T-Mobile, Apple rumored to be in 'advanced talks' for Q3 iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile USA is said to be in discussions with Apple to bring the iPhone to the wireless carrier this fall, ending AT&T's exclusive hold on the handset, according to a new rumor.

Citing a "highly placed source" at T-Mobile, Leander Kahney at Cult of Mac reported Wednesday that the wireless carrier and Apple are in "advanced talks." He placed an 80 percent likelihood that the iPhone will become available on T-Mobile's network this fall.

Apple became interested because of the influence of T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsche Telekom, the source indicated. T-Mobile is the smallest of the four carriers in the U.S., with 33.7 million customers.

As it currently is, the iPhone 4 is not compatible with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network in the U.S., as the carrier uses the unique 1700MHz spectrum. The iPhone is compatible with UMTS/HSDPA 3G connections at the frequencies 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz. In other words, the handset would need a new internal radio to work with T-Mobile's network.

Apple and AT&T originally agreed to an exclusive deal through 2012, though it's believed the terms of that contract likely changed over the years.

The latest rumor comes as most expected the iPhone to first head to Verizon, as both The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg reported this year that Apple is working on a CDMA iPhone that would be compatible with Verizon's network. Unlike T-Mobile's network, which uses the same technology but operates on a different frequency, Verizon is a completely different technology, which would require a more drastic redesign of the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    This actually sounds more comfortable.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As it currently is, the iPhone 4 is not compatible with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network in the U.S., as the carrier uses the unique 1700MHz spectrum. The iPhone is compatible with UMTS/HSDPA 3G connections at the frequencies 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz. In other words, the handset would need a new internal radio to work with T-Mobile's network.

I'd suggest that T-Mobile change their frequencies
  • Reply 3 of 71
    But....but....but....but adding a new radio is just SOOOOOOOO expensive! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
  • Reply 4 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Whatever, forget the 3G for now. I will use wifi and edge in the meantime, as long as ATT has a competitor that carries the iPhone. Since verizon is going to GSM 4G this year I can finally accept rumors of a Verizon iPhone next year. Until then let's at least have T-Mo as an option.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I'd switch to T-Mobile.

For where I live, work and play around, T-Mobile gave me excellent coverage.

I'd bet $100 that they'd have all you can eat data for lower than what AT&T charged back in the day when they had infinite data plans.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Why does everyone think LTE is 4G? It isn't. It's 3.9G. Not a big deal, but just for clarification. Anyways, T-Mobile wouldn't be that hard since it's essentially the same chip, just swapping out frequencies. However I think Apple has their hands full and isn't really dedicating much time to T-Mobile.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Thanks to AI for providing the appropriate smiley:
  • Reply 8 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have to think this is not likely since Apple has likely maxed out the potential of the current Infineon chipsets with 5 operating bands: UMTS I/II/V/VI/VIII or (2100/1900/850/800/900), respectively.

They’d need to add band IV for T-Mobile USA. I’d think an announcement of NTT docomo as a carrier for the yet unannounced band VI (800MHz) makes more sense since they planned for it in the iPhone 4.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

But....but....but....but adding a new radio is just SOOOOOOOO expensive! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

Says who? Don’t confuse the hurdles with making a CDMA iPhone with adding an operating band to the next iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Why does everyone think LTE is 4g? It isn't. It's 3.9G.

You can call it 3.9 but you can’t say 4? Why not 3.8, why 3.9? You don’t think rounding up 0.1 is okay considering the ‘xG’ nomenclature is in itself BS, which is why T-Mobile is already using ‘4G’ for HPSA.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I would switch. I could see TMobile undercutting ATT and not requiring a data plan.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    vatdorovatdoro Posts: 52member
    I've been very happy with AT&T coverage and service. It is on the expensive side though. The new $15 data plans help a little bit, but I'd still consider switching to T-mobile if they can offer a much cheaper package.

AT&T's early upgrade promotion makes much more sense if another carrier is getting the iPhone this fall. The loop-hole with that is I can still sell my iPhone 4 on ebay and easily recoup the cost of the phone + AT&T's early termination fee. I'd probably make money after everything's said and done.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    80% of statistics are made up, including this one.

wait, 40% of statistics are made up, including this one.

there's a 20% chance that there's an iPhone coming to 80% of the markets in 40% of the carriers.

[how did this guy arrive at 80%?] pulled the number right out of his arse.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    T-Mobile makes more sense than Verizon because of the similarities to AT&T's network.

Can't wait for the first threads about T-Mobile's horrible iPhone service!!! Woohoo!!!

• Reply 13 of 71
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    I think The iPhone 4 is compatible with 1700.

Apple asked the FCC not to reveal all details of their application. I think they still have something up their sleeve.

Maybe when you bridge the two outside antennas you will get the perfect frequency
  • Reply 14 of 71
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Can't wait for the first threads about T-Mobile's horrible iPhone service!!! Woohoo!!!

I'm sure AT&T can't wait either.

-Chris
  • Reply 15 of 71
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

T-Mobile USA is said to be in discussions with Apple to bring the iPhone to the wireless carrier this fall, ending AT&T's exclusive hold on the handset, according to a new rumor.

Coverage: http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.co...st_global_cvg#

Click HSPA+ & 3G tab

Click See cities with HSPA+ at the end of the Expanding to 185 million people section

Check personal coverage: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx
  • Reply 16 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I think The iPhone 4 is compatible with 1700.

Apple asked the FCC not to reveal all details of their application. I think they still have something up their sleeve.

Maybe when you bridge the two outside antennas you will get the perfect frequency

Check out this from Engadget. I don’t know of a single phone with 6 or more bands and don’t think Apple would only list 3 bands on their website, hiding two from their website, with a 6th hidden even from the FCC data. Nor do I think they submitted multiple devices to throw us off their trail. Makes no sense.
    Don’t get me wrong, my share of stock would love for this to happen, I just don’t think it’s likely given all the other evidence we have stating that it doesn’t have the 1700Mhz band.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Unlike T-Mobile's network, which uses the same technology but operates on a different frequency, Verizon is a completely different technology, which would require a more drastic redesign of the iPhone.

Doesn't Verizon already have some phones which include SIM cards and are capable of operating on GSM?
  • Reply 18 of 71
    atanneratanner Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I've been very happy with AT&T coverage and service. It is on the expensive side though. The new $15 data plans help a little bit, but I'd still consider switching to T-mobile if they can offer a much cheaper package.

AT&T's early upgrade promotion makes much more sense if another carrier is getting the iPhone this fall. The loop-hole with that is I can still sell my iPhone 4 on ebay and easily recoup the cost of the phone + AT&T's early termination fee. I'd probably make money after everything's said and done.

That may not be possible for much longer. iPhones have a high resale value as a lot of people want to hack them for T-Mobile. Once they can get a new handset subsidized by T-Mobile, the market for used iphones may dry up. Or, at least the price may come down.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can call it 3.9 but you can?t say 4? Why not 3.8, why 3.9? You don?t think rounding up 0.1 is okay considering the ?xG? nomenclature is in itself BS, which is why T-Mobile is already using ?4G? for HPSA.

You can call it 4G instead of 3.9G as long as you think 4Mbps is the same as 100Mbs.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I'd suggest that T-Mobile change their frequencies

It's possible this is easier.