AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Comments

• Reply 161 of 213
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Thank you!!! and that's why I only just registered today to comment back on some of the BS people are just screaming for the sake of it.

Seriously, it's bad? you unhappy? return it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

This is getting silly...

Seemingly the same group of folks on this Forum are screaming at Apple here... The Sky Is Falling...

Others say what I've been thinking:

Shut Up and Return It? But the screamers don't seem to respond to that! So then I wonder:

what do they really want? Are they trolls, or whatever?

Then there are those who try to recreate this issue and can't! The funniest yet was the guy whose wife had this issue with 2 of their phones, but the guy/husband can't recreate this issue, and same goes for most others who have bought this product which is hardly available because of the huge demand!

Most people use iPhone with Cases! Many use it with Hands-free Ear Pieces, wired or Bluetooth, thus this issue won't come up in those cases!

Of course there are always those to whom Steve Jobs is a Devil..., and so they wish him, a cancer survivor, a speedy death, or so it seems from their venomous comments!

So... If most people are not having this issue, and Apple can't meet the demand, is it fair to be demanding free Bumpers?

Apple refuses to be dragged into this topic, as they are likely working on a fix...

Apple doesn't want to acknowledge this as a problem, cause they don't feel that it is!

Apple's Refund Policy allows for Return of their products, and I assume that includes item!

So, by dealing with this the way Apple is, Apple is calling some people's bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund...

People are free to buy another phone, or design their own!

As I've read some antenna expert:

It's always a trade off! Apple took this antenna to the edge for better reception, because they understand that most people will use the case, and or Hands-Free!

With all the conflicting reports, plus no problem for most people, it's hard to know what the best fix would be!

I am getting suspicious of the same names here SCREAMING at Apple!

Again I say:

Apple is calling your bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund!

Buy another phone, or design their own!

Reason why Apple is so good because the people who are screaming, come together as a group and cause the SJ/Exec team sit up and listen to the concerns. So please do not try and stop people from screaming, since I can bet you grumbled/screamed about some product that was not to your satisfaction, we all have. Thats are RIGHT as the consumer and spending our hard earned money!

Each to their own and voice your opinions!

If you do not like the screaming and comments, then leave the discussion thread
  • Reply 162 of 213
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Reason why Apple is so good because the people who are screaming, come together as a group and cause the SJ/Exec team sit up and listen to the concerns. So please do not try and stop people from screaming, since I can bet you grumbled/screamed about some product that was not to your satisfaction, we all have. Thats are RIGHT as the consumer and spending our hard earned money!

Each to their own and voice your opinions!

If you do not like the screaming and comments, then leave the discussion thread

Yeah!!!! Scream it up then Apple will take notice.

BTW just got my iPad wooooooooooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPad with no apparent reception issues.
  • Reply 163 of 213
    Hi All,

For all the apple haters and MS lovers, this should cook your goose, if you using this issue has reason to say Apple is no better than MS.

see admission of Apple quality over MS by MS employees!

http://www.crn.com/software/225701869
  • Reply 164 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah!!!! Scream it up then Apple will take notice.

BTW just got my iPad wooooooooooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPad with no apparent reception issues.

I really dislike you iPad not in India until 2011? btw if you get caught bringing one into the country it is 36% tax charge on the original cost.
  • Reply 165 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I've read them, and seen a headline about it on every single major news outlet. Since the phone works better than the previous gen for me there is no waaaaaaay it's more than anything other than hysterics.

Some indications point to Apple working on a solution as you are reading this: http://whitehatfirm.com/news/apple-w...blem/3077.html
  • Reply 166 of 213
    sourcersourcer Posts: 12member
    Hi All,

Fresh noob here so go easy

Doesn't having to wear a bumper negate how fantastic the phone looks? i.e. slimmer etc
  • Reply 167 of 213
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I really dislike you iPad not in India until 2011? btw if you get caught bringing one into the country it is 36% tax charge on the original cost.

iPad not coming to Malaysia until gawd knows when. Just got it from local tech trading forum. Luckily most of these guys bringing the iPad in don't get taxed because it's considered computer item and not taxed when bringing into Malaysia. AFAIK. Only risk is that if something goes wrong then I have to get the "dealer" to try and send it back to the USA to claim the warranty.

iPhone is all great and that but iPad really is a new computing platform, a new paradigm. Sure it's only iOS right now, but in the next few years it will become more and more powerful, you can see Apple is really committed to this. Macs will still be important but will become more and more consumer oriented and OSX will start to be heavily influenced by iOS.
  • Reply 168 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Also, using electrical tape on your phone seems a bit... ridiculous. But I assume this is acceptable since it's by Apple, not the competition.

It's a temporary fix while waiting for the software update that Apple told Mossberg would be forthcoming.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Apropos of nothing, but...

Those rabid Apple-hating denizens at MacDailyNews have a poll on the reception issue, the results at the time of my visit following:

No issues - iP4 - 43.7%

No issues - 3Gs - 19.6%

No issues - 3G - 10.8%

Issues - iP4 - 21.2%

Issues - 3Gs - 2.9%

Issues - 3G - 1.8%

All phones running iOS 4

Total of 1746 votes

Make of that what you will but I doubt that we're looking at 1%-ish numbers. And nope, I have no idea why the poll was constructed as it was. Interesting that the 3G and 3Gs "issues" are much lower proportionally than the 3G and 3Gs "no issues" numbers. Which seems to suggest that the 3G and 3Gs are much less prone to reception problems than some believe.

In the end though, it's hardly scientific. Intriguing maybe...

Not even close to scientific. Who is more likely to read an article on iPhone reception problems? Those who have the problem or those who don't? It's called a self-selecting sample.

More importantly, it doesn't even address the real issue that's ignore. Yes, a lot of people can duplicate the problem when they set out to do so. But how many of them really have a problem when holding the phone normally to make a call? I can duplicate the problem if I try, but when I make a phone call, my hand is nowhere near the key location - and my call stability is much better than my previous iPhone.
  • Reply 169 of 213
    Why is everybody making such a big deal about this, I have had absolutely no problems with my iPhne 4 and I am also left handed. I think this all sounds like sour grapes on behalf of the competition and others are just jumping on the bandwagon using poor signal as a design issue instead of just admitting that the problem is a network problem.

This is getting so ridiculous I heard someone on the radio here in the UK today complaining about the signal problem who admitted that he doesn't even have or even seen the iPhone 4.

This is a great product everything works perfectly and I have an iphone 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPad 3G and the iPhone 4 is by far more superior
  • Reply 170 of 213
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amazingdm View Post

Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.

Seconded...

I still find it really hard to believe that people are in such a tizzy about this. Just buy a stinking case and be done with it. You're still going to be getting the best damn phone on the market today. Just pony up $25 and stop all the stupid whining.

Sorry about that. I'm normally not quite so blunt, but this has just gone on way too long. If the antenna is such a huge deal breaker, then don't buy the phone. Otherwise, buy a case and shut up already.
  • Reply 171 of 213
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Apple hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason

Maybe they should have done that the first time
  • Reply 172 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

steve jobs is demonstrating apples newest product called: iTheft, a magical new way of gaining access to consumers' wallets.

Looks like it is time to return all of these iphones and join the Class Action Law Suit that has been filed.

here: http://www.kcrlegal.com/iPhone-reception-problems.aspx

If your Fascist-Dictator jobs told All you fanibois to eat his sh$t y'all would kneel and gobble. I think jobs second-hand liver has failed and all the toxins have gone to his brain, and this is why he has become a bigger aHole than he use to be.

OK genius... If you return the iPhone 4 for a refund, what exactly is your justification for participating in the class action case?
  • Reply 173 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason

Maybe they should have done that the first time

They probably did have people at these positions. Chances are Jobs fired the team that worked on the antenna system.
  • Reply 174 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by motrek View Post

Apple, you have to pick one:

1) All cell phones have this problem, it's a fact of life, nothing can be done

OR

2) This is a problem that can be solved with a small ring of plastic

You can't have it both ways. Idiots. And if the problem is solved with a small ring of plastic, then why isn't that PART OF THE DESIGN OF THE PHONE?

Actually, no they don't. There are two separate problems that are actually being lumped together as one. The first problem you list the argument for is simple signal attenuation due to covering the area of the phone that houses the antenna. This is the problem that would exist with any phone to some degree. Radio signals don't travel very well through water unless at very low frequency. The human body being composed primarily of water well do a great job attenuating a cell phone signal under the right conditions.

The second issue that you sarcastically speak of is the creation of a short between the antennas. This is created by physical contact with the antennas. One big reason that some people have this problem and others don't is that the conductivity of the human body varies greatly. This is why someone posted that he has never been able to make this happen on either of his phones but his wife can make it happen on both. This is also the reason that the bumpers eliminate this particular problem but do nothing for actual signal attenuation.

So, you should be able to see that Apple can easily have it both ways. The thing Apple is guilty of here is not doing a better job in clarifying the issues. There are two issues working here, and one can indeed be solved by the bumpers or any other case for that matter. The other issue is simple physics and the last time I checked we are all pretty much stuck with that. So next time you may want to be a bit more cautious before you start accusing people of being idiots.
  • Reply 175 of 213
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    AnandTech detailed analysis of the iPhone4 antenna :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
  • Reply 176 of 213
    I too have tried to replicate this problem, and I can't. My phone works fine, and I don't have a case on it.
  • Reply 177 of 213
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I can understand saying no to free bumbers, but telling people they hold their phone the wrong way is not a good thing to say to your customers. Say somethng like its true that holding iPhone a certain way is not the best practice and that they will work to help make it better, but don't tell people who paid for the phone that they are wrong. Customer is always right, even when they are wrong.

I disagree, as Herb Kelleher said: "the customer is not always right, and sometimes the customer is wrong". He's one of my favorite entrepreneurs. The airline that actually gives a genuine shit about their customers. They even drive you home personally if you're not feeling well. But if you're a trouble-maker they ban you for life. So decent costumers don't have to put up with you.

In this particular instance however, the customer is simply trying to hold their phone, so they are most definitely not "wrong".
  • Reply 178 of 213
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m3centurion View Post

Why is everybody making such a big deal about this, I have had absolutely no problems with my iPhne 4 and I am also left handed. I think this all sounds like sour grapes on behalf of the competition and others are just jumping on the bandwagon using poor signal as a design issue instead of just admitting that the problem is a network problem.

This is getting so ridiculous I heard someone on the radio here in the UK today complaining about the signal problem who admitted that he doesn't even have or even seen the iPhone 4.

This is a great product everything works perfectly and I have an iphone 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPad 3G and the iPhone 4 is by far more superior

Just got my phone yesterday and I'm happy to report that I can't reproduce the signal issue with any consistency (if at all). I tried last night by placing my finger over the seam on the lower left side and it took almost 20 seconds to lose 1 bar. After waiting another ten seconds and not losing any more bars, I pulled my finger away from the seam and the bar did not return. The bar finally came back about a minute later. It seems to me it may even have been a normal signal fluctuation.

This morning, I showed the phone to a friend of mine/colleague. He held the phone in his left hand with the butt of his palm placed squarely across the seam for what must have been 10 minutes playing with various things and it didn't even lose 1 bar. As others have said, this is very un-scientific, but it certainly appears that not all phones seem to be affected.
  • Reply 179 of 213
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

As others have said, this is very un-scientific, but it certainly appears that not all phones seem to be affected.

All iPhone 4's are affected. There is a reason you are not seeing the issue at your particular location. Here's a new, detailed scientific test/review of the iPhone 4 antenna issue -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
  • Reply 180 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Actually, no they don't. There are two separate problems that are actually being lumped together as one. The first problem you list the argument for is simple signal attenuation due to covering the area of the phone that houses the antenna. This is the problem that would exist with any phone to some degree. Radio signals don't travel very well through water unless at very low frequency. The human body being composed primarily of water well do a great job attenuating a cell phone signal under the right conditions.

The second issue that you sarcastically speak of is the creation of a short between the antennas. This is created by physical contact with the antennas. One big reason that some people have this problem and others don't is that the conductivity of the human body varies greatly. This is why someone posted that he has never been able to make this happen on either of his phones but his wife can make it happen on both. This is also the reason that the bumpers eliminate this particular problem but do nothing for actual signal attenuation.

I think you may be right on this. It's best that we wait to see what happens if there is a software update in the next two weeks to alleviate the issue but I get the feeling it won't.

Throughout all of this, the impression I get is that Apple is a great computer company but an average, at best, phone maker. They can make great computer the size of a phone but they can't make a great phone.