'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Despite well publicized reports of iPhone 4 reception issues, one analyst said he sees Apple, in the "worst case," discounting or giving away protective bumpers with little financial impact on the company.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors Friday in which he discounted the antenna concerns as "overdone." Since the iPhone 4 launched, discussion of dropped calls from holding the device in one's left hand has grown, and Apple even publicly commented on the issue.

"We don't think the antenna issue is that big of a deal where it would warrant a product recall," Wu wrote. "The reason is that most users have a case anyway to protect their iPhone and to customize to their personal preferences. In our view, in the worst case, Apple provides a discount on the $29 iPhone 4 bumper case or includes one for free with an iPhone 4 purchase. Either way, we do not think this would have a material impact impact on our forecasts."

Apple, in a statement, said that gripping any mobile phone will affect its antenna performance. The company suggested that users avoid gripping the device in the lower left corner.

But the problem is also alleviated by using a case, which prevents the metal band around the perimeter of the device from making contact with the user's skin. The issue can reportedly be avoided when using the official "bumper" case sold by Apple.

Wu is particularly bullish on Apple's launch of the iPhone 4, predicting that the company sold between 1.5 million and 2 million units. On the high end, that would double the debut of the iPhone 3GS a year ago.

Wu's prediction of 2 million is higher than other analysts who believe Apple will sell closer to 1.5 million of the iPhone 4 at launch. Last week, after the first day of preorders, Apple revealed that more than 600,000 devices had been sold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    incredibly optimistic and insanely unlikely that this is "all" they'd be on the hook for.
  • Reply 2 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Personally...

I'd rather they had better designed/engineered the device prior to release, as opposed to this (proposed) half-hearted 'fix'.
  • Reply 3 of 171
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    That's exactly what I said earlier today. I assume they'll look at the design of the phone to see if they can improve the issue, but for the million plus units that are already manufactured, if a bumper solves the problem (and it sure sounds like it does) then they can give free bumpers to people that complain about the problem.

Again, I think they need to look at changing the design going forward, but assuming that bumpers do solve the problem I don't see why they'd be on the hook for anything beyond that.
  • Reply 4 of 171
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally...

I'd rather they had better designed/engineered the device before release, as opposed to this (proposed) half-hearted 'fix'.

It is surprising this left the door, I'll admit. However, throwing in a $29 bumper for $5 (which costs them $0.25) is an easy solution to the problem. It is a pretty stupid design flaw (in retrospect) that they should have seen coming and addressed already.

But, it isn't going to impact purchases or profitability.
  • Reply 5 of 171
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    What happens when you're in a high humidity area? Or go from a cool to warm environment? Or pick up the phone after putting down your cold drink?

The bumper case can't stop condensation.
  • Reply 6 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It is surprising this left the door, I'll admit. However, throwing in a $29 bumper for $5 (which costs them $0.25) is an easy solution to the problem.

If it helps them avoid lots of returns or a class action suit, I'd think they'd be happy to give them away. Depending on where this whole thing goes, I could see them including one in the box until they can tweak the design/manufacturing. Is there room in the box?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

What happens when you're in a high humidity area? Or go from a cool to warm environment?

The bumper case can't stop condensation.

Is that an actual issue? Have people reported having that problem or is that just a hypothetical?
  • Reply 7 of 171
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    giving away bumpers is far better than saying "go buy a bumper" when apple gets a 10,000% profit on them [assuming they cost 29 cents each to manufacture, package and ship.

btw, you can buy a bumper for the iPhone4 for 2 bucks here [or 3.50 with a protective film]:

http://www.sourcingmap.com/iphone4g-...-983_2036.html
  • Reply 8 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

That's exactly what I said earlier today. I assume they'll look at the design of the phone to see if they can improve the issue, but for the million plus units that are already manufactured, if a bumper solves the problem (and it sure sounds like it does) then they can give free bumpers to people that complain about the problem.

Again, I think they need to look at changing the design going forward, but assuming that bumpers do solve the problem I don't see why they'd be on the hook for anything beyond that.

I would hope that if a new rev of the phone happens a straight exchange of old for new could happen. Users should not be required to use the bumpers to solve the problem (if it exists for them).
  • Reply 9 of 171
    Considering the $29.00 bumpers probably cost Apple all of 29 cents to manufacture, I'd have to agree with the article and agree this of minimal financial impact to them. Still isn't Apple opening themselves up to a flood of requests for free bumpers? Do you really think the techs at the Genius bar are going to verify every user who comes in and claims poor service when they touch the antenna? At some point you just reach under the counter into the big box of overpriced rubber bands and hand them out to all comers... I love Apple and their products, but the 29 dollar iPhone rubber band has to be their most audacious money grab in some time. (this from the guy who paid $40 for their iPad wetsuit)
  • Reply 10 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I suggest everyone take a deep breath and wait until some controlled testing reveals whether this "flaw" is indeed such. It is possible that Apple is right, and that all phone signals are effected by the hand that holds it to one degree or another. Only scientific testing alongside the other models and competing phones can determine this. Not people standing in lines, or people posting on blogs.

If it is shown that there is a problem, then discussions of remedies will be germane.
  • Reply 11 of 171
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Free bumpers is one thing. The hit Apple is going to take on its engineering and aesthetics is going to be immeasurable.
  • Reply 12 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I would hope that if a new rev of the phone happens a straight exchange of old for new could happen. Users should not be required to use the bumpers to solve the problem (if it exists for them).

You're saying if they revise it to improve this, they should take back a million phones even if a bumper solves the problem? You can hope for that, but I doubt that would ever happen. Even a "win" in a class action lawsuit would probably just result in something like an apple store coupon.

And if apple did offer an exchange for a new design for people with the problem, you know that most people would trade it in even if it was working fine for them.
  • Reply 13 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I suggest everyone take a deep breath and wait until some controlled testing reveals whether this "flaw" is indeed such. It is possible that Apple is right, and that all phone signals are effected by the hand that holds it to one degree or another.

Of course Apple is right. The iPhone 4 just exhibits this problem to an extreme. Doesn't everyone understand marketing-speak?
  • Reply 14 of 171
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

If it helps them avoid lots of returns or a class action suit, I'd think they'd be happy to give them away. Depending on where this whole thing goes, I could see them including one in the box until they can tweak the design/manufacturing. Is there room in the box?

Is that an actual issue? Have people reported having that problem or is that just a hypothetical?

Believe it or not, manufacturers takes these things in consideration when designing their products.

1 year ago the iMacs had fogging issues behind the glass panel. If moisture can get behind that, it can certainly get behind the rubber bumper.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/me...sageID=9748968
  • Reply 15 of 171
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Wow. Worst case, huh?

If this isn't fixable (and I really only mean "visually" at the least) by a software update, then Apple is in a world of s**t.

Free rubber band ain't gonna bail them out.
  • Reply 16 of 171
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Just curious about how bad it really is. I wanted to be an early adopter, but the lines were crazy at midnight. There was no way I was going to wait that long.

Are we talking INSTANT dropped calls every time or do the bars just go down? I find that the bars on my 3Gs fluctuate all the time while talking, but I don't lose the call.
  • Reply 17 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Of course Apple is right. The iPhone 4 just exhibits this problem to an extreme.

Exactly. Plus it seems like in the case of the iPhone it's not just the hand blocking the signal, but touching the two parts of metal at once and basically causing a short between them, which likely happens in few if any other phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Believe it or not, manufacturers takes these things in consideration when designing their products.

Of course they do, I never said otherwise. I asked if condensation is something that people have had happen using bumpers or just a hypothetical you came up with, which you didn't answer.
  • Reply 18 of 171
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    You need to hold your phone in an apple approved fashion.

Otherwise, your warranty may not apply.
  • Reply 19 of 171
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    And there you have it.

And yet, with all the screaming negativity, AAPL is only down less than 1/10 of a percent.

So much for the Apple is doomed!? crowd.
  • Reply 20 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Just curious about how bad it really is. I wanted to be an early adopter, but the lines were crazy at midnight. There was no way I was going to wait that long.

Are we talking INSTANT dropped calls every time or do the bars just go down? I find that the bars on my 3Gs fluctuate all the time while talking, but I don't lose the call.

From what I've seen with data in the Speedtest app, as soon as the gap is bridged, data transfer halts. The bars seem to provide a moving average of signal strength over about the last 20 seconds, so it takes them 20 seconds to catch up. Likewise, after releasing the death grip, it takes another 20 seconds for the bars indicator to be fully restored, even though data transmission resumes immediately.