Limited iPhone 4 stock viewed as 'competitive risk' for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Over 75% of initial sales were repeat iPhone customers. First that indicates that the previous versions were good enough to get the customers back into the fold.

Second it makes it pretty difficult to argue that these customers will be moving to a different platform if they have to wait for their phone.

As for the other 20% - only those who are in a major need for a mobile phone fast will look around, or borrow a loaner for a short time.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Nonsense. It's a real concern. Blindness to the concern does not make unreal.

It's a real concern if you care more about short-term quarterly profits. There was a story out a few days ago that 77% of iPhone 4 buyers are repeat buyers. People are camping out in lines overnight. People have invested money in apps that they are not going to just throw away.

Over the long haul, these supply disruptions are not even a small chink in the armor.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's more than just technology, everything I have is down. I haven't had time to look at all the financial news, is there one specific reason for this drop today?

Several major reasons (rather than one discrete problem) which is why it's a broad market decline.

It first started with an Asian index that forecasts China's economy was revised lower; that fanned fears of a global economic slowdown. Then Greek workers walked off the job in protest of budget cuts. Followed by a drop in U.S. consumer confidence in June.

So really multiple bits of bad news around the globe, which is why the selloff is so strong. If it were one specific reason, part of the globe would shrug it off.

All global markets are skidding today.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post

It is a negligible number of people, and it is these people of which the analysts are talking.

You don't know if the numbers are negligible. Nobody does really. All we know for certain is that the inability to make products that people are ready to buy is a lost opportunity. It is a gift to your competitors.

A long time ago I heard Bill Gates articulate one of the simplest but most powerful basics of business that I believe few fully comprehend: A sale you make counts twice, because it is also a sale not made to one of your competitors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Probably 2-3%.

Things like broad market declines, the Greek debt fiasco, or the entire tech sector getting hammered simply don't register with these people. Being up to date on current affairs isn't part of their worldview.

Quote:

It's more than just technology, everything I have is down. I haven't had time to look at all the financial news, is there one specific reason for this drop today?

The Dow was down about 200 at the opening this morning. Europe was already falling when the US markets opened. Seems like the big story today is the European debt crisis, but I've always found that most explanations for single day market moves are entirely after the fact. They need a storyline, so the media retreads an old story. The macro story is that the world economy still sucks and the danger of a double dip recession is very real. Investors are very nervous, and huge amounts of cash are idling on the sidelines invested in short term debt.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

It's a real concern if you care more about short-term quarterly profits. There was a story out a few days ago that 77% of iPhone 4 buyers are repeat buyers. People are camping out in lines overnight. People have invested money in apps that they are not going to just throw away.

Over the long haul, these supply disruptions are not even a small chink in the armor.

You can hope so, but you really can't know it. As I said, every sale Apple loses, however many that is, goes to a competitor, so it hurts them twice. Yes, this matters, and no, it's not just a short-term concern. Apple cares very much about quarterly profits. Believe it or not, quarterly profit is the name of the game. Do you know of any other measure of business success?

As for those stats, they've been discussed to death and beyond. The people who line up at Apple stores overnight are not representative of the public at large. They are the most dedicated fans. (This isn't obvious?) They are not the people who are just thinking about buying an iPhone. These people don't camp out in parking lots overnight. They expect to be able to walk into a store and buy the phone when they want the phone. If the iPhone isn't there to buy, they might very well walk away with something else. Business 101.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Three weeks of backorders on introduction really isn't that terrible in light of how big of a hit it's turned out to be. I would only worry about it if it stays like that for a sustained period and they haven't added more capacity. Even then, it's a lot of money to be made from one product.

Quote:

Yes, it looks like all sectors are down a lot.

http://www.google.com/finance

Scroll down to sector summary, sorry, I didn't find a direct link to that part of the page.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Several major reasons (rather than one discrete problem) which is why it's a broad market decline.

It first started with an Asian index that forecasts China's economy was revised lower. Then Greek workers walked off the job in protest of budget cuts. Followed by a drop in U.S. consumer confidence in June.

So really multiple bits of bad news around the globe, which is why the selloff is so strong. If it were one specific reason, part of the globe would shrug it off.

All global markets are skidding today.

Your summary sounds about right:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...WZGdQD9GL1BKG0

In other words, people having a cow.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

All we know for certain is that the inability to make products that people are ready to buy is a lost opportunity. It is a gift to your competitors.

So? You count the pennies and Apple will count the dollars. This game is not in the penny-counting stage, and if a few fall off the table Apple shouldn't go chasing for them at the expense of the bigger picture. There's no "gift" to a competitor here, because there's no competition!

Quote:

A long time ago I heard Bill Gates articulate one of the simplest but most powerful basics of business that I believe few fully comprehend: A sale you make counts twice, because it is also a sale not made to one of your competitors.

The Dow was down about 200 at the opening this morning...The macro story is that the world economy still sucks and the danger of a double dip recession is very real. Investors are very nervous, and huge amounts of cash are idling on the sidelines invested in short term debt.

The danger of a double dip is nil, the world economy is in a lot better shape than the Right Wing would have us believe, and while investors are presently nervous they also don't want to be left behind when the train leaves the station. Fear versus greed is still the operative equation, and the fear is mostly just from folks hyping it that have either financial things to gain (shorts) or political things to gain (wingers and tp'ers).

In any case, Apple is immune to all this, as will shortly be shown to be the case. Their quarterly report is due in a few days and it'll blow the socks off of people.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

There was a story out a few days ago that 77% of iPhone 4 buyers are repeat buyers

a bit off-topic, but this is why Apple's 100 Million unit installed base is total BS. i'm on my 5th iPhone. if EVERYONE were in my circumstance, there would be a 20 million unit installed base. at the very lest this number should be 1/2 of what's boasted.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    And would Apple have lost more sales if they had delayed the launch? Take into account Apple only launched in a few countries too. Here in Canada, there's still no release date only speculation that it will be late July. I think the majority of people who really want an iPhone 4 will wait.

jm2c $CAD
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

In any case, Apple is immune to all this, as will shortly be shown to be the case. Their quarterly report is due in a few days and it'll blow the socks off of people.

Something I just remembered, I think Apple still counts iPhone earnings over a period of two years rather than at the sale. I expect Apple to do very well, but the dollar figures probably won't show an otherwise expected huge inrush from iPhone 4 because of that accounting. They will probably give an updated unit sales figure though.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:

Absolutely true. I can say that I haven't bothered to waste a second of my life waiting in line yet again for a telephone. 1 sale lost. I am not the only one.

First iPhone out, ok, but this perennial supply issue makes Apple look incompetent, not popular.

And yes, consumers get tired of lines and consider alternatives.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

a bit off-topic, but this is why Apple's 100 Million unit installed base is total BS. i'm on my 5th iPhone. if EVERYONE were in my circumstance, there would be a 20 million unit installed base. at the very lest this number should be 1/2 of what's boasted.

I don't expect a lot of those sales would have to mean that the replaced devices are idled. They're still of value, and it seems like a lot of them are sold or handed down to another family member.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

So? You count the pennies and Apple will count the dollars. This game is not in the penny-counting stage, and if a few fall off the table Apple shouldn't go chasing for them at the expense of the bigger picture. There's no "gift" to a competitor here, because there's no competition!

Of course it's a gift to competitors. Again, Business 101. There is no "bigger picture." This is the picture. You are looking right at it. If the analyst's figures are even close to correct, Apple may have left as many as 500,000 iPhone sales on the table in three days. No matter how much you would like to brush this off as "pennies" it is not small beans if even half buy another product instead. And you can be 100% certain that Apple doesn't view this as not a problem. They know it is, even if you don't.

Quote:

The danger of a double dip is nil, the world economy is in a lot better shape than the Right Wing would have us believe, and while investors are presently nervous they also don't want to be left behind when the train leaves the station. Fear versus greed is still the operative equation, and the fear is mostly just from folks hyping it that have either financial things to gain (shorts) or political things to gain (wingers and tp'ers).

Nil? The right wing? Good god. This isn't any more about politics than potentially losing hundreds of thousands of sales is about "pennies." It's about stagnant economic conditions. It's about a spreading debt crisis that nobody knows how will be resolved.

Apple's results will be great. Nice prediction. Will the sun also rise in the east?
  • Reply 34 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

What happened to the other 4 iPHones? If someone is using them, they're still included in the installed base.

The only ones that would no longer be part of the installed base are those which are broken - a much smaller figure than your 80%.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Absolutely true. I can say that I haven't bothered to waste a second of my life waiting in line yet again for a telephone. 1 sale lost. I am not the only one.

First iPhone out, ok, but this perennial supply issue makes Apple look incompetent, not popular.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I might buy one when the supply starts showing up. I won't wait in lines either. I don't have a burning desire for a new phone now, or I'd probably have bought something else.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

You're not the only one, but we don't know if it's going to be a big problem or not.

Quote:

Maybe look incompetent, whether it is might be a different matter, initial orders for each successive model have been surpassing expectations by leaps and bounds. The iPhone line appears to be the most popular phone model ever, taken from the RAZR mantle two years ago. To compare it in the broader consumer electronics market, Apple has sold more iOS devices than Nintendo has sold Wii, a product that was continually in short supply for months or years on end. I don't know what CE products have been more popular, more DS have been sold, but DS has been out for three more years too.

Quote:

I don't know if you've noticed, but standing in lines aren't the only way to order an iPhone. I didn't stand in line for the 3G and I'm not standing in line for iPhone 4. That doesn't mean a sale has been lost, but it can be.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

...it is not small beans if even half buy another product instead.

Oh, please! HALF will buy another product because they won't wait a few weeks for a vastly superior product?

Quote:

Nil? The right wing? Good god. This isn't any more about politics than potentially losing hundreds of thousands of sales is about "pennies." It's about stagnant economic conditions.

WHAT stagnant economic conditions? The ones the righties are so interested in making everyone believe in? Go check Gallup if you don't believe me. http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx Underemployment is dropping like a rock and the Job Creation Index is higher than it's been since President Obama took office.

But don't let a little thing like facts stand in your way....
  • Reply 38 of 87
    Quote:

Does anyone remember when there were lines around the corner for Windows 95?

It's just a guess, but I'll bet that would be 1995.

Quote:

"Windows 95 was an event. People lined up for blocks outside computer stores (like Egghead) at midnight to get their copy of Microsoft's newest operating system."- Joe Wilcox, Jupiter Research

http://www.betanews.com/article/10-Y...red/1124901092

Quote:

After months of relentless hoopla, Windows 95 finally hit store shelves Thursday, and it looks like sales will live up to the blockbuster billing.

The first copies went on sale after midnight Wednesday. A few hundred Houstonians lined up outside several local stores, staring hopefully through the display windows at the high-tech prize waiting inside.

"I see I'm not the only crazy person," one man yelled as he stepped to the back of the line.

At the stroke of midnight, they rushed inside to snag Windows 95 the very first moment Microsoft allowed them to get near it.

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arch...ars_of_wi.html
  • Reply 39 of 87
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Does it really matter if they sold 2.5 million on launch or 2.5 million two weeks after launch?

No it doesn't! What matters to Apple is that they "SELL THEM DAMN PHONES". Period. End of!

And believe me there ain't one Apple fanboy running to buy that HTC EVO crap over the iphone and its powerful, near seamless media ecosystem. I for one am waiting for all the hoopla to die down before getting my iphone 4. I live on Miami Beach and I hate going to my local Apple store during the weekend and when a hot product drops. Too many middle class lemmings and their freaking children. GOD! I swear the next time I see a parent bring their kid to the store dressed in a princess outfit, tiara and a wand to complete the look, I'm going ape sh**!

And don't let the kid have on ballerina flats and twirl between two geniuses. Oh sh**!

I'll filed goal her little a** straight out the store. LOL!

PS

Screw the so-called lawsuit that's about to go down over the reception issue.

GET A DAMN BUMPER!
  • Reply 40 of 87
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

hmmm?.. Maybe you should watch this.

Maybe you should watch this.