iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android: hardware features

15791011

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post


    who wants a FM radio? i mean come on. next youll be wanting VCR output.





    "Audience



    The growth in stations, and the possible erosion in local journalistic content, has not materially transformed how many people listen to radio. The 94 percent figure calculated by Arbitron has stayed virtually unchanged for the last five years, the time from which data are available."



    http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2004/...?cat=3&media=8



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post


    i have no idea what id do with HDMI output. transferring videos to cell phone is something you never see any one do. hooking your phone up to a tv? completely useless, when have you or any one else came across a moment when you said, damn if only i could hook my phone up to a tv.





    It would be great to be able to use an iPhone as a portable disk drive. It would be even greater if it would plug directly into the TV/Entertainment system. Most movies are compressed to 700 mB so several would fit on an iPhone.



    People take videos on their phones all the time. What's wrong with being able to show them on a nice screen?
  • Reply 122 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post


    And both cameras are run by a shitty OS with buggy camera software, so 'tis a moot point, really.



    Which bugs exist in the stock camera software?



    Aren't there many, many choices of camera software if the stock app is not great?



    Do you like the camera software on the iPhone?
  • Reply 123 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    It will be interesting to see the camera 'picture' comparison to other phones.






    That is the only real test. All this theoretical nattering about pixel size and number ignores that fact that the lenses are vitally important to a camera. It doesn't really matter what CCD is used if the lens sucks.
  • Reply 124 of 207
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Thanks DED, you're the best in the business!!!
  • Reply 125 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post


    The iPhone 3GS supports component video output, like recent iPods. Component video is significantly higher quality than composite video. The iPad and iPhone 4 support 1024x768 video for displays and projectors. HDMI done right would be nice, but HDMI done poorly is not an advantage to iPod + VGA video.






    What makes you think that Apple would release "HDMI done poorly"? Do you have any examples of HDMI done poorly?
  • Reply 126 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post


    So you're required to carry around 'game cartridges' for any complex 3D games, or do such games not exist on the Android platform?



    I have a small'ish list of apps and games installed, 3 of which are over 100 MB, and two of which are over 200 MB. I have about a gig total in apps and games. I would be required to 'swap out a card' to work around this issue?



    [/url]



    http://www.techalps.com/android/htc-...ty-issues.html





    As you already know, there is no need to carry multiple cards or to swap them. All the games you have, plus a dozen movies and a hundred novels will fit on one card.
  • Reply 127 of 207
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post


    all i can say once the newness wears off the EVO and you get tired of the buggy ness and patch work of android... you'll be back, they always come back



    Broad reaching statements like these irk me. When I had the choice, I went with Android, mostly because it seemed more open, and it is. While I don't know if it's "geek phone" per se--you can use the stock build just as well as if you wanted to root it, I do know it's a solid choice. I have never regretted my purchase, and iPhone 4 is only alluring to me for the better screen, which no one yet knows in real world terms how well it will operate by way of battery drain.



    I wonder what percentage of people root their iPhones to get away from Apple's walled garden? That would speak to usability a little, I think.



    Either way, anyone who makes a choice to buy something other than an Apple product is not automatically making a wrong choice, nor will they "be back" having seen Android. Honestly, the Google/Android solution is very elegant and pretty damned slick for far less cash when you take into account the cost of MobileMe and many apps.



    m.



    And, I'm not ashamed to say, I'm totally a Mac Fanboi. I love my multiple Mac computers, my AirPort extreme, and recently acquired an iPad. I just don't think Apple's done mobile as well or as open as they could.
  • Reply 128 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post




    Now she has long fingernails (God bless her! *grin*)...



    Now, my wife as far as technology goes fits pretty close to that mainstream golden mean for the "average consumer"...



    She told me that of all the phones we looked at the iPhone simply had a better interface and very straight forward controls that she could navigate without a lot of fuss and bother.







    I always was skeptical of the "digitally clueless beauty queen" line from the original Droid commercial.



    Not so much after reading this post.
  • Reply 129 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    Yeah I'm interested in the reviews as well. I have a Droid now but I'm looking at the iPhone 4 and the Droid X and weighing the pros/cons of both. I'm actually a member of this forum and an Android forum, it's funny how deeply entrenched the fanboys are on both sides. People spend way too much energy trying to validate their purchases by convincing others that their phone of choice is the best.



    Also, I'm not exactly sure how anyone expected an article from a site called Apple Insider to be objective in the first place.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    Really? because it sure doesn't look that way.



    How does it not look that way? Because I am willing to say good things about companies besides apple? I've given apple credit when it was due, just like I do with android. The people around here, for the most part, just spend time trying to rag on it blindly--often without even trying it. Personally, I like to keep an open mind. Except for Windows Mobile.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post


    Broad reaching statements like these irk me. When I had the choice, I went with Android, mostly because it seemed more open, and it is. While I don't know if it's "geek phone" per se--you can use the stock build just as well as if you wanted to root it, I do know it's a solid choice. I have never regretted my purchase, and iPhone 4 is only alluring to me for the better screen, which no one yet knows in real world terms how well it will operate by way of battery drain.



    I wonder what percentage of people root their iPhones to get away from Apple's walled garden? That would speak to usability a little, I think.



    Either way, anyone who makes a choice to buy something other than an Apple product is not automatically making a wrong choice, nor will they "be back" having seen Android. Honestly, the Google/Android solution is very elegant and pretty damned slick for far less cash when you take into account the cost of MobileMe and many apps.



    m.



    And, I'm not ashamed to say, I'm totally a Mac Fanboi. I love my multiple Mac computers, my AirPort extreme, and recently acquired an iPad. I just don't think Apple's done mobile as well or as open as they could.



    The issue is with both sides. It pretty much starts with converted fanboys who try to convince those who havent made the jump to a new OS that they're stupid. At the same time the "loyalists" need to justify their purchase by stating that the opposing OS is absolutely horrible, even if it isn't the case (it usually isn't). I feel like fanboys view their phones as extensions of themselves and when someone attacks the phone they're using the feel like its an attack on themselves lol.
  • Reply 130 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post


    That is the only real test. All this theoretical nattering about pixel size and number ignores that fact that the lenses are vitally important to a camera. It doesn't really matter what CCD is used if the lens sucks.



    You're right, the CCD doesn't matter because they don't use CCD. As for the size of pixels and BSI, they are important factors, but since the the iPhones use a larger pixel size than other phones you have to say how it doesn't matter if a phone can capture more or less photons. Well, at least your anti-Apple rhetoric is predictable
  • Reply 131 of 207
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,457member
    Jesus, how is this any different than any other argument that has been going on between Apple and every other maker of a product?



    My Quadra is like a great little pizza box with the disk drive and CD rom all at desk level. The monitor sits right on top and it is all wonderfully convenient.



    Meanwhile a thousand PC makers make plenty of ill fitting, sharp cornered beige boxes that still sold millions.



    Apple's solution is a great solution but it is absolutely one size fits all. if it doesn't fit you, get something else.
  • Reply 132 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post


    t I don't know what they are doing to try and protect software from being stolen.



    I think that Google will do exactly the same thing as Apple does to try and protect software from being stolen.



    Nothing. On the Mac.



    How's that working out for Mac developers? OK?







    Is the mobile software industry different, such that software vending need be done by a sole source, lest there be piracy? Since the earliest days of personal computing, Apple has done nothing "to try and protect software from being stolen". What is different now?
  • Reply 133 of 207
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    A blatently biased and at times factually false article as usual.
  • Reply 134 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    I'm looking at the iPhone 4 and the Droid X and weighing the pros/cons of both.



    Please post your thought here once you have firmed up some conclusions.



    Do you really have a current choice of leaving ATT for Verizon? Is there any significant difference in signal availability in your area? If so, then your choice is already made.
  • Reply 135 of 207
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/m...-update-in-q3/

    A major issue with the backflip is AT&T has their own tinkering to do with the OS (banning apps from outside the Android market, removing tethering, and other feature removal)



    That's exactly my point. 2.2 is out now and MAYBE my daughter will get 2.1. MAYBE.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    Anyway, the same issue exists across generations with iPhones. They don't all "just work" the same with the newest software.



    That's not true. When Apple releases a software update, it's available to all iPhones that support it. I just updated my 2 year old 3G to IOS 4.0 last night-the first day it was available. For Android, when a new version comes out, NO ONE gets it until the carrier and handset manufacturer support it.



    That has nothing to do with the fact that new software versions may not be fully functional on previous phones. That's obviously true of ANY system. For example, if Apple adds an FM tuner to iPhone 5 and iOS 5, it will obviously not work on previous phones. That's irrelevant to the fragmentation issue being discussed.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    And yes, there is fragmentation. I wouldn't exactly say Android was better for average consumers. If you aren't aware that your phone is a low tier phone, you're going to have issues. All of the "high end" phones are getting 2.2 or have had it leaked (for the purposes of the average consumer leaks are irrelevant though). Unlike the iPhone, you can't just pick it up and expect it to be the same. You can pick up two phones and they'll have completely different features at times, which can be a positive and a negative. But people who are up to date with tech (not the average consumer) would know this. I'd lump most Android users with the people who jailbreak their iPhones--people who like to mess with their phone just for the hell of it.



    I have no problem with that. You're simply confirming that I (and others) have said for a long time. Android has no value to the average user, although a tiny percentage of "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks might like it. For the average user, iPhone is a far better choice for all those reasons - and more.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    Google is actually working on removing the need for all the custom UIs from the new Gingerbread OS, which should solve this issue kind of. Everyone will be able to get the newest software at once, but just like the iphone they wont all necessarily be able to fully use it on their new phones.



    Sorry, but "Google is working on it" doesn't mean that the fragmentation issue is solved. It simply means that even Google admits that it's a real problem. Come back IF the problem is solved.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    You take issue with the fact the all the phones have different features, but I don't see that as a negative (except I agree on the premise that it makes updating phones much slower). I like having the option to choose based on features I want (I know we all like the iPhone here but lets not pretend it does EVERYTHING--although for some individual's purposes it very well may). This can lead to bad purchases and ruin the opinion of android though, like windows. Apple never has this problem because by dictating what the consumer wants they dont have room for error. That works for them very well, not so much with people who like to endlessly alter their devices. Apple is smart to avoid fragmentation. Various options allow too much room for consumers to choose, and unfortunately the average consumer isn't too tech savvy. People will probably buy the backflip after seeing the "Droid" commercials, and frankly the backflip plain sucks. I'm not sure why anyone would buy it willingly (in your case I'm sure it's because you have an iphone and got an android phone based on provider, AT&T's android offerings are complete crap).



    You're completely missing the point. I never said that a variety of phones with different features is a negative. That's your imagination.



    What I've said is that you can't have it both ways. Take your choice (pick 1):



    1. You admit that all Android phones are different and that there's no way to lump them together - in which case you can not use 'Android sales' in comparison to iPhone sales. Pick your favorite phone and compare ITS sales to the iPhone



    or



    2. Lump all Android devices together - but then you have to admit that they're all different and you have all the confusion that entails. Also, if you're going to do that, you really need to add in all the iPod Touches that run iOS, as well if you're interested in market share in terms of internet usage or application sales.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    Oh and BTW I'm not an "Android person". I'm a "whoever offers me the best phone for my needs at the time" person. I have no company allegiance.



    Thou doth protest too much.
  • Reply 136 of 207
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    And who in the heck would buy an android phone with 1.5 when they're up to 2.1, except someone who's technologically clueless? It's like those people who buy cheap emachines PCs and then condemn PCs as a whole.



    JRAGOSTA's daughter bought one recently (a Backflip). He says it is not a bad phone. I've not heard that anywhere else.



    I wouldn't have bought a device like that, but I think most people who do are not people who care abut what the device many or may not do someday: They just care about its current capabilities.
  • Reply 137 of 207
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Why isn't the Samsung Galaxy S in the mix? Comparing the iPhone 4 to a phones released half a year ago (like the Nexus One) seem like a stacked comparison.
  • Reply 138 of 207
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    That's exactly my point. 2.2 is out now and MAYBE my daughter will get 2.1. MAYBE.







    That's not true. When Apple releases a software update, it's available to all iPhones that support it. I just updated my 2 year old 3G to IOS 4.0 last night-the first day it was available. For Android, when a new version comes out, NO ONE gets it until the carrier and handset manufacturer support it.



    That has nothing to do with the fact that new software versions may not be fully functional on previous phones. That's obviously true of ANY system. For example, if Apple adds an FM tuner to iPhone 5 and iOS 5, it will obviously not work on previous phones. That's irrelevant to the fragmentation issue being discussed.







    I have no problem with that. You're simply confirming that I (and others) have said for a long time. Android has no value to the average user, although a tiny percentage of "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks might like it. For the average user, iPhone is a far better choice for all those reasons - and more.







    Sorry, but "Google is working on it" doesn't mean that the fragmentation issue is solved. It simply means that even Google admits that it's a real problem. Come back IF the problem is solved.







    You're completely missing the point. I never said that a variety of phones with different features is a negative. That's your imagination.



    What I've said is that you can't have it both ways. Take your choice (pick 1):



    1. You admit that all Android phones are different and that there's no way to lump them together - in which case you can not use 'Android sales' in comparison to iPhone sales. Pick your favorite phone and compare ITS sales to the iPhone



    or



    2. Lump all Android devices together - but then you have to admit that they're all different and you have all the confusion that entails. Also, if you're going to do that, you really need to add in all the iPod Touches that run iOS, as well if you're interested in market share in terms of internet usage or application sales.







    Thou doth protest too much.



    I feel like you're continuing an argument you might have been having with another poster on this site, because I never disagreed that Android has huge fragmentation.Also, I never compared Android sales to iphone sales and I never mentioned market share in terms of internet usage or application sales. I really don't care about the popularity of the phone, I don't have stock in any of these companies.



    And I agree for the average consumer the iPhone is better. I wouldn't say that Android has NO value to the average consumer though, I'm pretty sure we both know that's a bit of an over exaggeration. I feel the people that jailbreak their iphones would fit in a similar category as those for whom Android would be the best fit. Also, I wouldn't call Android users "my phone has more features than your phone" geeks. For some, simply using their phone is enough (People who leave their phone stock). For others, like those who would benefit most from Android and also the jailbreakers, it's fun to unlock your phone and see what it can do. To each his own. I think what's really the case is wanting to carve out their own experience.The average consumer isn't tech savvy enough to care about the world outside of Apple's predesigned experience. Honestly, the average consumer is just an idiot when it comes to technology. Apple knows that, and that is why they don't "leave it up to the user. Apple products are popular because Steve Jobs' iron grip dictatorship over the user experience creates a safe zone--which is good for the average person and bad for techies. Most people would actually benefit from a predesigned experience due to lack of knowledge, because when the average consumer is left to their own merits on an open system chaos tends to ensue.
  • Reply 139 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post


    Why isn't the Samsung Galaxy S in the mix? Comparing the iPhone 4 to a phones released half a year ago (like the Nexus One) seem like a stacked comparison.



    1) Clearly this is comparing the iPhone 4, due out this week, to Android phones that are already available in the US. Note the use of "Droid" in the chart, which is only licensed to Verizon. A phone that is only(?) in Singapore and not due to make it to the rest of the world until the end of the year isn't exactly a contender for people's money right now.



    2) The Verizon Droid Incredible and Sprint EVO 4G were not released a half-a-year ago so your accusation of a stacked comparison is a fallacy unless all phones were "out of date". The inclusion of the Moto Droid and Nexus One are quite clear. The Droid is by far the best selling Android phone in the US and the Nexus One is still the poster child for Android phones as it's Google's pride and joy and has gotten Froyo v2.2 before all others. This gives them great reason to be in this list along with the new Android rivals also represented.



    3) Early next year when new Android phones smartly comes out about halfway through its yearly lifecycle they will still be pitted against the half-a-year old iPhone 4. Even the EVO 4G which recently came out was compared to the iPhone 3GS more than the iPhone 4; and rightly so as the iPhone 4 was still not in hand or on the verge of shipping.
  • Reply 140 of 207
    vspvsp Posts: 32member
    One thing that many of you have failed to notice is that Google is a fifth columnist.



    It has allowed the Android platform to be used as the springboard for Asian competitors to colonize the American tech marketplace. Look at the Android smartphones: Asian Android makers thump American Android players by miles. HTC's Evo leaves Google's Nexus One and Motorola Droid in the dust.



    Asian players don't give a hoot about rhetorics such as "open" and "free choice" and they are happy that American players are tying their own hands and feet with such nonsense. They are getting a free lunch at the expense of American stupidity and naivety.



    Asian competitors are learning fast and moving up the food chain while American players are content with the same mediocrity and lack of imagination. Soon another industry will be lost and Asian manufacturers will exact their pound of flesh from their former tormentor.
Sign In or Register to comment.