RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    BTW... can anyone tell me why 'integrated social media interactivity' is in any way a 'feature'? If I really need to get minute-by-minute updates on strangers' inane activities, I have hundreds of options via various apps.



    When I saw the big display at the store advising that the blackberry now comes with the MySpace App, preloaded, I thought, OMG, they are now putting crapware on the phone and calling it a feature?



    I was made that my iPad did not have teh stocks app and the clock app. But I am sure glad it did not come with a MySpace App!
  • Reply 22 of 154
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    It looks like a pretty cool phone to me. It'll do well for the people who like Crack-berries. I like my iCrack still.
  • Reply 23 of 154
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Seems like AI would post a complete spec breakdown of the Torch comparing it to the iPhone 4. I'm interested to learn in what areas, if any, did RIM "one-up" Apple.



    Anyone else appreciate when competitors bring new features and technologies to the table?



    Yes - a hardware and software comparison would be great. Only by scrutinising great competitor products (as this probably is for many users) can we see what we also want in the iPhone or whatever our next phone product is.



    Also, really quite like back of this phone, looks pretty solid and that it'd stand up well to being thrown on the desk a lot of times.
  • Reply 24 of 154
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Does anyone even take AI as a real "news source" anymore? I equate this place to the Fox News of anything related to Apple.



    "RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz" That's an EXTREMELY opinionated statement and should have been left out of the title for journalistic integrity. You could literally place any company name in there that has ever held any kind of electronics event, but since they're trying to make a phone that appeals to people, suddenly they're trying to copy Apple, since obviously no other company has ever done this.



    /rant
  • Reply 25 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post


    I don’t mind it (The 9800) and OS6 looks to be vastly improved (Syncing over WIFI!). I know it doesn’t have an Apple logo on the back so it won’t get the majority of the Lemmings on this site to give it any consideration.



    "Apple-Like" Buzz? How do you know this, are you attending the event? Or is it a standard launch event like any other product? If it was truly an Apple-like event the audience would consist of a bunch or irrational disciples crying with every word that flowed out of the speaker’s mouth, and looking desperately for genitals on the new tech monolith to make love to.



    Hi apolongo,



    say hello to your daddy! BTW, shouldn't you be in bed by now?
  • Reply 26 of 154
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Meh, I think it looks fine. It's no iPhone, but it's attractive in its own way. You guys do know that the iPhone isn't the only attractive phone on the market







    Slider is bad imo. Plastic keys are bad. Combination of both is EPIC FAIL waiting to happen.
  • Reply 27 of 154
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post


    Apple shares like the new RIMM since it is another failed attempt as an iPhone killer. Can't wait to see the Black Pad with a slide out keyboard.



    The only thing that will kill the current iPhone is the iPhone 5.



    And it isn't necessary that RIM kill the iPhone - the market place is one huge playground... if you don't come correct, you don't get to play in it. See Microsoft's Kin.
  • Reply 28 of 154
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    "with multi-tough input gestures"?



    Somehow I don't think that will make it very easy to use, but I'm just guessing.
  • Reply 29 of 154
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    Does anyone even take AI as a real "news source" anymore? I equate this place to the Fox News of anything related to Apple.



    Why are your always here then? Go troll a 'proper' news site.
  • Reply 30 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post


    I don’t mind it (The 9800) and OS6 looks to be vastly improved (Syncing over WIFI!). I know it doesn’t have an Apple logo on the back so it won’t get the majority of the Lemmings on this site to give it any consideration.



    "Apple-Like" Buzz? How do you know this, are you attending the event? Or is it a standard launch event like any other product? If it was truly an Apple-like event the audience would consist of a bunch or irrational disciples crying with every word that flowed out of the speaker’s mouth, and looking desperately for genitals on the new tech monolith to make love to.



    Did you just create an account to troll?
  • Reply 31 of 154
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Zzz ...and... First! ... Argfhh beaten to it



    No... You're Not, and have a nice nap



    Looks like a serious handset for serious users, too bad about the chosen network.
  • Reply 32 of 154
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    Why are your always here then? Go troll a 'proper' news site.



    lol, just imagine what his post count would be if he actually liked this place.
  • Reply 33 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    I supposed that's why almost every phone in the past 3 years has been a flat out copy then (other than retro throw-backs like this)?

    Chicklet keyboards? ... please.



    I have noticed that a lot of smart phones since the iPhone have looked a lot like the iPhone, down to copying its original shiny metallic-looking bezel (see Samsung Mystic, which is otherwise a crappy WinMo6 phone). Pressure based touch screens quickly gave way to capacitive touch screens, pen input was out, finger input was in, and everyone has full screens now.



    I can't say you're wrong about that. But this Torch model seems like an attempt to merge the best attributes of the iPhone touch screen experience with the strengths of the classic Blackberry. Of course it's going to look like this. And yes, Apple fans (like me) will probably not get it. But it might be the right product for Blackberry.



    I think there's room in the market for more than just the iPhone form factor, but few handset manufacturers seem willing to color outside of the lines drawn by Apple!
  • Reply 34 of 154
    bobkbobk Posts: 2member
    It looks like the Palm Pre. needs a better app store too. Guess if your only choice for a phone, through your work, would be Blackberry, then it might be the best one out there.
  • Reply 35 of 154
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    Does anyone even take AI as a real "news source" anymore? I equate this place to the Fox News of anything related to Apple.



    "RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz" That's an EXTREMELY opinionated statement and should have been left out of the title for journalistic integrity. You could literally place any company name in there that has ever held any kind of electronics event, but since they're trying to make a phone that appeals to people, suddenly they're trying to copy Apple, since obviously no other company has ever done this.



    /rant



    Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America and you're trying to equate it somehow to a single issue website.
  • Reply 36 of 154
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post




    Looks like a serious handset for serious users, too bad about the chosen network.



    +1 for trying.
  • Reply 37 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    Sorry for being dense, but what use is the optical trackpad? Is it for people that are trying to avoid fingerprints on their touch screens?





    The previous track ball design was problematic. They often broke or filled up with cruft.



    I don't think it is much of an iPhone copy at all - except maybe the Webkit part.



    The other handset makers probably won't go the external antenna route any time soon. No one wants to copy that feature.
  • Reply 38 of 154
    There are a lot of loyal BlackBerry users out there who just can´t live without that keyboard so i guess this is a good phone for them, just another BB but i do think this is a mistake for them, if BB users get to comfortable using the touchscreen to the point they lose their "fear" to use it i think in the long run they´ll just get an iPhone instead.
  • Reply 39 of 154
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    Sorry for being dense, but what use is the optical trackpad? Is it for people that are trying to avoid fingerprints on their touch screens?



    I'd assume it is there for all the existing Blackberry customers who are used to a trackpad.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Whenever I see this line, I (like many people) just think "automatic fail." Virtual keyboards have proven themselves to be faster and easier to use in general than the ones with the little plastic keys and this is a full-screen touchscreen phone for cripes sake.



    Talking with people I know with Blackberries, the lack of a physical keyboard puts many of them off switching to an iPhone and those that do switch say a physical keyboard is the thing they miss the most.



    I believe RiM's past attempts at a touchscreen only phone (the Storm and Storm 2) didn't sell very well. You have to cater to your audience and in the case of RiM that means including a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 40 of 154
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    I have noticed that a lot of smart phones since the iPhone have looked a lot like the iPhone, down to copying its original shiny metallic-looking bezel (see Samsung Mystic, which is otherwise a crappy WinMo6 phone). Pressure based touch screens quickly gave way to capacitive touch screens, pen input was out, finger input was in, and everyone has full screens now.



    I can't say you're wrong about that. But this Torch model seems like an attempt to merge the best attributes of the iPhone touch screen experience with the strengths of the classic Blackberry. Of course it's going to look like this. And yes, Apple fans (like me) will probably not get it. But it might be the right product for Blackberry.



    I think there's room in the market for more than just the iPhone form factor, but few handset manufacturers seem willing to color outside of the lines drawn by Apple!



    Agreed!



    You kinda expect more from the pioneers. I'm actually shocked by the similarity in feature and function between all of these devices.



    In my opinion, the iPhone 4 is a thing of beauty. I absolutely love the antenna design, the FaceTime, the gyroscope, Visual voicemail, the front and back glass - everything is on point and unique. Sure, it isn't perfect - but it's the closet thing to perfection that I've owned.
Sign In or Register to comment.