Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    lol

butt hurt bloggers sure have a lot of patsies freaking out for them.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

This is exactly why they told their employees not to give them out.

Once one guy gets one, everyone will demand one.

I suspect that e-mail instructing employees not to give them out probably was generated because of this case. They probably lucked out, got the bumpers before the policy was in place.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    mike reedmike reed Posts: 11member
    Assuming a bumper costs $3 to produce and assuming a $500 margin average for each iPhone sold (average due to price differences between the models), for each customer put off buying one due to the issue they could provide 166 people with free bumpers and turn a slight profit.

Of course this, in addition to the assumptions above, also assumes one or more of those free bumpers would have resulted in that customer changing his\\her opinion and purchasing an iPhone. It also ignores the cut Apple gets from AT&T for each month's service charge.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I stopped reading your post at this point solipsism. Over the three years I've been at this site I've thought highly of your opinions and have until now agreed when I had experience of the subject and learn't a great deal. I haven't ever noticed you being rude to anyone before, but I've now lost all of my respect for you.

Wow, three years of respect gone in one sentence.

I guess that's how marriages end, too.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Disable the 3G capabilities (Settings - General - Network).

Sure, your internet speed will be Edge; but my iPhone 4 now ACTUALLY works better! I'm getting a better signal, longer battery life.

Give this a shot ... am I the only one that this seems to make a difference?

I have a iPhone G4 with a iFrogz case and work in a building with really BAD coverage. Since switching, I'm no longer dropping calls and my Edge downloads are 161-181 kbps and uploads at 14 kbps.

But, at least my freakin' phone works!!!

I wonder if part of the software fix is to get the phone to switch between 3g and 2g/edge more quickly so fewer calls are dropped ?

Oh and why does everyone think the bumpers cost $1 to Apple? the true cost could be $5 or more. All we know for sure is that Apple are not making $29 profit on the bumpers.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes Judy.

Do they show "Judge Judy" in Ireland also? I thought it was just a US TV show... interesting.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    It seems like Apple has done a pretty effective job handling some of these service issues in the store. It does seem like handing out free bumpers would be a cost-effective way to keep their customers happy, though.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    So, I got my bumper. A few points.

1) It seems to help a bit. "a bit" but not as many say/think it will. It just allows you to slide your finger down a bit further past the line due to rubber edge that won't easily let you drop the phone due to holding it on the edge. But, lefties, your still screwed. Didn't stop it very well at all. If you "palm" your phone, the bumper or any case, I would suspect, will not help.

2) for the people that think this bumper is more than $1 to produce, give me a break. I say $2 tops. It isn't all intricate as people say. Plastic with three buttons built in, that dont' have much to them, rubber around that, and it is kind of flimsy. But, I like it. I was surprised to end up liking it. I got sick of bulky cases that don't let the phone be just that, a phone.

3) My proximity sensor is still crap even after doing the hard reset, network setting reset, settings reset, and restore setup as new device. Still, muting, holding, ending calls like crazy. My wife's phone has only done it once. BUT, Apple did what they are truly great at....they sent me a new phone in less than 24 hours of me calling them. Should be here in about an hour if Fedex is on their usually schedule. I hope that it is just my phone. But, if it ins't, I think that Apple can fix it with this software update for the "reception" problem. I think they know there is a problem with the sensor but don't want to talk about it after the reception thing and can truly fix it with a software tweak....unlike the reception issue. I just couldn't keep having the sensor problems for 2-3 more weeks. I had to try another phone out first.