Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 201
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong?

No, Snell probably wasn't quoting literally, as he was probably just trying to get things out quickly without missing anything important. That's why I qualified the quote as having come through Snell. I interpret everything that comes directly from Apple very carefully. I appreciate your clarification.

As someone else here noted, AppleCare isn't really a place that comes to my mind to call about design flaws. I went to an Apple store, spoke with a manager about the problem, and reasonably complained about Apple's poor response (the holding it wrong response).
  • Reply 22 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, Snell probably wasn't quoting literally, as he was probably just trying to get things out quickly without missing anything important. That's why I qualified the quote as having come through Snell. I interpret everything that comes directly from Apple very carefully. I appreciate your clarification.

As someone else here noted, AppleCare isn't really a place that comes to my mind to call about design flaws. I went to an Apple store, spoke with a manager about the problem, and reasonably complained about Apple's poor response (the holding it wrong response).

What I'm amazed at is how no news outlet brought this up during Q&A. How is that not the first followup question? "You talk about AppleCare phone support, but not about in-store customers, do you have a sense of how many people have come to the store to complain?"
  • Reply 23 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

He will have to be severely disciplined. Mistress Ballmer, do you have your whip handy?! (Stay tuned to this station - video at 10.)

Ballmer would throw a chair in a sweaty orgy of words.
  • Reply 24 of 201
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

... or that he's not kidding.

My impression was the the story was true, but Steve had to emphatically deny it because of the threat of lawsuits for knowingly shipping a defective product.

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah it's true, but... who cares?"
  • Reply 25 of 201
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

As quoted by Jason Snell, the 0.55% figure of AppleCare calls with an "antenna issue" applies to "all iPhone customers", not just iPhone 4 customers. The figure also omits AppleCare calls about reception or anything near.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Steve Jobs is full of crap.

OF COURSE HE KNEW AND WAS WARNED IN ADVANCED.

He brags on stage that Apple owned and bought a $100 million dollar antenna testing facility during iphone design. Consumer reports used a $10,000 testing facility and found the problem immediately. Steve says they did thousands of tests, and it was only on a small percentage, and that they should have said something during the keynote.

OF COURSE THEY KNEW IN ADVANCE, and damn right that engineer told him?

You can't tell people you had a $100million dollar testing facility but expect them to believe you were so incompetent that you NEVER ONCE EVER SAW THIS ANTENNA ISSUE in advance, because IF THAT IS THE TRUTH?Then Apple doesn't belong in the cellphone business.

And anyway steve jobs refuted that when he said, we knew in advance that all smart phones do this?obviously it was discussed quite a bit BEFORE the launch and they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nalts View Post

That was a little silly. I'm one of many who had some issues, but knew better than to waste my time on hold. And maybe 99 percent tried calling but the phone dropped while they were on hold.

Here's my parody of both sides of this silly story...

iPhone4G Press Conference parody

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

How many of those scientists to too scared to tell Steve anything other than what he wants to hear?

Worst case from this is that if iPhone problems persist, Steve...and Apple could loose credibility with consumers.

This kind of comments make me want to go kill myself...

As I said before millions of times...

THERE. IS. NO. ANTENNA. DESIGN. FLAW. SHUT THE FRACK UP AND STOP FUELING THIS GIZMODO DRIVEL.

GODDAMIT man. GODDAMIT...
  • Reply 26 of 201
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

This is how all of the so-called analysts make their money. Let's run a story that sounds good and will get lots of clicks to our site.

the awesome powers of anonymous source.

These kind of "anonymous source" might work on other companies, but for Apple there is only a handful of people who is really in the knows.
  • Reply 27 of 201
    commun5commun5 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

What I'm amazed at is how no news outlet brought this up during Q&A. How is that not the first followup question? "You talk about AppleCare phone support, but not about in-store customers, do you have a sense of how many people have come to the store to complain?"

From Jason Snell's MacWorld Live blog of the Press Conference:

11:08

Jason Snell: Q about returns at Apple Stores. A: Cook says there were fewer than 3GS.

Check your amazement at the door, clickmyface.
  • Reply 28 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

How many of those scientists to too scared to tell Steve anything other than what he wants to hear?

Worst case from this is that if iPhone problems persist, Steve...and Apple could loose credibility with consumers.

Andy Hertzfeld had posted stories about Jobs in the 1980s when he was at his managerial worst, and engineers aren't "afraid" of Jobs. He's stubborn, but so are the engineers. And it's the engineers who actually create the thing.
  • Reply 29 of 201
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, conspiracy theory time...

The most loyal lieutenants and disciples didn't join Steve on the stage....

What are you talking about?

Tim Cook is probably tops in that category and he was sitting right beside Jobs.
  • Reply 30 of 201
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What are you talking about?

Tim Cook is probably tops in that category and he was sitting right beside Jobs.

I was talking about my conspiracy theory. Period.
  • Reply 31 of 201
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

You mean the New York Times MAKES the news it doesn't REPORT the news ...? Well I for one am shocked beyond words.

(for the sarcastically challenged ... read between the lines)

the ny times said: "dewey wins" "dewey wins"

for the uninitiated, he was running against truman
  • Reply 32 of 201
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Look, the media as a whole (including FOX, CNN, Etc) have stopped reporting fact. (

The New York Times just makes stuff up. That we can rely on.

What a friggin rag. Why would anybody ever read a newspaper that just makes stuff up?
  • Reply 33 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

My impression was the the story was true, but Steve had to emphatically deny it because of the threat of lawsuits for knowingly shipping a defective product.

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah it's true, but... who cares?"

Yeah, the only way we're gonna find out whether this story was true is if the lawsuit filed a few weeks ago gains class action status, and then subsequently goes to trial. You can bet that Ruben Caballero and Steve Jobs will be deposed multiple times, and will probably be subpoenaed to testify at trial. Discovery requests will also demand all internal correspondence dealing with the i4 antenna design.

Of course, the likeliness of that suit going to trial is very small. If it gains class action status, AAPL will settle out of court, every iPhone 4 owner will get a $30 check in the mail, and the attorneys for the plaintiffs will walk away with new Ferraris and huge bonuses from their law firms.
  • Reply 34 of 201
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

THERE. IS. NO. ANTENNA. DESIGN. FLAW. SHUT THE FRACK UP AND STOP FUELING THIS GIZMODO DRIVEL.

+1 What he said...
  • Reply 35 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I feel your pain.

Sadly, most people are idiots. Using a standard Stanford-Binet IQ test measure, only one half of one percent of the population can really be considered "smart," and even smart people can fool themselves.

The good news is that now we know the facts, we can identify the absolutely batshit insane types by whether they still stick to the conspiracy issues in spite of the facts. You now have to believe that not only is there a problem, there is a conspiracy to lie about it and cover it up by Apple, because ... you know, that makes more sense than the idea that they might want to produce good, working products to sell.
  • Reply 36 of 201
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

+1 What he said...

+1 again

If you don't like the way your phone performs RETURN IT!!!
  • Reply 37 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

... Of course, the likeliness of that suit going to trial is very small. If it gains class action status, AAPL will settle out of court, every iPhone 4 owner will get a $30 check in the mail, and the attorneys for the plaintiffs will walk away with new Ferraris and huge bonuses from their law firms.

It will never go to trial.

For a class action suit like this to be approved, they have to prove a flaw in the product and they have to accept any reasonable "fix" the company provides. It's not carte blanche to suck money out of the company. It also has to be the case that you are "stuck" with the product (it's late in the cycle and it can't be returned).

With this press conference alone, Apple seems to have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that:

- there is no flaw (relative to other phones)

- iPhone 4 actually has better reception than any other phone.

- anyone that doesn't like it can bring it back for a full refund

- they will give out a free "fix" (case) to anyone that asks

They even got the other case manufacturers onboard so the "suffering" have a choice of cases, and got the carriers to promise not to screw people over the contract or charge fees for the change.

No judge in their right mind will let the class action suit even begin to move forward.

It's over.
  • Reply 38 of 201
    87vert87vert Posts: 8member
    Quote:

They said that returns to the Apple Store were so minimal they were almost non measurable. If people were that upset about the antenna issue they could have returned it.
  • Reply 39 of 201
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Steve Jobs is full of crap.

OF COURSE HE KNEW AND WAS WARNED IN ADVANCED.

He brags on stage that Apple owned and bought a $100 million dollar antenna testing facility during iphone design. Consumer reports used a $10,000 testing facility and found the problem immediately. Steve says they did thousands of tests, and it was only on a small percentage, and that they should have said something during the keynote.

OF COURSE THEY KNEW IN ADVANCE, and damn right that engineer told him?

You can't tell people you had a $100million dollar testing facility but expect them to believe you were so incompetent that you NEVER ONCE EVER SAW THIS ANTENNA ISSUE in advance, because IF THAT IS THE TRUTH?Then Apple doesn't belong in the cellphone business.

And anyway steve jobs refuted that when he said, we knew in advance that all smart phones do this?obviously it was discussed quite a bit BEFORE the launch and they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out?

Sure, they may have seen and registered the issue but they made a calculated risk to release the phone to give it a bigger battery and keep the aesthetics intact. I suspect the next iteration will include a coating on the antenna as long as it looks good and is cheaper than a bumper.
  • Reply 40 of 201
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong? At the press conference there was a giant screen that said "0.55% Percent of all iPhone 4 users who have called about antenna or reception"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/l...ss-conference/

how many didn't bother to call? It's well known the numbers of people who actually call to complain about issue such as this is much lower than those who actually have it.

A whole bunch of pomp and ceremony, our phone is as bad as their phone's reception, blah blah blah.

The reason Apple was crucified in the media is because look at it, the we're the king of the castle and yer the dirty rascal kind of thing you get from the apple crowd (frig I'm in it I can see it) makes it even more a target.

The more smug the grins, the more people want to wipe them. Issue or no issue, that all it really is.