Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Evidence that they will NOT, in fact, be getting the iPhone any time soon.

I hear Verizon are testing a new network - something that allows voice and data at the same time. My bet would be they'll get the iPhone when this new network becomes active, provided the iPhone is still the phone to get.
  • Reply 122 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will be different this time. Steve will quietly go, never to be heard from again.

Sarcasm at it's finest........

Personally I don't see Verizon getting iphone until LTE, whenever it is viable.
  • Reply 123 of 151
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Is Lil' Marissa Mayer certain that oddball UI design is optimal for eliciting ad clicks?

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-go...ads-dir,17470/
  • Reply 124 of 151
    iamiendiamiend Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Verizon's backing the wrong horse again.

Um... more like Apple is backing the wrong horse, again. AT&T sucks and Verizon is better. They know it. We know it.
  • Reply 125 of 151
    ipaladinipaladin Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamiend View Post

Um... more like Apple is backing the wrong horse, again. AT&T sucks and Verizon is better. They know it. We know it.

You're dealing with the same people who threw tantrums when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel. Better to let it go... fortunately the people who run Apple are looking at things from a business perspective.
  • Reply 126 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Frankly Apple should get slammed for this. They've shown a lack of respect for it's users by saying "don't hold it that way" and saying there is no problem.

Bitter, party of a small few.

My iPhone 4 is awesome-no signal problems even when i bridge the little gap with my tongue trying to reproduce this issue!

I get better service now than i did with the 3g or 3gs.

Apple should be praised for a wonderful new phone period.
  • Reply 127 of 151
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Bitter, party of a small few.

My iPhone 4 is awesome-no signal problems even when i bridge the little gap with my tongue trying to reproduce this issue!

I get better service now than i did with the 3g or 3gs.

Apple should be praised for a wonderful new phone period.

It's a good thing your iPhone is working well for you but for others it didn't. Not everyone is in your situation. Apple's response simply wasn't good enough. They deserved to be attacked over it by competitors just like Apple attacked Vista in the Mac vs. PC ads.
  • Reply 128 of 151
    jayhammyjayhammy Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Thanks for defending Apple's rights! It's always nice to see some support for the underdog!

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that Apple is the underdog. Yes, it USED to be, but it is no longer--far from it. With the largest App Store in the world, the raging success of the iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, and now the iPad, Apple is now the leader.

Additionally, with this newfound lead comes responsibility. And there's where Apple is failing. It's now under investigation for antitrust concerns on several fronts.
  • Reply 129 of 151
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Worse case you slide your hand a millimeter in any direction. It still takes 'supposedly' more than a few conditions to be met to drop the signal a trivial amount.

It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

Just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded

With a bumper on 5 to 1 bars in 25 seconds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUX1t...eature=related

And this is what Daniel Eran Dilger didn't include in his article here at AI on the Consumer Reports blog-

"While we've been unable to date to create the reported conditions in our National Testing Center in Yonkers, New York, I and a colleague did repeatedly experience loss of signal when using an iPhone 4 a few miles north of there today.

While in my home, I held the iPhone in my left hand, gripping it with normal pressure. My palm covered a gap between parts of the metal band that forms the outer ring of the iPhone and serves as its antenna. As I did so, I moved my pinky finger to the corresponding gap on the other side.

Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four bars—depending on my location within the house—to zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds.

Apple has admitted to problems with the metering on its iPhones, and there's some question about whether the drop in displayed signal is merely a metering issue, and whether call quality or the ability to place calls is affected.

In my informal tests today, however, the drop had a significant effect on both call success and quality. When the phone was in the low-signal state in my hand, calls placed to it from another cell phone (a Motorola Droid, running on Verizon's network) repeatedly failed.

And when I initiated a series of calls to editor Paul Reynolds, and then placed my pinky over the gap in the iPhone 4's band as I continued speaking, the calls consistently deteriorated. Paul first heard my voice breaking up, followed by static and the dropping of the call; again, the elapsed time from the placing of the pinky to the call being dropped was about 5 seconds.

~ http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...reports-s.html
  • Reply 130 of 151
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

...Do people forget how much Apple mocked intel chips?

No, so what's your point? Intel wants Apple as a customer: Intel better watch how they discuss Apple (there was an instance of this a year or so ago). If Verizon wants an Apple phone, Verizon better watch how they discuss Apple. Apple can say whatever the heck it wants to about either of them. The cachet is in the Phone with the Apple name -- not in the chip it uses, nor in the carrier that carries it. Apple will be dictating the terms of any deal.

Anyhow, companies (good companies) use different suppliers for different things at different stages of evolution. The Pentium series was really bad. And what was particularly being mocked was that people were saying how wonderful it was that clock speed was going up and up on Intel chips, while G4's and G5's were not going up in clock speed so quickly with each new update. The G4 and G5 had a different design approach that looked at reducing the instruction set, shortening the pipeline, broadening the through-put, reducing the heat and power consumption, I/O controller, back-side cache, 64-bit-ness, etc. etc. These features all made for a better chip. But people looked at one spec, the clock-speed number, and not the actual processing that was being done (hence the need to explain the Megahertz Myth).

But IBM hit a wall and started going in a different direction (servers or embedded chip designs or whatever). And Intel scrapped the Pentium designs and went back to the drawing board for the Core Duo line (you did notice that clock speeds went back down to around 1.8 MHz, didn't you, from well over 3 for the Pentium line) before going slowly back up to where they are now. Shows that Intel acknowledges the design principles that went into the PowerPC chips. Shows that the Megahertz Myth as explained by Apple fans really did hold water. But PC fans like to forget that.

Apple critics like to say how inconsistent Apple is (suddenly using Intel after badmouthing it, etc.), but it is completely consistent of Apple that it looks at all aspects of a design and not just one or two raw specs. They have shown overwhelming consistency and singleminded focus on making the best products they can. Much more so than anyone else. Apple doesn't go for the special of the week and throw in a particular chip just because they can get an extra boatload that no-one else wants. For the most part, Apple commissions (and even largely designs) the parts that Apple wants its suppliers to build. If a supplier can't deliver it, they look elsewhere.

Same thing happens now in other areas -- people go off on this or that spec quoting the better numbers on paper for competing products, but Apple doesn't play that game; Apple quietly tweaks a bunch of things under the hood that actually make a real difference to the user when you put them all together. People like to quote raw power and raw specs, but Apple actually builds something that is more than the sum of its parts.

Chips from IBM yesterday, Intel today, and who knows, maybe an AMD or NVidia chip tomorrow. Depends who innovates with their chip designs. Pretty simple principle, really. An overlooked piece of genius is the fact that Apple can actually move its OS between platforms and processors. Windows is pretty stuck.

Intel was happy to get Apple -- Apple didn't need to court them and say, "oh sorry about the teasing, we didn't really mean it." Judging by the Keynote when Ortellini made an appearance, Intel is happy that it can push the envelope and make new and interesting things for an innovative company. They are tired of pushing out the same old crap to box suppliers. Apple will push Intel, and everyone benefits.

However, Intel isn't competing well in the mobile device space -- Apple is looking to ARM for that. So there you go. Apple can diss Intel mobile chips and what's Intel gonna do, stop selling Apple millions of high-end desktop processors? You often compete with your suppliers -- Samsung makes phones, but Apple still uses Samsung as a supplier for RAM or screens or whatever.
  • Reply 131 of 151
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it ...

So now you are just repeating the same posts over and over again? OK, I'll repeat a summary of the truth.

See the post above from the guy whose iP4 doesn't drop signal from bridging the seam. See the reports all over from people saying the same, which are just as valid as the blog entry you reference. The signal drop from touching the antenna is a non-issue, as all the tests and reviews and analyses have shown. The signal drop from bridging the seam is only an issue on some iP4s, and there is no data on how many iP4s are affected (so no claims that it's most or half or almost none are valid), nor is the cause of this behavior publicly known at this time, nor does Apple's "letter" address the issue.

OK, carry on with your insane, mindless trolling.
  • Reply 132 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

... But IBM hit a wall and started going in a different direction (servers or embedded chip designs or whatever). ...

More that they started going in a different direction than that they hit any sort of wall.

Quote:

... IBM yesterday, Intel today, who knows, maybe an AMD or NVidia chip tomorrow. Depends who innovates with their chip designs. Pretty simple principle, really. An overlooked piece of genius is the fact that Apple can actually move its OS between platforms and processors. Windows is pretty stuck. ...

I wonder how many A4s it would take to equal the performance of say a quad core i7 CPU?
  • Reply 133 of 151
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

More that they started going in a different direction than that they hit any sort of wall.

agreed.

Quote:

I wonder how many A4s it would take to equal the performance of say a quad core i7 CPU?

That would indeed be cool. Still, I didn't realize Core i7 was in Intel's mobile family of chips. If size, heat and power consumption don't matter, I guess you can use the highest performance chip for anything. And if you do stick it in a phone, I am sure there will be some geeks who will buy it. Thankfully, Apple does look at more than one spec when designing products.

More to my point though, I would imagine that Apple could diss a phone manufacturer all day long for putting a Core i7 in a phone (arguably the *wrong* chip for a phone) and still expect that Intel will be happy to sell them the i7 for MacPros. On the other hand, if Intel dissed Apple I could see Apple increasing its efforts to do more in-house (A4); or more to make itself less reliant in total upon Intel by moving toward chipsets by Nvidia rather than Intel (that may have happened already).

All this to say, I don't find it ironic or hypocritical that Apple fans warn of the consequences to Verizon of dissing Apple, while Apple for its own part has done a little dissing of its own and has dissed Intel, Windows and others. I'm not politically correct, so I don't feel the need to shout "unfair, you hypocrite" at the least little discovery of past instances of something so objectionable as good old fashioned dissing, without first weighing the quality, context, purpose and relative merits of the dissings in question. The politically correct seem to imagine that Apple should give Verizon every consideration simply because Apple has done a little dissing of its own in its own way at one time or another.

If it seems, on the balance of analysis, that Verizon rather looks like it is shooting itself in the foot, I would like to think someone could make that argument without others equating Verizon's dissing of Apple with Apple's dissing of Intel and dissing Apple for it. That Apple may dare to diss upon occasion is not in itself an argument that Verizon's dissing should escape all critique. On the contrary, to his credit Jobs is a superlative disser, and who doesn't love a good disser? To diss or not to diss, that is not the question. The question in this instance is whether your dissing will lose you a contract.

Is there a way I can measure the level of dis-interest in this post?
  • Reply 134 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

... That would indeed be cool. Still, I didn't realize Core i7 was in Intel's mobile family of chips. If size, heat and power consumption don't matter, I guess you can use the highest performance chip for anything. And if you do stick it in a phone, I am sure there will be some geeks who will buy it. Thankfully, Apple does look at more than one spec when designing products.

More to my point though, I would imagine that Apple could diss a phone manufacturer all day long for putting a Core i7 in a phone (arguably the *wrong* chip for a phone) and still expect that Intel will be happy to sell them the i7 for MacPros. ...

Actually, I was thinking the other way around: the possibility and practicality of putting an array of A4s (or other "lightweight' processor) in a Mac.

(The i7 is not a mobile chip, at least not yet, I believe.)
  • Reply 135 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

You can't be serious! First, Jobs said to "not hold the phone that way." Are you kidding me? I should be able to hold my phone any way I'd like...with or without a "bumper." None of my Blackberry or Android devices has EVER had an attenuation problem that Jobs claims every device has. This is complete and utter BS on Apple's part to save face. They've put out a defective product and a massive recall at this point would be disastrous. But it would be the right thing to do.

I remember in 1999 when I had a flame thrower at Steve Jobs head and he told me not to hold it that way. THE CHEEK! I AM AN AMERICAN (not really), I CAN HOLD MY WEAPONS OF MASS APPLE CEO DESTRUCTION ANY WAY I WANT! He advised you dumb ass, it's not like he's holding you hand. The reason why you don't get problems on your Blackberry is because you never searched out the problem. I can replicate the problem on my iPod touch for crying out loud. Steve Jobs only mistake is giving a piece of advice, which of course made every single minded 'Apple is evil Big Brother' geeks replicate the problem so it boosted there ego knowing that Android will take us into a world of open source where nothing works, BUT WE ARE FREE AND OPEN!
  • Reply 136 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

I remember in 1999 when I had a flame thrower at Steve Jobs head and he told me not to hold it that way. THE CHEEK! I AM AN AMERICAN (not really), I CAN HOLD MY WEAPONS OF MASS APPLE CEO DESTRUCTION ANY WAY I WANT! He advised you dumb ass, it's not like he's holding you hand. The reason why you don't get problems on your Blackberry is because you never searched out the problem. I can replicate the problem on my iPod touch for crying out loud. Steve Jobs only mistake is giving a piece of advice, which of course made every single minded 'Apple is evil Big Brother' geeks replicate the problem so it boosted there ego knowing that Android will take us into a world of open source where nothing works, BUT WE ARE FREE AND OPEN!

Well, maybe open, at least.
  • Reply 137 of 151
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

(The i7 is not a mobile chip, at least not yet, I believe.)

Yes, there is a mobile i7. What do you think Apple uses in the high end MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 138 of 151
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

Just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded

With a bumper on 5 to 1 bars in 25 seconds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUX1t...eature=related

And this is what Daniel Eran Dilger didn't include in his article here at AI on the Consumer Reports blog-

"While we've been unable to date to create the reported conditions in our National Testing Center in Yonkers, New York, I and a colleague did repeatedly experience loss of signal when using an iPhone 4 a few miles north of there today.

While in my home, I held the iPhone in my left hand, gripping it with normal pressure. My palm covered a gap between parts of the metal band that forms the outer ring of the iPhone and serves as its antenna. As I did so, I moved my pinky finger to the corresponding gap on the other side.

Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four bars?depending on my location within the house?to zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds.

Apple has admitted to problems with the metering on its iPhones, and there's some question about whether the drop in displayed signal is merely a metering issue, and whether call quality or the ability to place calls is affected.

In my informal tests today, however, the drop had a significant effect on both call success and quality. When the phone was in the low-signal state in my hand, calls placed to it from another cell phone (a Motorola Droid, running on Verizon's network) repeatedly failed.

And when I initiated a series of calls to editor Paul Reynolds, and then placed my pinky over the gap in the iPhone 4's band as I continued speaking, the calls consistently deteriorated. Paul first heard my voice breaking up, followed by static and the dropping of the call; again, the elapsed time from the placing of the pinky to the call being dropped was about 5 seconds.

~ http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...reports-s.html

Thank you for pointing out the Consumer Reports Blog update.

While I don't know the percentage of iPhone 4 owners actually experiencing problems, it should be clear by now that this isn't just a handful of units. And while there will always be people trolling with ridiculous accusations about Apple, that annoying fact should be irrelevant. Just ignore those trolls and instead take note of how many respected sources are describing their own real world problems with iPhone 4 reception. How many confirmations, how many videos of the problem will it take before it is acknowledged as an actual phenomenon?

People like me aren't trolling and aren't looking for an argument. Getting a rise out of Apple connoisseurs isn't the goal. Instead, we're simply pointing out that we have experienced the problem. It has a significant impact on how some people use their iPhone and it is only logical to discuss it in the news and on forums such as this.
  • Reply 139 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, there is a mobile i7. What do you think Apple uses in the high end MacBook Pro?

Ah, correct, slipped my mind.

EDIT: Although, that's not a quad core i7, which the original reference was to.
  • Reply 140 of 151
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    Me thinks Verizon should avoid throwing stones - for example, google verizon htc drop phone signal -iphone and read how the Incredible ain't so incredible.