Exclusive conversations with Steve Jobs up for sale

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Everyone's been focused on the fact that Steve Jobs had wifi issues when he demonstrated the iPhone 4 supposedly caused by mifi's etc overloading the wifi network, but watch this video 26 seconds in as the blue box "Could not activate cellular data network." pops up!

YouTube video, SJ iPhone 4 keynote 26 seconds in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZZa...eature=related
  • Reply 82 of 117
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    From CNN:

Quote:

Asked on the record whether Steve Jobs was the author of any or all of these statements, a top Apple spokesman emphatically denied it.

Source

This basically destroys the credibility of the entire exchange. Somebody actually went on the record to deny that Jobs wrote this. This is why I never take emails seriously and prefer official company statements like this.
  • Reply 83 of 117
    derplanckderplanck Posts: 14member
    The guy is a bottom feeder.
  • Reply 84 of 117
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Everyone's been focused on the fact that Steve Jobs had wifi issues when he demonstrated the iPhone 4 supposedly caused by mifi's etc overloading the wifi network, but watch this video 26 seconds in as the blue box "Could not activate cellular data network." pops up!

YouTube video, SJ iPhone 4 keynote 26 seconds in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZZa...eature=related

Wi-Fi and cellular Data have nothing to do with it. Jobs himself said they were using Wi-fi and it has already been established that the demo failed due to wi-fi pollution. Just like it happened to Google a week before Apple.

It has nothing to do with anything. Jobs was not using 3G at all.
  • Reply 85 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

From CNN:
    Quote:

Asked on the record whether Steve Jobs was the author of any or all of these statements, a top Apple spokesman emphatically denied it.

Source

I hope that's the case, now more than ever: if this fella were telling the truth it wouldn't be too hard to verify the emails through their headers, and after a defamation suit from this denial Apple would be buying him a pretty nice house or two.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

From CNN:

Source

This basically destroys the credibility of the entire exchange. Somebody actually went on the record to deny that Jobs wrote this. This is why I never take emails seriously and prefer official company statements like this.

Ooops! Looks like BGR is having their Dan Rather moment. Reporting fake emails as fact doesn't do one's credibility any good. And they paid for it?
  • Reply 87 of 117
    Quote:

Wi-Fi and cellular Data have nothing to do with it. Jobs himself said they were using Wi-fi and it has already been established that the demo failed due to wi-fi pollution. Just like it happened to Google a week before Apple.

There clearly was a problem with receiving the data. My hunch is they fixed the bars to show full coverage on ATT even though it was dropping signal. They used wifi and thought they wouldn't have any problems with downloading because of that, but their modifications combined with the antenna problems screwed up their wifi. Serves them right too.
  • Reply 88 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

I hope that's the case, now more than ever: if this fella were telling the truth it wouldn't be too hard to verify the emails through their headers, and after a defamation suit from this denial Apple would be buying him a pretty nice house or two.

It is the case, AppleInsider just has not updated their site.
  • Reply 89 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

You're saying email headers cannot be faked? Really?
  • Reply 90 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

This has nothing to do with anything.
  • Reply 91 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ooops! Looks like BGR is having their Dan Rather moment. Reporting fake emails as fact doesn't do one's credibility any good. And they paid for it?

Interestingly, BGR has now posted the full headers:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...enna-problems/

EDIT: It seems BGR only posted the headers of the outgoing email, and not from from an incoming message. Big difference.

SECOND EDIT: Screen shots of incoming headers now posted. This is beginning to get tasty....
  • Reply 92 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You're saying email headers cannot be faked? Really?

Of course anyone can type anything, but it's very difficult to fake headers in a way that will look at all authentic. Besides, the point of having headers is that it provides a paper trail pointing to where the info can be verified.

If BGR is just randomly typing fake headers then yes, of course they'd be scum.

But it wouldn't be in BGR's interest to do that. They do much better just coming clean and moving on.

It could be they're being misled by this marketing dude, but he doesn't seem smart enough to make believable headers.

Maybe he got help from an expert. Maybe it's a grand conspiracy. Maybe the emails came from Elvis.

Or maybe the Apple rep spoke too soon.

We'll see. Sure is fun to watch, though.
  • Reply 93 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

This has nothing to do with anything.

Really! The video's blurry so I can't tell on it how many bars he's getting on the iPhone 4 when it loses signal but the 3GS right next to him with what looks like full bars.

video 26 secs in (no cellular data on iPhone 4 , full coverage on 3GS) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZZa...eature=related

Notice also he was holding the iPhone 4 at the time then puts it down and picks up the 3GS because it changes orientation. I'd like to see a higher quality video and see if it shows the bars recovering on the iPhone 4 after he puts it down.
  • Reply 94 of 117
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I actually hope that quote is accurate. It's my feelings exactly. I'm stunned how wildly people are reacting when told they might have to hold their phones slightly differently. They act like the world is coming to an end.

I don't have an iPhone 4 (I've a very new 3GS), but if I did I certainly would not want to be told I had to hold it just-so. I'm sorry, a design that allows the user's hand to couple multiple antennas is unequivocally flawed and that decision would fail an EE student project, much less one of the premier manufacturers of mobile devices. I know it's easy to say, but all I could think of when watching Jobs' presentation was, "external antennas separated by just a thin strip; how did they make that work?". Well, now I know -- it doesn't work. If the antennas could function as a unit, they wouldn't have isolated them to begin with.

All I can imagine is that testing always involved some type of case. But when you design a product to be a work of art, you should naturally assume some people are going to use it "naked" rather than cover it up. If it requires insulation to work properly, then the insulation must be built-in. Don't make the user fix your device. And certainly don't expect them to "avoid holding it in that way", like it's some $19.95 POS they ordered off a late night TV commercial.

As it stands, affected users are expected to

1 - take the phone out of the box and admire its resemblance to an old Leica camera.

2 - cover the beautiful old Leica with a case.

or,

2a - alternatively, hold the phone with chopsticks

It's that laughable. I'm a big Apple fan, but I'm not going to make excuses for something like this. Apple needs to step up and fix this and stop insulting their users' intelligence.
  • Reply 95 of 117
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    lol they bought some fake emails.

Look at the bright side, at least it's not stolen.

anyone wants to buy my email exchange with Steve Jobs? I can type up some header information if you really want....
  • Reply 96 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

lol they bought some fake emails.

Maybe. The only thing the Apple rep said is that the comments did not come from Jobs. She didn't say whether they'd come from Jobs' email account.

If someone else there fields Steve's messages they'd have an out that would save them a defamation suit, and it would explain a lot about the random comments ostensibly coming from one of the busiest men in the world lately.

BGR says they're looking into it. No matter who goes down, this is better than TV.
  • Reply 97 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

anyone wants to buy my email exchange with Steve Jobs? I can type up some header information if you really want....

If you can invent headers that correlate with server records I know some people who will pay you a lot of money to do that for them.
  • Reply 98 of 117
    Quote:

Yeah so what? The iPhone 4 lost reception when he was holding it, that's the big issue here.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Maybe. The only thing the Apple rep said is that the comments did not come from Jobs. She didn't say whether they'd come from Jobs' email account.

If someone else there fields Steve's messages they'd have an out that would save them a defamation suit, and it would explain a lot about the random comments ostensibly coming from one of the busiest men in the world lately.

BGR says they're looking into it. No matter who goes down, this is better than TV.

lol they are looking into it after Apple says it fake? Shouldn't they do it before they push the story?
  • Reply 100 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Jason lost all tech credibility when I saw the picture of his computer monitor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Take another look. Closely. And then tell us what that says about your tech credibility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Look more closelier.

Please, someone please explain it. Are we talking about the left screen? Is it just a TV? Computer monitor? A broadcast monitor? Right now, my money's on the left screen being a broadcast monitor, they tend to have all sorts of controls and dials, though I can't find that exact monitor model yet. And there's a regular flat panel computer monitor to the right of it.

Or is the complaint that it doesn't look like a Mac OS on the computer monitor? I'm not familiar with many video editing systems, it doesn't look like Final Cut, but there's not much to go from.