Exclusive conversations with Steve Jobs up for sale

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

lol they are looking into it after Apple says it fake? Shouldn't they do it before they push the story?

You are trying to apply the rules of journalism to a gadget blog. It seems they are almost mutually exclusive.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

...to return the Phone. Honestly people, every single iPhone 4 sold at this point is within it's return policy. Do us all a favor and take it back and STFU.

It's embarrassing the amount of whining going on right now, no one is making you keep the thing.

Agree 100% !!!!! Bring it back for a refund and get an Evo or Droid X and stop complaining. Sadly some just like to complain.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Yeah so what? The iPhone 4 lost reception when he was holding it, that's the big issue here.

WiFI != 3G. The WiFi thing at WWDC is completely unrelated. WiFi doesn't cut out from touching the antenna. So, no, it's not part of the issue at all.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    Quote:

There clearly was a problem with receiving the data. My hunch is they fixed the bars to show full coverage on ATT even though it was dropping signal. They used wifi and thought they wouldn't have any problems with downloading because of that, but their modifications combined with the antenna problems screwed up their wifi. Serves them right too.

Do you think the Russian spies may have been involved too?
  • Reply 105 of 117
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

WiFI != 3G. The WiFi thing at WWDC is completely unrelated. WiFi doesn't cut out from touching the antenna. So, no, it's not part of the issue at all.

Did you even watch the video?

There may well have been wifi issues but at 26 seconds the iPhone 4 that SJ is holding loses it's cellular data. The wifi may well have malfunctioned due to all mifi's etc and that made the iP4 switch from wifi to cellular data and when it did that it wouldn't load because SJ was holding it wrong, no doubt because he thought he wouldn't have to worry about it because he was using wifi.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

lol they are looking into it after Apple says it fake? Shouldn't they do it before they push the story?

Where have you been for the last 20 years as journalism has disappeared (at least in the U.S.), only to be replaced by a million bloggers who don't have any interest in verification. In fact, the more bizarre the story, the greater their profits.

Quote:

Yeah so what? The iPhone 4 lost reception when he was holding it, that's the big issue here.

So? You've never seen a cell phone lose coverage before? Could have been a network issue, possibly simply a result of 5,000 people sitting in that room making calls and texting their observations.

I'm still waiting for any evidence that says that the iPhone 4 drops calls any more frequently than any other phone out there. So far, no one has provided that. IOW, all this ranting and whining is about the cosmetic issue (# of bars dropping) that has no real-world meaning.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where have you been for the last 20 years as journalism has disappeared (at least in the U.S.), only to be replaced by a million bloggers who don't have any interest in verification. In fact, the more bizarre the story, the greater their profits.

So? You've never seen a cell phone lose coverage before? Could have been a network issue, possibly simply a result of 5,000 people sitting in that room making calls and texting their observations.

I'm still waiting for any evidence that says that the iPhone 4 drops calls any more frequently than any other phone out there. So far, no one has provided that. IOW, all this ranting and whining is about the cosmetic issue (# of bars dropping) that has no real-world meaning.

Whatever.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

I hope that's the case, now more than ever: if this fella were telling the truth it wouldn't be too hard to verify the emails through their headers, and after a defamation suit from this denial Apple would be buying him a pretty nice house or two.

I trust the CNN article since the Apple employee (whatever his name was) was willing to go on the record (that?s how they phrased it folks). That is something that you don?t lie about unless you want to get into big trouble since it can easily bite you in the rear later.

Let?s just say I trust an Apple source on the record at CNN more than I do BGR.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    Quote:

Did you even watch the video?

There may well have been wifi issues but at 26 seconds the iPhone 4 that SJ is holding loses it's cellular data. The wifi may well have malfunctioned due to all mifi's etc and that made the iP4 switch from wifi to cellular data and when it did that it wouldn't load because SJ was holding it wrong, no doubt because he thought he wouldn't have to worry about it because he was using wifi.

I've seen the video, and that's not what happens when you lose cellular data, as you can clearly see in all the videos out there that demonstrate this. It's hard to read the dialog, but I believe that's the dialog that comes up indicating the phone/sim has not yet been activated with a carrier. It's not what you think it is.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

There clearly was a problem with receiving the data. My hunch is they fixed the bars to show full coverage on ATT even though it was dropping signal. They used wifi and thought they wouldn't have any problems with downloading because of that, but their modifications combined with the antenna problems screwed up their wifi. Serves them right too.

You have it exactly backwards. The Mossberg review and the results of most people who actually own phones say that the number of bars drops, but the phone still has a good connection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

I don't have an iPhone 4 (I've a very new 3GS), but if I did I certainly would not want to be told I had to hold it just-so. .

First, if you don't have an iPhone 4, you shouldn't be commenting on how well it works.

Second, you don't have to hold it 'just-so'. In fact, you have to hold it 'just-so' to create a problem. When you hold it normally (in either hand), it works fine. Cupping the bottom of the phone in the palm of your left hand is very awkward and not a natural process.

Quote:

No, your inability to get facts right is the issue. We don't know that the iPhone lost reception. We simply know that the number of bars dropped (Actually, we don't even know that - they may not have had 3G activated, but for the sake of argument, I'll accept it). There is a known flaw (see the Mossberg article) that says that the number of bars is inaccurate and will drop - even when there's still a good connection. You can not use the number of bars as an indicator of whether there's a good connection or not.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I've seen the video, and that's not what happens when you lose cellular data, as you can clearly see in all the videos out there that demonstrate this. It's hard to read the dialog, but I believe that's the dialog that comes up indicating the phone/sim has not yet been activated with a carrier. It's not what you think it is.

It is written "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."
  • Reply 112 of 117
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Second, you don't have to hold it 'just-so'. In fact, you have to hold it 'just-so' to create a problem. When you hold it normally (in either hand), it works fine. Cupping the bottom of the phone in the palm of your left hand is very awkward and not a natural process.

Funny that the anandtech tests are demonstrating that by holding it "the natural way" the iPhone 4 still have about TWO TIMES MORE(*) signal attenuation in db than the nexus one and about TEN TIMES MORE(*) signal attenuation than the iPhone 3GS... Like you put it in your rather insulting reply above to another user comment : "your inability to get facts right is the issue".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

* actually it is worse because the unit is dB
  • Reply 113 of 117
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Please, someone please explain it. Are we talking about the left screen? Is it just a TV? Computer monitor? A broadcast monitor? Right now, my money's on the left screen being a broadcast monitor, they tend to have all sorts of controls and dials, though I can't find that exact monitor model yet. And there's a regular flat panel computer monitor to the right of it.

Or is the complaint that it doesn't look like a Mac OS on the computer monitor? I'm not familiar with many video editing systems, it doesn't look like Final Cut, but there's not much to go from.

My comment had to do with the machine on the left, which is likely a video editing monitor. At any rate, it appears to be a CRT, which was the basis for my remarks.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

My comment had to do with the machine on the left, which is likely a video editing monitor. At any rate, it appears to be a CRT, which was the basis for my remarks.

It is a CRT, though I wasn't sure if it's a bad thing or not, I thought they were still the best for color grading and such. That might have changed with OLED, I don't know.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It is a CRT, though I wasn't sure if it's a bad thing or not, I thought they were still the best for color grading and such. That might have changed with OLED, I don't know.

I'm no expert, but a couple of my friends who produce documentaries use Macs and Final Cut Pro with flat panel monitors.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    Boy Genius Report says the emails weren't faked- http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ge-3/#comments

It strikes me that he says the same anything anyway. Maybe he shouldn't have said rumors or told the guy to calm down, but this BS "it's ATT's fault for not having better service" is a total cop out and most of us know it Apple.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

I'm no expert, but a couple of my friends who produce documentaries use Macs and Final Cut Pro with flat panel monitors.

As far as I understand, even the best LCD still doesn't match the gamut of a CRT broadcast monitor. But the older ones are getting hard to find, so if you need one now, you'll probably have to get an LCD.