Consumer Reports changes stance, cannot recommend Apple's iPhone 4

11516182021

Comments

  • Reply 341 of 406
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    But now, you're flat out calling solipsism a liar. We've seen that you yourself have little regard for the truth, but I think the evidence of his veracity points in the opposite direction. If you aren't a troll, I don't know what a troll is.



    That’s alright. Luckily, reality doesn’t need his advice to exist. Since I don’t have a video (which could be faked anyway) I didn’t expect everyone to believe me; it mostly for the longtime readers here I know and respect. Hell, people are discounting CR’s report and they are the most well known for objective testing. If people don’t trust them, why trust me?
  • Reply 342 of 406
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Funny thing is last night I tried my friend's new iPhone 4G last night (to specifically duplicate all the YouTube videos as I'm waiting for the white iPhone) and couldn't get the bars to drop past 3 usually 4 bars. Even then it was a non-issue. Still could make calls on the Softbank network here.



    I think there are a lot of people/companies out to see Apple fail. Can't wait to buy it before the end of the month.
  • Reply 343 of 406
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Just an update on my situation. I have an iPhone 4 and have been having the reception issues at home. I just picked up my free 3G MicroCell from AT&T (I got a letter in the mail over the weekend).



    My "death grip" problems are now over. I got 5 bars in most of my house before, but could quickly kill off the bars by doing the death grip. Now, I get 5 bars EVERYWHERE in the house and using the death grip results in no loss of bars.



    I can now receive a phone call when holding the phone in the death grip instead of it going straight to voicemail. I can also make calls out when using the death grip.



    I must say, I'm impressed.



    Please explain why you are impressed. I understand if it's over AT&T's provision of a free microcell, but if it's over the behavior of the iPhone 4, I need further explanation.
  • Reply 344 of 406
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    Please explain why you are impressed. I understand if it's over AT&T's provision of a free microcell, but if it's over the behavior of the iPhone 4, I need further explanation.



    I'm impressed that my death grip issues at home were resolved with a free MicroCell. If I had to pay, I'd be pissed.
  • Reply 345 of 406
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    Funny thing is last night I tried my friend's new iPhone 4G last night (to specifically duplicate all the YouTube videos as I'm waiting for the white iPhone) and couldn't get the bars to drop past 3 usually 4 bars.



    I guess you haven't followed how the phenomenon seems to require being in a low-moderate signal area. Five bars unheld could mean you're in a strong signal area. If the bars only drop to 3 or 4 when the antenna gap is bridged for 20-30 seconds, then you're almost certainly in a strong signal area.



    Quote:

    I think there are a lot of people/companies out to see Apple fail.



    That's for sure. There are also people--customers--who believe in all fairness Apple needs to own up to the design flaw and do something more than issue a software update to reduce the number of bars displayed in low-moderate signal areas.



    Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.
  • Reply 346 of 406
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That?s alright. Luckily, reality doesn?t need his advice to exist. Since I don?t have a video (which could be faked anyway) I didn?t expect everyone to believe me; it mostly for the longtime readers here I know and respect. Hell, people are discounting CR?s report and they are the most well known for objective testing. If people don?t trust them, why trust me?



    I've read a lot of your posts and I think you are pretty fair with your opinions and reports. As far as the CR report goes, I don't have a dog in that hunt. But I do have a CR subscription. And I often factor in their reviews when I'm making a purchase. Having said that, I must say I thought the video was tacky. I mean, that last bit with a piece of raggedy duct tape stuck over the antenna gap makes me wonder about CR's motive. Maybe it was just a stunt to boost subscriptions?
  • Reply 347 of 406
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I'm impressed that my death grip issues at home were resolved with a free MicroCell. If I had to pay, I'd be pissed.



    You are paying for the broadband bandwidth used by the microcell. I've read that call quality and reliability usually increase over a microcell, though, so it's not like you're paying for nothing.
  • Reply 348 of 406
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post


    How many iPhone 4's will it take, before I can get one that does work, is my question. Mine has been returned twice and I'm on iPhone 4 number three. All three will drop a call when picked up with two fingers anywhere on the sides.





    This seems to be a common thread amongst people who experience the problem... which implies that it is not the specific phone that is at issue. Instead it would seem to be a function of the user (which is not to say it is some kind of user "error"). Between how you hold it with your hand, how you hold it next to your face, where you are, what the signal strength is, what the network load is, how much you are sweating, etc. the factors seem to add up to some people have issues and many don't. Some even say that bumpers don't solve the problem, which makes me suspect that they are actually having the proximity sensor issue, not a signal issue. If this theory is correct, it would explain how the phone could get through Apple's testing without raising any issues.



    So rather than just getting a new phone repeatedly, try doing something different. Get a bumper. Hold different. Try calls on the headphones. Doing the same thing over and over is likely to generate the same result, at least until Apple changes the design in some way.
  • Reply 349 of 406
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    It appears no problem exists after all.



    http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/12/apple...n-memory-hole/
  • Reply 350 of 406
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    It appears no problem exists after all.



    http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/12/apple...n-memory-hole/



    How Terribly Pathetic...
  • Reply 351 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    I usually trust Consumer Reports but the flip-flopping makes me call into question their "buyer beware" message. Has anyone experienced real time issues with the reception and call quality of the iPhone 4?



    I am glad I am not an early adopter. It seems to me that Apple will have to do a recall...



    Yes I have, since two days before the official launch. For those of you whom still are drinking the cool-aid stop it! This problem exist and cannot be covered up by a lying CEO. I think the SEC should investigate as an investor fraud case. Jobs is clearly not telling the truth. When he does admit it the lofty stock darling of Wall Street will have a hickie on her neck.
  • Reply 352 of 406
    You know, something tells me that if Consumer Reports issued the same report about an Android or Windows Mobile phone, many people would be howling what a straight up and upstanding group Consumer Reports is...but this is Apple Insider after all...



    All I can say is that I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day and I've dropped more calls in the last three weeks than I did in the last year with my 3GS. Unlike others, I use my phone for work and personal use so I sorta need the phone part to work reliably. I think the key thing to take away from CR article is "in weak signal areas". Where I live, I'm on the edge of the 3G/EDGE service area. My old 3GS would jump between the two all the time but I never dropped calls. With my Iphone 4, I get no bars to three at most (I know they are not reliable) and on calls, it's none or 1. What is most annoying is that I can drop calls with the phone just sitting on my desk, not being held. Dropping five calls in a row last week is what finally drove me to decide to go back to my 3GS...



    I love everything else about the iPhone 4 but I think later this week, it's going back to Apple. My girlfriend isn't going to be happy since she has been using my 3GS since I got the I4 but I need a phone that works, at least for me and my situation. Notice I'm not jumping ship and going with Android because I've tried them and haven't been impressed. If there is some kind of fix that really fixes the issue, I'll be in line again to buy an I4...
  • Reply 353 of 406
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post


    The reason you're experience is like that is in how the iPhone is reporting your signal strength. In short, the bars are useless. Five bars of strength have a signal range of about 40db, whereas the remaining 4 bars have an interval of around 13db. If you're on the "high" end of that 40db at 5 bars, the death grip will only drop about 20-25db of signal but keep you in the range of 5 bars, meaning you can still make calls. If you're on the "low" end of that 40db, the death grip may drop your signal below the threshold and thus, go from 5 to 0 very quickly.



    In other words, its not surprising the MicroCell made a difference - you had poor reception in your home to begin with. Had the iPhone been properly reporting your signal strength, you would have seen an average of 1 or 2 bars to start with, not 5.



    Apple's in for a world of hurt, because their next software update is going to expose just how terrible AT&T's reception is for a lot of people. People are going to think their "fix" actually broke their phones, and blood will flow in the streets. At least now people will know why their calls keep getting dropped.



    Exactly. Sums it all up. Why is this that difficult for everyone?

    If you are in location that has poor reception( that apple says is not conveyed properly by bar status), crossing the antennas( if that is a good term) drops the reception apparently more than other phones. Is it a problem? depends if you are in a weak signal area. I personally think it is an issue, but would like to see more test result that compare to other phones with an equally weak signal to quantify the results clearer.
  • Reply 354 of 406
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    According to the Anand report it's both a software and hardware issue. Holding the phone that way does cause a signal drop, but it's only a few %. The bars software makes it look like 80%.



    Some kind of non-conductive coating could reduce the real percent even further.



    You got it a bit wrong.



    Signal drop is up to 24dB.



    Considering that 5 bars represent 51dB signal strength, 4 bars are between -91 and -101dB and 1 bar is -113dB... meaning that even with 4 bars signal coverage, by holding phone "wrong" way, you can get down to -125dB. Which is well bellow 1 bar.



    Which means that only 5 bars can guarantee you not dropping call with "wrong" holding.
  • Reply 355 of 406
    nhtnht Posts: 4,496member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post


    I've read a lot of your posts and I think you are pretty fair with your opinions and reports. As far as the CR report goes, I don't have a dog in that hunt. But I do have a CR subscription. And I often factor in their reviews when I'm making a purchase. Having said that, I must say I thought the video was tacky. I mean, that last bit with a piece of raggedy duct tape stuck over the antenna gap makes me wonder about CR's motive. Maybe it was just a stunt to boost subscriptions?



    I stopped trusting CR when they recommended Packard Bell computers way back when PB still sold crap in the US. Most of their tech recommendations in fields I have some clue about were wrong or simplistic and I started wondering the value of their recommendations in fields I had no clue about.



    That they may be subscription starved doesn't strike me as implausible given how easy product research has become on the net for most things.



    As far as the iPhone 4, mine has the problem and it still has been the best phone ever...the only bad thing is I stuck the phone in my pocket with a bunch of keys and managed to scratch the back of the phone. I need a case and not for the reception problem.
  • Reply 356 of 406
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    You are paying for the broadband bandwidth used by the microcell. I've read that call quality and reliability usually increase over a microcell, though, so it's not like you're paying for nothing.



    I'm already paying for the broadband bandwidth (uncapped RoadRunner via Time Warner Cable), so it's not like using the MicroCell is making my bill go up any higher...
  • Reply 357 of 406
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    I stopped trusting CR when they recommended Packard Bell computers way back when PB still sold crap in the US. Most of their tech recommendations in fields I have some clue about were wrong or simplistic and I started wondering the value of their recommendations in fields I had no clue about.



    That they may be subscription starved doesn't strike me as implausible given how easy product research has become on the net for most things.



    As far as the iPhone 4, mine has the problem and it still has been the best phone ever...the only bad thing is I stuck the phone in my pocket with a bunch of keys and managed to scratch the back of the phone. I need a case and not for the reception problem.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    Just use a Bumper or any one of the other cases available for the iPhone.



    Problem solved.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_teRloJf6yE
  • Reply 358 of 406
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I'm impressed that my death grip issues at home were resolved with a free MicroCell. If I had to pay, I'd be pissed.



    So what happens when you know, leave the house? I know GSM tech has greater issues penetrating indoors than CDMA, but I hope you get good 3g coverage everywhere else.



    BTW, I hate the idea of a microcell. "Here, take this box so we can use your broadband access to fix our crappy 3g coverage...".
  • Reply 359 of 406
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Just an update on my situation. I have an iPhone 4 and have been having the reception issues at home. I just picked up my free 3G MicroCell from AT&T (I got a letter in the mail over the weekend).



    My "death grip" problems are now over. I got 5 bars in most of my house before, but could quickly kill off the bars by doing the death grip. Now, I get 5 bars EVERYWHERE in the house and using the death grip results in no loss of bars.



    I can now receive a phone call when holding the phone in the death grip instead of it going straight to voicemail. I can also make calls out when using the death grip.



    I must say, I'm impressed.



    Now all you have to do is figure a way to bring the microcell with you so you can make calls outside of your house.
  • Reply 360 of 406
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post


    Consumer reports main audience I've always thought is for people who either don't know what they are buying or barley enough/no nothing at all. I doubt one reviewer, Who considers duct tape to be a effective fix for it's products. Would convince me to not to buy the iPhone 4. This is just another one of Consumer Reports PR campaigns to get readers.



    Make sure to check the fillings in your tooth! You never know......
Sign In or Register to comment.