Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 181 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I don't recall reading a single post where someone was bashed because they detailed their own experience with a broken iPhone. There are even posters who have tested all the phones in an Apple Store and found all of them having the same issue. Despite being anecdotal, they were stated civilly and tested in a more or less scientific way that furthers the obvious fact that there are iPhone 4s with reception problems.

Quote:

"You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby."

Again, I don't recall any civilized posters with reception problems being called "crybabies" or anything similar. If you have a problem, you return it. I certainly wouldn't put up that that issue. Knowing that there are iPhone 4s without this issue I wouldn't be satisfied with simply waiting for the SW fix rumoured for this Monday. I'd get a replacement phone, plain and simple.

Theories are not fact!

The only ones being called out are the ones trolling the forums making exaggerated hyperbolisms with absolute claims of worst-case-scenerio reasons, despite not owning and likely never even seeing the device in person. That is the only defense I've seen, and it has nothing to do with Apple but with defending logic and reason in the face of irrational unjustifiable assertions.
  • Reply 182 of 613
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Thank you

Quote:

OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.

1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.

It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.

2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".

3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.

But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.

4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.

It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.

• Reply 183 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You can't just say you are holding it wrong when Steve in his keynote does the exact same thing. If this were any other company but Apple they would get a very public media bashing from everyone!

If this was any other company than Apple nobody would give a rat's ass.
  • Reply 184 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Theories are not fact!

The only ones being called out are the ones trolling the forums making exaggerated hyperbolisms with absolute claims of worst-case-scenerio reasons, despite not owning and likely never even seeing the device in person. That is the only defense I've seen, and it has nothing to do with Apple but with defending logic and reason in the face of irrational unjustifiable assertions.

Exactly.

Thank you.
  • Reply 185 of 613
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this was any other company than Apple nobody would give a rat's ass.

You have a very good point there BTW.....

Apple does create a media buzz...but it seems they get a pass on the bad buzz....can you imagine if MS released a phone to such hype (i know wouldn't happen) and then it had these problems?

What kind of posts would we see here detailing how inept MS was and how it should have been fleshed out in R&D and live person testing (like in bars! :-))

Can you imagine Balmer or Gates during the launch of such a phone holding in his hands one way while doing his demo.....then coming out and publicly saying this was the WRONG way to hold the phone when the whole keynote presentation clearly shows everyone holding it the wrong way?

watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU
  • Reply 186 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Exactly.

Thank you.

I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.

BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!

Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...

Now to get full functionality of my iPhone 4 I have to BUY a $30 rubber bumper?????

That is just wrong!!!!! There is no way anyone can defend this glitch!!

My iPhone 3Gs worked flawlessly no matter how I held it.

And to think I waited 4 hours in 100 degree Arizona heat to get this design flaw.
  • Reply 187 of 613
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I don't think the problem is the new antenna on the iPhone 4. I have a 3GS upgraded to iOS4 and I can replicate the exact same problem. I never had this happen with iPhone OS 3.x. Then again, I wasn't purposely trying to cause the problem either.
  • Reply 188 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

I don't think the problem is the new antenna on the iPhone 4. I have a 3GS upgraded to iOS4 and I can replicate the exact same problem. I never had this happen with iPhone OS 3.x. Then again, I wasn't purposely trying to cause the problem either.

I hope you are correct and they can release an update to correct the issue......

That would be ideal! :-)
  • Reply 189 of 613
    Now I am a big fan of Apple products. Coming over from the dark side about 2 years ago I will discuss the merits of Apple technology with anyone and despite the snide remarks from Apple haters I remain polite and civil - I don't care if they have a strong emotional dislike for Cupertino's creations - I like the Apple products I have because of what they do and how they do it.

This position is made difficult by the frankly ridiculous comments being made here downplaying obvious issues that a material number of customers are having with their new iPhone. If they do not have a problem then fine - they don't have a problem. But to then attack and troll those who are experiencing issues is such an amazing own goal against the company that they purport to support that it is not outside the realms of possibility that it is they who are the Apple haters masquerading as fans.

So can everyone calm down a bit. I am trying to decide whether or not to spend a significant amount of money upgrading my 3G and frankly what is going to make me and other like me commit is some constructive conclusions about what is causing this issue and how it will be resolved. If I spend 500 pound sterling on a phone I do not want to be in a lottery to see if it functions effectively as a phone or not. Apologists like DED and articles using words like hysteria do nothing to change the facts that a company that has long prided itself on the high quality on its products and their interface with the user should not be making stupid statements about how the phone should be held. All said this is a mobile phone and there are some basic things a mobile phone should do in 2010 - the main one is to make and receive telephone calls reliably.
  • Reply 190 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Surely it's bad management to admit to ANYTHING without taking the time properly evaluate the situation. Blindly agreeing with some random people would arguably be a sign of very poor management and decision making skills. What COMPETENT manager would back themselves into a corner without the means of walking out of that corner?

It needs to be looked at carefully, not have totally flailing around with un-coordinated responses leading to no clear message being given.

exactly.
  • Reply 191 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!

Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...

I have seen no poster here or elsewhere defend Jobs comment.

Quote:

My iPhone 3Gs worked flawlessly no matter how I held it.

How easy we forget. Apparently you don't remember last year and the two years before that with the iPhone reception issues. There is a long standing joke about the iPhone can do anything but make a phone call, but now you are claiming that 3GS (or 3Gs) have had no reception issues! That isn't just a claim that the previous iPhones were "flawless, but that AT&T and other carriers had no reception issues that could affect the iPhone's reception. You may want to rewrite that sentence because we both know it's not true.

Quote:

And to think I waited 4 hours in 100 degree Arizona heat to get this design flaw.

You had me going there at the beginning of your post. I thought you were trying to be objective, but then moved into falsehoods about previous iPhones not have reception issues despite clear evidence (even in this forum) that they do have signal attenuation when an object blocks the signal, but then move into the same trollish absolutism that it must be a design flaw and therefore a defect of all iPhone 4s, despite no such proof, and completely discounting the possibility that it could be a manufacturing issue. Seriously, shame on you.
  • Reply 192 of 613
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,968member
    I am anticipating that trolls and haters will shortly begin a new line of attack: that Apple will change the display bars without fixing the underlying problem. The display will show 5 bars when the actual signal strength is 2 or 3 bars. Maybe they already have and I missed them.
  • Reply 193 of 613
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    There is a problem is that the iPhone 4 is not delivering the level of excellence we have come to expect from Apple products. Whether this expectation is from past experience, Apple's own promises, media hype or anything else is irrelevant.

Yes, the "workaround" for the problem is holding the phone a different way or buying a cover.

The "solution" for the problem must still be provided by Apple. 9 times out of 10, they've responded well to such a challenge. Time will tell.

What we're seeing here with fans of Apple or Android is no different that what we see with Democrats and Republicans. Too much time is being spent on playing "gotcha" against the "other side" instead of having intelligent and honest conversation to make things better for everyone.
  • Reply 194 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaduGrama View Post

I hope they fix the broken bluetooth in 4.0.1 as well... Can't connect to my car any longer and it seems that there's a lot of people out there experiencing the same issue.

Sorry you are having problems. It connected to my car without a hitch. Took about 20 seconds.

"A lot of people"? I did a quick search through the posts and could find no other problems with Bluetooth syncing.
  • Reply 195 of 613
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Glenn Beck? Perhaps that's an American thing. You should explain.

Disingenuous? Hardly. I've already outed myself as being in the business.

I'm not discrediting AI at all. AI isn't Daniel Eran Dilger and his aliases.

I am pointing out that DED isn't an unbiased source of info though. Actually, if anyone here has paid some real attention to what he says and the inflammatory language he uses to say it, it would be really obvious to them. But hey... best you look at a few of his pieces and then tell me you disagree.

So you're wrong. My motives are exactly the same as yours - I feel the desire to express my opinions on a blog. I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now. But I own a beachfront cabin on a nice bay. (OK. It's a share. I don't own the whole thing).

I posted here after lurking for some years because this time Apple has fücked up and I can't believe that there are a core of people who are defending it. Like somehow it's OK to design some crummy unApple piece of kit and pretend that it's ok. It's not.

So I add my voice to the Apple customers who want to express the view that if there's a design fault in the iP4, Apple needs to come clean and fix it. Really fix it. Not apply some bandaid.

And of course to point out that DED is as much a journalist as I am. Which is to say, not.

But you needn't believe me. I'll remind people from time to time though.

I see that you are quite artful in dodging direct questions. Questions that deserve direct answers. Take this for instance:

Quote:

I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now.

You don't say if you are shorting Apple stock, you don't say if you own competitor's stock, you give no sense of how much "much" is. And you still refuse to divulge who you work for. This is hypocrisy indeed!

And, I also note that you still haven't denied your involvement with Glenn Beck in the murder of a girl in 1990. Very clever to use words that imply you don't know him without actually coming right out and denying your association with him.

You sir, look guiltier and guiltier by the second.
  • Reply 196 of 613
    Quote:

I have seen no poster here or elsewhere defend Jobs comment.

How easy we forget. Apparently you don't remember last year and the two years before that with the iPhone reception issues. There is a long standing joke about the iPhone can do anything but make a phone call, but now you are claiming that 3GS (or 3Gs) have had no reception issues! That isn't just a claim that the previous iPhones were "flawless, but that AT&T and other carriers had no reception issues that could affect the iPhone's reception. You may want to rewrite that sentence because we both know it's not true.

You had me going there at the beginning of your post. I thought you were trying to be objective, but then moved into falsehoods about previous iPhones not have reception issues despite clear evidence (even in this forum) that they do have signal attenuation when an object blocks the signal, but then move into the same trollish absolutism that it must be a design flaw and therefore a defect of all iPhone 4s, despite no such proof, and completely discounting the possibility that it could be a manufacturing issue. Seriously, shame on you.

Wow...So I had a 3Gs and it worked perfectly for me. I could hold it anyway I could hold it anyway I wanted. I could make calls and receive calls without issue.

I upgraded to a new iPhone 4. Now if I use my new phone exactly like my old phone I loose my signal. I am not comparing it to any other phone in the world or any other carrier in the world. My situation is that my 3Gs work great. My 4G looses signal if I hold it wrong. If I hold it exactly like Steve did in his keynote presentation I loose signal.

So I post about this issue here and now you are labeling me a troll? Did I get that part right? I did not post about any other situation. I did not post claiming Apple is doomed!

I did not post about how evil Steve was and put Apple down. Apple clearly has a problem with the 4G. The reports are all over the internet...some can be discounted and just plain negative hype but when you see that many reports then there is some fact to it...Apple customer are not just making it up.

So don't present me negatively because I am reporting that I have the signal loss issue. I am speaking from first hand experience. It is happening to me...

Checkout the Apple Support forums. There are others with the same issue.

But take the posts in the forums with a grain of salt...They do not generally post on the support forms to say all is well...

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1378
  • Reply 197 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am confused. How come none of the reviewers - David Pogue, Walt Mossberg, … - weren't having these issues?

Untill iPhone 5 we'll have to make pinched phone calls. It's yet another way to distinguish ourselves from the "others" making grabbed phone calls.

(1) The Pinch = using your Thumb, Index and Middle Finger (very feminine & sophisticated)

(2) The Grab = using your Hand (very masculine and android)

(3) The Earplugs = handsfree phone calls

(4) The Bumper = if you can't help but to grab your phone (like a REAL man). Agree, Apple should give one for free, or 30$ for a six pack with different colors.

Mossberg did mention it. He also said it didn't affect the call quality: - June 20, 2010-

"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars. However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this."
  • Reply 198 of 613
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

I don't recall reading a single post where someone was bashed because they detailed their own experience with a broken iPhone. There are even posters who have tested all the phones in an Apple Store and found all of them having the same issue. Despite being anecdotal, they were stated civilly and tested in a more or less scientific way that furthers the obvious fact that there are iPhone 4s with reception problems.

Again, I don't recall any civilized posters with reception problems being called "crybabies" or anything similar. If you have a problem, you return it. I certainly wouldn't put up that that issue. Knowing that there are iPhone 4s without this issue I wouldn't be satisfied with simply waiting for the SW fix rumoured for this Monday. I'd get a replacement phone, plain and simple.

Theories are not fact!

Just in this thread. I could go dig through the other threads as well, but I'm tired and hot from running errands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

At least the iPhone haters had their fun. Hopefully, the iPhone faithful will have the last laugh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Unfortunately a number of under achievers are superb whiners. If they had ever achieved anything in their life, they would be holding it up as the way to to things right. None have.

Until they solve the problem, the whiners will get their chance to demonstrate their prowess at complaining about the achievements of others.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Yeah, flawless. I dont sit here and bitch about little "issues" which are really non-issues. Mine has worked well beyond my expectations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

I'm sorry to say but to all your Americans, having a fit over the "death grip", you are all stupid.

Stop over-reacting to silly little made up problems, silly girls!

• Reply 199 of 613
    Quote:

Just in this thread. I could go dig through the other threads as well, but I'm tired and hot from running errands.

The last two I'll give you. They can be construed as pointing to anyone with the issue as being whiners, but the first two read to me as focusing on those simply complaining to complain.
  • Reply 200 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slocummedia View Post

This issue is FRONT PAGE of all major newspapers...

Wrong. On Saturday, the LA Times has no such story on the front page. Neither does the Orange County Register. Nor the San Jose Mercury News.

http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/A1.pdf

The Mercury News did have a glowing review of the iPhone 4 and did have a short mention of reception problems:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...nclick_check=1

I did notice a few times that holding my hand over the small black lines on the sides of the iPhone would lower its call signal strength a bit. But despite complaints to the contrary on Apple's customer support website, this didn't seem to affect call quality.

Despite the network issues, the iPhone 4 is a superb smartphone that makes most competing devices look old and boring. Whether you've been longing for an iPhone but haven't taken the plunge, or you already own an older model, you may not be able to resist the pull of Apple's latest — and greatest — iPhone hat trick.