LG exec proclaims upcoming LG tablet "better than the iPad"

Comments

• Reply 81 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

The iPad is not DESIGNED to be a mass storage device. It is light and limber. Lithe even.

If you really really really need to store huge amounts of content, then the iPad is not for you.

Most people will downsize their content library if they use the iPad a lot. It doesn't have the bloated excess of most "computers" to act as a library of forgotten lore. It is a perfect size. People are just going to start deleting that old crap, and on the off-chance that they MIGHT view it again, they will simply download it again and delete it again.

Simple.

You can have both. For instance, store all the data you like on a desktop and have the iPad around for portable use. No need to choose one or the other.

Still, if there is one flaw in the iPad as it stands, it's that it's not suited to what I used a cheap netbook for. I was overseas on vacation with a hybrid camera that burns through a ton of storage space. My camera requires 16GB for less than an hour of HD video. Buying a lot of SDHC cards would have cost a lot more than buying the netbook.

The iPad would be an outstanding travel companion were it able to store a lot of data off of a camera, still and video, but right now that's not the case. Still photos, sure, but video, no way.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem using my desktop to store huge amounts of data and transfer files as needed onto something like the iPad.
  • Reply 82 of 195
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

iPad may not be good for serious work, but it beats the best "netbook" into the pavement.

Netbooks aren't better at ANYTHING. The iPad is better at EVERYTHING.
  • Reply 83 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister;

I respectfully disagree.

Saw a photo of the prime minister of Denmark managing the country from an iPad while stuck in an airport, another of surgeons using an iPad in the OR, another of a doctor explaining something to his patient using an iPad, another of a rather famous movie director illustrating something to a rather famous actor on an iPad. There are countless other examples.

Tablets and even smartphones can be incredibly productive devices, in the right hands.

I know Americans are not that good at geography but, Norway, not Denmark. Close.

Never-the-less, its not much of an argument when you pitch a politician and a Hollywood director as examples of productivity. Doctors don't fall far behind.

Having had a 3G iPad since the first shipment, I've found it a delight to use and is my main computer. However, anytime I need to get anything serious done, I pick up an Air. It's my least favorite of probably 50 Apple laptops I've had over the years (size, balance, sharp edges, sorta slow). As much as I had hoped the Air would see a new home when I got the iPad, it's simply not the case and I now find myself traveling with both. The lack of an accessible file system is my major issue but there are tons more.

The current iPad is a great start. Buts it's a niche product once you get off the couch.
  • Reply 84 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

WRONG. Thanks troll!

Been using it productively since day one. It's a new key component of my business and primary source of income.

SO wtf are you talking about?

So what productivity software do you use to make the iPad so powerful and the key source of income for your business?
  • Reply 85 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Everyone is bragging about specs while Apple just included a gyroscope, FaceTime, an A4 processor, and improved battery life.

Yep. The A4 is the fastest processor out there, but Apple won't release the specs, because the number doesn't matter. It is the User Experience of having that blazing power under the hood, not the geek-spec bragging rights.
  • Reply 86 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

I'm pretty happy with the current line up, smartphone for on the go immediate info, games, phone calls, etc. A tablet for a relaxed way to browse the web, my photos, do some light work editing documents or pictures or videos, nothing hardcore, just stuff you wanna do slouching on the couch. Then the laptop takes over if Im going to be working for hours and I'm really hashing out something new. Finally, desktops are like consumer based servers, with many of the processing, I/o and disk space of a server but a more natural interface that consumers feel comfortable with.

It sounds to me like the new 7 inch iPad will fit nicely into your Digital Lifestyle. Congrats!
  • Reply 87 of 195
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Wow, this thread seems to be an overblown semantic argument, or at least an argument over poorly defined terms.

I?d say Apple has designed the iPad?s first iteration to be a satellite computing device. Not designed to be your only or main computing device (even though it?s possible to use it that way once you?ve activated it via iTunes, which can be done in an Apple Store).

I?d also say that Apple expects the current iPad to be mostly a consumption device for the majority of users, even though it can easily be used to create as there are apps and specialized uses that focus on creation over consumption. Pedantically speaking it does have a virtual keyboard and can connect to physical keyboard which in itself is used for ?creation?.

I don?t think any reasonable poster who has stated that it?s a consumption device is actually denying that it can be used for (or even primarily used by some) for creation. I think they are saying that the main focus from Apple and the most likely use is consumption. I watched a show on HGTV that used a sponge to create textured walls, but I doubt anyone would argue that is its main use.

Can we not agree that it?s designed to complement your main PC and be optimized for tasks that would tend to benefit a highly mobile , handheld device with a large* screen screen?

* large screen for a mobile, handheld device.
  • Reply 88 of 195
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

You can have both. For instance, store all the data you like on a desktop and have the iPad around for portable use. No need to choose one or the other.

Still, if there is one flaw in the iPad as it stands, it's that it's not suited to what I used a cheap netbook for. I was overseas on vacation with a hybrid camera that burns through a ton of storage space. My camera requires 16GB for less than an hour of HD video. Buying a lot of SDHC cards would have cost a lot more than buying the netbook.

The iPad would be an outstanding travel companion were it able to store a lot of data off of a camera, still and video, but right now that's not the case. Still photos, sure, but video, no way.

Otherwise, I don't have a problem using my desktop to store huge amounts of data and transfer files as needed onto something like the iPad.

I can see that issue being true as I am on vacation and dumping tons of data to my MacBook Pro at the end of every day, both high res RAW pics and HD video from my Sony FX1. Even the internal 500 Gig is useless, I am using an external FW 1 TB drive. It would be nice if there were an external option for some sort of low cost storage, perhaps iPad Mk 2 will have USB3 or Apple will sell a high speed 1 TB WiFi external drive that syncs to the iPad seamlessly (given SJ's penchant to leap ahead in technology).
  • Reply 89 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo;

Let me tell you how great the iPad is as a travel companion. I've been on the road for 2 months now. 4 countries so far. It's a holiday, nothing serious.

Pics - it's useless. No file system, no organizational capability within the Photo app, no editing ability. So, I use 3 different apps to a get the images into the iPad in the first place, edits and Photo Sort to organize them. 3 different apps, 2 different file systems and redundant pics all over the place. Want to respond to an email and throw in some photos, good luck, it's copy and paste one by one and change apps each time. The photo side of the iPad is a joke.

Communications - the weakest wifi I've ever seen. My iPhone and iPod Touch blow it away. 3G with different suppliers, depending on the country, either a huge hassle or no service after a few days (Google if you don't buy this). I've never had any issues with service on the unlocked iPhone.

The mundane administrative things - can't print, can't easily import files, can't do much with many of them anyway.

Fortunately I have an Air with me as I was not convinced the iPad would deliver on my hopes.
  • Reply 90 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow, this thread seems to be an overblown semantic argument, or at least an argument over poorly defined terms.

I?d say Apple has designed the iPad?s first iteration to be a satellite computing device. Not designed to be your only or main computing device (even though it?s possible to use it that way once you?ve activated it via iTunes, which can be done in an Apple Store).

I?d also say that Apple expects the current iPad to be mostly a consumption device for the majority of users, even though it can easily be used to create as there are apps and specialized uses that focus on creation over consumption. Pedantically speaking it does have a virtual keyboard and can connect to physical keyboard which in itself is used for ?creation?.

I don?t think any reasonable poster who has stated that it?s a consumption device is actually denying that it can be used for (or even primarily used by some) for creation. I think they are saying that the main focus from Apple and the most likely use is consumption. I watched a show on HGTV that used a sponge to create textured walls, but I doubt anyone would argue that is its main use.

Can we not agree that it?s designed to complement your main PC and be optimized for tasks that would tend to benefit a highly mobile , handheld device with a large* screen screen?

* large screen for a mobile, handheld device.

Totally correct. I think it is also the case it has opened up some people's imagination to the potential of iOS to be able to cater to a medium level of creation ... if a few extra features were added (e.g. external storage add ons). I suspect Apple have been happy to observe such reactions from users and may well add a few features to help this trend along in future iPad iterations.
  • Reply 91 of 195
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    What was he going to say? "Our product sucks and can't compete"? Again, Apple has an entire ecosystem around a product. Chances are that the LG tab will be either Google Chrome OS or Android, both of which haven't got the ecosystem that Apple has. Unlike LG, Apple is actually innovative. Next...
  • Reply 92 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can see that issue being true as I am on vacation and dumping tons of data to my MacBook Pro at the end of every day, both high res RAW pics andHD video from my Sony FX1. Even the internal 500 Gig is useless, I am using an external FW 1 TB drive. It would be nice if there were an external option for some sort of low cost storage, perhaps iPad Mk 2 will have USB3 or Apple will sell a high speed 1 TB WiFi external drive that syncs to the iPad seamlessly (given SJ's penchant to leap ahead in technology).

So far it seems Apple has no plans to add any support for HDDs to any iOS device. I think a nice large HDD with, say a 30-pin connector dock or even 802.11n WiFi would be a great option for transferring data to and from. Not just images, but also streaming video to others with iOS devices. However, I?d rather see and iOS-based* Apple Home Server first as I think this is lacking in their lineup and would be a better seller more than the mythical xMac or TV.

PS: It?s for this reason I think a low cost iOS-based* TV with no local storage is a viable rumour, or least not one that is so far fetched that it can be discounted immediately. It also makes me think that they may offer two TVs. One with a HDD a mass storage and 1080p for several hundred dollars designed for your main widescreen HDTV (maybe built into the new Mac Mini case) and one that is about as small as an iPod Nano with only 720p maximum that is inexpensive enough to be on the other TVs most people tend to have in their homes these days.

* iOS ≠ CocoaTouch
  • Reply 93 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Let me tell you how great the iPad is as a travel companion. I've been on the road for 2 months now. 4 countries so far. It's a holiday, nothing serious.

Pics - it's useless. No file system, no organizational capability within the Photo app, no editing ability. So, I use 3 different apps to a get the images into the iPad in the first place, edits and Photo Sort to organize them. 3 different apps, 2 different file systems and redundant pics all over the place. Want to respond to an email and throw in some photos, good luck, it's copy and paste one by one and change apps each time. The photo side of the iPad is a joke.

Communications - the weakest wifi I've ever seen. My iPhone and iPod Touch blow it away. 3G with different suppliers, depending on the country, either a huge hassle or no service after a few days (Google if you don't buy this). I've never had any issues with service on the unlocked iPhone.

The mundane administrative things - can't print, can't easily import files, can't do much with many of them anyway.

Fortunately I have an Air with me as I was not convinced the iPad would deliver on my hopes.

I agree as it is now and Solipism summed it all up perfectly. iPad is awesome as an add on device to an existing MacBook or Mac Pro.
  • Reply 94 of 195
    These people are learning from Google, they're heavily taking advantage of the anti Apple attitude of the majority in the media to throw lies left & right. They know the majority will not contradict their lies.

Pity Apple shits its pants regarding PR, still.

: It is called Arrogance.

: Yeah!

: I'll like it to be self assurance.

: Fan boy!
  • Reply 95 of 195
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Agreed. All the regulars in this forum who say that the iPad is the future of computing haven't noticed that Apple lists a computer among the system requirements for the iPad.

This is true for the current model of the iPad. But there's no reason why it will always remain this way. There's no reason why at some point in the future these devices will not need a "computer". Currently, the "computer" is used to activate (initialize), sync, and back up the device.

Furthermore, it's not the dependency that people are talking about, when they say it is the future of computing, it's the experience they're referring to. The iPad does 99% of what most people need from a computer without all the complexities of today's systems. All Apple has to add is the ability to connect peripherals which would be a trivial addition for an OS that already supports it. A simple dock with USB ports on it would suffice. (The Camera Connection Kit already shows what is currently possible with a USB port.)

A major issue with these devices is their storage sizes. There's no way anyone would be able to use one of these devices as their only computer until storage capacities go way up.
  • Reply 96 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

What was he going to say? "Our product sucks and can't compete"? Again, Apple has an entire ecosystem around a product. Chances are that the LG tab will be either Google Chrome OS or Android, both of which haven't got the ecosystem that Apple has. Unlike LG, Apple is actually innovative. Next...

You’re right, and his statement is now riding the wave of Apple’s marketing engine… which was likely the intent. How many articles were written about this yesterday simply because he said it was better than Apple’s iPad? I just hope they can make it a viable competitor. They don’t have to beat Apple in unit sales, revenue or profit to succeed in this nascent market of tablets with efficient mobile OSes, but they do have to have a competent product out of the gate now that they’ve made this old statement. I just hope, for their sake, that they aren’t just blowing hot air.
  • Reply 97 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

There is all these manufacturers, used to using microsoft as their OS for so many years, and now, they're flapping in the breeze. It seems M$ has been pretty quiet on things for some time now. That's why Android is doing so well. I suspect, that not only does M$ was to kill android as much as apple does, but they're gearing up to simply copy apple head to toe, and we'll see all the manufacturers flock to M$.

They don't seem to be copying iOS that much at all. They are certainly working on "a good user experience" but I wouldn't call that "copying" in the sense that "a good user experience" is something that all companies are aiming for.

I'm not so sure they have Android in their sites either, or at least... not as much as they do RIM. To me WP7 seems targeted at gamers, geeks and business people. Probably not a bad idea if you think about it, let Apple and Google fight it out in the consumer space and try to replace RIM by using the leverage they have in their enterprise stack.
  • Reply 98 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far it seems Apple has no plans to add any support for HDDs to any iOS device. I think a nice large HDD with, say a 30-pin connector dock or even 802.11n WiFi would be a great option for transferring data to and from. Not just images, but also streaming video to others with iOS devices. However, I’d rather see and iOS-based* Apple Home Server first as I think this is lacking in their lineup and would be a better seller more than the mythical xMac or TV.

PS: It’s for this reason I think a low cost iOS-based* TV with no local storage is a viable rumour, or least not one that is so far fetched that it can be discounted immediately. It also makes me think that they may offer two TVs. One with a HDD a mass storage and 1080p for several hundred dollars designed for your main widescreen HDTV (maybe built into the new Mac Mini case) and one that is about as small as an iPod Nano with only 720p maximum that is inexpensive enough to be on the other TVs most people tend to have in their homes these days.

* iOS ≠ CocoaTouch

Your ideas on ATV (or is that iTV? LOL ... I laugh as I am originally from UK and know how that is playing out) sound good ... except I suspect SJ is moving away from any local storage for video preferring to push the streaming aspects. That's how it seems to me. Personally I love the ability to store video, both my own and movies and then stream them but I am not necessarily a typical consumer being in the video business.
  • Reply 99 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree as it is now and Solipism summed it all up perfectly. iPad is awesome as an add on device to an existing MacBook or Mac Pro.

Thanks!
  • Reply 100 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Rad to the power of awesome...

Kudos on the awesome post!

You obviously don't rate Bada or Meego? From what I've seen Bada actually looks pretty tight. I haven't seen much of Meego yet.

I'm not sure either have the eco-system to compete in the long-run though.