Popular iPhone camera app pulled over "Easter egg" shutter button

1235710

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    It got them a lot of attention and it showed that they could do it. If everyone just slavishly follows the rules life becomes a little dull. Jobs himself said it was better to be a pirate than join the navy - stretching what authority says you can do is fun.





    This is an attitude that I see displayed quite often nowadays and one that I find disappointing, to say the least. Does that mean that you think it's ok to cheat "just a little" on your taxes .... to drive over the speed limit "just a little" because you decide it's ok (even if you're raising the risk factor for everyone else) .... maybe driving while only slightly impaired ?



    I know that these examples may seem trivial but ask someone who's lost a loved one due to someone speeding or through an impaired driver..... they won't think it's so trivial.



    I think it's sad when people think you only should live an honorable life, if it's convenient .... and for you to stand up and say it's fun to stretch what authority says you can do is more a testament on your morality than you should want. \
  • Reply 82 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post


    Apple is the one doing the cheating. By being *****





    Put a lot of thought into that ..... did ya?
  • Reply 83 of 188
    dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    This is an attitude that I see displayed quite often nowadays and one that I find disappointing, to say the least. Does that mean that you think it's ok to cheat "just a little" on your taxes .... to drive over the speed limit "just a little" because you decide it's ok (even if you're raising the risk factor for everyone else) .... maybe driving while only slightly impaired ?



    I know that these examples may seem trivial but ask someone who's lost a loved one due to someone speeding or through an impaired driver..... they won't think it's so trivial.



    I think it's sad when people think you only should live an honorable life, if it's convenient .... and for you to stand up and say it's fun to stretch what authority says you can do is more a testament on your morality than you should want. \



    Now we're equating writing a piece of software with endangering the public? I don't have a problem with Apple pushing back, but, neither do I have a problem with tap3 trying to push the envelope. I have a problem with whomever released the backdoor/test code to the public.
  • Reply 84 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post


    But, effectively, they are saying "shut up and assume the position!" a little too often, that's all.





    So is it Apple's fault that a developer doesn't want to agree to a contract that he willingly entered into ..... that's kinda weird logic .. don't you think?
  • Reply 85 of 188
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I hope TapTap puts the app back. Trying to sneak one past Apple isn't kosher.



    Apple makes these demands to keep the interface consistent. Otherwise you'd have three or four apps on your phone that monkey around with deep system stuff. Would they all remember to clean up after themselves? Do it the right way? Exit gracefully?



    Say you're using the camera and there's a phone call, but the volume button isn't available to you, and from clicking on one button or another, you've turned down the sound to near zero. Can you turn it back?



    I know there are lots of people who love the "freedom" of junky programming. I don't. There's an OS for you now, if Larry Ellison lets you keep it.
  • Reply 86 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Lord Jobs steers the photo industry you know.



    No, just the Apple industry .... which he has every right and obligation to the shareholders to do. Next question?
  • Reply 87 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Stop being a tool. No one missed you when you were banned - in fact, we only realized you were gone after you mentioned it 10 times.



    It's not his fault. A monkee can't change the fact he's a monkee ..... nor can a tool change the fact that he's a tool...... sad, but true.
  • Reply 88 of 188
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post


    Seriously? You want to take that tack? Do you even remember the state of cell phones before the iPhone? If the network didn't want a particular feature enabled, it was disabled. Apple pushed that boundary. As for cancer, do you have any idea how far and hard they push boundaries in medical research? Why there are so many checks and balances on that process? So much animal testing? You need to shut up. Your ignorance is showing.

    Cheers,

    Dim



    Wow! Nice third post!
  • Reply 89 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    You missed me and you know it. I'm the only voice of truth on this whole insane forum. And it's my pleasure, really.





    "Delusions of Grandeur" are nothing to be proud of .... don't cha you know?
  • Reply 90 of 188
    ded48ded48 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    It's only for the Camera+ app.





    "camplus://enablevolumesnap" - that's the URL





    I entered the URL and it worked like a charm the first time but will not work again. Any ideas why?
  • Reply 91 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post


    Have you ever tried to use an onscreen touch-based interface on a device that is in your pocket?





    Using your hands to "play with something in your pocket" .... well, as Martha Steward might say .... "that's not a good thing" ...... (fun, just not good)
  • Reply 92 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post


    If people never challenged the "rules" Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere, President Obama wouldn't be President, two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage, WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with.

    The fault lies with whomever released the developer backdoor to the public.



    1. Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere... what "rule" did he break?



    2. President Obama wouldn't be President .... what "rule" did he break?



    3. two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage .... what "rule" did they break?



    4. WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with .... what rules was broken?



    Don't confuse "rules of conventional wisdom" with rules of society or rules of law. We have enough people here more than willing to do that already.
  • Reply 93 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post


    Now we're equating writing a piece of software with endangering the public? I don't have a problem with Apple pushing back, but, neither do I have a problem with tap3 trying to push the envelope. I have a problem with whomever released the backdoor/test code to the public.





    My problem is when a developer knowingly circumvents an agreement he signed, made 500K by doing so and is now crying to the public because he got pulled from the store. Where you see pushing the envelope .... I see breaking the rules .... different strokes for different folks.
  • Reply 94 of 188
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    1. Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere... what "rule" did he break?



    2. President Obama wouldn't be President .... what "rule" did he break?



    3. two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage .... what "rule" did they break?



    4. WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with .... what rules was broken?



    Don't confuse "rules of conventional wisdom" with rules of society or rules of law. We have enough people here more than willing to do that already.



    Anyone equating cancer research to violating a developer agreement can't be taken serious. Obama? LOL
  • Reply 95 of 188
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    Anyone equating cancer research to violating a developer agreement can't be taken serious. Obama? LOL







    Are you even responding to the right post ?????
  • Reply 96 of 188
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    My problem is when a developer knowingly circumvents an agreement he signed, made 500K by doing so and is now crying to the public because he got pulled from the store. Where you see pushing the envelope .... I see breaking the rules .... different strokes for different folks.



    With all due respect, this particular developer isn't crying to the public. It's the public doing all the crying. She's been rather calm about it on her blog and Twitter.
  • Reply 97 of 188
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Are you even responding to the right post ?????



    I'm telling you to not take this poster serious.
  • Reply 98 of 188
    That Tweet cost them a bundle. Dummies.
  • Reply 99 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


    I agree, not allowing the use of volume buttons for other purposes is rule that does real harm: it?s something you can?t do!



    Let us remember, however, that this rule ALSO has benefits, and not pretend it?s a one-sided move of pure evil. The positive: the volume buttons on your device always work I think it?s a rule that does more harm than good. And Android has rules too, much as people like to think otherwise. If you want pure anarchy, you?re going to have to hack something?an iPhone or otherwise.



    (Also, why would I want a clicky button that makes the camera jerk and blur, when the current soft-tap shutter makes my iPhone a more stable and sharp camera than my ?real? camera? To each his own, of course. This is a good example to use when asking, ?exactly what is it that Apple won?t allow that you need to have Android for?? If a small UI function like this is important to you, then it?s good that the Android choice exists. You will, however, find OTHER problems with camera operation and general UI on Android?there?s no free lunch )



    I do like the apps (which Apple DOES allow) that give you a full-screen shutter button for tapping without having to look. It?s a good idea?although I manage to ?feel? the existing shutter button pretty well anyway?it?s right above the physical Home button.



    How arrogant these developers are to think they know a better use for my volume buttons than to control volume!!



    Seriously though, you break the rules and get caught it's no one's fault but your own. I wish we lived in a world with personal responsibility again, instead of one where we just get mad and blame everyone else for our poor decisions.
  • Reply 100 of 188
    dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    1. Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere... what "rule" did he break?



    2. President Obama wouldn't be President .... what "rule" did he break?



    3. two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage .... what "rule" did they break?



    4. WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with .... what rules was broken?



    Don't confuse "rules of conventional wisdom" with rules of society or rules of law. We have enough people here more than willing to do that already.



    So, which is a developer agreement? "rule of law" or "rule of society"? When you say law, please tell me when I can expect to hear about an arrest in the heinous case.

    Dim
Sign In or Register to comment.