Report: Next Apple TV to be renamed iTV, drop 1080p

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new report says the next update to Apple TV will adopt the name iTV, while also dropping support for 1080p video output to standardize on 720p HDTV.

Continuing upon the Engadget rumor that the next generation Apple TV will move from a scaled down Mac running Front Row software to an iOS device that works like a screen-less iPod touch, the latest wrinkle says the new model will get its former "iTV" codename.

Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs originally introduced the device (a few months before it shipped) under the iTV name while noting that the company was still looking for a permanent name. Apple TV was subsequently released as Apple announced the iPhone in early 2007.

Kicking apps

Since then, Apple has built up the iTunes App Store for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices but left Apple TV to sit in maintenance mode, collecting few features and never getting an official SDK of its own that would enable third parties to extend its features.

By converting Apple TV into an iOS device, the company could erect a third new wing of apps in iTunes. The popularity of iPad (which has collected a portfolio of over 20,000 apps in just a few months) suggests tremendous potential for a TV-oriented iOS product.

Apple's ability to rapidly muscle into the market for portable gaming could similarly be repeated by giving existing App Store developers the ability to quickly port and optimize many of their existing games to work on HDTV sets, providing a very cheap alternative to more serious console gaming devices.

If released alongside iPod touch 4 expected next month, Apple could decisively leverage the current excitement surrounding iPad to inhale lots of HDTV users during the holiday season at a time when the growth of the Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PS3, and Nintendo Wii are all maturing.

Taking names

Apple has also grown adept at taking names that appeared to belong to other companies. In 2007, "iPhone" was cordless telephone product owned by Cisco. Apple has since absorbed the rights to iPad (claimed by other hardware makers) and iOS (Cisco's router operating system).

That makes it more likely that Apple has the interest and capacity to begin using iTV, despite its trademarked use by UK broadcasters (the Independent Television Authority, a competitor to the BBC).

No 1080p in iTunes

The shift toward a smaller, cheaper device that uses network streaming rather than Apple TV's hard drive for local storage also likely necessitates using the same video output of iPhone 4 and iPad, which is 1024x768 (or perhaps the very similar 720p HDTV resolution).

Apple sells HD content in iTunes as 720p. Higher resolution 1080p is an alternative HD standard, but video experts note that the difference in resolution is not visible to users at a normal TV viewing distance unless the screen is larger than 55 inches.

For Apple's mass market users, a cheaper device that streams easy to buy and view HDTV content makes far more sense than the current Apple TV, which requires syncing with a local iTunes system or downloadable storage for rentals.

Such a device would seem to necessitate HDMI output, rather than the VGA output currently offered by iPhone 4 and iPad, as few HDTV sets or video projectors still support VGA-style inputs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 231
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I hope it comes out at the September iPod event. This will let me get rid of my cable box and just get the Netflix and Hulu Plus apps. I wouldn't be surprised to see the networks go all out in trying to make content available for this device through apps.
  • Reply 2 of 231
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    dropping 1080p goes against Apple's philosophy of providing newer, better technologies.

plus, the people that would want an iTV are people with extra money and those people have larger screens and would appreciate the higher quality.

Apple again, driving towards the low end.
  • Reply 3 of 231
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    I find it interesting they're going back to the original name. I prefer "Apple TV" over "iTV." Even though the whole "i" thing is their sort of trademark, I liked that "Apple TV" was different; it has a better ring to it. Though maybe they're trying to sort of revamp the whole thing.
  • Reply 4 of 231
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

dropping 1080p goes against Apple's philosophy of providing newer, better technologies.

plus, the people that would want an iTV are people with extra money and those people have larger screens and would appreciate the higher quality.

probably hard to do full 1080p with the iDevice spec. Also if it's going full streaming bandwidth is going to be a problem.

I just hope that they won't drop support for the old Apple TV.
  • Reply 5 of 231
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Too much iNames! This is getting very old. Apple TV sounds very nice.
  • Reply 6 of 231
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

I find it interesting they're going back to the original name. I prefer "Apple TV" over "iTV." Even though the whole "i" thing is their sort of trademark, I liked that "Apple TV" was different; it has a better ring to it. Though maybe they're trying to sort of revamp the whole thing.

...and there is the issue of ITV being the name of a TV channel in the UK since the 1950s...
  • Reply 7 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report says the next update to Apple TV will adopt the name iTV, while also dropping support for 1080p video output to standardize on 720p HDTV. ...

WebTV here we come!
  • Reply 8 of 231
    Drop 1080p !!!!

What a mistake !!!!

So I'll still buy the next DVICO TVIX device.
  • Reply 9 of 231
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Too much iNames! This is getting very old. Apple TV sounds very nice.

You better get used to it. Apple is becoming more entangled in the "i" nomenclature as the years press on, not less. Their future is built upon it.
  • Reply 10 of 231
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MandrakeTheMagician View Post

Drop 1080p !!!!

What a mistake !!!!

So I'll still buy the next DVICO TVIX device.

No 1080p takes it off my buy list and recomend list.
  • Reply 11 of 231
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

People with extra money are better off with a Mac Mini now that it has HDMI output. For iTV to be a consumer device Apple needs to lower the price below the current AppleTV $229 price. They need to go down as low as $149 and maybe $99, which means stripping the device to bare minimum.
  • Reply 12 of 231
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

The iTV is said to cost $99 by Engadget. You're even contradicting yourself by saying it's for the wealthy and at the same time saying they're catering to the low end.

As for 1080p most consumers can't even tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and an upscaled DVD.

As it is now only small percentage of HDTV owners have 1080p. And even if Apple were to sell 1080p it wouldn't be true 1080p like Blu-Ray because of the massive size of the files.
  • Reply 13 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The iTV is said to cost $99 by Engadget. You're even contradicting yourself by saying it's for the wealthy and at the same time saying they're catering to the low end.

As for 1080p most consumers can't even tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and an upscaled DVD.

As it is now only small percentage of HDTV owners have 1080p. And even if Apple were to sell 1080p it wouldn't be true 1080p like Blu-Ray because of the massive size of the files.

Most consumers can't even tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and upscaled DVD ???????

Are you kidding ??? Just open your eyes ....

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 231
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Sounds great.

I hope it comes out because I sold my original 40 GB Apple TV last month.

I do not think 1080p is a huge loss. One of its main things will be streaming video and few people really have the bandwidth to stream 1080p.

Apps sound cool as well.

As long as this thing is cheap, it could do really well. The price will make or break it most likely. Apple will just not be able to command a premium on this one.
  • Reply 15 of 231
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MandrakeTheMagician View Post

Most consumers can't even tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and upscaled DVD ???????

Are you kidding ??? Just open your eyes ....

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on the size of the TV. 50" or bigger then there is a difference.

Upscaled DVD is not that good. You do have a vision problem if you can't tell the difference between that and 720p.
  • Reply 16 of 231
    gemgem Posts: 7member
    Im sorry but I disagree that recent experience suggests Apple will be able to use the name iTV. The issue is that whilst the others are names which were no longer used, ITV is one of the 5 main TV stations in the UK and as it is a product effectively forming your own TV station I highly doubt they will allow usage of the name. There would be too much confusion for everyone in the UK who knows ITV as a TV station that has been around for decades, its like if they released a product called NBC. Its just a bit ridiculous.
  • Reply 17 of 231
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

No 1080p in iTunes

The 1080p isn't the biggest issue, it's the 5 Mbps max bit rate that sucks. It's ok for the low quality web video snippets, but I wouldn't pay for that. Not where there are better alternatives out there for a lower price.
  • Reply 18 of 231
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

...and there is the issue of ITV being the name of a TV channel in the UK since the 1950s...

It wouldn't be the first time Apple copied another product's name.
  • Reply 19 of 231
    laleslales Posts: 33member
    Quote:

but video experts note that the difference in resolution is not visible to users at a normal TV viewing distance unless the screen is larger than 55 inches.

Total rubbish. Prior to this bit of PR nonsense (which I can't believe AppleInsider regurgitates), 40" or greater was ALWAYS considered the mark. I've never before read anything about 55" being the rez barrier. EVER.

IF this rumor is true, I think it'll be a BIG, BIG problem from a marketing standpoint, since the other download services do offer 1080p DLs. I can almost guarantee the competition (I'm talking to you Google & MS) will use this limitation in their own marketing.

Lack of blu-ray support is bad enough, but continuing to offer lower-rez options will be a road Apple will regret traveling. I'm a fanboy, and if true, this would turn me off about considering iTV.
  • Reply 20 of 231
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Apple sells HD content in iTunes as 720p. Higher resolution 1080p is an alternative HD standard, but video experts note that the difference in resolution is not visible to users at a normal TV viewing distance unless the screen is larger than 55 inches.

Yep. Nobody can really see 1080p except for a tiny, tiny percentage who have gigantic tv sets.

Apple is smart to get rid of the useless 1080p frmat.