Apple releases Snow Leopard Graphics Update for Mac OS X 10.6

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Snow Leopard Graphics Update, a patch for Mac OS X 10.6 that is said to improve performance and reliability of popular titles like StarCraft II and Portal.

The 69.2MB update was released by Apple Tuesday afternoon. It is available from the company's support site, or via Software Update. It requires Mac OS X 10.6.4.

According to Apple, the software update contains performance and stability fixes for graphics applications, including fixes that:

address frame rate issues occurring in Portal and Team Fortress 2 on certain Macs

resolve an issue that could cause aperture 3 or StarCraft II to unexpectedly quit or become unresponsive.

The update addresses framerate issues on the titles Portal and Team Fortress 2 for the late 2009 and mid 2010 iMac and Mac mini; early 2009 Mac Pro; early 2009 and mid 2010 MacBook; and mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15- and 17-inch models.

The update also resolves an image corruption issue that may occur when disconnecting and reconnecting external displays while the system is running.

Valve, the maker of Portal, Team Fortress 2 and the Steam gaming client for Mac, said in June that it was working with Apple to improve the performance of games running in Mac OS X. The company said that improved drivers from Apple would have the greatest impact on performance.

"We are making a lot of progress identifying specific issues that need work inside the game and inside OpenGL and drivers," Rob Barris of Valve said at the time. "Apple, ATI and Nvidia are all involved."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    My mid-2007 MB Pro nVidia 8600GT had the update available. I wonder if these are WHQL certified?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    does it fix the fatal screen flicker crash?!!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvr4sVfZ8S0
  • Reply 3 of 52
    STILL no OpenGL 3.3 support on 9400M/9600M! Funny that Nvidia has 3.3 drivers out for Windows -- WHERE IS THE MAC SUPPORT?!

OpenGL 3.0 is also STILL not fully supported!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Was all excited there for a moment, thought Starcraft was going to be faster. It needs a speed bump via graphics.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Very cool! That'll help with my brand spanking new iMac. I love updates that fix things and make performance better.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Snow Leopard performance is slightly better than Leopard .
  • Reply 7 of 52
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Anyone done any before/after framerate comparisons, or is this going to be a year long project at Apple to improve performance and eventually get to OpenGL 4.1?
  • Reply 8 of 52
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday released Snow Leopard Graphics Update, a patch for Mac OS X 10.6 that is said to improve performance and reliability of popular titles like StarCraft II and Portal.

Apple is quickly becoming the hottest gaming platform on the market. I think that the console makers should be VERY nervous about now.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

STILL no OpenGL 3.3 support on 9400M/9600M! Funny that Nvidia has 3.3 drivers out for Windows -- WHERE IS THE MAC SUPPORT?!

OpenGL 3.0 is also STILL not fully supported!

You can blame Apple for that.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    Does anyone know if this is intended to fix the apparently widespread problem with unresponsive black screens on MBP 13" models?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2538648
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

You can blame Apple for that.

You can blame Apple for the ridiculous performance gap between leopard and snow leopard, but drivers? Isn't that, like, Nvidia's responsibility?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is quickly becoming the hottest gaming platform on the market. I think that the console makers should be VERY nervous about now.

Apple? As in, Macs combined with iOS? Because maybe, maaayyyybe you have a point when combining all things Apple. But if you're talking about Macs, as much as I love them, when even the PC games market doesn't scare console makers, how in the WORLD would Macs scare them? Now OnLive on the other hand... if I was a console maker, THAT would scare the crap out of me.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

My mid-2007 MB Pro nVidia 8600GT had the update available. I wonder if these are WHQL certified?

You're wondering if the Mac OS X 10.6.4 drivers are Windows Hardware Quality Labs certified?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

why on earth would that matter?

Mac gives no care to Windows Hardware Qualification Labs
  • Reply 15 of 52
    I noticed it's graphics update version 1.0, does it mean we'll be seeing more of those in the future? Like Graphics update 1.1 etc. ? Is that going to be a new Apple habit? (A good one for sure)
  • Reply 16 of 52
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    doesnt help late 2008 macbook pro gaming ... fail. so i guess all my video games will be on my windows desktop ...

why couldnt they have left the graphics alone from 10.6.3/.... it actually worked...
  • Reply 17 of 52
    I hope these become more frequent updates. I think we can all thank Valve for pushing Apple a little bit.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

I hope these become more frequent updates. I think we can all thank Valve for pushing Apple a little bit.

I hope they take OpenGL support more seriously.

-Chris
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

You're wondering if the Mac OS X 10.6.4 drivers are Windows Hardware Quality Labs certified?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjboucher View Post

why on earth would that matter?

Mac gives no care to Windows Hardware Qualification Labs

Wow...really? It was a joke.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    I found that temporarily dropping the desktop screen resolution to 800x600, actually improves Starcraft 2's frame-rate drastically. Ran the game at 1920x1200.

I'm guessing MacOS uses up the video memory...

The game will still run at whatever resolution the game is set to, then you can set your desktop back to normal when you finish.