RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

124678

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    Torch? Ironically that's what I'd like to do to my work BlackBerry!







    Btw, the product looks ugly. (I know it's a subjective opinion).
  • Reply 62 of 154
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Why is this being compared to Apple? Apple generates buzz by trying to keep the product a secret. If anything it should be compared to a Microsoft launch event.
  • Reply 63 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sophace View Post


    I am as big an apple fan as the next guy, my wife has an iPhone and I have an iPad, but this comment is a little shortsighted in my opinion. The keyboard on the blackberry is what has made it successful in its original core market, the business market. For the majority of these users, email and phone is what you use it for, not apps and the web. I think RIM is smart to try and combine the full screen for apps and web, and a physical keyboard for email. Additionally, RIM puts some intelligence into their keyboard design, unlike the Palm Pre or even the Droid with its terrible keyboard.



    One thing that RIM is finally starting to capitalize on for the consumer market is BB Messenger. People are sticking with their BlackBerry's because their friends have them and using BBM is free and very convenient. This phone could help with the texting/web trade off too.



    My 2 cents.



    Again, fair enough. But that market is dwindling all the same, and Blackberry is losing market share all the same.



    BB messenger is also under attack also because the main reason it's popular is it's secure. This is why the business people use it and why smart young girls use it to text each other. Today Blackberry announced for the first time that they are be open to "changing" the way the service runs so that places like United Arab Emirates can spy on the communications. So say goodbye to the main reason for using BB Messenger.



    I think they should keep making the old-style keyboard phones for their main market of course. What I'm saying is that they should also be making a touch-screen model that echews the physical keyboard if they want to stay in the same position in the market. They are losing share, and losing hearts and minds.
  • Reply 64 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Looks like a serious handset for serious users, too bad about the chosen network.



    Do you know anyone that makes non-serious handsets for serious users, or vice versa?
  • Reply 65 of 154
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Meh, I think it looks fine. It's no iPhone, but it's attractive in its own way. You guys do know that the iPhone isn't the only attractive phone on the market







    Maybe, but it is the MOST attractive phone on the market, and we don't like second-best.
  • Reply 66 of 154
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    RIM has not the Epic Hero, Steve Jobs (RDF +10).





    That is why they are selling so few phones these days!
  • Reply 67 of 154
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post


    When I saw the big display at the store advising that the blackberry now comes with the MySpace App, preloaded, I thought, OMG, they are now putting crapware on the phone and calling it a feature?



    I was made that my iPad did not have teh stocks app and the clock app. But I am sure glad it did not come with a MySpace App!



    Apple's real genius is what they DON'T put on the iPad. Everybody already know how to use it!
  • Reply 68 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Again, fair enough. But that market is dwindling all the same, and Blackberry is losing market share all the same.



    BB messenger is also under attack also because the main reason it's popular is it's secure. This is why the business people use it and why smart young girls use it to text each other. Today Blackberry announced for the first time that they are be open to "changing" the way the service runs so that places like United Arab Emirates can spy on the communications. So say goodbye to the main reason for using BB Messenger.



    I think they should keep making the old-style keyboard phones for their main market of course. What I'm saying is that they should also be making a touch-screen model that echews the physical keyboard if they want to stay in the same position in the market. They are losing share, and losing hearts and minds.



    No phone is secure when it come to government intervention - every carrier co-operates with governments to allow lawful interception of calls, texts, emails... the iPhone is no more secure than a Blackberry. I would argue BBM users would care less about their chats being screened than iPhone 4 users should be about the latest crack being able to be completed through Safari Mobile, that is scary potential for hackers.



    Again, not bashing Apple, I have a lot of apple hardware, just adding perspective.
  • Reply 69 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post


    I may be an iPhone lover, but being that I live in the Waterloo area (where RIM is headquartered) and some of my paycheque actually comes from RIM funding, this seems very wrong that one of RIM's biggest products in a long time is being introduced on a US Carrier.



    Just go with it. You should be used to Canada not being at the center of the world
  • Reply 70 of 154
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Let's remember than RIM is still the world's second biggest smartphone manufacturer, both in terms of profits and units sold, before criticising them too much.



    Source.
  • Reply 71 of 154
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post


    Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America and you're trying to equate it somehow to a single issue website.



    Wow- I'm a moderate Republican, but I refuse to watch Fox, due to obvious bias. Why would you possibly think Fox is the most trusted news site (among Republicans, perhaps, but how bout everyone else). Give me a break, and give me a trusted link to back up your remark.
  • Reply 72 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


    ...I believe RiM's past attempts at a touchscreen only phone (the Storm and Storm 2) didn't sell very well. You have to cater to your audience and in the case of RiM that means including a physical keyboard.



    I think Orlando is right. As a reformed Crackberry addict, I have no desire for a physical keyboard again. However, there are millions that say the same thing about my iPhone 4 virtual keybaord, so why not try to cater to your base? You can't rely on converts at this late stage, but your installed base could be a goldmine to mine. So don't be so cavalier about the Torch.



    That said, it's still not going to expand market share, which is likely to keep shrinking especially here in North America. It won't be too much longer before iOS and Android hold most of all the chips at the table, with RIMM (and even Windows Phone 7 and Nokia) sitting on the outside looking in. More businesses are letting you "bring you own" to work, and as that happens, it is going to get harder and harder for these others to protect their market shares.
  • Reply 73 of 154
    Not sure about this. Isn't the screen resolution a bit on the low side for a supposed flagship device? And a keyboard and touchscreen combined? I mean who is crying out for both?



    I've nothing against Blackberry. Professional-looking devices. But it just feels a bit desperate. And is it gonna be that much cheaper than an iPhone?
  • Reply 74 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    I have noticed that a lot of smart phones since the iPhone have looked a lot like the iPhone, down to copying its original shiny metallic-looking bezel (see Samsung Mystic, which is otherwise a crappy WinMo6 phone). Pressure based touch screens quickly gave way to capacitive touch screens, pen input was out, finger input was in, and everyone has full screens now.



    I can't say you're wrong about that. But this Torch model seems like an attempt to merge the best attributes of the iPhone touch screen experience with the strengths of the classic Blackberry. Of course it's going to look like this. And yes, Apple fans (like me) will probably not get it. But it might be the right product for Blackberry.



    I think there's room in the market for more than just the iPhone form factor, but few handset manufacturers seem willing to color outside of the lines drawn by Apple!



    How much different do you think a phone can be made? All plasma, LCD, and LED TVs look the same since Phillips introduced the first plasma for consumers. I don't see anyone crying about that. The iPhone 4 looks a lot like the LG Pravda that was out just before the iPhone 2G. Remember RIM still sells more phones than Apple does and I'm sure this one will sell quite well. Having a event to showcase a product us not unique to Apple, corporations have been doing it for years
  • Reply 75 of 154
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post


    Wow- I'm a moderate Republican, but I refuse to watch Fox, due to obvious bias. Why would you possibly think Fox is the most trusted news site (among Republicans, perhaps, but how bout everyone else). Give me a break, and give me a trusted link to back up your remark.



    He thinks it is because Fox News tells him so
  • Reply 76 of 154
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post


    I don?t mind it (The 9800) and OS6 looks to be vastly improved (Syncing over WIFI!). I know it doesn?t have an Apple logo on the back so it won?t get the majority of the Lemmings on this site to give it any consideration.



    "Apple-Like" Buzz? How do you know this, are you attending the event? Or is it a standard launch event like any other product? If it was truly an Apple-like event the audience would consist of a bunch or irrational disciples crying with every word that flowed out of the speaker?s mouth, and looking desperately for genitals on the new tech monolith to make love to.



    Let me see if i can encapsulate your comment a little more succinctly:



    "Waaaa!"
  • Reply 77 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post


    I am not sure security is the reason that young girls use BBM. They like it because of features not found in texting and emails - setting up groups (i.e. cliques), adding contacts by scanning a barcode, better storing of chat history, etc.



    They use BBM for several reasons. Its included in the BB service, meaning it doesn't count as a SMS/MMS, the msgs aren't limited to 160 characters and its almost instantaneous.
  • Reply 78 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post


    Let's remember than RIM is still the world's second biggest smartphone manufacturer, both in terms of profits and units sold, before criticising them too much.



    Source.



    Second in smartphone profits compared to whom -- i.e., who's first?
  • Reply 79 of 154
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 178member
    Looking at the photo of the new BB, I can't help but notice the huge AT&T logo on the home screen. I haven't seen that on a phone in a long time. Seeing this just make me appreciate the fact that Apple does not allow carriers to place their logo, except at the top bar, anywhere on the phone. Imagine turning on an iPad or iPhone and seeing the AT&T logo pop up. How annoying.



    I think the new BlackBerry will keep a few of those that want to move away from the Blackberry world, but due to the lack applications compared to Android and Apple, many people will move on.
  • Reply 80 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Again, fair enough. But that market is dwindling all the same, and Blackberry is losing market share all the same.



    BB messenger is also under attack also because the main reason it's popular is it's secure. This is why the business people use it and why smart young girls use it to text each other. Today Blackberry announced for the first time that they are be open to "changing" the way the service runs so that places like United Arab Emirates can spy on the communications. So say goodbye to the main reason for using BB Messenger.



    I think they should keep making the old-style keyboard phones for their main market of course. What I'm saying is that they should also be making a touch-screen model that echews the physical keyboard if they want to stay in the same position in the market. They are losing share, and losing hearts and minds.



    Read again RIM denied that report.
Sign In or Register to comment.