Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 201
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    My company makes hundreds of products and I guarantee you that for every product we make there is at least one employee who has "raised concerns" about the product before its launch. Raising concerns is a good thing. And sometimes setting aside those concerns is also a good thing.

So and so raised a concern... Big deal.
  • Reply 182 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

How many of those scientists to too scared to tell Steve anything other than what he wants to hear?

Worst case from this is that if iPhone problems persist, Steve...and Apple could loose credibility with consumers.

If you watched the Pixar Story on TV recently you'd have seen the same style of management there as at Apple. Steve lets the thinkers brain storm and be creative in a way that has made Steve's companies the best at what they do on the planet. Your repeating the same old rubbish about Steve doesn't make it true.
  • Reply 183 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That's SO funny! Those whiners will never learn to just hold the phone properly, or use a Bumper.

I can imagine them in an emergency trying to call 911 ... "I know if I just stop gripping the base tightly I can make a normal call but to hell with that I want to grip my phone tightly even if I can't make a call ... it's my phone!"
  • Reply 184 of 201
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Steve was trying to sound like a natural born engineer. Compelling, I have to admit.

Conspiracy theory time.

Bloomberg:

Quote:

A carrier partner also raised concerns about the antenna before the device?s June 24 release, according to another person familiar with the situation.

Apple's Press Conference 10:33AM:

Quote:

Also on July 30th, we're going to bring the iPhone to 17 more countries, with the omission of South Korea.

Apple's Press Conference 11:03AM

Quote:

Steve: ... And I don't understand it... what would you prefer? That we were a korean company...

• Reply 185 of 201
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

My bad, and apologies. That said he should think more about his comments which were to say the least misinformed, so he won't be lumped with the Joe nobody blogger from people such as myself who don't know who he is,

I guess I'm not aware of Jason's misinformed comments. Please elaborate?
  • Reply 186 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Yes, "Doctor Q" has quite the huge ego over there! Oh, I could share a few dandy emails from him a few years ago. The pontificating was nauseating.

The only one I have found that could be worse was Chris B over at the MW Forum a few years back.
  • Reply 187 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wow you guys will believe anything SJ says. Like he's gonna stand up there and say "it's all true". Deny, deny, deny, ALL these CEOs know very well how to do that.

Pay no attention to this poster. They are not the (An)droid you are looking for.....
  • Reply 188 of 201
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Yes, "Doctor Q" has quite the huge ego over there! Oh, I could share a few dandy emails from him a few years ago. The pontificating was nauseating.

I never had any problem with him. It was some of the others who thought nothing of getting right in the middle of hot debates and violating the very posting rules they were supposed to be enforcing.
  • Reply 189 of 201
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Since you asked...

Jason Snell (born October 6, 1970 in Oakland, California) is a writer and editor whose professional career has been spent covering Apple Computer's Apple Macintosh computers and related technologies. He was also one of the early users of the Internet as a publishing medium, with several magazines and web sites to his credit. He is currently the editorial director of Mac Publishing, the publishers of the U.S. edition of Macworld. His column appears monthly in that magazine. In 2006 the MDJ Power 25, a poll of Mac-industry-watchers, named him the 6th most powerful/influential person in the world of Macintosh computing.[1] (In the previous poll, Snell had been 11th.[2])

With apologies to Jason for even having to post this.....

"Mac Publishing".... hmm.... did they work out a licensing agreement with Apple? Doesn't Apple usually go after any company that uses their registered trademarks in the title of a product (to wit, www.ipoding.com... and there are hundreds of others).
  • Reply 190 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Mac Publishing".... hmm.... did they work out a licensing agreement with Apple? Doesn't Apple usually go after any company that uses their registered trademarks in the title of a product (to wit, www.ipoding.com... and there are hundreds of others).

MacWorld has been around forever, and I wish I had asked that question to their longest running Editor in Chief, Jerry Borrell, years ago when we often did lunch. I would have to believe they got a "pass", as did many Mac pubs in the earlier years. Once "grandfathered", it's rather hard to go back and make them change it.
  • Reply 191 of 201
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I never had any problem with him. It was some of the others who thought nothing of getting right in the middle of hot debates and violating the very posting rules they were supposed to be enforcing.

Really? I guess I just got lucky. He was pretty flippant in all his correspondence with me and wanted me to essentially beg him to reinstate my account. I declined. But yes, the Mods are usually worse.
  • Reply 192 of 201
    Quote:

Really? I guess I just got lucky. He was pretty flippant in all his correspondence with me and wanted me to essentially beg him to reinstate my account. I declined. But yes, the Mods are usually worse.

Possibly because I never got myself into that sort of situation. Many of my encounters with the mods on other issues got the talk to the hand response, or some other variety of a patronizing response. The place was growing a really bad culture, but nobody wanted to know about it.
  • Reply 193 of 201
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was kind of shocked to hear Steve use that sort of language in a press conference. It suggests to me that he's really annoyed.

Maybe he wouldn't be so annoyed if they hadn't produced a defective machine. They can try and lay blame on everyone else, but the simple fact is they made a mistake and now have to deal with it (cows are a comin' home). This wouldn't be such an issue if the just stood up and told the truth and accepted responsibility instead of continuing to spread blame to others. THAT is the part that annoys me. Jobs...stand up and take responsibility like an adult!
  • Reply 194 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Steve Jobs is full of crap.

OF COURSE HE KNEW AND WAS WARNED IN ADVANCED.

He brags on stage that Apple owned and bought a $100 million dollar antenna testing facility during iphone design. Consumer reports used a $10,000 testing facility and found the problem immediately. Steve says they did thousands of tests, and it was only on a small percentage, and that they should have said something during the keynote.

OF COURSE THEY KNEW IN ADVANCE, and damn right that engineer told him?

You can't tell people you had a $100million dollar testing facility but expect them to believe you were so incompetent that you NEVER ONCE EVER SAW THIS ANTENNA ISSUE in advance, because IF THAT IS THE TRUTH?Then Apple doesn't belong in the cellphone business.

And anyway steve jobs refuted that when he said, we knew in advance that all smart phones do this?obviously it was discussed quite a bit BEFORE the launch and they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out?

They trusted the bean-counters instead of the engineers. So typical in a corporation. The problem is that Apple is no longer the little underdog it once was. They are mainstream and simply don't know how to deal with customers who are not totally loyal Apple fanatics. They still think they can B.S. their way to the "truth". Steve...that RDF only extends so far.
  • Reply 195 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Murdoch doesn't own the Times. You may be thinking of The Wall Street Journal and its publisher Dow Jones which was purchased by Murdoch's News Corporation in 2007.

Thank you.
  • Reply 196 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Go hang out where someone actually cares what you have to say troll - this issue is now put to rest. When in a weak signal area, don't touch a 1/16" area of the phone - just like, don't stick your finger in the electrical wall outlet (oops, the house must be defective).

It is a good thing your idea doesn't apply to automobiles (especially the one you drive). Don't be stupid silly customer, just don't touch that 1 spot on the steering wheel when in high speed traffic or the engine will fail. Would you be so willing to accept such a problem then? hmmm???
  • Reply 197 of 201
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

I love how someone who does not know me from spit, can so clearly misinterpret what I write.

The "Actually I wasn't" comment, was my reply to people consistently telling me that I must have been thinking about the WSJ. Here let me clear it up for you. I WASN'T. So yes, I was wrong in stating that Murdoch owns the NYT, but I still believe he will at one point.

As I stated in my replies, Murdoch wanted the NYT, but settled on the WSJ. He has since continually attacked the NYT in business moves, such as ridiculously low advertising rates, to keep the NYT cash strapped as possible. Murdoch himself has publicly stated on several occasions that he still wants the times. Since I don't follow Murdoch like some star gazing celebrity chaser, I was not aware that he had NOT won the battle for the NYT.

While trying to be civil here, let's look at what you originally wrote, shall we?

Quote:

The NYT has been going downhill for some time now, but the purchase by Murdoch seems to have been the tipping point from poor to absurd.

You were wrong, on both points

Let's refresh, that would be

1)the NYT going downhill for some time, while financially true, isn't really editorially true which is the context you were writing about (we could debate this, but since you've stated you trust the times much farther than most other newspapers you might do well to let that issue drop)

and 2)About Murdoch owning the Times

Both of which to your credit you have backpedaled on *but* all the while proclaiming you were correct. It doesn't really matter, and I'll let the point drop, but not everyone who posts here are simply "misinterpreting" when they disagree with you, and it's a good thing to remember, yah?
  • Reply 198 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

It is a good thing your idea doesn't apply to automobiles (especially the one you drive). Don't be stupid silly customer, just don't touch that 1 spot on the steering wheel when in high speed traffic or the engine will fail. Would you be so willing to accept such a problem then? hmmm???

Don't make stupid analogies.

Quote:

Maybe he wouldn't be so annoyed if they hadn't produced a defective machine.

It's really amazing - no matter how much data is presented, some people would rather believe blogger hype than facts.
  • Reply 199 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Don't make stupid analogies.

It's really amazing - no matter how much data is presented, some people would rather believe blogger hype than facts.

It is amazing how much kool-aid have you been drinking. The phone looses a signal due to a poor design choice. A choice based more on ascetics than usability. THAT sir, is a design flaw,no matter how you spin it. I have tried to reproduce that same attenuation issues with my iPhone 3GS and CANNOT even get it to drop 1 bar, no matter how I hold it. YET, Jobs says all phones, even the 3GS do this. They knew it would loose signal, but they simply didn't expect such a negative reaction by the public regarding this defective design.

Also, how is that analogy unacceptable? By the way, I would appreciate it if you don't tell me what to do.
  • Reply 200 of 201
    Quote:

A choice based more on ascetics than usability.

Quote:

ascetic |əˈsetik|

adjective

characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons

A typo, I suppose -- but still amusing.