Apple manager charged with leaking secrets for kickbacks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

There should be an asterisk after "inside" and it should say:

*Except for backdating stock options.

Backdated stock options are the norm in my experience, and not in the least unethical. The only legal or ethical issue is disclosure. Let's lay off the mud on this one.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Well exactly, but the burden of proof is on you with your insane prejudices and ideas. Sounds like the article has more detail and depth than any of your 'doubts'. Until Dr. Doppio is given some kind of official recognition, the only spot open for you is in the gutter-snipe section.

I'm sure you live in a fantastical bizarro universe, but until you produce some actual photos... don't get mad if everyone else says it's only in your imagination. Is Oswald in there with you?

You sound hurt, oxygenhose. Do you know that smoking is bad for you?
  • Reply 43 of 94
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Backdated stock options are the norm in my experience, and not in the least unethical. The only legal or ethical issue is disclosure. Let's lay off the mud on this one.

Quite right. Backdating is perfectly legal. The problem which can come up is when the value of the options is not correctly stated as income for the individual being granted the options, and the full costs not stated on the company's balance sheet as an expense.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This make no sense (as reported).

He was supposedly selling "secrets" to manufacturers, but other sites are reporting that the manufacturers were case manufacturers? What possible "secrets" could be passed to a case manufacturer that would allow them to make a better deal with Apple when they were negotiating their contract? Sounds bogus to me.

Simple; if you know what other would-be suppliers are bidding on a project, you can undebid them to win the contract.

They get nothing, you get the profit. And with large production runs usual for Apple products, that can be a pretty healthy profit.

Kick backs to the guys passing you the information could be pretty healthy, too.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL Of all the things not to do at Apple that would be the one I?d be most afraid of. I?d rather tug on Superman?s cape or pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger before I leaked secrets at Apple.

...you don't spit into the wind,

...and you don't mess around with Jim

luv it.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

ummm...were they???

Yes. Yes they were.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfinger View Post

His punishment should be to wear faded, ill-fitting, waist high 'Mom' Jeans, cheap white Nike trainers from Target and a Black Turtle Neck sweater for the rest of his life ...

... And no Cellphones but Blackberries.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Was he underpaid ?

Was he part of a conspiracy to sell mixed false and true information ?

I assure you he was underpaid. At least in a relative sense. He may have been an under qualified bumbling idiot who couldn't perform the duties his job entailed (which would put him in the overpaid category) but unless you're listed in the executive bio pages at apple.com, you're pretty much going to be underpaid.

Apple can afford to underpay and still acquire/retain talent because many of those people want to work for Apple (as opposed to any other company) so much that they just settle for the lower income. Some of these people just want to be able to say they work for Apple when asked and being able to do so is worth whatever the delta is between what they're paid working for Apple versus whatever greater amount they could get paid working for a company that's not Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:

He was supposedly selling "secrets" to manufacturers, but other sites are reporting that the manufacturers were case manufacturers? What possible "secrets" could be passed to a case manufacturer that would allow them to make a better deal with Apple when they were negotiating their contract? Sounds bogus to me.

It makes far more sense if he was leaking actual product info as in he was the source of all the recent leaks.

Also, if he supposedly made a million bucks doing this over the course of it, he was seriously underpaid. What kind of a moron ruins their whole life for anything under a few million? He would have been getting only a few tens of thousands per leak it seems. That's not enough to do such a serious crime and possibly (like this guy) lose everything over.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Indeed... this guy must have accumulated $millions in stock via 401K, vested stock and restricted stock that most employees get, especially at the manager level. Especially with a multiple bagger like AAPL. He was already sitting on a gold mine: Apple. Very sad... especially with the IRS and and Apple after him with criminal charges.

I am surprised they were went after our crooked bankers in the same way!
  • Reply 50 of 94
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yes. Yes they were.

No one was fired over stock backdating.

Fred Anderson resigned after everything came out.

Nancy Heinen left in 2006 before the story came out. It has never been mentioned if she was fired or she resigned.

These were the only two people charged with anything and they were charged by the SEC.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Indeed... this guy must have accumulated $millions in stock via 401K, vested stock and restricted stock that most employees get, especially at the manager level.

"Most" employees don't get restricted stock or stock options. Restricted stock options are almost always reserved for "special" talent, not simply someone in a high level position. And why would he get " $millions"?

Quote:

Especially with a multiple bagger like AAPL. He was already sitting on a gold mine: Apple. Very sad... especially with the IRS and and Apple after him with criminal charges.

Apple is filing a civil suit as they cannot file a criminal case. Criminal charges would be be filed by the Attorney General or the Department of Justice (not the IRS).
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There where two problems here.

One is the unofficial leaks. The other is taking money for those leaks. Leaks of consummer interest won't dry up totally but the blatant industrial espionage will. Sometimes it makes one wonder if the ethical issues are worth working in China.

By the way you still would have issues in other parts of the world, it is just that China is well noted for its knock off industries.

Why does everyone blame China? Who's products are being made in China because it's cheaper to build there? Don't blame China because they make most of the world's products blame the cheapskate companies who unethically overwork Chinese people... although from what I've see this doesn't really apply to Apple. I've read their ethics guide and it's pretty much in favour of the worker no matter which country they live in.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Indeed... this guy must have accumulated $millions in stock via 401K, vested stock and restricted stock that most employees get, especially at the manager level. Especially with a multiple bagger like AAPL. He was already sitting on a gold mine: Apple. Very sad... especially with the IRS and and Apple after him with criminal charges.

I am surprised they were went after our crooked bankers in the same way!

Clearly this guy didn't use any of his ill-gotten money to buy legislators.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Everyone can be a criminal, but the overwhelming majority aren't. Price is meaningless, and no matter how big the bribe, it's pretty difficult to enjoy thru bars in your 8x8 cell.

Instead of managing iPods and iPhones, these two can manage their bunks, toilet bowls and shower rape. Cause... everybody has their price!

Thank you Captain Obvious. Very few people are ever in the position to accept a million dollars in bribes.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Has jragosta loggin in here yet to suggest the feds kill the alleged perp?
  • Reply 56 of 94
    This Apple mgr that was indicted would be the man to ask about the Verizon Iphone.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by butnugtt View Post

I assure you he was underpaid. At least in a relative sense. He may have been an under qualified bumbling idiot who couldn't perform the duties his job entailed (which would put him in the overpaid category) but unless you're listed in the executive bio pages at apple.com, you're pretty much going to be underpaid.

Apple can afford to underpay and still acquire/retain talent because many of those people want to work for Apple (as opposed to any other company) so much that they just settle for the lower income. Some of these people just want to be able to say they work for Apple when asked and being able to do so is worth whatever the delta is between what they're paid working for Apple versus whatever greater amount they could get paid working for a company that's not Apple.

You may want to bolster your observations with some actual facts - like, for example, "in a recent corporate managers survey Apple managers were found to be paid in the lower quartile of all managers salaries of that same level of responsibility and experience" according to a Gallup survey of corporate manager salary and compensation packages for the Fortune 50 companies.

Otherwise what you stated above is simply unfounded speculation.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

There should be an asterisk after "inside" and it should say:

*Except for backdating stock options.

There's nothing illegal in backdating options. What is illegal is doing it and not telling the investment community, and listing it on the company report, and tax forms.

They did deal with it properly. The government said that Jobs wasn't guilty if it, and the ones that were, were fired.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:

It makes far more sense if he was leaking actual product info as in he was the source of all the recent leaks.

Also, if he supposedly made a million bucks doing this over the course of it, he was seriously underpaid. What kind of a moron ruins their whole life for anything under a few million? He would have been getting only a few tens of thousands per leak it seems. That's not enough to do such a serious crime and possibly (like this guy) lose everything over.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Case makers would know the shape of the case the would have to make in advance, giving them a lead over competitors. How that would fare in their dealings with Apple, I can't say.

People ruin their lives over much smaller amounts of money, even if they're making good bucks. We see it all the time. No one ever thinks they will be caught.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

So, does it now mean there's a possibility that Apple will begin to use American factories that pay American workers that pay American taxes to support American infrastructure, American healthcare, and American dignity? Or, they might just use one American factory but use foreign workers...oh wait, somebody already thought of that!

You mean the way Hp, Dell, and thousands of other companies do it?