Android struggling to mimic iPhone's pay-to-own marketplace?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I find the quantity arguments utterly useless and uninformative on both platforms. What matters to me is the quality and availability of the apps that I use. And there are several on Android that led me to that platform.

The biggest draw is Google Navigation. Say all you want about how TomTom is better on the iphone but the reality is that Google Nav does everything I want it to do and it's $50 less than TomTom. And that's not an insignificant savings. OAll of a sudden an iPhone and an Android at the same contract price, will have the iPhone costing 25% more on just one feature. (Edit: Do you have to get a new TomTom license every year or will the one time purchase last you forever sans database updates? That would make the price even higher on the iPhone side).

Sure TomTom is marginally better. But put that app at that price up right beside a screen with Google Navigation and see how many people will pay $50 over free. And that's just one example.

When it comes to the big stuff that people use on a daily basis, like calendars, email, banking apps, social networking stuff, I have generally found that the availability is only slightly less on Android with that platform catching up rapidly. Most of the popular apps like OpenTable, Zagat and Urbanspoon for foodies like me are now available on Android. So I've found that the availability edge is getting thinner by the day.

The only area on availability where Android seems to be lagging is gaming. The availability of games on iOS is orders of magnitude higher. But that seems to be changing slowly too. iPhone exclusivity is ending. Look at the recent decision to port over Angry Birds. But this is one area Android's got some catching up to do.

Quality is another area where work is needed. And this varies widely. Games in particular tend to lack quality. But apps from reputable developers or professionally produced stuff (like say a banking app) seem to be of the same quality on both sides. Take the recently released Kindle app for Android. Seems to be on par with the iPhone app. And there's Google own apps to add to that like Sky Maps, Translate, Finance, etc.

I'd really say it just depends at this point what you use your phone for. If you are a big time gamer, it's iPhone all the way. If you use your phone as a productivity tool, I really think there's no clear winner. It just depends on what exactly you do and how you do it. There are things you just don't get on the iPhone, like widgets or mifi for example, which can really be important to some people.
  • Reply 42 of 130
    sparky99sparky99 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wasn't Google the first to employ the "remote kill switch" to delete malicious apps, that thing that got everyone up in arms over the iOS App Store?

Google can get away with it because most of the tech media, let's face it, cannot stand Apple.

Microsoft dropped the ball on this and so Google has filled the vacuum.- for the time being ;-)

We shall see.
  • Reply 43 of 130
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Yeah, I have a few, too. Even some old Apple and Mac-related t-shirts.

I have free t-shirts from both apple and google, does that make me the total black sheep in this thread?
  • Reply 44 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yeah sure, cut that Nike logo off of your chest on your shirt. Gaping holes are real attractive in clothing. Look at how many of the things Old Navy sells with their name splattered all across it. American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch are terrible about this as well. If you buy something like that, you are a walking ad for them. You can cover the Apple logo with a sticker or a case and you can carry the phone in your pocket. People won't see from 30 feet away what store you shop at.

Thankfully, I don't shop at those clothing stores, I've never understood the idea of wearing a shirt with the store's logo spread across the entire shirt. The branding on most pants are usually minimal, and you can get custom t-shirts printed however you like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Apple's warranty voiding policy is hardly unique. Granted, some parts are indeed commodity items.

Besides, there isn't a sticker that says "warranty void if opened". The suggestion that the warranty is voided if you open a Mac is false, the warranty is voided on the parts you broke if you broke them while you were in the device.

One thing I do know is that the screen in my Dell notebook isn't half as good as the screen on my MBP. The chassis on my Dell isn't half as good on a MBP. Apple's batteries are custom made for Apple's machines, large custom flat cells rather than off-the-shelf round cells, wasting lots of valuable space putting round cells in a square hole. The operating system on the Dell can configured to be made tolerable, but that's the topic of a different thread. A lot of the chips are commodity items, but if you take that view, a computer is just a pile of parts.
  • Reply 45 of 130
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I have free t-shirts from both apple and google, does that make me the total black sheep in this thread?

Nope. I've got an Android phone. And a Mac at home with Apple stickers plastered over different things, two iPods I've given away (I just prefer keeping music on my phone...whatever the device I am using is) and as soon as my gf okays it, we're getting an iPad.

I really don't get the whole argument that I must choose a side and stick to it. There is stuff that each platform does well and I'd like to be able to pick and choose between the two.
  • Reply 46 of 130
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I find the quantity arguments utterly useless and uninformative on both platforms. What matters to me is the quality and availability of the apps that I use. And there are several on Android that led me to that platform.

Agreed on quality apps.

Quote:

The biggest draw is Google Navigation. Say all you want about how TomTom is better on the iphone but the reality is that Google Nav does everything I want it to do and it's $50 less than TomTom. And that's not an insignificant savings. Over the life of a 2 year contract that's $100 more. All of a sudden an iPhone and an Android at the same contract price, will have the iPhone costing 50% more on just one feature.

Sure TomTom is marginally better. But put that app at that price up right beside a screen with Google Navigation and see how many people will pay $50 over free. And that's just one example.

Google Navigation is nice, especially Street View, but you're overselling it. The TomTom app doesn't cost $50/year. It's a one time fee. The other thing you have to take into consideration is that Tom Tom uses GPS which is far more accurate than just A-GPS. You also don't have to have to worry about data usage which could be a concern in the future with data caps. You mention quality apps previously yet in your next statement you are satisfied with "good enough".

Quote:

When it comes to the big stuff that people use on a daily basis, like calendars, email, banking apps, social networking stuff, I have generally found that the availability is only slightly less on Android with that platform catching up rapidly. Most of the popular apps like OpenTable, Zagat and Urbanspoon for foodies like me are now available on Android. So I've found that the availability edge is getting thinner by the day.

The only area on availability where Android seems to be lagging is gaming. The availability of games on iOS is orders of magnitude higher. But that seems to be changing slowly too. iPhone exclusivity is ending. Look at the recent decision to port over Angry Birds. But this is one area Android's got some catching up to do.

Quality is another area where work is needed. And this varies widely. Games in particular tend to lack quality. But apps from reputable developers or professionally produced stuff (like say a banking app) seem to be of the same quality on both sides. Take the recently released Kindle app for Android. Seems to be on par with the iPhone app. And there's Google own apps to add to that like Sky Maps, Translate, Finance, etc.

The problem with Android is that not functionality. It's usability. The problem is that there is not really a relatively consistent UI between apps. Part of the problem is that there is 100 different hardware designs for a designer to create an app for. It ends up creating more work for developers and users as well who have deal to deal with the UI.

Android apps, at least to me, seem harder to use. A good example of this was Z-Subsonic. It was initially released for Android and came relatively recently to the App Store. I was looking for a replacement to Simplify Media and bought this app. After I bought it I was trying to find out for hours how to use it because there is no easy way to find the details on the website. I found out I had to go through all these hoops to just get it ti work. With Simplify I just downloaded their OSX app. It just worked. This is the reason why Simplify was purchased by Google and why apps like Z-Subsonic won't be purchased by the end user.

As for games, people on Android generally won't pay for games. It isn't as easy to pay like on iTunes and a supporting foundation such as gift cards, gifting apps and the like. I almost get the impression that people are used to getting free stuff from Google and the web so they aren't used to actually paying for stuff.

Quote:

I'd really say it just depends at this point what you use your phone for. If you are a big time gamer, it's iPhone all the way. If you use your phone as a productivity tool, I really think there's no clear winner. It just depends on what exactly you do and how you do it. There are things you just don't get on the iPhone, like widgets or mifi for example, which can really be important to some people.

There are great things about both platforms. I'd wish Apple would have a little more of the openness of Android and Google needs to exert some control over hardware and the anarchy of their app marketplace.
  • Reply 47 of 130
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So by this wonderful logic, if android only had 10 apps, all free, and the headline said 'android market has all free apps'. That would fine? The relative size would not matter?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. That's a completely honest statement as I have no idea what you mean, except I'm sure you want to paint me as being wrong and you as being right. Other than that, I've no idea what you intend to mean.
  • Reply 48 of 130
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    So...
  • Reply 49 of 130
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Agreed.

iTunes App store = ~200,000 total, 28% free = 56,000 free apps

Android store = ~50,000 apps total, 57% free = 28,500 free apps

Actually Android Store is 100% free. Buy an app, backup, and cancel before 24 hours. VoilÃ*, free app.
  • Reply 50 of 130
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Their junk is made in the same Chinese sweat shops as the Dell junk, HP junk, etc. with the same parts that they all use. If Apple would let you open their units without voiding their warranty, you would find the same HD, memory chips and such. The reason they are not cheap is because you will pay more.

Hmmm... I don't believe so. Yes, they use much of the same parts, but better IPS screens, batteries that last longer, etc. Yes, some of the chips are the same, no doubt. However, just pick up an iPhone in one hand and any Android device in the other and just feel them. You can tell which one Apple made.
  • Reply 51 of 130
    Top two headlines on AI today:

Android struggling to mimic iPhone's pay-to-own marketplace?

iTunes App Store hit by developer and account fraud

• Reply 52 of 130
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This artical doesn't take into account that Apple has had huge inutria for three years now and Google's phone just broke out of uber nerd circles in a big way with 2.1 not but maybe 8 months ago.

Lets look at the first derivative of those numbers, what is the month over month growth rate of acceleration/deceleration in adoption -by new users- upgrades dont grow the platform userbase -of eachplatform, the apps will follow that trend, just a few months later.
  • Reply 53 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

Quote:

This was a mistake on Apple's part to lock into AT&T for so long. Had it not, Android may not have even gotten a foothold in the market. It wasn't really doing much at all until Verizon started pushing it with their licensed branding of "Droid" and lots of marketing. Apple's move into Verizon now would give them the advantage, but if they wait, Android will just get better and more adopters of it will just not bother with iPhone.

FYI apple went to Verizon first to carry the iphone and the laugh in Jobs face say that the iphone would not be successful. Apple then went to att and didnt even show they a prototype and teh accept apple offer

so how could you say it apple fault stupid troll read your facts first b4 u utter shit

Before you blab off stupid crap, read what was posted. I never said anything about that. It's a well known fact that they went to Verizon first, but couldn't get the deal they wanted. I said that it's Apple's fault they LOCKED THEMSELVES INTO the exclusive deal with AT&T for so long. Had they done it on a shorter term, they could have opened the option of multiple carriers, and the Droid may not have gotten quite so popular. However, it has, and the exclusive deal tying them to AT&T has allowed this. This could have happened the same way if they'd been locked into an exclusive deal with Verizon and AT&T had come out with the Droid marketing campaign.

So before you mouth off next time, read what's posted carefully and completely understand what has been written. Obviously there is a loose connection in your brain not allowing you to make sense of what you're reading.
  • Reply 54 of 130
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

This is poorly worded and may be misleading. Android does not have the "largest share of free applications by far". Free Android apps makes up a greater proportion of total Android apps when compared to other app stores. I have no doubt that the absolute number of free apps for iOS makes Android look puny, even with their greater proportion.

Why do you assume that people "won't get that" .... when both charts shown compares several app stores ..... come on, already.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Actually Android Store is 100% free. Buy an app, backup, and cancel before 24 hours. VoilÃ*, free app.

To digitally steal something is not only petty theft, but if I am not mistaken, a strong case could be made for wire fraud...and you stupidly brag about it in a forum as widely read as this one? are you fucking nuts? Perhaps you are just a lowlife scoundrel, you steal from the hardworking independent app developers who make android, iphone and the like really great while your only contribution appears to be crime how-to's...

FUCK YOU
  • Reply 56 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Before you blab off stupid crap, read what was posted. I never said anything about that. It's a well known fact that they went to Verizon first, but couldn't get the deal they wanted. I said that it's Apple's fault they LOCKED THEMSELVES INTO the exclusive deal with AT&T for so long. Had they done it on a shorter term, they could have opened the option of multiple carriers, and the Droid may not have gotten quite so popular. However, it has, and the exclusive deal tying them to AT&T has allowed this. This could have happened the same way if they'd been locked into an exclusive deal with Verizon and AT&T had come out with the Droid marketing campaign.

So before you mouth off next time, read what's posted carefully and completely understand what has been written. Obviously there is a loose connection in your brain not allowing you to make sense of what you're reading.

I think we need to consider the possibility that Apple may not have been able to make a shortterm deal with AT&T -and- get the option for the then $20 Unlimited data, the option for real unlimited data, the option for no physical carrier logo on the device, free visual voicemail, no carrier software on the device, apps and media outside the carrier's control, no having the carrier control tech support and repairs, and other things that have hindered handset development in this country by giving too much control to the network operator

I think it can be easily be argued that in order to get the device we have today Apple had to make certain exceptions. When I think about how much has changed in the entire cellular business since the iPhone came to pass I think Apple may have made the right choice for everyone, not just them. The entire landscape has benefited users, regardless of personal feelings toward Apple or their products. Just look at Android before the iPhone was announced, they were copying RiM and MS, and it wasn't pretty.

Also, the only thing I've read about Apple going to Verizon first was from Verizon. How would they know, outside of Apple telling them, but that could be a lie? I think it's likely they went to Verizon first, even though I think it could have been to use it to leverage with negotiations with Cingular. If you look at the carriers Apple choose for the original iPhone they weren't the largest carriers in those countries and therefore were more likely to bend to Apple's will.
  • Reply 57 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparky99 View Post

You can't be serious. I have heard that in China there is tiered quality system for every product. You get what you pay for, or it should be the other way, you pay for what you get.

Apple product is definitely better than Dell's or HP's - I have owned both.

I have been using Apple products since the days of the Apple II. I have owned Macs, PC's, and even build my own gaming rigs. I can tell you that Apple uses quality parts (and always has) and makes a quality product. People constantly try to compare their products to run of the mill garbage at Best Buy, but it's not in the same league. I build my own gaming rigs with Windows and they cost quite a bit to build. My current gaming rig is more expensive than a loaded up iMac, and my screen is only an S-PVA Dell monitor. I've got over $3000 in this machine. It's got advantages over an iMac in some areas, yet the iMac has some advantages in real estate, screen, and definitely the OS.

Good quality parts cost good money. People that buy $1200 PC's have garbage low res TN screens, junk parts, and got what they paid for.
  • Reply 58 of 130
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I have been using Apple products since the days of the Apple II. I have owned Macs, PC's, and even build my own gaming rigs. I can tell you that Apple uses quality parts (and always has) and makes a quality product. People constantly try to compare their products to run of the mill garbage at Best Buy, but it's not in the same league. I build my own gaming rigs with Windows and they cost quite a bit to build. My current gaming rig is more expensive than a loaded up iMac, and my screen is only an S-PVA Dell monitor. I've got over $3000 in this machine. It's got advantages over an iMac in some areas, yet the iMac has some advantages in real estate, screen, and definitely the OS.

Good quality parts cost good money. People that buy $1200 PC's have garbage low res TN screens, junk parts, and got what they paid for.

I haven't used a Windows machine a few years but it seems to me that Apple's quality have gone down slightly since the move to Intel. I really don't know who's to blame on that issue.

Interestingly enough iOS devices are rock solid in their quality. I've rarely seen any issues on the web or had any problems myself. This goes back to the iPod as well. It very well may be that the more control Apple has over hardware the more reliable it is.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Excuse me, but your True Colors are showing ...(with apologies to Cyndi Lauper))

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

Nobody is complaining about that part. They are complaining about Apple's response since the issue was discovered.

ie. Hold it Different. Its all your fault.

ie. Poor engineering (lets not admit we should have put a sealant over the antenna bridge)

ie. Releasing a fix which isnt a fix at all... just reports the bars differently. You will still lose calls.

ie. Telling their reps not to give complaining customers rubber bumpers, but ripping them off to the tune of $30 for a $1 piece of rubber.

ie. They would rather you returned your faulty handset than give you a cheap piece of rubber.

I love their innovation too, but this time Apple have shown to all that they treat their customers with contempt.

16 posts ... almost all Apple bashing and/or praising PC ....
  • Reply 60 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I agree with you in principle removing even more ads would likely mean an even further increase in products that include both an initial or recurring cost and advertisements, potentially pricing themselves out of the market.

But products would typically be 10%- 15% cheaper if they didn't spend money on advertising, that's the typical expenditure, some products spend over 60% of their revenue on advertising (software products with virtually zero replication cost). Advertisers reckon a 2% response rate is very good, that's very high so in excess of 98% of advertising is wasted. Your time, do the math.

Advertising in its current virtually unregulated form is a scourge, a tax on everyone's time and money.