device look like a Model T.
  • Reply 156 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

You mean buy 1 get 1 for free?

I think it is safe to say that the number of non-Android BOGO offers dwarfs the number of Android BOGO offers, so I can't really agree that the pricing strategy is a complete explanation.

I will agree, however, that some Android phones are indeed priced very well.
  • Reply 157 of 207
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I'm here because I've been an iPhone user and admirer for 2 years. I develop iPhone apps. I have an iPod touch. I have a Macbook and a new Macbook Pro and also develop Mac software.

Just because I own and use many Apple products doesn't mean I do not recognize other good products when I see them.

And in general I am concerned when I see articles that are so biased that they serve more to confuse than inform.

iPhone still has some advantages. Android has its share of warts. They have very different philosophies. Hard to tell how it will shake out.

But its unfortunate when there is no one left in the middle that can discuss differences. It seems that the internet and media today thrive only on the extreme opinions. Thats how they get ratings. Thats how to get noticed. Provide a boring informational article that provides true information about competing products and no one will care or notice. Provide an overly biased article trying to plug one product and fanboys come out from all sides.

I can tell you plenty of bad things about Android, the phones and the ecosystem. But not the ones listed in this article. I can say lots of good things about iPhone, but not the ones listed in this article.

Uggh. I feel the same way. These forums are ridiculous. Every non-Apple forum tries to paint the iPhone as a "toy" and every Apple forum tries to paint every Android phone (often mistaking one phone for the platform) as utterly unusable.

In reality, they are different solutions that work for different people. I was not the jailbreaking type. That would be too techie for me. And that's exactly why I got a Nexus One. Defies the stereotype doesn't it? I wanted things like my own wallpaper, widgets, folders, etc. And I didn't want to have to jailbreak (or root for Android) and violate my ToS/EULA/warranty. So I got a stock Android phone, knowing that I would not have to do anything except push the update button when the updates arrive. So I find the idea that only techies get Android to be ridiculous. Even more hypocritical is the bashing for Android being "techie" and "complicated" while the iOS is now implementing many of the same features (like folders for example) that were until now considered too complicated for the average user.

Conversely, I also don't get the argument that the iPhone is a "toy". It's not. The restrictions are purposeful and intentional and obvious. Users who have issues with them are few and far between and are usually the type who would jailbreak or be on Android anyway.

To me, all the folks who would jailbreak (pretty much every iPhone user I know save one) are people looking for more functionality. And most of the time, the functions that they were looking for, are stock in Android. That's (I think) what makes Android potent, and why Apple loosened up a bit with iOS4, with the multi-tasking, folders, wallpapers, etc.

Anyway, they both have room to improve, imho. I love how smooth iOS is. Android could definitely work on that. It's one point. But a huge one. On the Android side, I love things like notifications, live wallpapers, widgets and mifi. Those are all features and improvements, that Apple will hopefully implement in iOS5.

I look forward to enjoying both. I'm saving up for an iPad right now (or sneak in time on my girlfriend's iPad when she picks one up) and I'll be tethering off the mifi on my Nexus One. Best of both worlds.
  • Reply 158 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Why do people even bring up the Backflip? The phone is free with a new 2-year contract.

JRAGOSTA just "bought" one for his daughter. He says it is a good phone.

But he also thinks that the OS should be as advanced as the phones which cost money. IMO, with the mobile space changing so rapidly, it was a huge mistake to buy old tech.

If he got it for free, he can sell it on eBay and use the cash to get a Nexus One on the Google website.
  • Reply 159 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

WinPhone 7 looks really good. In some ways much preferred over Android.

With no multitasking and (IIRC) a locked-in app store, I have no interest in WinPhone 7.
  • Reply 160 of 207
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I never get the "FM Radio is useless." argument. How so? I don't have one on my Nexus One and I do miss it. I stream the local radio station morning show on my bus ride and/or sometimes stream the show just to listen for traffic updates on the way down to the car. It's ridiculous that my old dumbphone had it and the new phones today don't. I consider that going backwards.

I hate having to burn up immense amounts of data to do this. Thankfully, I have an unlimited data plan. But it's ridiculous to burn data and burden the network unnecessarily to listen to the radio.

iPhone/iPod users probably find a radio useless, because they don't have one. I bet opinions would change quickly if they were included. I've seen the same argument elsehwere where fans of other phones repeat the same argument too. Who needs a radio? Yet people who have them, do actually use them.

I don't see why Apple should not throw one in any more. The iPod and iTunes are established platforms now. I highly doubt a radio would really hurt iTunes sales these days.