Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

2456714

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 278
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post


    Wow. Logical fallacy.



    You can't really compare toyotas safety issues with apple's antenna sensitivity. They are vastly different in every way. The main one being that Toyota had nobody to point a finger at. The antenna problem is an industry wide phenomena, to some extent. Apple is mearly trying to show that they are being singled out for a problem that all phones have, even if it's not as extreme. Toyota had nobody else having the same or even marginally similar serious problems.



    Whether it was ethically right for apple to drag other people into the fray is questionable, but most of the companies entered it willingly to trash apple. But comparing them to Toyota is a bit extreme and logically fallacious.



    There is one bit of logic that no one can deny. Apple is the only one getting bad press regarding this issue. Apple is the only one that had to hold a press conference and then give something away to attempt to make the problem better. HTC, Motorola, Google have not had to say a word when it comes to their own products.
  • Reply 22 of 278
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    All the "death grip" examples posted by Apple simply prove what a joke antenna-gate was. It's looks like Apple was "snookered" into giving away free cases. All the whining may pay off in the long run. The next outcry on the internet won't be taken very seriously. Apple wins again.
  • Reply 23 of 278
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post


    this antenna issue seems to be put to rest at this point.



    now the real drama coming next is the glass.





    dropping an iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS has never been a cause for concern. now with the iPhone 4 it will be a major headache going forward.



    drop your phone and crack or shatter it and bam! you're out of $199 for a replacement. no sympathy, you broke it you pay!



    interesting months are ahead!









    Hmmmm...



    I've dropped a few things in my life (not too many, but enough)... not once did I go after the manufacturer to complain that my clumsiness was their fault and that they should replace the broken item.



    Are phones really any different? Has society changed that much?



    When did responsibility become passé?!
  • Reply 24 of 278
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    There is one bit of logic that no one can deny. Apple is the only one getting bad press regarding this issue. Apple is the only one that had to hold a press conference and then give something away to attempt to make the problem better. HTC, Motorola, Google have not had to say a word when it comes to their own products.



    Those are facts not logic. What judgement do those facts lead you to? That would be the logic (or lack there of).
  • Reply 25 of 278
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post


    All the "death grip" examples posted by Apple simply prove what a joke antenna-gate was. It's looks like Apple was "snookered" into giving away free cases. All the whining may pay off in the long run. The next outcry on the internet won't be taken very seriously. Apple wins again.



    No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.



    Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.
  • Reply 26 of 278
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.



    Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.



    Oh, I'm sorry. Finger-gate. Let the hysteria begin.
  • Reply 27 of 278
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Was Consumers Report not recommending Toyota right before all the issues came to light? Forget them - they did a poor job of managing the iPhone4 test.
  • Reply 28 of 278
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.



    Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.



    OTOH, show me a phone that has generated such a high level of press angst and blogging fury while at the same time having such a low level of returns...



    Antennagate is primarilly about Antennagate. Acutal signal issues exist, but have been deemed minor by the vast, vast majority of users. Eventually, it will burn itself out...
  • Reply 29 of 278
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.



    Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.



    Acually, I think apple's point is that signal attenuation, which was what everybody was freaking out about, happens in phones other than theirs. They aren't trying to prove everybody's is the same, just that it exists outside of iPhone 4.
  • Reply 30 of 278
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    iPhone 4s have a one year wannanty- that includes cover if you drop it.





    Joe,



    the applecare warranty just covers failing parts, not accidental damages



    make sure you're reading the fine print.



    http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html





    b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:



    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;



    (ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider),





    this is the part you have to be aware of "Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident"





    in other words, don't drop a phone made of glass!







  • Reply 31 of 278
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Hmmmm...



    I've dropped a few things in my life (not too many, but enough)... not once did I go after the manufacturer to complain that my clumsiness was their fault and that they should replace the broken item.



    Are phones really any different? Has society changed that much?



    When did responsibility become passé?!





    you are correct. it's not a manufacturers fault that you drop the item. hence, it's not covered.



    unfortunately most people think a warranty covers it.





    my point is that it will be interesting to see the potential fall out of this glass phone when more and more people get hit with reality of paying for a phone they just casually dropped.







    just saying!
  • Reply 32 of 278
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post


    Acually, I think apple's point is that signal attenuation, which was what everybody was freaking out about, happens in phones other than theirs. They aren't trying to prove everybody's is the same, just that it exists outside of iPhone 4.



    Everyone acknowledges that signal attenuation in all phones. That was never in dispute. People are freaking out about the Finger of Death which only the iPhone 4 has.



    Apple is pulling a complete end-around diversion to snooker people into thinking its design for the iPhone 4 is like everyone. But that's not correct, Apple decided to put the antenna in the grip of the phone with an insulated portion which when bridged causes massive signal attenuation, dropping from 5 to 0 bars. That is a design flaw that nobody else has done except Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 278
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post


    All phones suffer from death grip.



    Only the iPhone 4 suffers from the finger of death (and it's not that common):



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    Why is everyone (including Apple) obsessed with death grip when it isn't the real issue here?



    In strategy games and magic, it's called "misdirection".



    Thanks for posting the link to the fickle finger of death video. Apple seems happy to post videos of the competition, but nothing of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 34 of 278
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,787member
    Seriously folks the issue with the various death grips should not surprise anybody. All one needs to do is watch the little dances people do in low signal areas to get a connection. It is so common people don't realize that they are actively seeking to optimize antenna performance.



    As to touching the seam that is a separte issue as has already been pointed out. The thing here is the user has some responsibility to uses his %}{{^~ brains. I'm sorry folks but if you have come to the realization that touching the insullator affects reception, in your area, you have the responsibility and freedom to stop doing that.



    This can be likened to the guy that buys a power saw and touches the blade realizing it is sharp. He then takes this sharp power saw and cuts wood with it, which again should cause one to think this cuts quickly. If this person after all of this cuts off his finger is it really the manufactures fault. A product liability lawyer will go out of his way to prove the case that it is. But from the perspective of the average person if you do something stupid who is to blame. The same could be said for yhose buying dirt bikes, which by the way can be fun. But we all know the guy that cant seem to control himself and ends up taking a trip to the hospital. We dont blame the motorcycle manufacture here do we?



    Yet here with iPhone 4 we have people insisting that it is Apples fault that something bad happens when that insullator is touched. Sadly this is after people have learned that doing so causes problems in their location. Again to use motorcycles as an example it is like somebody grabbing a hot muffler and then blaming Harley or Honda for getting burned. If you know of a hot spot you should really avoid touching it.



    Dave
  • Reply 35 of 278
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post


    Acually, I think apple's point is that signal attenuation, which was what everybody was freaking out about, happens in phones other than theirs. They aren't trying to prove everybody's is the same, just that it exists outside of iPhone 4.



    Apple is trying to hide the severity of the iPhone 4 problem by omitting Field Test Mode from iOS 4. FTM would allow anyone anywhere any time to assess signal attenuation quantitatively (not just bars), just as FTM does on all previous versions of the iPhone OS running on all previous iPhone models.
  • Reply 36 of 278
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post


    Everyone acknowledges that signal attenuation in all phones. That was never in dispute. People are freaking out about the Finger of Death which only the iPhone 4 has.



    Apple is pulling a complete end-around diversion to snooker people into thinking its design for the iPhone 4 is like everyone. But that's not correct, Apple decided to put the antenna in the grip of the phone with an insulated portion which when bridged causes massive signal attenuation, dropping from 5 to 0 bars. That is a design flaw that nobody else has done except Apple.



    It only drops that much in low signal areas. If I am out and about, I can't get it to happen at all, not even one bar. Its only in places where signal is already low and even then I have yet to drop a call, where my boyfriends 3GS drops them regularly.



    And no, I don't think most people knew attenuation happens in most phones with different ways of holding it. I think the media has portrayed it as new to the iPhone 4. Move your finger half a milimeter and, tada! No problem. It's no different than needing to shift your palm if you cover the spot on the nokia or whatever other problem you deal with.
  • Reply 37 of 278
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post


    [...] I don't think most people knew attenuation happens in most phones with different ways of holding it.



    Likewise, most people viewing these videos don't know the iPhone 4 has a more serious problem of just being touched in that one spot to cause attenuation that is perhaps the worst of the bunch.



    Quote:

    I think the media has portrayed it as new to the iPhone 4.



    That would seem to be the case for some of the media, but not nearly all. Almost all of the media have echoed Apple's claims that the problem isn't unique to the iPhone 4. So what's the big deal with the media, other than their actually not probing Apple for more relevant details?



    Quote:

    Move your finger half a milimeter and, tada! No problem. It's no different than needing to shift your palm if you cover the spot on the nokia or whatever other problem you deal with.



    If it's no different in the magnitude of attenuation, then why do all of the videos Apple is posting of the competition show an extreme grip, why does Apple not show it's own video of the iPhone 4 finger of death, and why did Apple remove Field Test Mode from iOS 4?



    Apple has a $100M test facility operated by numerous PhDs. They certainly know what the issues are, but the public is treated like fools.
  • Reply 38 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    My 2008 Mac Book battery has expanded within the computer and the Apple online tech guy said it was a normal occurrence for safety reasons. That was a lie. The battery only had 19 cycles on it since it is mostly used as a desktop computer. If Apple doesn't acknowledge this as a defective unit after only 19 months I'll stop dealing with Apple too. I didn't buy Applecare. I dual booted Linux on an HP computer in part because of this situation. I'm preparing to give up on Apple if they don't act responsibly and replace this defective battery.



    Stop bitching about it on an internet forum and get yourself a free battery from Apple.



    As or lying, I have to think your comment is a “untrue" as an expanding battery is a potential fire hazard and has always been met with a swift replacement even up to 3.5 years from purchase. You’ve also claimed it has only 19 cycles on it when the battery will be 300 to 1000 (depending on the design) before it will only charge to 80%, which is even more proof that you should get a free replacement.



    My last battery expanded a year outside of the warranty. They not only gave me a new battery, but replaced the trackpad which was affected by the bulge and a new battery door because it had lost a rubber foot pad, which may or may not have been caused by the expanding battery.
  • Reply 39 of 278
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Seriously folks the issue with the various death grips should not surprise anybody. All one needs to do is watch the little dances people do in low signal areas to get a connection. It is so common people don't realize that they are actively seeking to optimize antenna performance.



    As to touching the seam that is a separte issue as has already been pointed out. The thing here is the user has some responsibility to uses his %}{{^~ brains I'm sorry folks but if you have come to the realization that touching the insullator affects reception, in your area, you have the responsibility and freedom to stop doing that



    Dave



    That would be all fine and dandy if the spot were somewhere out of the way. But it's where a lot of people rest their palms when using the phone for talking and for data. That's the problem! Also, this specific finger-gate issue is so easy to fix. All they have to do is insulate the damn thing. The bumper does this but so would a thin clear coating.
  • Reply 40 of 278
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post


    this antenna issue seems to be put to rest at this point.



    now the real drama coming next is the glass.





    dropping an iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS has never been a cause for concern. now with the iPhone 4 it will be a major headache going forward.



    drop your phone and crack or shatter it and bam! you're out of $199 for a replacement. no sympathy, you broke it you pay!



    interesting months are ahead!









    I had that problem four days after I got my iPhone 4. I opened my car door and my phone slid out of my pocket and landed on my drive way and basically shattered the back. I called apple and they told me I would have to pay 199 to get a replacement. So the following Saturday I went to the apple store to throw a stink when they were busy but I ended up not having to. I was in the middle of telling them what happened when the genius interrupted me and just said they will replace it no questions asked. Im pretty happy with their response.
Sign In or Register to comment.