Verizon CDMA iPhone currently undergoing testing - rumor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Putztacular View Post

It's for VZ. It is LTE with CDMA fallback. I'm willing to bet it 's the MDM 9600 below. Gruber is not aware of it or it would have been in his article.

November 12, 2009

The MDM9200 and the MDM9600 chipsets are the industry's first multi-mode 3G/LTE solutions that allow UMTS and CDMA2000® operators to upgrade seamlessly to future LTE services while preserving backward compatibility to their existing 3G networks. MDM9200 supports UMTS, HSPA+ and LTE, while the MDM9600 supports CDMA2000® 1X, EV-DO Rev. B, SV-DO, SV-LTE, UMTS, HSPA+ and LTE. All of the new chipsets support FDD LTE and TDD LTE modes and different carrier bandwidths, and are capable of using orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA) and multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO) antenna technology to support peak data rates of up to 100 Mbps on the downlink and 50 Mbps on the uplink.

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/release...multi-mode-3gl

Unless Apple plans to release a Verizon iPad or Mac notebooks with Verizon data cards (which would be great) I don't see how that is relevant to the iPhone. I'm under the impression the MDM 9600 is a Gobi chip that does not do any voice. Not that CDMA can't be added, but I would assume that if this tech is only suitable for larger devices with larger batteries that the chips and power needs are too high for a cellphone. Now consider that Apple loves to shrinking their products while increasing it's battery duration.

Also note that Apple's first iPhone was EDGE only. AT&T's 3G network in 2007 was many times larger in size and customer usage than Verizon's 4G network will be in January 2010. I don't see LTE being something to expect for the first CDMA iPhone, and certainly don't see a "world mode" iPhone unless Apple has invented TARDIS technology (which will make BBC as furious as ITV execs).
  • Reply 62 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless Apple plans to release a Verizon iPad or Mac notebooks with Verizon data cards (which would be great) I don't see how that is relevant to the iPhone. I'm under the impression the MDM 9600 is a Gobi chip that does not do any voice. Not that CDMA can't be added, but I would assume that if this tech is only suitable for larger devices with larger batteries that the chips and power needs are too high for a cellphone. Now consider that Apple loves to shrinking their products while increasing it's battery duration.

Also note that Apple's first iPhone was EDGE only. AT&T's 3G network in 2007 was many times larger in size and customer usage than Verizon's 4G network will be in January 2010. I don't see LTE being something to expect for the first CDMA iPhone, and certainly don't see a "world mode" iPhone unless Apple has invented TARDIS technology (which will make BBC as furious as ITV execs).

I think you're right, thanks for the correction. I was searching for the MSM when the MDM popped up. I figured Qualcomm changed the nomenclature for LTE since it had been so long since I'd been to their site. There is a candidate MSM that is CDMA and LTE:

BARCELONA, Spain ? February 16, 2009 ? Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, today introduced the industry's first chipset solution for advanced Smartphones supporting CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. B and Simultaneous Voice-Data Operation (SV-DO), as well as multi-carrier HSPA+ and LTE. The Mobile Station Modem?(MSM?) MSM8960? chipset is the industry's only complete integrated solution that supports all of the world's leading mobile broadband standards. The chipset is compatible with Smartphone platforms based on Qualcomm's other MSM8x60 chipsets, delivering significant economies of scale to device manufacturers who are designing cutting-edge devices based on those solutions. The MSM8960 is scheduled to sample in mid-2010.

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/release...ntegrated-solu