Exclusive conversations with Steve Jobs up for sale

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

My post was more directed at those who say Apple isn't doing anything.

Gotcha. That last part wasn't directed at you specifically.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

When you are talking about such a complicated issue and complicated hardware (like wireless radios), coming up with a solution, much less understanding the problem, can take time. Apple has a lot of things going on judging by the demand for iPhones right now.

You gotta be patient.

I think what would calm down some people A LOT, is if Apple would officially acknowledged the more serious problem that some folks seem to be having with the signal degradation and eventual dropped calls just by holding their phones the same way they've been holding them for years.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    All the ones I have come into contact with have been perfectly useable. Even when used in a field with 200,000 people in it. The festival (Glastonbury) is notorious for people being unable to obtain a signal whatsoever. Yet steaming Youtube worked a charm and didn't fail once.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think what would calm down some people A LOT, is if Apple would officially acknowledged the more serious problem that some folks seem to be having with the signal degradation and eventual dropped calls just by holding their phones the same way they've been holding them for years.

The problem is that official acknowledgments are very risky as far as liability goes. Apple could open itself up to huge amounts of problems if their statements aren't accurate or specific enough. Plus they are useless without a solution time-frame. Just saying "we're working on it" doesn't help anybody anyway. Why invite unneeded risk at this game? Companies only admit this kind of stuff when it is absolutely necessary and when they have a complete picture. Anything else just doesn't help them and leaves them in reactionary mode.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    `` `I am really insulted? 'Calm down'?. 'rumors'? What arrogance," the user replied, "This is will be marked as the begging of the end of Apple. Seriously, DO THE RIGHT THING. I just had dinner with 3 people who had iPhone 4s we all cant make calls without dropping. There is no rumors it is reality.' ''

You'd think the man was foreign and English was his 4th language or something.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Seriously, return the phone! Buy an android or something worse.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    The head of a billion dollar corporation personally responds to you and you try and sell the email?

Yeah. Classy. Real Classy.

What an ultra maroon.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Seriously, return the phone! Buy an android or something worse.

I hear you can get a good deal on a kin.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

`` `I am really insulted? 'Calm down'?. 'rumors'? What arrogance," the user replied, "This is will be marked as the begging of the end of Apple. Seriously, DO THE RIGHT THING. I just had dinner with 3 people who had iPhone 4s we all cant make calls without dropping. There is no rumors it is reality.' ''

You'd think the man was foreign and English was his 4th language or something.

Unfortunately this is how average American writes.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

...to return the Phone. Honestly people, every single iPhone 4 sold at this point is within it's return policy. Do us all a favor and take it back and STFU.

It's embarrassing the amount of whining going on right now, no one is making you keep the thing.

It seems you have it backward. The people reporting reception problems are rationally motivated. They've just signed a multi-thousand dollar contract only to discover that the phone gets horrible reception. Other than the reception problem, the phone is awesome. I suspect most will get a case or are waiting to see if the problem will be addressed by apple.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of people here who are refusing to believe that this is a real problem despite the problem being easily reproducible by vast numbers of people spread across an entire continent.

Many of the people experiencing the problem, including myself, are people who are otherwise quite satisfied with apple. I love apple products. But the new iPhone does have reception problems. But here you are telling us to "shut the fuck up"?

Stop for a second and think. Is it my level-headed response that constitutes whining? Or is it your complaining and demand to "shut the fuck up" that should be considered whining?

Come on people, these are devoted apple followers that are experiencing and reporting reception issues. Sure, there are trolls mixed in as well, but the problem is still quite real.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

... On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of people here who are refusing to believe that this is a real problem despite the problem being easily reproducible by vast numbers of people spread across an entire continent.

... But here you are telling us to "shut the fuck up"?

I don't think there are actually very many people on these forums who are saying there are no real problems and telling people to stfu. That, at least, has not been my impression.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    balsakbalsak Posts: 17member
    Why do people brush this aside? You have to have some technical reason to return the phone without paying a significant restocking fee, and Apple doesn't consider this widespread defect to be one. Thats just absurd.

I know a couple people with iPhone 4s and all of them can demonstrate this defect. In fact one of them received a call, it dropped, and commented "oh, I forgot I had my hand on it wrong." How can you deal with that? I can't risk critical calls being dropped because I held the phone wrong!

Whats worse is that people are blowing this problem off like it can be fixed with a software update. How can you fix a fundamental design flaw with a software update? Its just making people hold off on returning the defective phone in false hopes of some magical software update saving the day.

Apple has always been design first, engineer later. Normally it pays off, this time it went horribly wrong. Apple set a thickness and built the phone around that, rather than establishing what would work and building on top of it. This is why the normal air gap between the antenna and the case protecting the antenna is not there.

I think Apple needs to tap into that $billions of cash and redesign the iPhone 4 for a revision. The entire thing was rushed, and the poor build quality just hurts Apple in the long run. I mean undried glue, blotched screens, extreme fragility, defective antennas? Its a disaster. It wont hurt iPhone 4 sales in the short term, but Apple should at least assure people it plans on doing something to correct this issue.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    jjojjo Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Seriously! This guy works at an advertising agency? His grammar and spelling would embarrass a

high school freshman.

It looks like mom and dad gave him a job.

Exactly what I was thinking. Headmaster Cramer should have helped him with his grammar while he was under that wing.

This whole thing is embarrassing on all fronts. Steve, Buford, and BGR.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

... How can you fix a fundamental design flaw with a software update? ...

Given that it does not seem to be a problem on all iP4s, it seems unlikely that it is a fundamental design flaw.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I have bought just about every apple product made in the last 20 years and this is the 1st time I am ashamed to be a MAC fan,"

Anyone who writes "Mac" in all caps is either woefully unfamiliar with Apple's products, or is simply ignorant.

First there was the Macintosh and its variants. Then the iMac, which then expanded to a line of products collectively known as "Macs" in all of Apple's press releases and annual reports. Anyone who professes 20 years of experience and doesn't know this either a liar or a moron.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

I think Apple needs to tap into that $billions of cash and redesign the iPhone 4 for a revision. The entire thing was rushed, and the poor build quality just hurts Apple in the long run. I mean undried glue, blotched screens, extreme fragility, defective antennas? Its a disaster. It wont hurt iPhone 4 sales in the short term, but Apple should at least assure people it plans on doing something to correct this issue.

I would hardly categorize the iPhone 4 as having "poor build quality". The "undried glue" and "blotched screens" were one and the same and they have largely disappeared. Yes, the phone is fragile due to the nature of it's design (glass front and back) but that hardly qualifies as "poor build quality". Lastly, the antenna itself isn't defective, but the fact that it comes in direct contact with the users hand which can have an adverse effect on reception is an issue. When I hold my phone in my right hand, my pinky ends up about a half inch above the lower left seam. As a result, holding the phone "normally" causes no problems for me. However, I will agree with you that Apple should, at this point, be a little bit more supportive of those folks who are having significant issues. What that would entail, I could only guess, but I imagine we'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I think it was just confirmed what we knew all along: Steve Jobs is an arrogant tool.

This guy cries that everyone in the country is experiencing horrible iPhone 4 reception, and STEVE'S the arrogant tool?

Please.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

No way anyone who has been buying and using Apple products for the past 20 years writes "MAC" instead of Mac. It's simply not possible. No. It's a common mistake made by PC users who have no experience with the Mac OS. If this guy is lying about being a long-time Apple customer, what else is he lying about?

Jobs needs to do a better job of screening which customers he replies to. This guy isn't worth it.

Right you are.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Anyone who professes 20 years of experience and doesn't know this either a liar or a moron.

It looks like he picked both.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It seems you have it backward. The people reporting reception problems are rationally motivated. They've just signed a multi-thousand dollar contract only to discover that the phone gets horrible reception. Other than the reception problem, the phone is awesome. I suspect most will get a case or are waiting to see if the problem will be addressed by apple.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of people here who are refusing to believe that this is a real problem despite the problem being easily reproducible by vast numbers of people spread across an entire continent.

Many of the people experiencing the problem, including myself, are people who are otherwise quite satisfied with apple. I love apple products. But the new iPhone does have reception problems. But here you are telling us to "shut the fuck up"?

Stop for a second and think. Is it my level-headed response that constitutes whining? Or is it your complaining and demand to "shut the fuck up" that should be considered whining?

Come on people, these are devoted apple followers that are experiencing and reporting reception issues. Sure, there are trolls mixed in as well, but the problem is still quite real.

Its not rational positions such as yours that are the problem. Its the over the top, sky is falling, 'Steve is a Nazi' attitude being exhibited that is so annoying.

If an issue requires that you not clutch the device with the self-described 'Death Grip', or move your finger a centimeter, then I hardly see that as the end-of-the-world until a week or two passes and things get properly sorted out.

I see that as the truly rational response.