LG exec proclaims upcoming LG tablet "better than the iPad"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 195
    LG just simply doesnt know what they are doing ... their LG phones cant even beat iphone,, i wonder why LG will talk bullshit like this!! Come on , LG , go home and look at your crappy phones first !
  • Reply 102 of 195
    I can't wait to see how much money LG, HP, and Microsoft loses chasing the iPad.
  • Reply 103 of 195
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

?d also say that Apple expects the current iPad to be mostly a consumption device for the majority of users, even though it can easily be used to create as there are apps and specialized uses that focus on creation over consumption.

Actually if you think about it, a vast majority of users use their "real" computers mostly for consumption and entertainment as well. A lot of iPad critics think from a hobbyists or professionals perspective when they say it could never replace a real computer. And they would be right. The iPad was never meant for "hard core" computing, it is for casual computer usage. People who buy $500 Dells or $300 net books aren't doing anything hard core with their computers either. These computers are mostly used for, entertainment, communication, organization, and personal finances all of which the iPad is more than capable.
  • Reply 104 of 195
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... iOS isn't OS X made for fingers, rather a new OS made specifically from the ground up. ...

Strictly speaking, this is not entirely correct. The foundations of OS X and iOS are pretty much the same. Obviously there are some differences, but the similarities are greater. The primary difference is in the Application/UI layer (and some of the newer lower level layers available on OS X), with one using Cocoa and the Other CocoaTouch. That is a pretty big difference, but not really from the ground up.
  • Reply 105 of 195
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Actually if you think about it, a vast majority of users use their "real" computers mostly for consumption and entertainment as well. A lot of iPad critics think from a hobbyists or professionals perspective when they say it could never replace a real computer. And they would be right. The iPad was never meant for "hard core" computing, it is for casual computer usage. People who buy $500 Dells or $300 net books aren't doing anything hard core with their computers either. These computers are mostly used for, entertainment, communication, organization, and personal finances all of which the iPad is more than capable.

I didn?t want to get into the other side of the issue as I felt it would cloud my point that we?re all pretty much on the same page, but you?re correct. Most of us do use out PCs for consumption. For all the writing I do in my web browser it?s probably 1/10the the amount of reading I do.

Then there are the videos I watch on my I watch. Sure, I do edit and transcode occasionally, but it?s it?s practically non-existance compared to the video I watch.

I think makes a good case for Apple choosing to go with C2D with a better GPU for the 13? notebooks and mini desktop. I also think it makes a good case for Apple offering a 15? and 17? MacBook for those that want a larger display but don?t need the performance, engineering or price tag that comes with the larger MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 106 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Let me tell you how great the iPad is as a travel companion. I've been on the road for 2 months now. 4 countries so far. It's a holiday, nothing serious.

Pics - it's useless. No file system, no organizational capability within the Photo app, no editing ability. So, I use 3 different apps to a get the images into the iPad in the first place, edits and Photo Sort to organize them. 3 different apps, 2 different file systems and redundant pics all over the place. Want to respond to an email and throw in some photos, good luck, it's copy and paste one by one and change apps each time. The photo side of the iPad is a joke.

Communications - the weakest wifi I've ever seen. My iPhone and iPod Touch blow it away. 3G with different suppliers, depending on the country, either a huge hassle or no service after a few days (Google if you don't buy this). I've never had any issues with service on the unlocked iPhone.

The mundane administrative things - can't print, can't easily import files, can't do much with many of them anyway.

Fortunately I have an Air with me as I was not convinced the iPad would deliver on my hopes.

Seems to me that Apple does need to address the iPad's shortcomings in regards to being used abroad in future versions. Quite a few of us would love to be able to get by with just one portable device while travelling. As you point out, the iPad is not that device. But I believe that over the long haul it makes sense that it should be.

That said, I don't think it's realistic to expect the iPad to perform on a par with a decent laptop but the idea of it being designed so that one would be comfortable with using it for basic handling of media while on the road has a lot of merit.

I think the target, though, would be typical vacationers, someone abroad for a few weeks, shooting HD video (most of us do now), wanting to show off pics to family and friends while on the go, etc.

Future versions will address concerns and the hardware will no doubt just keep on getting more powerful. These are early days. For now, though, if I was taking a trip, the iPad would not be the device I'd choose if I could only bring one.
  • Reply 107 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Now we have the likes of US high-tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, HP, Dell, etc. competing against consumer electronics titans likes of Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, etc. and this brawl will make what we've witnessed in the tech industry over the past 20 years seem tame in comparison. You throw in the major telecom players and content providers around the world and this battlefield is one amazingly complex soup of alliances, double-crosses and intense cutthroat wars. This sure beats following MLB and NFL!

Great post in general.

Of course, one of the huge problems that Apple, Dell, MS, etc. face is that a lot of their components are sourced from their competitors. A lot of their manufacturing are done by their competitors. And all this is done in China, which has very little legal IP protection, and if anything, encourages the theft of IP in practice.

I am no American protectionist (in fact, I am not even American) but the Apples and Dells of the world really need to bring their manufacturing back to the US. Their long term interests are really at threat because they've almost reached a situation (although Apple, it seems, has avoided it so far) where their contractors know more about their products than they do themselves.

Along the same vein, one of the things the Android fanbois don't realize that Android is nothing but a Google sponsored transfer of IP from the US to China. Android is essentially giving the Samsungs and LGs a way to compete for free. And all of it is subsidized by advertising. The whole ad sponsored IP giveaway bubble that we are seeing is going to cause much larger problems down the road.
  • Reply 108 of 195
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The iPad would be an outstanding travel companion were it able to store a lot of data off of a camera, still and video, but right now that's not the case. Still photos, sure, but video, no way.

The vast majority of people do not need that capability. It is a tiny, tiny niche.

The iPad is designed for the average Joe.
  • Reply 109 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I don't think you understand at all. Apple groups the documents with their software for your convenience.

If you want a "document-centric" OS, maybe you should go back to Windows.

In windows, you use a confusing file system to try to find some sort of something that you think you remembered making but don't really know what or where.

In iOS, you simply open the app, and there it is right in front of you. EASY!

I never want to see a file structure ever again!

Except the document isn't there right in front of you because it's in a different app. Seriously how is it convenient, this is my exact problem with the iPhone. I write a word doc in Quick Office, then what? It's stuck on my phone, I can't email it to the person its for as Mail can't access the document. Or any other task where you need to use different apps for different things with the same files. The only real area that works well so far is the fact you can access photo's from different apps, but even that's not perfect.
  • Reply 110 of 195
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Pics - it's useless. No file system, no organizational capability within the Photo app, no editing ability. So, I use 3 different apps to a get the images into the iPad in the first place, edits and Photo Sort to organize them. 3 different apps, 2 different file systems and redundant pics all over the place. Want to respond to an email and throw in some photos, good luck, it's copy and paste one by one and change apps each time. The photo side of the iPad is a joke.

I'm sorry but this is a load of s&%!. Three things:

First, you don't need any apps to import pics to your iPad - only the camera connection kit.

Second, no editing ability? There are many apps available on the app store for light editing.

Third, you don't have to copy and paste pictures to add to an email. You simply check them and hit the email button. As you can see, I have 5 pictures selected for this email. Not one at a time like you claim:

• Reply 111 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

So what productivity software do you use to make the iPad so powerful and the key source of income for your business?

He never said that. He said that the iPad is the PRIMARY source of income for his business. I wonder what he used before, and how much more money he makes now that he has the productivity inherent in the iPad.
  • Reply 112 of 195
    Apple has put a good product out there with the iPad and set the standard for tablets.The iPad was developed on the base of the iPhone and with the first three generations have funded their tablet. With so much cash in reserve, Apple can turn those products flying off the assembling line. LG will sell their share but the Apple OS will continue to bring those PC people over to Apple.
  • Reply 113 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Pedantically speaking it does have a virtual keyboard and can connect to physical keyboard which in itself is used for ?creation?.

My Auntie Millie answers my emails using her iPad. THAT IS CONTENT CREATION.

Anybody who says that the iPad is not the best way to create content needs to send an email to my Auntie Millie, and she will prove them wrong.
  • Reply 114 of 195
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

Why would this be a good idea? If you could actually make a tablet as functional as a laptop, it would destroy laptop sales. I'm pretty happy with the current line up, smartphone for on the go immediate info, games, phone calls, etc. A tablet for a relaxed way to browse the web, my photos, do some light work editing documents or pictures or videos, nothing hardcore, just stuff you wanna do slouching on the couch. Then the laptop takes over if Im going to be working for hours and I'm really hashing out something new. Finally, desktops are like consumer based servers, with many of the processing, I/o and disk space of a server but a more natural interface that consumers feel comfortable with.

The iPad firm factor isn't nearly as condusive to long stretches of work as my laptop, nor is my laptop as conducive to leisurely reading or browsing my photos. The point of the iPad, like the iPhone, is to expand computing to another level, not defeat the devices that came before it. This is not to say no one will create great stuff on phones or laptops, they will more and more everyday, but for a tablet to completely make the laptop obsolete would only harm the very companies producing them, it's not the future.

So when a company invents a new and better way to accomplish things on a tablet computer, they are going to decide to not implement for the sake of laptop or pocketable device sales. I don't think the future of mobile computing will play out like that. New paradigms will replace old ones and new technologies will replace old tech.
  • Reply 115 of 195
    Quote:

Let me tell you how great the iPad is as a travel companion. I've been on the road for 2 months now. 4 countries so far. It's a holiday, nothing serious.

Communications - the weakest wifi I've ever seen. My iPhone and iPod Touch blow it away. 3G with different suppliers, depending on the country, either a huge hassle or no service after a few days (Google if you don't buy this). I've never had any issues with service on the unlocked iPhone.

The mundane administrative things - can't print, can't easily import files, can't do much with many of them anyway.

I don't think you understand what the iPad is all about. You might be happier with an MBP.

Why do these haters focus on what the iPad WONT do, because it is NOT DESIGNED TO DO THAT, rather than on just about everything else, which the iPad is better at than anything else out there?
  • Reply 116 of 195
    Quote:

The iPad does 99% of what most people need from a computer without all the complexities of today's systems.

I think that 99% is way to conservative.
  • Reply 117 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Except the document isn't there right in front of you because it's in a different app. Seriously how is it convenient, this is my exact problem with the iPhone. I write a word doc in Quick Office, then what? It's stuck on my phone, I can't email it to the person its for as Mail can't access the document. Or any other task where you need to use different apps for different things with the same files. The only real area that works well so far is the fact you can access photo's from different apps, but even that's not perfect.

It is designed from the ground up to be convenient for the vast majority of users. You seem to think that Apple should change its whole design philosophy because of one specialized use that you alone do.
  • Reply 118 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm sorry but this is a load of s&%!. Three things:

First, you don't need any apps to import pics to your iPad - only the camera connection kit.

Second, no editing ability? There are many apps available on the app store for light editing.

Third, you don't have to copy and paste pictures to add to an email. You simply check them and hit the email button. As you can see, I have 5 pictures selected for this email. Not one at a time like you claim:

Save your breath. He knew all that already, but he hates Apple. He probably works for LG.
  • Reply 119 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

It seems M$ has been pretty quiet on things for some time now. That's why Android is doing so well. I suspect, that not only does M$ was to kill android as much as apple does, but they're gearing up to simply copy apple head to toe, and we'll see all the manufacturers flock to M$.

I don't really see that happening. Out of all the different players Microsoft seem the only ones trying do still do something different. Rather than a basic OS for tablets there sticking with Windows, and rather than copy the iPhone there making it different with WP7. Which IMO is the right thing to do, every other phone irrespective of if it is better or worse than the iPhone currently looks worse than the iPhone as it's trying to replicate the iPhone, and if you replicate your never as good.

Quote:

This is true for the current model of the iPad. But there's no reason why it will always remain this way. There's no reason why at some point in the future these devices will not need a "computer". Currently, the "computer" is used to activate (initialize), sync, and back up the device.

If this was the case though, you have to ask why did we start at this point? The level of ability a tablet from Apple could do is what OS X and Windows do. But what we have is a device reliant on another computer, doesn't have a file system, only loads programs from a closed system and basically has lots of limitations. Each one of these limitations didn't need to be there but Apple decided they should be. Now it could be that this was just a decision to make the initial product lack features on purpose just so they could put them in again and get people to re-buy the product or they have different ideas about what it's for. Either way is the fact is as the guy said to anyone saying the iPads going to replace computers, it currently does have a computer listed as a requirement so in the short term it cant.
  • Reply 120 of 195
    From the WSJ article: Mr. Ma said he believes there is an opportunity for LG to catch up in the smartphone market. "The race hasn't started yet," he said.

It's fair to assert the race isn't over, but not started? Really? The iPhone is how many years old? How many Android phones are out already? With insight like that, I'm glad I'm not an LG shareholder.