Apple says white iPhone 4 won't arrive until late July

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released an official statement on availability of the white iPhone 4, noting that production of the device proved difficult, pushing its release back to late July.

"White models of Apple's new iPhone 4 have proven more challenging to manufacture than expected, and as a result they will not be available until the second half of July," the company said in a statement. "The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected."

The announcement kills any hope customers might have had of obtaining the white handset on launch day. Earlier this week, it was revealed that Best Buy had ordered at least 10 white iPhone 4 models for its stores, stirring up suggestions that Apple might have limited availability for Thursday's launch.

Apple never allowed customers to prepurchase the white iPhone 4, stating on its website that the model is currently unavailable for preorder or in-store pickup. In addition, AT&T's site listed the white model as "coming soon."

Pictures of the white iPhone 4 first surfaced before the hardware was even officially announced by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs earlier this month.

Indications that the white iPhone 4 would not be available at launch surfaced before preorders even began. A leaked memo from AT&T listed both the 16GB and 32GB capacities as available for purchase "later this summer."

On launch day around 4 p.m., Best Buy halted preorders of the white model. The retailer did so after it was asked by Apple to cease reservations for that model. Best Buy then ceased all preorders, including those for the black model, on June 16.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Hopefully in time for the Canadian launch.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Production proved difficult???

• Reply 3 of 47
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Anyone know why it is harder to produce?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

What exactly are you questioning?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Anyone know why it is harder to produce?

Speculative: Imperfections in white glass show up more easily than impurities in black glass?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Black is the new white
  • Reply 7 of 47
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Lame... Extremely L. A. M. E.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Well, I think its just the coloring of the glass.

Maybe they have had problems with the process??
  • Reply 9 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The last thing they need is another round of lawsuits because of imperfections in the material. Take the time to get it right, or take it off the market.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Being in manufacturing I think one of two things happened. Something went wrong with the color injection process or what I think is more likely, they simply used all available resources to crank out as many black ones they could knowing there was going to be a shortage.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    From an OPS perspective perhaps they had a problem producing both at the same time. They probably wouldn't want to lose time shifting the production line from one color to the other until the initial peak demand is under control. Didn't this happen with the white version of one of the previous models?
  • Reply 12 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Being in manufacturing I think one of two things happened. Something went wrong with the color injection process or what I think is more likely, they simply used all available resources to crank out as many black ones they could knowing there was going to be a shortage.

I suspect the latter. Historically it seems like the white models are far far less popular so why waste resources

At least now we have something of a time line and a confirmation that the "I want white" folks should NOT go stand in line thinking that there will be walk ins tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Maybe the Foxconn situation hasn't been rectified - that's my guess.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    I'm putting a case right around mine the second I get it. But wow. . . mid July! that's tough, sorry guys

C-
  • Reply 15 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Wonder if it started experiencing the same discoloration that Macbooks did?
  • Reply 16 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Not much later than where the black one is now as far as ordering is concerned. It would be nice if there were white ones in the stores tomorrow so people can decide what they want.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    UPDATE: From a reader/Design Manager who knows a thing or two about mass manufacturing, white equipment may indeed be harder to produce than black:

"The process to make the back of the glass black is an electroplating process. This creates a very durable consistent and smooth black finish. To make white on the other hand you have to paint the back of the glass with white paint. It is difficult to create a smooth opaque look with the white. Also if the white paint goes on too thick it is difficult to glue the glass on because the glue will stick to the paint, but the paint will pull off of the glass. "
  • Reply 18 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Think he was reiterating AI's quote "Apple on Wednesday released an official statement on availability of the white iPhone 4, noting that production of the device proved difficult, pushing its release back to late July." and asking what exactly does that mean. (my .02¢)
  • Reply 19 of 47
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

I'm putting a case right around mine the second I get it. But wow. . . mid July! that's tough, sorry guysC-

which case, out of curiosity?
  • Reply 20 of 47
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

But the white iPhones are just painted white on the back of the glass the same as the black ones have a black backing, aren't they?